Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Old 04-05-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
I was just about to post that. Crazy. This one's in between the prequels and the OT and ST for me. Saw it once, haven't had the need to since.
I'd probably feel more compelled to watch it again at some point if it didn't have so much CG Tarkin. It's just too distracting.
Old 04-05-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

All things considered for apparently having so many issues I thought it was a good film overall.
Old 04-05-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dispite how bad it may be, I’d still be curious to see Edwards’ director’s cut. If for nothing else, to view it as a curiousity.

And I’d imagine releasing Rogue One with the second “Original Director’s Cut” would probably sell pretty damn well in DVD/Blu-ray/4K.
Old 04-05-18, 06:39 PM
Banned by request

I’m not surprised at Gilroy’s comments given Edwards’ track record.
Old 04-05-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, honestly most of Edwardsí films havenít overly impressed me. He seems like a director that shows promise but can never follow through with a truly great film. Heís a director who can deliver cool visuals but isnít the strongest story teller.
Old 04-05-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Yeah, honestly most of Edwards’ films haven’t overly impressed me. He seems like a director that shows promise but can never follow through with a truly great film.
Sometimes when you gamble on an unproven director you get Peter Jackson and the LotR and other times you get Garreth Edwards and Rogue One.
Old 04-05-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Godzilla wasnít very great either. I like the prologue but after that itís fairly meh.
Old 04-05-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Love his Godzilla and love Rogue One- despite how it was Franenstein'd together.

I used to be a mild Godzilla fan as a kid, but that's just one of those things I now have to leave behind in childhood because I just don't have the patience to sit through those classics anymore. Edwards version uses the material in a way that I'm very much in tune with.

It doesn't just come down to modern CG either. Pacifc Rim, as beautiful as the visuals are, left me completely cold. I couldn't warm up to it at all.
Godzilla gets rapped for being weak on it's characters, but I felt more affinity for them than I did for any character in PR.

Same for Rogue One. I had just enough information from the film to understand the characters, where they were coming from, what they were about- and not so much that it smothered them or my imagination when I ruminate on it.

Rogue One is a class act for me all the way.
Old 04-05-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Godzilla was excellent, I definitely want to see Evans' director cut of Rogue One.
Old 04-05-18, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly have a hard time even remembering a lot of standout moments in Godzilla besides the prologue with Cranston which is great. Itís completely forgettable and there arenít even that many cool parts with the big guy himself.
Old 04-05-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Godzilla and Pacific Rim are friggin’ garbage.
Old 04-06-18, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If Evans' cut was more depressing and bleak, i actually think that would make Rogue One a BETTER movie.
Old 04-06-18, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After reading all of the turmoil, it's amazing this movie is as good as it is. IMO, I think this is the best made SW film since the OT movies, as it has a consistent tone throughout (doesn't have bad jokes like the ST and PT), and the locations are great compared to the PT CGI worlds.

Where the movie falls short for me is the characters are bland, and there are very few memorable (magic) moments like previous SW films. There is no character you truly love in the movie, and I hated the Forrest Whitaker character (even though he is a great actor).
Old 04-06-18, 09:13 AM
Banned by request

No bad jokes? How about Darth Vader making a fucking pun!
Old 04-06-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I forgot about that one!
Old 04-06-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Godzilla was technically and visually marvelous, and totally fucking stupid otherwise.

Gilroy took Gareth's chicken shit and turned it into chicken salad. Better than any of the ST (and all of the PT of course, but so is chicken shit).

That "choke on your own ambition" line though... eesh.
Old 04-06-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I donít know I think overall Iíve enjoyed The Force Awakens the best of any of the new Star Wars films. This one is pretty close behind. I donít dislike The Last Jedi but it probably is my least favorite of the new ones so far.
Old 04-06-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Darth Vader was occasionally snarky during the OT, so it's not totally out of character.
Old 04-06-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
That "choke on your own ambition" line though... eesh.
It needed better execution.
Old 04-06-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The line is "choke on your aspirations." which is what makes it a pun.
Old 04-06-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Darth Vader was occasionally snarky during the OT, so it's not totally out of character.
Thank you! Star Wars Franchise has ALWAYS had that shit going on.
Old 04-06-18, 12:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Love his Godzilla and love Rogue One- despite how it was Franenstein'd together.

I used to be a mild Godzilla fan as a kid, but that's just one of those things I now have to leave behind in childhood because I just don't have the patience to sit through those classics anymore. Edwards version uses the material in a way that I'm very much in tune with.

It doesn't just come down to modern CG either. Pacifc Rim, as beautiful as the visuals are, left me completely cold. I couldn't warm up to it at all.
Godzilla gets rapped for being weak on it's characters, but I felt more affinity for them than I did for any character in PR.

Same for Rogue One. I had just enough information from the film to understand the characters, where they were coming from, what they were about- and not so much that it smothered them or my imagination when I ruminate on it.

Rogue One is a class act for me all the way.
Well-said, and I totally agree. Rogue One is great. Godzilla was fine... still need to re-watch it.

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
If Evans' cut was more depressing and bleak, i actually think that would make Rogue One a BETTER movie.
Yeah, I'd love to see a darker cut. Bring it on!

That's what makes him king shit of fuck mountain! More puns! MORE!!

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Thank you! Star Wars Franchise has ALWAYS had that shit going on.
Old 04-06-18, 12:30 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Occasionally snarky, yes. Making puns? I donít recall that.
Old 04-06-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Godzilla was technically and visually marvelous, and totally fucking stupid otherwise.
What were you expecting from a Godzilla movie??
Old 04-06-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
What were you expecting from a Godzilla movie??
I was hoping they'd somehow elevate their game.

ALSO: remember when they used to say that about comic book movies?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.