Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Isn't Page Six a gossip rag? Every major movie has "expensive reshoots". Not sure why this would be news unless they have major revelations, which is seems they do not.
Yes, it's a gossip rag -- but I believe they revealed the Han Solo casting before it was official, so some of their "inside sources" are reliable.

Additional photography is common, but (if true) a month of reshoots this late in the game does indicate the studio wants to change a large portion of the film. I wasn't thrilled with Godzilla, so I never got hyped about Edwards directing this... then there were rumors of serious script issues even during production. I hope the final product is entertaining, but it does sound like there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen on this one.
Old 05-31-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Perhaps the movie is bad and needs reshoots to make it better. But my worry is that the studio execs don't seen enough merchandising opportunities and/or want to lighten the tone and are having second thoughts about a "dark" SW movie.
Old 05-31-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if the overwhelming success of Episode VII has also created new expectations for these spinoffs.
Old 05-31-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hopefully they cut out the "I rebel" line. Who wrote this dialogue? George Lucas?
Old 05-31-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Perhaps the movie is bad and needs reshoots to make it better. But my worry is that the studio execs don't seen enough merchandising opportunities and/or want to lighten the tone and are having second thoughts about a "dark" SW movie.
Agree with this... let's have a nice, dark movie based on the SW universe. Enough with the kid friendly stuff.
Old 05-31-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Pretty sure that's what's been promised with Episode VIII.
Old 05-31-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 06-01-16, 11:37 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

A little more info from THR

Star Wars stand-alone movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will undergo several weeks’ worth of additional shooting, sources have confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Much of the cast and director Gareth Edwards will regroup in mid-June for another round of shooting. The move is happening after execs screened the film and felt it was tonally off with what a “classic” Star Wars movie should feel like. The pic has not yet been tested before audiences, but one source describes the cut as having the feel of a war movie.

The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.

Rogue One focuses on the fabled mission hinted at in Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope, that of a group of rebels stealing the plans to the Death Star. The plans later end up in the hands of Princess Leia, who transfers them to R2-D2.

“This is the closest thing to a prequel ever,” a source tells THR. “This takes place just before A New Hope and leads up to the 10 minutes before that classic film begins. You have to match the tone!”

And while it’s not confirmed, some suggest that the new shooting could pave the way for an appearance of Han Solo as played by Alden Ehrenreich. The actor only recently nabbed the role of the spice smuggler and was not involved in Rogue One’s principal photography, which ran from last August to February.

Disney re-introduced audiences to Star Wars with Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which garnered excellent reviews and grossed over $2 billion worldwide, becoming the third-highest-grossing movie of all time. Sources say that while Edwards’ first cut was a solid showing, it didn’t measure up to the bar set in terms of four-quadrant appeal.

“Anything less than extraordinary won’t do,” says a studio insider.

Reshoots or additional shooting are practically a given in this decade of tentpole comic book, fantasy and sci-fi moviemaking. The films are massive productions, filled with so much green-screen and fit together in a way that, more often than not, demands for shooting to fill in holes or clarify plots. Even acting deals have the shoots in mind when contracts call for “run of show” appearances, which include not just shooting anytime during production but even during postproduction, say several agency sources.

The New York Post first reported about the Star Wars reshoots.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ar-wars-898562
Old 06-01-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

hmmm, that's kind of a bummer to me. A war movie in the star wars universe sounds pretty awesome. And if it's leading up to the beginning of a New Hope, that movie starts pretty bleak/depressing with guys getting mowed down by stormtroopers and vader choking a dude.

And a cameo by solo sounds HORRIBLE. Needless cameos were one downfall of the PT.
Old 06-01-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Isn't the whole point that they're in a war? wtf!
Old 06-01-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
So, unless Jyn Erso runs into Han Solo in a flashback scene when she's several years younger, I guess (from reading that article) Han must age more than a decade in 10 minutes?

If it's a lighter tone Disney is wanting, how about throwing an aging Jar Jar Binks into these Rogue One hijinks.
Old 06-01-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Yeah, while not matching the tone was one of the biggest criticisms of the prequels, I was hoping that the side stories told in these films would give us a little more freedom for different kinds of stories within the Star Wars universe. But I guess every film needs to measure up to the box office of TFA now, so every movie needs to appeal to everybody

And I hope the Solo cameo idea is just dumb fan speculation. 1. I'm not sure how Solo would fit into this story and time period. 2. Even if you came up with an organic way to do it, I'm fine with the dude playing a young Solo, but if you're just doing a cameo and you're going to set it moments before Episode IV, you should just de-age Harrison Ford like Marvel has been doing with Michael Douglas and RDJ.
Old 06-01-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

<--- Praying for more Jokes and gags in Star Wars films.
Old 06-01-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the only "disaster" is in the executive offices. Edwards delivered a gritty war film and the studio wants to kill that vibe. Fucking idiots.
Old 06-01-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't the execs have known about this "problem" at the script stage? I get that sometimes movies turn out differently than what you plan, but this seems like a pretty major adjustment for something that has presumably been micromanaged for a few years.

Last edited by bluetoast; 06-01-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-01-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Considering the films have had mass genocide, body horror, and any number of other very dark themes, no, you can't guess at the script stage.
Old 06-01-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But if the script itself doesn't have light humor or humorous characters (presumably), why would they expect the filmed result to have them? R2 and 3P0 banter, for example, was clearly present in the SW scripts, among the other dark themes.
Old 06-01-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, more Jar Jar and BB8!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is what I was kind of alluding to with the success of Episode VII - if it was a hit but not quite the ridiculous success that it was, these spinoffs would probably have a lot more leeway with the material. I imagine now everything has to match that movie in tone and characters.
Old 06-01-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Why make a film about a doomed set of characters if they didn't want a darker tone?
Old 06-01-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I can just see the next movie... "Many Bothans Lived long and happy lives to bring us this information"
Old 06-01-16, 01:58 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

They shared it freely on their Faceboth pages
Old 06-01-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I love this trend that "reshoots" are something new and/or worthy of panic.
Old 06-01-16, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In this case, it's isn't that reshoots are worthy news but that Disney apparently balked at Edwards making a serious, grim film that eschews levity for realism during war. That shit doesn't sell toys or bring in kids, and they may have also worried about repeat viewings if it's seen as too dark. A move to lighten the tone sounds kinda shitty.
Old 06-01-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I can just see the next movie... "Many Bothans Lived long and happy lives to bring us this information"
Gaahh!

The Bothans only stole the plans for the second Death Star, not the first!

As for the re-shoots - I'm torn. On the one hand, yes I would like all the Star Wars films to have the same tone. We watch those movies for a reason: yes, they're in a bloody, galactic civil war, but they're still humans who have feelings and emotions.

On the other hand, without the episode number on it, it would be nice to have (somewhat of) a change of feel.

If these re-shoots are to lighten the tone, we can only hope we get to see the director's cut on Bluray down the road, but I'm not sure Disney would be on board with that (maybe they could license it to Criterion and release it under a different title).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.