Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Just the overacting, the overdramatic music and shots chosen for the trailer. This is supposed to be a fun pulp adventure series not a dramatic political thriller.
I actually want to see the WAR part of Star Wars.
Old 11-14-16, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Just the overacting, the overdramatic music and shots chosen for the trailer. This is supposed to be a fun pulp adventure series not a dramatic political thriller.
Thank you for clarifying. After the hype over the reshoots, it will be interesting to see what the tone of this actually is. I thought the subsequent trailers tried to play more on the characters than the story.

I don't mind the dramatic political thriller aspect as long as it works; after all this is a film about espionage and rebellion. Politics have ultimately been the driver behind the movies. Unfortunately Lucas got too bogged down in it with the prequels. It worked for Captain America and I think they could make it work here.
Old 11-14-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Thank you for clarifying. After the hype over the reshoots, it will be interesting to see what the tone of this actually is. I thought the subsequent trailers tried to play more on the characters than the story.

I don't mind the dramatic political thriller aspect as long as it works; after all this is a film about espionage and rebellion. Politics have ultimately been the driver behind the movies. Unfortunately Lucas got too bogged down in it with the prequels. It worked for Captain America and I think they could make it work here.
As long as it isn't too serious and retains moments of wonder and adventure which Winter Soldier did pretty well then it could be great. Like I said it looked great until this particular trailer. If this helps further to explain my feelings, my least favorite Star Wars movie of the OT is Empire due to the dark over-dramatic tone of the movie for the most part.
Old 11-14-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I actually want to see the WAR part of Star Wars.
Within the context of a light pulp adventure series I agree. I don't need a Saving Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge version of Star Wars. And no I dont really think that is what this movie is but the trailer I saw definitely is way more serious than the previous ones I saw.
Old 11-15-16, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

There is nothing about the trailers that make this look like a political thriller. Maybe you can point to Jyn giving a rally speech... but not every second of every film can be comedic or action packed.
Old 11-15-16, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when are they going to sell tickets????
Old 11-15-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
There is nothing about the trailers that make this look like a political thriller. Maybe you can point to Jyn giving a rally speech... but not every second of every film can be comedic or action packed.
The entire plot is a political thriller as is the original Star Wars when you boil it down.

I am saying the trailer I saw emphasized that aspect of it rather than the action/adventure/sci-fi aspect that the previous trailers had focused on.

But good to know that you were inside my head and knew how I reacted to it when I saw it.

I have friends who still insist Winter Soldier was just a dumb superhero action flick with no political leanings or influences from a thriller.

I can't believe this still must be reiterated in 2016 on a message board but YMMV.
Old 11-15-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So if I were to react to the trailer and think it's a rom-com, would you read my posts and need to "be in my head" to know that that's a fucking stupid sentiment? Come on.
Old 11-15-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw a trailer that IN MY FUCKING OPINION played up the political aspect of the movie which in case you are ignorant of the Star Wars saga is a part of it by relying on over-dramatic music cues, overacting, and visuals of rallying speeches and tactical meetings related to stealing an enemy's war plans and you cannot see how someone could interpret that as them playing up the politcal aspect rather than the pulp adventure stuff that most previous trailers have shown and the movies themselves have been?

Again I point to Winter Soldier, if someone saw a trailer for that movie showing the stuff with Robert Redford would you call someone who notice the political aspects of the movie stupid?

Just put me on your ignore list please, I have no use for people denigrating other points of view or interpretations. I explained how I felt when I saw this trailer and you respond by first implying I am imagining it, then calling what I said stupid.

I am done with you and this subject.
Old 11-15-16, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.... someone took this shit personal.

I think Rogue One has to tonally not be anything like the main saga. It's story where we know wtf happens after this story ends. It's got to be more serious than the main saga. Nor do I think it'll be some serious motherfucker of a thing. We can see that it isn't.

ESB is the best film of the franchise. It also totally fits into the pulp nonsense that inspired it. Can't always be all happy and shit. The heroes don't win all the time. I hope all these characters die and then we end it w/ a glimmer of hope being that the information is gotten or getting to Leia. Boom. Hope ends the film.
Old 11-15-16, 03:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I'm curious to know what the end scene will be. We don't see any of these characters, obviously, in the other movies, so it could be more somber then people think and no real payoff moment that SW does so well...
Old 11-15-16, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

My guess is the Tantive IV is involved somehow in the final scene.
Old 11-16-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I'm curious to know what the end scene will be. We don't see any of these characters, obviously, in the other movies, so it could be more somber then people think and no real payoff moment that SW does so well...
At the end of the movie they will all live happily ever after on Alderaan.
Old 11-16-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a trailer that IN MY FUCKING OPINION played up the political aspect of the movie which in case you are ignorant of the Star Wars saga is a part of it by relying on over-dramatic music cues, overacting, and visuals of rallying speeches and tactical meetings related to stealing an enemy's war plans and you cannot see how someone could interpret that as them playing up the politcal aspect rather than the pulp adventure stuff that most previous trailers have shown and the movies themselves have been?

Again I point to Winter Soldier, if someone saw a trailer for that movie showing the stuff with Robert Redford would you call someone who notice the political aspects of the movie stupid?

Just put me on your ignore list please, I have no use for people denigrating other points of view or interpretations. I explained how I felt when I saw this trailer and you respond by first implying I am imagining it, then calling what I said stupid.

I am done with you and this subject.
I'm just wondering what unique trailer you were privy to that focuses on the political side of this movie? You're getting a tad worked up over something so stupid... relax.
Old 11-16-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm just wondering what unique trailer you were privy to that focuses on the political side of this movie? You're getting a tad worked up over something so stupid... relax.
Rob V, just leave it alone please, and stop poking the hornet's nest!
Unclejosh obviously got upset about you using the word stupid to describe his opinion, and then you use the word again in responding to him.
Everyone does not have to agree with one another.
Old 11-16-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a Rogue One TV special later this month (25th?).

Think they will have Episode VIII teaser/title there? Still too early?
Old 11-16-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clappj
Rob V, just leave it alone please, and stop poking the hornet's nest!
Unclejosh obviously got upset about you using the word stupid to describe his opinion, and then you use the word again in responding to him.
Everyone does not have to agree with one another.
Ok, well to clarify, I wasn't calling his opinion stupid. If it appeared that way, my apologies.

Sorry unclejosh, wasn't trying to be a dick.
Old 11-16-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger

I hope so, but I think the trailer may be tied to the R1 release in theaters at first.
Old 11-16-16, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
My guess is the Tantive IV is involved somehow in the final scene.
I'm guessing we'll have a sense of jubilation as the Tantive IV takes off, or goes on it's way (after being boarded in mid flight to pass the data). Probably after some battle that the rebels are able to triumph (or at least some of the rebels that we care about).

But the very last shot is going to be an ominous shadow or hint of the Star Destroyer trailing them at a distance.

The point being that the dramatic arc of the film can end on a cathartic up beat, while still being able to segue seamlessly into the next chapter.

Seems kind of obvious, but maybe too obvious for them to actually go there.
we'll see.

Just hope the studio interference hasn't done too much damage.
Old 11-16-16, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger

Channel?
Old 11-16-16, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to guess ABC... cuz... you know... it's owned by Disney.
Old 11-16-16, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm going to guess ABC... cuz... you know... it's owned by Disney.
Figured. Checked and no special shows up on 25th...
Old 11-17-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Old 11-17-16, 07:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

dammit this just looks so fucking good to me...
Old 11-17-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
dammit this just looks so fucking good to me...
Me too. I am PUMPED for this. Trying to to let my expectations get too high.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.