Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office 6-6/6-8 Cancer kicks Tom Cruise's Edge

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Box Office 6-6/6-8 Cancer kicks Tom Cruise's Edge

Old 06-08-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Box Office 6-6/6-8 Cancer kicks Tom Cruise's Edge

I kind of think the problem is just that Cruise's star power is fading because audiences don't really show up for "movie stars" anymore. It basically all comes down to trailers and marketing. This also shows that females will turn out in droves to catch a movie but you have to make sure you pick the "right" movie to get them out.
Old 06-08-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Is there any chance Edge of Tomorrow will get good word of mouth and have some legs?

Obviously, not a good start at the U.S. box office.
Old 06-08-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Is there any chance Edge of Tomorrow will get good word of mouth and have some legs?
As a summer release? I would say no chance. It will be quickly forgotten when the next big release come out. Any other time of year, maybe.
Old 06-08-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Hmmm...it seems that FAULT is cutting, at least temporarily, into MALEFICENT's audience. Interesting that two such heavy young female-skewing films would open a week apart. I wonder if anyone in the front office at Disney considered that.

Check out these paragraphs from Box Office Guru:

Studio research showed that Fault skewed 82% female and 79% to an under-25 audience. This crowd has become increasingly difficult to get into a movie theater so the film demonstrated how strong the book's brand was.

Fault opened bigger than most every other romantic drama in history beating out hits like Channing Tatum's The Vow ($41.2M) and Dear John ($30.5M) plus coming very close to last summer's 3D spectacle The Great Gatsby ($50.1M) starring Leonardo DiCaprio. This film used female starpower instead of a male heartthrob to drive in sales.

Angelina Jolie enjoyed a respectable hold for her fairy tale adventure Maleficent which settled for second place in its second weekend with an estimated $33.5M. The 52% drop was reasonable given the huge debut it was coming off of - Jolie's biggest ever. The Disney hit actually ranked number one on both Saturday and Sunday, but lost the weekend crown thanks to Fault's massive upfront showing on Thursday night and Friday. With $127.4M to date, Maleficent looks to be on course to finish with around $210M in North America.

Overseas markets once again delivered muscular numbers. The family-friendly pic grossed an estimated $59.7M boosting the international total to $208.1M and the global haul to $335.5M with plenty more to go as China and Japan have yet to open. Just as her fiancé Brad Pitt did last summer with World War Z, Jolie is set to surpass all previous films in her career and see Maleficent become her highest grossing film of all-time.

Not setting career records, Tom Cruise's latest big-budget action film Edge of Tomorrow opened in third place with an estimated $29.1M which was about right for what he attracts these days in these kinds of movies. The Warner Bros. release averaged $8,340 from 3,490 locations and played to a crowd of sci-fi-loving adult men. Studio research showed that the crowd was 61% male and 73% over 25.

Film critics were praising Edge but popcorn crowds thought it was just ok. The CinemaScore was a decent B+. Now in his fourth decade of entertaining the masses, Cruise does not attract as broad of a moviegoing audience as he used to, in North America at least. Plus this was the fourth action tentpole in just six weeks. But the fans that did come out for Edge spent solid amounts on the PG-13 film's premium options. 47% of the gross came from 3D screens and 14% came from the 349 IMAX locations. Both are impressive shares by today's standards.

Overall, the $178M-budgeted Edge opened in the same range as two of last summer's star-driven futuristic sci-fi action films which were also non-sequels. Will Smith's critically-panned After Earth bowed to $27.5M while Matt Damon's R-rated Elysium debuted to $29.8M. Tomorrow opened 22% below the $37.1M of Tom Cruise's last film Oblivion which was also a sci-fi action flick set in the future. Doing similar movies back to back may have led some audiences to feel as if they did not need to check in this other time around.
For the whole thing, here's the link:

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm
Old 06-08-14, 06:13 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
As a summer release? I would say no chance. It will be quickly forgotten when the next big release come out. Any other time of year, maybe.
There's no direct competition until Transformers. I can't think of any recent action movie that had strong legs.

And robin is right, Cruise isn't a draw like he used to be, but he still helped open the film probably better than anyone else would have.
Old 06-08-14, 06:19 PM

To a degree, I think 22 Jump Street is competition, and I expect it to dominate the box office next weekend.
Old 06-08-14, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
To a degree, I think 22 Jump Street is competition, and I expect it to dominate the box office next weekend.
Will anyone intending to see 22 Jump Street be conflicted about whether or not to see that or Edge of Tomorrow? Somehow I doubt it.
Old 06-08-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No freakin' way it's making $150 million in North America. It will be lucky to make it to $80 million here. I'm thinking more like $300 million worldwide at this point.
Hey, I'm hoping it has some legs. Trying to send some good karma it's way
Old 06-08-14, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
Will anyone intending to see 22 Jump Street be conflicted about whether or not to see that or Edge of Tomorrow? Somehow I doubt it.
Technically they're both action comedies.

But still, maybe not exactly the scenario you're laying out, but I could see someone having some mild interest in Edge of Tomorrow, heard the good word of mouth, and who would maybe go see it if nothing else they were interested in came along, opting not to see it because they'd rather see 22 Jump Street.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 06-08-14 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Given that Edge of Tomorrow is skewing towards male audiences, it wouldn't be surprising that the same demographic is the one that would want to watch 22 Jump Street even if it's a different genre.

I also wonder if there's some fatigue after X-Men was future/sci-fi oriented action too.
Old 06-08-14, 09:14 PM

Probably the latter. Comedies tend to have to compete more with other comedies than any other genre. Plus one is a sequel to a very successful movie, and presumably has a built-in audience that would go see it not matter if there's some Tom Cruise movie out there. It'll probably open bigger than the first movie, and hence the reason it's a summer release this time around.
Old 06-08-14, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
Probably the latter. Comedies tend to have to compete more with other comedies than any other genre. Plus one is a sequel to a very successful movie, and presumably has a built-in audience that would go see it not matter if there's some Tom Cruise movie out there. It'll probably open bigger than the first movie, and hence the reason it's a summer release this time around.
All true, but let's say my buddies and I want to go the movies this weekend, it's the only time we get together. If 22 Jump Street isn't out this weekend, there's a good chance that our movie of choice is Edge of Tomorrow. It may not be a huge factor, but I do think it's a factor.
Old 06-08-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

22 will prob grab 50m+ next wknd easy, of course it's a factor. Best case scenario Edge has average drops, gets 80+ here, 300+international.
Old 06-08-14, 09:40 PM

Edge of Tomorrow's turnout was mostly people over 25, while half of the first Jump Street audience was under 25. Sure, there may be some overlap, but not enough to really effect either movie's performance too much. Certainly not enough to make Edge a hit or not. Kind of why I think it's funny that the headline is Fault beating Edge this weekend, as if either one had a similar audience demographically.
Old 06-08-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
22 will prob grab 50m+ next wknd easy, of course it's a factor. Best case scenario Edge has average drops, gets 80+ here, 300+international.
Next week is also How to Train Your Dragon 2. while yes itll heavily skewer families and kids, the series does seem to have a fantasy fanboy type of following as well.
Old 06-08-14, 11:04 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People seem to be confused about what Edge of Tomorrow is about, while in line with my girlfriend to see X-Men someone behind us said "Is Edge of Tomorrow a video game" keep in mind they were like 19-20.
Old 06-08-14, 11:09 PM
Suspended

But then keep in mind over the summer most people don't watch TV besides stuff like Game of Thrones. So if something hasn't gone viral like 22 Jump Street seems to have, have you seem the online ad of Channing Tatum throwing the dildo at Jonah Hill? Hilarious. Or the stuff the girl from Workaholics did that's apparently in the movie did, no one cares.
Old 06-08-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Saw X-men last night and during the previews, 22 Jump Street got a great reaction, but it seemed like Let's Be Cops got more laughs. Could be the sleeper comedy this year.
Old 06-08-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am really surprised The Fault in Our Stars made that much. I was thinking it would be a hit if it made $20 million. Shows what I know about box office.
Old 06-09-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Given that Edge of Tomorrow is skewing towards male audiences, it wouldn't be surprising that the same demographic is the one that would want to watch 22 Jump Street even if it's a different genre.

I also wonder if there's some fatigue after X-Men was future/sci-fi oriented action too.
Channing Tatum is in it. That equals women at the theaters.
Old 06-09-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Saw X-men last night and during the previews, 22 Jump Street got a great reaction, but it seemed like Let's Be Cops got more laughs. Could be the sleeper comedy this year.
I could see that but the few people I know that have seen early screenings said the best part were in the trailers.

Honestly, I think Tom Cruise's star power hasn't recovered from the Oprah breakdown and his overall views on Scientology. I think a lot of people still have a difficult time separating his roles from his personal life. I personally don't have a problem because I think he can knock a role out of the park, but he doesn't hold the same appeal he did before all that nonsense.
Old 06-09-14, 04:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I saw Let's Be Cops already and posted a review in the thread, the best parts of the movie really are in the trailer, it's not bad but it's not great. My biggest problem is that Jake Johnson's character is supposed to be an ex college football QB but apparently he can get knocked out by kids playing football in the park they should have made that Damon Wayan's , Jr.'s character's storyline.

Tom Cruise's weird Scientology antics may be hurting him at the box office as well. A lot of people are turned off by that kind of stuff.
Old 06-09-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

I think Edge of Tomorrow just didn't advertise well, big star power boosts a movie that looks interesting, but won't resuscitate a movie that's DOA. EoT was neither, it just looked forgettable.
Old 06-09-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Channing Tatum is in it. That equals women at the theaters.
I bet the Warner execs are kicking themselves for not casting Channing Tatum in EOT.
Old 06-09-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I bet the Warner execs are kicking themselves for not casting Channing Tatum in EOT.
Touche.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.