Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

The technology is getting closer, but it ain't there yet.

Mind you, I don't think this is a "bad" effort or anything. Just not effective enough for me, personally, to continue appreciating the scenes in which his digital presence brings the authenticity down, which also keeps me from wanting to return to Rogue One.
Old 04-10-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

I think some people are more sensitive then others when seeing these CG characters, especially trying to put together real people. I'd hardly consider it nitpicking or going out of their way to complain.
Old 04-10-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
... in general, sorta, yeah. You get used to an actor's physical attributes and imperfections while watching them, because they're inherently part of them.
Wow, really? His mole? Ok..

The longer digital Tarkin "lives" in the otherwise practical space that he inhabits, the less realistic he appears, thus the less "alive" he appears. And he's there for a fairly lengthy amount of time.
I simply did not have that problem. No way am i saying it was perfect, but the way you guys are being distracted by it is too bad.
Old 04-10-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think some people are more sensitive then others when seeing these CG characters, especially trying to put together real people. I'd hardly consider it nitpicking or going out of their way to complain.
Naw, it's very nitpicky. When people love a film things like this are ignored or "forgiven". When they have issues with a film, every single thing becomes...well, "a thing" and you get pages and pages of repetitive complaining. This thread has become a DCEU thread.
Old 04-10-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wow, really? His mole? Ok..
Sure, but the logic goes for all sorts of distinguishing traits for actors. Scars, jawlines, bags under their eyes: everything that makes up an actor's physical appearance. I'm still not really getting why that's significant, though, since the "increasing artifical" referenced in my post was about the full digital recreation of a human character, and how it "lives" in the same space with real people and sets. Whether it's comparing against the other humans in the room or against Peter Cushing himself, there are tangible differences that grow more prominent the longer CG-Tarkin stays onscreen.

Naw, it's very nitpicky. When people love a film things like this are ignored or "forgiven". When they have issues with a film, every single thing becomes...well, "a thing" and you get pages and pages of repetitive complaining. This thread has become a DCEU thread.
In general, I actually liked Rogue One.

The digital effects surrounding Tarkin limit that to one-shot relative enjoyment of the movie, though, instead of a prequel I would want to watch in front of future screenings of A New Hope.
Old 04-10-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not taking about general issues, i'm talking specifically about pointing out CGI characters that work or don't work for them. I don't think saying Tarkin doesn't look good to them is being nitpicky at all, and can be judged independently of the rest of the movie. I hated Rogue One but have mixed feelings on Tarkin/Leia. I liked Justice League but can say Cavil's mustache work looked like shit (and worse then Tarkin/Leia).

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-10-18 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Tarkin wasn’t fully CG was he? I think there was actually an actor but they superimposed Cushing’s face. Maybe its not perfect but I didn’t find it that distracting.
Old 04-10-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Even if the technical effect is perfect, I still think it's morbid to recreate a deceased actor in a movie role. I know his estate approved it and made some money, I just couldn't help wondering if Cushing would have agreed to be in Rogue One. To me it's no different than using Gene Kelly to sell a vacuum. During the Tarkin scenes I was thinking about the ethical implications instead of focusing on the story.
Old 04-10-18, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I didn’t have an issue with Rogue One Tarkin but I would have preferred they kept him in the shadows a bit more. The more well lit he was the more obvious the CG became.

Still, CG Tarkin is worlds better than CG Leia.
Old 04-10-18, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mike86
Tarkin wasn’t fully CG was he? I think there was actually an actor but they superimposed Cushing’s face.

Depends on your definition of full CG, I guess. But yeah, everything from the collarbone down was the actor. Everything from the collarbone up was layers of digital effects.
Old 04-10-18, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The actor in the mocap stuff looks a lot like Cushing, too.
Old 04-10-18, 11:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Even if the technical effect is perfect, I still think it's morbid to recreate a deceased actor in a movie role. I know his estate approved it and made some money, I just couldn't help wondering if Cushing would have agreed to be in Rogue One. To me it's no different than using Gene Kelly to sell a vacuum. During the Tarkin scenes I was thinking about the ethical implications instead of focusing on the story.
I've had that thought as well. It's macabre and unsettling, even if it seems momentarily cool to have more scenes with this character that can't be in other movies.
Old 04-11-18, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't know why they just didn't use the actor who played Tarkin in ROTS, as that guy looked exactly like him. They could have made him up alittle bit to look older for ANH timeline.

And I think the ending should have just been Leia from behind getting the plans with her hood on and the movie ended. As I said before, her face just felt off before.
Old 04-11-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I've had that thought as well. It's macabre and unsettling, even if it seems momentarily cool to have more scenes with this character that can't be in other movies.
It's something we'll probably have to get used to. As technology improves, this will probably become commonplace.

Though I have to wonder if there would be any interest in the obvious applications of this, like creating new Star Trek TOS episodes or OT-era Star Wars films, as when the technology finally becomes mature, if there will be enough living fans of those things to make it worthwhile.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-11-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Even if the technical effect is perfect, I still think it's morbid to recreate a deceased actor in a movie role. I know his estate approved it and made some money, I just couldn't help wondering if Cushing would have agreed to be in Rogue One.
But unlike Alec Guinness, didn't Cushing actually enjoy his time on Star Wars, ill-fitting boots notwithstanding... I would like to think he would probably do it. But who knows..

To me it's no different than using Gene Kelly to sell a vacuum. During the Tarkin scenes I was thinking about the ethical implications instead of focusing on the story.
I'd rather see dead actors CGI'd into their iconic roles than product ads. This to me is a far less tasteless use of a dead actor's image, I'm ok with CGI/Actor Tarkin.
Old 04-11-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
https://youtu.be/KsuvXHGCVXE

The technology is getting closer, but it ain't there yet.

Mind you, I don't think this is a "bad" effort or anything. Just not effective enough for me, personally, to continue appreciating the scenes in which his digital presence brings the authenticity down, which also keeps me from wanting to return to Rogue One.
You're right. The one on the left looks terrible.
Old 04-11-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's something we'll probably have to get used to. As technology improves, this will probably become commonplace.

Though I have to wonder if there would be any interest in the obvious applications of this, like creating new Star Trek TOS episodes or OT-era Star Wars films, as when the technology finally becomes mature, there will be enough living fans of those things to make it worthwhile.
I think that would be weird if there were ever full films or episodes featuring deceased actors made to mine the popularity of a franchise for more money. The Tarkin situation didn’t bother me because while he’s got a decent amount of screen time it’s not that much. It probably adds up to less than ten minutes, maybe even five. To me it seemed like it was done to accent the film and give it more of the feel of the Original Trilogy but wasn’t over done. I didn’t find it in poor taste and personally feel that if the family gave approval I don’t need to have a problem with it.
Old 04-11-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
You're right. The one on the left looks terrible.
Looks worse now.
Old 04-11-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

everything looks like a videogame cut scene these days.
Old 04-11-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Jesusfuckingchrist, you mouth breathers still goin' on about CGI Tarkin? Give it a fucking rest already. Sheesh.
Old 04-11-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think that would be weird if there were ever full films or episodes featuring deceased actors made to mine the popularity of a franchise for more money. The Tarkin situation didn’t bother me because while he’s got a decent amount of screen time it’s not that much. It probably adds up to less than ten minutes, maybe even five. To me it seemed like it was done to accent the film and give it more of the feel of the Original Trilogy but wasn’t over done. I didn’t find it in poor taste and personally feel that if the family gave approval I don’t need to have a problem with it.
I wonder if in the near future actors will have to start having a clause in their contracts prohibiting their cgi likeness from being used in future installments of any franchises after their death.
Old 04-11-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Jesusfuckingchrist, you mouth breathers still goin' on about CGI Tarkin? Give it a fucking rest already. Sheesh.
You're so cool.
Old 04-11-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But unlike Alec Guinness, didn't Cushing actually enjoy his time on Star Wars, ill-fitting boots notwithstanding... I would like to think he would probably do it. But who knows..
Still, he can't consent to his likeness being used if he's dead. Seeing a special effect of a dead actor on screen just kept pulling me out of the movie.
Old 04-11-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

They should have just cast Meryl Streep to be Tarkin.
Old 04-11-18, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If a character is so essential to the story, I do think they should just recast it. I'm not sure why Tarkin was essential to Rogue One, I think Krennic and Vader could've handled all of the villainous duties just fine. It seems to me like Disney wanted to test run this technology if they ever feel compelled to use it for one of the primary characters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.