Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Old 04-09-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Okay, thank you. I maintain my criticism that Bodhi’s insanity felt like something that was a major part of an earlier draft but may have been removed by the reshoots, so we get this awkward transition from him not remembering his own name to suddenly being totally in control of his faculties.
That whole part was a bit silly but basically the creature ferrets through your brain to get the truth. Since Bodhi was telling the truth already, the creature didn't have to root around in his brain too much and therefore didn't cause much damage.
Old 04-09-18, 02:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
That whole part was a bit silly but basically the creature ferrets through your brain to get the truth. Since Bodhi was telling the truth already, the creature didn't have to root around in his brain too much and therefore didn't cause much damage.
That’s supposition that isn’t supported in the film.

Anyway if that were my only issue I would think much more highly of the movie than I do.
Old 04-09-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

That’s supposition that isn’t supported in the film.
Exactly, Saw says directly that it doesn't really matter either way, Bor Gullet will cause some pretty heavy damage while in there.

In fairness, the novelization makes what happened in the cage and after MUCH clearer:

Spoiler:
What happened when Saw put Bodhi in the cage with that creature?

In the movie, the Bor Gullet looks into Bodhi's brain to see if he's a spy; Saw Gererra announces that "the side effect is one tends to lose one's mind." In later scenes, Bodhi seems shaken by the experience.

But the book gives us Bodhi's internal monologue, shows the jumble of memories that Bor Gullet picks out, and makes it clear that the pilot actually has lost his mind. Here he is in the prison cell where the rest of the Rogue One team meet him:

Bodhi Rook understood the distinction between past and present, between recollection and reality; he just wasn’t sure which was which anymore.

Bor Gullet had taken everything Bodhi was— every intimate thought and dream, every cherished or forsaken memory— and torn through it with tendrils like scalpels. A scrap of first kiss drifted, ripped and sodden, into a pile on the right; a ribbon of kyber crystals floated to the pile on the left, pressed and preserved for further examination.

When Bor Gullet and Saw had completed their investigation, Bodhi had tried to stuff every memory back into his mind. He was certain they hadn’t all fit quite right.

“I’m the pilot!”

Who had he said that to? Someone had listened to him at last. Or was that a memory from long ago? Was he still in the cage with Bor Gullet?

Old 04-09-18, 02:51 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Here's my speculation about what was changed in the reshoot:

Clearly Forest Whiticker as Saw was at the heart of the problem. His limp death scene must have been added because they needed to remove him from the film. Bodhi's miraculous recovery from losing his mind is bizarre. I think he initially was left behind and died and Saw went with them on the mission. In the trailer it is Saw that gives the rousing speech instead of Jyn.

Bodhi stays on the ship during the mission and does a lot of talking on the radio, that's a sure sign of reshoot. Saw probably had that role originally since he is so physically slow. Bodhi does all the explaining of the mechanics of what they need to do while the mission is in progress and it's through that character and his dialogue that they altered whatever the original sequence of events was to what we finally got.

He's at the center of all the business about beaming the plans up to the ship. That had to be added in order to get the plans off the planet and kill all of the team. Initially I'm guessing that Jyn escaped with the plans, and her life, and for some reason this didn't work. Maybe being the lone survivor made her apppear unsympathetic. My other guess is that in the first cut they all lived, this was deemed too neat, and the reshoot was to film all their death scenes.
Old 04-09-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I guess I'm the only one who LOVED the CGI/Actor Tarkin. CGI Leia was ok. But Tarkin was AWESOME.
I think a lot of people are complaining because they know those characters are CGI, and it grates them.

Show this movie to an average person who knows very little about Star Wars, and they would never be able to tell either character was a CGI creation.
Old 04-09-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think a lot of people are complaining because they know those characters are CGI, and it grates them.

Show this movie to an average person who knows very little about Star Wars, and they would never be able to tell either character was a CGI creation.

I knew they were CGI. Didn't bother me.
Old 04-09-18, 03:14 PM
Banned by request

Tarkin looks close to real in a few shots. Leia looks plastic and fake as all hell.
Old 04-09-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Tarkin looks close to real in a few shots. Leia looks plastic and fake as all hell.
The first time I saw Tarkin I was like "damn he aged well" then I remembered he was dead. Leia does look awful, just awful. Would have been better just to have her never face the camera.
Old 04-09-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

My wife didn't realize Tarkin was CGI, for what it's worth. Leia was obvious. I agree that it would have been more effective if she had never shown her face. I was stunned when they did.

I thought I read somewhere--maybe here--that the original ending didn't have everyone die because Edwards didn't think Disney would let him go that bleak?

Last edited by JeremyM; 04-09-18 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
Old 04-09-18, 04:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
My wife didn't realize Tarkin was CGI, for what it's worth. Leia was obvious. I agree that it would have been more effective if she had never shown her face. I was stunned when they did.

I thought I read somewhere--maybe here--that the original ending didn't have everyone die because Edwards didn't think Disney would let him go that bleak?
CGI Tarkan worked for me
Old 04-09-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I think Tarkin shouldn't have been as big of a character - that first shot of his reflection in the window looks PERFECT and would have been a nice throwaway moment. Afterwards he looks a bit too cartoony.

Leia has the same issue. That said, I wonder if it would be so obvious to us if we didn't already know EXACTLY what Leia (and Tarkin) at that age should look like.
Old 04-09-18, 05:37 PM
Banned by request

I think part of the reason CGI Tarkin worked well and Leia didn't was that Tarkin was lit more darkly, and was generally glowering down at Krennic. He moved less. Leia was brightly lit in an all-white room and had this massive shit eating grin on her face.
Old 04-09-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a good point, I think smiles and mouth movements are awkward in general still for CG characters, same as in a lot of video games that otherwise look amazing.
Old 04-10-18, 09:42 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

If you dig through the reviews thread, the first thing I posted after seeing Rogue One is “how did they do Tarkin?” I knew there was movie magic involved but I couldn’t tell if it was makeup, a lookalike, cgi, or all three. I’d say that’s a success.

Last edited by Mabuse; 04-10-18 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-10-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think part of the reason CGI Tarkin worked well and Leia didn't was that Tarkin was lit more darkly, and was generally glowering down at Krennic. He moved less. Leia was brightly lit in an all-white room.
I think that is part of it, but I think Draven really hit the nail on the head. You knew it was CGI, and you knew what Carrie Fisher looked like in the original movie, so you were not able to see past that (which is totally understandable).

I fully believe that someone who had never seen a Star Wars movie before, and knew nothing about Carrie Fisher, would not have nearly as much of a problem with the "CGI" characters (if any at all).

(I put "CGI" in quotes because they weren't technically CGI characters, they were live actors with CGI "textures" superimposed over their faces.)
Old 04-10-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought Tarkin worked really well. The first time I saw Leia on the big screen I didn't like it, way too unrealistic. However, re-watching at home I have gotten used to it and don't mind it now. Ends the movie just right.
Old 04-10-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

There are any number of ways they could have done Leia in RO.

Only show her from behind, or with her hood on, then a close-up ofher hand taking the plans.

Use a body double (maybe even Billie) and then shoot around her face, show her out of focus, etc.

But no matter how they handled that scene, it's going to draw attention to the fact that it wasn't Carrie Fisher.
Old 04-10-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

There are any number of ways they could have done Leia... from behind
Old 04-10-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I thought Tarkin worked really well. The first time I saw Leia on the big screen I didn't like it, way too unrealistic. However, re-watching at home I have gotten used to it and don't mind it now. Ends the movie just right.
I don’t really get the Tarkin complaints. For as much screen time as he had I thought he was handled really well and looked real in most shots. Leia didn’t look as good though. To me she looked more like a caricature and it almost felt like something that was thrown in at the last minute.
Old 04-10-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t really get the Tarkin complaints. For as much screen time as he had I thought he was handled really well and looked real in most shots. Leia didn’t look as good though. To me she looked more like a caricature and it almost felt like something that was thrown in at the last minute.
Since she's in it so briefly, I can tolerate how Leia was rendered in that moment. Had Tarkin been in it as long as she was, his visualization probably wouldn't have bothered me either.

Tarkin's there for significant chunks of the movie, though, and he looks increasingly artificial the more time you spend looking at him (shadowing, skin texture, facial expressions) and experiencing how he interacts with real subjects. It's a problem because there's a real-world reference for the performance that he's inherently compared to, and they really don't match up. Had this just been a random person generated for a scene ... ? Sure, he might've worked alright, and an entire movie filled with CG characters like him would likely be effective, because they all have that shared level of realism.

Among real actors, in a real environment, and designed to remain cohesive with the version of Tarkin in A New Hope, however, CG Tarkin rings false.
Old 04-10-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

He looks "increasingly artificial" because you guys aren't letting him "live". Seriously. when you watch Robert DeNiro, do you "increasingly" focus on his prominent mole?
Old 04-10-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I actually got used to Tarkin, but the CGI Leia still bothers me as it something around her mouth area that doesn't jive with her face.
Old 04-10-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
He looks "increasingly artificial" because you guys aren't letting him "live". Seriously. when you watch Robert DeNiro, do you "increasingly" focus on his prominent mole?
... in general, sorta, yeah. You get used to an actor's physical attributes and imperfections while watching them, because they're inherently part of them. Also, those situations are different: this is the digital recreation of a character whose actor has long since died, which has far more to do with computer wizardry than observing the performance of a completely real actor.

The longer digital Tarkin "lives" in the otherwise practical space that he inhabits, the less realistic he appears, thus the less "alive" he appears. And he's there for a fairly lengthy amount of time.
Old 04-10-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Tarkin looked great, and while we're at it, so did Snoke. People who are picking nits with these two effects are really going out of their way to find something to bitch about.

Leia was pretty bad, but if you're going to use that character in this movie, they needed to go all the way. Showing her from behind, or just her hand, or being a voice off screen would have been half-assed. She didn't look great, but I'm glad they went with it.
Old 04-10-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Tarkin looked great. People who are picking nits with these effects are really going out of their way to find something to bitch about.
LOL! Made me remember that after we saw "Rogue One" together, my wife had no idea Tarkin was a CGI actor. Makes me wonder how many casual viewers, no familiar with the original trilogy, would also not have noticed?
I personally thought that Tarkin was very well executed. Young Leia, not so much. Perhaps, if they'd simply not zoom in on her face so closely.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.