Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Wow guys. Sorry to bring about such a shitstorm by asking UncleJosh a question. I was just curious which trailer he saw. I thought the first trailer played up the espionage drama more than the newer one.

Peace offering ... (I want this poster!)

Old 11-18-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Rob V
So if I were to react to the trailer and think it's a rom-com, would you read my posts and need to "be in my head" to know that that's a fucking stupid sentiment? Come on.
Old 11-21-16, 04:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Anyone know when this ABC special on the movie is supposed to air?
Old 11-21-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are pre-orders for screenings available in the US yet? Nothing yet in Canada, which is a bit odd considering how close we are to the release.
Old 11-22-16, 12:56 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone know when this ABC special on the movie is supposed to air?
Thanksgiving day
Old 11-22-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Avoiding ABC Thanksgiving night.
Old 11-22-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I'm guessing we'll have a sense of jubilation as the Tantive IV takes off, or goes on it's way (after being boarded in mid flight to pass the data). Probably after some battle that the rebels are able to triumph (or at least some of the rebels that we care about).

But the very last shot is going to be an ominous shadow or hint of the Star Destroyer trailing them at a distance.
Can't wait for the fans to lose their shit when the ending of the film is:

[CUT TO TATOOINE. TWIN SUNS ARE SETTING ON THE HORIZON. A SHAGGY-HAIRED YOUNG MAN WITH BINOCULARS LOOKS LONGINGLY TOWARD THE FLASHES AND STREAKS IN THE SKY. HE QUICKLY DROPS HIS BINOCULARS, JUMPS INTO HIS LANDSPEEDER, AND EXCITEDLY RACES OFF TO TELL HIS FRIENDS.]

[PAN TO THE BLACK SKY, LITTERED WITH STARS AND DEBRIS. THE SPACE BATTLE ENSUES. THE TANTIVE 4 EXPLODES, DESTROYED BY A STAR DESTROYER. A RIPPLE IS SEEN THROUGH SPACE.]

This sparks an alternate universe -- hence the appearance of the new Han Solo arriving in the Millennium Falcon -- and all future movies are loose remakes of the old ones.

Oh yeah, nevermind, JJ did Episode VII.
Old 11-22-16, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Officially PG-13
Old 11-24-16, 11:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Just got an email announcing tickets will go on sale Monday Nov 28th at 12:01 EST for IMAX.
Old 11-25-16, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe someone posted this poster before, but this was in the Cinemark e-mail for getting tickets. Would love to get my hands on this one. Too bad it is supposed to be an exclusive poster handed out? At least if I'm reading the e-mail right?

Old 11-25-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

^ I think that's the regular release poster. The freebie poster looks like this:

Old 11-25-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_b
^ I think that's the regular release poster. The freebie poster looks like this:

Thank goodness, because I definitely want the one I posted as part of my collection. Assuming I can get it in 11x17 that is. That other one is decent though.
Old 11-26-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

The 9 year old me cried when TFA came out because that's the continuation of Star Wars I wanted as a child. The 48 year old me will cry when I see this because this is the adult version of Star Wars I want now. This looks goddamn amazing.
Old 11-26-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Schloob1

I haven't been in awe of a movie poster in a long time. It's gorgeous!
Old 11-26-16, 10:05 AM

looks so fucking good!
Old 11-26-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo

The 9 year old me cried when TFA came out because that's the continuation of Star Wars I wanted as a child. The 48 year old me will cry when I see this because this is the adult version of Star Wars I want now. This looks goddamn amazing.
Damn I wish I hadn't watched that ...
Old 11-26-16, 02:41 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I haven't been in awe of a movie poster in a long time. It's gorgeous!
Teal and orange. Not sure I like it.
Old 11-26-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo

Holy crap man, those are the words we've been searching for for 30 years.

This is unreal, this time we're living in. These new Star Wars movies that are the realization of decades of stories we told with our friends in RPGs, video games and even our action figures. I've tried to defend the prequels for so long but these new movies are what should have been all along.
Old 11-26-16, 08:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

wtf was Lucas thinking by giving us the prequel trilogy shit he gave us. for fuck sake... he was so infatuated with the technology of the time, which still looked fake as hell then, let alone now. pod races... Jar Jar... trade embargoes... a horrendous romance story without any passion or chemistry... death from a broken heart... ugh... God dammit George.
Old 11-26-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
wtf was Lucas thinking by giving us the prequel trilogy shit he gave us. for fuck sake... he was so infatuated with the technology of the time, which still looked fake as hell then, let alone now. pod races... Jar Jar... trade embargoes... a horrendous romance story without any passion or chemistry... death from a broken heart... ugh... God dammit George.

And his lackies and fanboys and apologists ate that shit up, which is a damn shame. Fuck the prequels in the ass.
Old 11-27-16, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Yeah, it's like, the prequels were just creative misfires on every conceivable level. Every single storytelling decision was the wrong one.

Starting Anakin out as an eight year-old, bad direction, bad acting, bad CGI, ridiculous fights, cartoony action sequences, Jar-Jar, Anakin's fall to the dark side made no sense, the central romance wasn't realistic or convincing, and the overall plot was flat and muddled.

I think that one of the problems is that Lucas, being his mercurial self, got this bug up his ass that Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader was to be the central figure and ultimate hero of the saga. Which led him to make an entire film with a child Anakin in an attempt to make him sympathetic, and ultimately provided a weak and nonsensical motivation for his downfall. But then, all he seems to do his hack apart nameless children with his lightsaber, so I'm not sure what the fuck was going through George's head. He kept going on about the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker, and a good man being corrupted, but Anakin only comes off as a petulant asshole in AOTC and ROTS.
Old 11-27-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, it's like, the prequels were just creative misfires on every conceivable level. Every single storytelling decision was the wrong one.

Starting Anakin out as an eight year-old, bad direction, bad acting, bad CGI, ridiculous fights, cartoony action sequences, Jar-Jar, Anakin's fall to the dark side made no sense, the central romance wasn't realistic or convincing, and the overall plot was flat and muddled.

I think that one of the problems is that Lucas, being his mercurial self, got this bug up his ass that Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader was to be the central figure and ultimate hero of the saga. Which led him to make an entire film with a child Anakin in an attempt to make him sympathetic, and ultimately provided a weak and nonsensical motivation for his downfall. But then, all he seems to do his hack apart nameless children with his lightsaber, so I'm not sure what the fuck was going through George's head. He kept going on about the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker, and a good man being corrupted, but Anakin only comes off as a petulant asshole in AOTC and ROTS.
I'm not as big a prequel-hater as some--I only hate about 60% of what's in the films.

I didn't have a big problem with Lucas' overall story. It was really incredibly risky and brave to try to tell the story of a villain as the main narrative--I don't know if something like that had ever really been attempted before.

I also didn't have a problem with Annakin's motivation for turning to the dark side, in that he was arrogant about his abilities (and maybe justifiably so), felt that he was being treated unfairly by the council, and he wanted the power to save Padme.

The problem, I think, is that Lucas and Christensen just weren't up to the task. Lucas' dialogue and direction were atrocious, and as you said, Annakin came across as more of an annoying, whiny teenager than a genuinely sympathetic character. The prequels hinged on Annakin being sympathetic, and he wasn't. With better dialogue, directing and performance (and maybe casting) I still think this story could have worked very well.

The other big flaw, IMO, is that Lucas greatly overestimated the development of CGI at the time. In the prequels, CGI worked quite well for spaceships, robots and backgrounds---the pod race and many of the space battles look fantastic. But they generally didn't work that well when they substituted CGI versions of actors instead of using practical effects and stuntwork. The lightsaber battle in TPM is the best of the series, because they used real stuntmen--it all went downhill after that. "Hey, with CGI, we can have Yoda in a lightsaber battle, and it will be awesome!" No, it won't.

And the other thing that killed the prequels that I just can't understand, is the kiddie/cartoon humor of Jar-Jar, poo-doo, and various fart jokes. That's just such a bizarre departure from the tone of the original series. Why Lucas thought that would work, I have no idea.
Old 11-27-16, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a reminder:

Rogue One will be playing in epic 2D IMAX 70mm film in select (not many) theaters. IMAX.com or many other websites have more details.
Old 11-27-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
"For the twenty years I've been alive you've been a sociopathic mass murdering lackey of an evil despot. You've killed my wise mentor and childhood friend, Tortured my sister and the man who saved my life, and cut off my hand.
But besides all that there is still good in you I can feel it! I know it's not some dark Sith mind game you're playing. Why would I even think that because I know you're really goooood- because you're my daddy! Papa I've may never have known you, but I've missed you so much!"

The sentimental horseshit started long before the prequels.
Old 11-27-16, 08:34 PM

Ok, enough of the shit prequels talk. Back to the awesomeness that will be Rogue One...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.