Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Old 12-11-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Just as a reminder, Jimmy Kimmel has cast and Edwards tonight. Friday, 12/9.
I saw it and the only thing that bothered me is when they all said they watched the movie at Skywalker Ranch for the first time. Gareth Edwards asked for their reaction after seeing it and they said it was dead silence. You can take it as either they were just in awe they were watching themselves in a SW movie or deep down they weren't impressed.
Old 12-11-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

They had the premiere last night here in Hollywood. Scott Mendelson liked it more than Force Awakens, FWIW.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-11-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-11-16, 10:26 AM

Via Kevin Smith:

Holy Sith! #rogueone is unbelievably wonderful! No lie: it is #EmpireStrikesBack great! An excellent chapter in the @starwars universe! LOTS of breathtaking moments and tie-ins to the Saga. But you are not prepared for how fucking epic #darthvader is in this movie. You will flat-out squeal through the last act of Rogue One and the final 10 minutes will show you something you've never seen before that you never knew how much you wanted to see in the first place. Incredible flick! I can't wait to see it again! More of this in the world, less of everything else! #KevinSmith #starwars #harleyquinnsmith
Old 12-11-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kevin Smith also loved the prequels, so f-him.
Old 12-11-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

EW's report on the premiere is encouraging, as long as you don't mind fanservice.

Status Report: The Death Star movie is fully operational.

Full reviews of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story are embargoed until Tuesday, but a wave of reactions hit Twitter immediately after Saturday night’s premiere – most of it exuberant.

At times, applause in the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood was so loud that it drowned out the rest of the dialogue being cheered. During the afterparty, some complained about an abundance of fan service, with numerous in-jokes and references for die-hard fans, but most of the crowd was jubilant, with some saying it may rank among the best of the series. (This was often expressed with surprise, given the fan community’s fretting over reshoots this summer.)

Without giving away any spoilers, here are some general descriptions about what to expect when Rogue One opens on Dec. 16:

• The film, starring Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso, an outlaw recruited by the Rebellion to steal the plans for the original Death Star, is set just prior to the events of 1977’s original Star Wars, and references to the first trilogy abound, foreshadowing events-yet-to-come.

• The tone is, as promised by Lucasfilm, a war story – a relentless action tale. Fears that much-discussed reshoots were softening the story or watering down the ending appear to be unfounded, since the movie presents a much grittier soldier’s story than previous films. Think of it as Band of Brothers with a Star Wars setting, more than earning its PG-13 rating.

Chirrut Imwe, the blind warrior monk played by Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen, and K-2SO, the blunt-talking security droid played by Firefly star Alan Tudyk, steal the movie. Ironically, they both provide some of the movie’s funniest and most heart-tugging scenes.

Much like The Force Awakens, there are a significant number of shots from the Rogue One trailers that aren’t in the finished film. Director Gareth Edwards says he shot a lot of footage in a cinema verite style, trying to capture the chaos of battle, so either trailer-makers drew heavily from material that was later unused, or portions of those scenes were reshot.

• Despite its heavy tone, there’s a lot of humor in Rogue One. There’s also a lot of heart, particularly in the father-daughter story of Jyn and Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelsen) a scientist who is stolen away to work on the Empire’s Death Star project. The film also features a gripping, almost prescient speech by Jyn that will leave many fans with a lump in their throats.

Finally, Darth Vader… The Dark Lord of the Sith delivers one moment of pure horror. You could argue there’s even more than one scene that fits this description. Rogue One shows a ruthless, predatory side of Vader when he is at the height of his powers.

• Actually … one more note: Fans of the Disney XD animated series Star Wars: Rebels should keep their eyes wide open for a number of special surprises. (That’s all I’m going to say about that.)
Old 12-11-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
As much as I like Kevin Smith, I wish he would stop commenting before these big budget movies come out and stop giving us his typical bias review. He's going to say 'it's the greatest movie ever....' because nobody is going to give a bad review or they won't get invitations back to these premieres.

They do this because they think they are important to geek culture, but they actually turn off the fans because they overexpose themselves and get involved in matters like this. Just shut up and enjoy the movie next week like 99% of us who are going to see it then.

I still think fans need to temper as I think it will be good but not great. It still may suffer the same problem as the Prequels as you have these new characters that have to resonate with the audience without the fallback on Luke, Leia and Han. JJ was able to accomplish that with Rey, as she connected to the fans so that helps the ST go forward, unlike Anakin & Padme who nobody gave a shit about. Hopefully the Jyn character resonates with us or fans won't love this movie, as remember it's all about the characters.

Last edited by mcnabb; 12-11-16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-11-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Finally, Darth Vader… The Dark Lord of the Sith delivers one moment of pure horror. You could argue there’s even more than one scene that fits this description. Rogue One shows a ruthless, predatory side of Vader when he is at the height of his powers.
Interesting... sounds like this the rumored
Spoiler:
"slasher movie" scene from Vader that was brought up in that notorious reddit thread about the reshoots:

Spoiler:
In a night scene Vader absolutely lays waste to a Rebel ground Squad. Unfortunately this is one of the scenes we have to water down. We made it like something from the old slasher/horror films. Rebel soldiers who joked about a boogie man with magical powers and then minutes later are absolutely wasted.
Old 12-11-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Did he? I remember him being pretty critical of TPM, especially on Clerks: The Animated Series.
Old 12-11-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Did he? I remember him being pretty critical of TPM, especially on Clerks: The Animated Series.
At first, he praised TPM. Then when the backlash began, he started to jump on the bandwagon and take shots at it through his own work. Here is some quotes from his original review on View Askew in May 1999:

"Of the film, I can say many things. But the long and short of it is that I liked it-quite a bit. I'd rank it right after Empire in the list of favorite SW films. It's starts great, ends great, and has great stuff sprinkled in."

Last edited by mcnabb; 12-11-16 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I still think fans need to temper as I think it will be good but not great. It still may suffer the same problem as the Prequels as you have these new characters that have to resonate with the audience without the fallback on Luke, Leia and Han. JJ was able to accomplish that with Rey, as she connected to the fans so that helps the ST go forward, unlike Anakin & Padme who nobody gave a shit about. Hopefully the Jyn character resonates with us or fans won't love this movie, as remember it's all about the characters.
I completely understand and encourage the need for fans to temper their expectations going in.

However, even just going by the trailers people should be able to comprehend how profound the differences should be between a film like this and the prequels.

Take a somewhat similar situation in both films designed to elicit audience sympathy in the main character- a forced separation from a parent
• In TMP it's the supposed 'good guys' that are wresting the kid away
• In Rogue One, it appears that the father is forcibly taken and involuntarily serves the villains.

Like so much of the prequels, the sympathetic hook here is forced, not natural. The whole character arc is dependent upon supposed heroes making a-hole decisions as a matter of course, and then being surprised at the negative outcomes.

In Rouge One, it looks like we are back to the basics - The villains do a grievous wrong to the main character, who then rises up to overcome them.
Simple, but pure- like the original Star Wars (which I refuse to call ANH).

Lucas wanted to have his cake and eat it too with the prequels.
He wanted to explore a more mature and complex hero journey (descent), where good intentions yield catastrophic results, while at the same time dumbing enough of it down to include and abundance of fart jokes, toddler- friendly supporting characters, and under 10 lead for the under 10 audience to identify/relate with.
But you can't honestly relate to contrived circumstances.
That was the big problem with the Prequels and it was, even though many people are happy with it for all it's fan service call backs, an elemental factor in TFA.

That's why it will not surprise me one bit, if many fans come away thinking this is the best film with a SW logo on it since Empire
Old 12-11-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have my tickets ready for the Saturday show.
Old 12-11-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post

Lucas wanted to have his cake and eat it too with the prequels.
He wanted to explore a more mature and complex hero journey (descent), where good intentions yield catastrophic results, while at the same time dumbing enough of it down to include and abundance of fart jokes, toddler- friendly supporting characters, and under 10 lead for the under 10 audience to identify/relate with.
This is a good point, and why I'm hopeful this will be a good SW movie. Like you said, Lucas wanted to tell this Shakespearean Tragedy but still cater to 8 year old kids, and the two don't mix. Lucas doesn't mind having cheese in a SW movie, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when you are telling a story of someone turning to the darkside.

Disney understood everything that went wrong with the Prequels, and they are not going to repeat those mistakes. Now what I meant tempering expectations about being a great movie, is I don't think it will have the 'magic' of the Originals because it doesn't have Luke, Leia and Han. So we all may really like Rogue One, but Jyn and the new characters may not conjure up the same emotions as Luke, Leia and Han did.
Old 12-11-16, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a big Star Wars guy. I think I watched the OT 1-2 times and the prequels once (maybe once in theaters and once at home). First time I ever saw the OT was during the re-releases in the 90's.

To me, the problem with the prequels can be summed up with Anakin and Padme frolicking through a field. And a few similar scenes. There were moments that seem like they were directed by Tommy Wiseau. Outside of those failed scenes, I thought it was all in good fun.
Old 12-11-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a good point, and why I'm hopeful this will be a good SW movie. Like you said, Lucas wanted to tell this Shakespearean Tragedy but still cater to 8 year old kids, and the two don't mix. Lucas doesn't mind having cheese in a SW movie, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when you are telling a story of someone turning to the darkside.

Disney understood everything that went wrong with the Prequels, and they are not going to repeat those mistakes. Now what I meant tempering expectations about being a great movie, is I don't think it will have the 'magic' of the Originals because it doesn't have Luke, Leia and Han. So we all may really like Rogue One, but Jyn and the new characters may not conjure up the same emotions as Luke, Leia and Han did.
I respect your opinion. But I'm of the mind that because it doesn't have those characters is exactly why it has the chance of delivering the magic again, in an honest and spontaneously visceral way.
It's the rush that comes with the sense of discovery.

The numbered episode films trade too much in assumed empathy, and retracing the same emotional and story beats over and over. It's become comforting in its (over)familiarity to a lot of fans, but it's also stuffy and stifling. Like being in a room with closed windows and breathing in the same stale air day after day.
Old 12-11-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally, Darth Vader… The Dark Lord of the Sith delivers one moment of pure horror.
You mean Edwards isn't going to quickly cut away from Vader as he's about to fight?
Old 12-11-16, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
You mean Edwards isn't going to quickly cut away from Vader as he's about to fight?
Buuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrn....
Old 12-11-16, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Disney understood everything that went wrong with the Prequels, and they are not going to repeat those mistakes.
they are already 0-1
Old 12-11-16, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just rewatched Revenge of the Sith to lead up to this film. I can't believe I used to think it was good. Maybe in comparison to how bad the other two are it's slightly better but damn is it still bad. There are some cool moments in it and some cool characters like McGregor's Obi-Wan, Palpatine (even though it's kind of a corny and over the top portrayal) and Christopher Lee as Count Dooku is cool although the character was really poorly utilized.

The biggest problem I find is how quickly Anakin's turn happens. It's like Lucas realized he had to turn him to Darth Vader and just wrote it to happen in a flash. There needed to be more hints at it at least in Attack of the Clones in my opinion (other than the off screen killing of the Tusken Raiders). It really illustrates the problem with the prequels in general. There probably could have been a decent story to tell but the three films we got managed to not add anything of much substance.
Old 12-11-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For being the worst movies ever made, we just can't stop talking about the prequels, can we?
Old 12-12-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's due to how disappointing they were and at least for me how I'd liked to have seen them done better. I hadn't watched any of them for quite a while but figured since Revenge of the Sith is closest to before the events of the new film that I'd just revisit it.
Old 12-12-16, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
For being the worst movies ever made, we just can't stop talking about the prequels, can we?
The only reason the Prequels are talked about among my friends now (they were forgotten for 10 years) is because of the new SW movies, and you think of 'what if' Lucas had sold to Disney in the 90's?

Now maybe the Prequels sucking gave everyone the blueprint at what not to do with a SW movie, so in a sense they were worth it for that reason. But if Rogue One is a good SW movie, and the Darth Vader scenes are good too, then it just makes you wonder how much better The Prequels could have been if Lucas maybe just wrote the story/produced them and hired a screenwriter and director to execute them.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

The biggest problem I find is how quickly Anakin's turn happens. It's like Lucas realized he had to turn him to Darth Vader and just wrote it to happen in a flash. There needed to be more hints at it at least in Attack of the Clones in my opinion (other than the off screen killing of the Tusken Raiders). It really illustrates the problem with the prequels in general. There probably could have been a decent story to tell but the three films we got managed to not add anything of much substance.
Not sure if you knew that Lucas changed the turn scene after he filmed it the first time and didn't like it (This is the reason the movie just falls apart and makes no sense to most fans). He talks about in the ROTS DVD commentary. Originally, he had Anakin turn right when Palpatine tells him he is the Sith, and the motivation is more about being pissed off about the Jedi order as it had nothing to do with Padme's supposed death. Then Mace and Co would come in to confront Palpatine with Anakin by his side, and then they would duel and all hell would break out. So Lucas filmed the whole 2nd half of the movie in that context, as Anakin goes right to the Jedi Temple and kills everyone, and then on Mustafar he tells Padme they can rule the galaxy, and Obiwan that its his Empire. The original turn was all about Power, and ruling the Galaxy.

Lucas didn't like that so he reshot the whole turn scene in a different context of Anakin now doing it to save Padme from dying in Childbirth. So he then tells Mace after Palpatine tells him he is the sith, and THEN Mace confronts Palpatine while Anakin stays back. Anakin then turns after he slices Mace's hand, because Palpatine promises him he will save Padme.

The problem is Lucas never reshot the 2nd half of the movie in that context and that is why it makes no sense when Anakin goes to the Temple and kills all of the Jedi. Originally, he was doing it because he was on a power trip and fed up with the Jedi, but now he goes there and kill them all because he wants to save Padme? And the ending on Mustafar makes no sense, because all he is talking about is ruling the galaxy and saving Padme is an afterthought.

ROTS is an utter mess, and makes no sense and that is because Lucas got lazy mish-mashed two different turn scenes in the movie, and didn't take time to re-edit the rest of the movie.

Last edited by mcnabb; 12-12-16 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It isn't on what not to do with a SW movies, it's what to not do with a movie. The prequels weren't just bad SWs movies, they were actually terrible movies through and through. I'd still argue that Dennis The Phantom Menace is actually the most successful of the 3 as an actual movie.
Old 12-12-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was watching RoTS on TV last night and one scenes highlights what is wrong with the movies. When Dooku makes his first appearance he walks in on an overhang of sorts and instead of calmly walking down the stairs he jumps off and flips down to the floor. No point in doing it that way, and the effects looked horrible. First off, Dooku is an old man, older then Kenobi in ANH. Second, there was absolutely no need for the effect there and it added nothing to the movie.
Old 12-12-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure if you knew that Lucas changed the turn scene after he filmed it the first time and didn't like it (This is the reason the movie just falls apart and makes no sense to most fans). He talks about in the ROTS DVD commentary. Originally, he had Anakin turn right when Palpatine tells him he is the Sith, and the motivation is more about being pissed off about the Jedi order as it had nothing to do with Padme's supposed death. Then Mace and Co would come in to confront Palpatine with Anakin by his side, and then they would duel and all hell would break out. So Lucas filmed the whole 2nd half of the movie in that context, as Anakin goes right to the Jedi Temple and kills everyone, and then on Mustafar he tells Padme they can rule the galaxy, and Obiwan that its his Empire. The original turn was all about Power, and ruling the Galaxy.

Lucas didn't like that so he reshot the whole turn scene in a different context of Anakin now doing it to save Padme from dying in Childbirth. So he then tells Mace after Palpatine tells him he is the sith, and THEN Mace confronts Palpatine while Anakin stays back. Anakin then turns after he slices Mace's hand, because Palpatine promises him he will save Padme.

The problem is Lucas never reshot the 2nd half of the movie in that context and that is why it makes no sense when Anakin goes to the Temple and kills all of the Jedi. Originally, he was doing it because he was on a power trip and fed up with the Jedi, but now he goes there and kill them all because he wants to save Padme? And the ending on Mustafar makes no sense, because all he is talking about is ruling the galaxy and saving Padme is an afterthought.

ROTS is an utter mess, and makes no sense and that is because Lucas got lazy mish-mashed two different turn scenes in the movie, and didn't take time to re-edit the rest of the movie.
Yeah, Anakin's turn to the dark side was a mess. The whole point of the prequels was Anakin's transformation into Darth Vader and Lucas blew it.

1. Anakin has visions of Padme dying.
2. Anakin turns to the dark side to save her.
3. His turn to the dark side is what sets off the chain events leading him to kill her.

So if he doesn't have those visions, she doesn't die.

So what does it mean? Did Palpatine set him up with false visions? Did the Force itself set him up to be a Sith and bring balance to the Force? We never learned what that meant either. And nothing is ever explained.

I mean, the entirety of the prequels rests on what happened to Anakin and it's just a bunch of vague nonsense. An unexplained prophecy and some visions of a future that create a paradox.
Old 12-12-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LUKE: I saw...I saw a city in the clouds.

YODA: Mmm. Friends you have there.

LUKE: They were in pain.

YODA: It is the future you see.

LUKE: Future? Will they die?

YODA: Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.

Nobody planted visions in Luke. Seeing a possible future is just that, seeing a possible always-in-motion future. I wouldn't read any more than that into Anakin's dream.

Last edited by GuessWho; 12-12-16 at 10:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.