Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Old 11-14-16, 11:54 AM
  #901  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,448
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Just the overacting, the overdramatic music and shots chosen for the trailer. This is supposed to be a fun pulp adventure series not a dramatic political thriller.
I actually want to see the WAR part of Star Wars.
devilshalo is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 12:07 PM
  #902  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,248
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Just the overacting, the overdramatic music and shots chosen for the trailer. This is supposed to be a fun pulp adventure series not a dramatic political thriller.
Thank you for clarifying. After the hype over the reshoots, it will be interesting to see what the tone of this actually is. I thought the subsequent trailers tried to play more on the characters than the story.

I don't mind the dramatic political thriller aspect as long as it works; after all this is a film about espionage and rebellion. Politics have ultimately been the driver behind the movies. Unfortunately Lucas got too bogged down in it with the prequels. It worked for Captain America and I think they could make it work here.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 12:54 PM
  #903  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,103
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Thank you for clarifying. After the hype over the reshoots, it will be interesting to see what the tone of this actually is. I thought the subsequent trailers tried to play more on the characters than the story.

I don't mind the dramatic political thriller aspect as long as it works; after all this is a film about espionage and rebellion. Politics have ultimately been the driver behind the movies. Unfortunately Lucas got too bogged down in it with the prequels. It worked for Captain America and I think they could make it work here.
As long as it isn't too serious and retains moments of wonder and adventure which Winter Soldier did pretty well then it could be great. Like I said it looked great until this particular trailer. If this helps further to explain my feelings, my least favorite Star Wars movie of the OT is Empire due to the dark over-dramatic tone of the movie for the most part.
Unclejosh is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 12:54 PM
  #904  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,103
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I actually want to see the WAR part of Star Wars.
Within the context of a light pulp adventure series I agree. I don't need a Saving Private Ryan or Hacksaw Ridge version of Star Wars. And no I dont really think that is what this movie is but the trailer I saw definitely is way more serious than the previous ones I saw.
Unclejosh is offline  
Old 11-15-16, 06:52 AM
  #905  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,457
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Just the overacting, the overdramatic music and shots chosen for the trailer. This is supposed to be a fun pulp adventure series not a dramatic political thriller.
There is nothing about the trailers that make this look like a political thriller. Maybe you can point to Jyn giving a rally speech... but not every second of every film can be comedic or action packed.
Rob V is offline  
Old 11-15-16, 07:50 AM
  #906  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,747
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

when are they going to sell tickets????
raven56706 is offline  
Old 11-15-16, 09:29 AM
  #907  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,103
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
There is nothing about the trailers that make this look like a political thriller. Maybe you can point to Jyn giving a rally speech... but not every second of every film can be comedic or action packed.
The entire plot is a political thriller as is the original Star Wars when you boil it down.

I am saying the trailer I saw emphasized that aspect of it rather than the action/adventure/sci-fi aspect that the previous trailers had focused on.

But good to know that you were inside my head and knew how I reacted to it when I saw it.

I have friends who still insist Winter Soldier was just a dumb superhero action flick with no political leanings or influences from a thriller.

I can't believe this still must be reiterated in 2016 on a message board but YMMV.
Unclejosh is offline  
Old 11-15-16, 11:28 AM
  #908  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,457
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

So if I were to react to the trailer and think it's a rom-com, would you read my posts and need to "be in my head" to know that that's a fucking stupid sentiment? Come on.
Rob V is offline  
Old 11-15-16, 02:07 PM
  #909  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,103
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

I saw a trailer that IN MY FUCKING OPINION played up the political aspect of the movie which in case you are ignorant of the Star Wars saga is a part of it by relying on over-dramatic music cues, overacting, and visuals of rallying speeches and tactical meetings related to stealing an enemy's war plans and you cannot see how someone could interpret that as them playing up the politcal aspect rather than the pulp adventure stuff that most previous trailers have shown and the movies themselves have been?

Again I point to Winter Soldier, if someone saw a trailer for that movie showing the stuff with Robert Redford would you call someone who notice the political aspects of the movie stupid?

Just put me on your ignore list please, I have no use for people denigrating other points of view or interpretations. I explained how I felt when I saw this trailer and you respond by first implying I am imagining it, then calling what I said stupid.

I am done with you and this subject.
Unclejosh is offline  
Old 11-15-16, 03:29 PM
  #910  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

.... someone took this shit personal.

I think Rogue One has to tonally not be anything like the main saga. It's story where we know wtf happens after this story ends. It's got to be more serious than the main saga. Nor do I think it'll be some serious motherfucker of a thing. We can see that it isn't.

ESB is the best film of the franchise. It also totally fits into the pulp nonsense that inspired it. Can't always be all happy and shit. The heroes don't win all the time. I hope all these characters die and then we end it w/ a glimmer of hope being that the information is gotten or getting to Leia. Boom. Hope ends the film.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 11-15-16, 03:58 PM
  #911  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,645
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

I'm curious to know what the end scene will be. We don't see any of these characters, obviously, in the other movies, so it could be more somber then people think and no real payoff moment that SW does so well...
OldBoy is offline  
Old 11-15-16, 04:12 PM
  #912  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,567
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

My guess is the Tantive IV is involved somehow in the final scene.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 08:42 AM
  #913  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: CANADA
Posts: 2,020
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I'm curious to know what the end scene will be. We don't see any of these characters, obviously, in the other movies, so it could be more somber then people think and no real payoff moment that SW does so well...
At the end of the movie they will all live happily ever after on Alderaan.
Damed is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 08:59 AM
  #914  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,457
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
I saw a trailer that IN MY FUCKING OPINION played up the political aspect of the movie which in case you are ignorant of the Star Wars saga is a part of it by relying on over-dramatic music cues, overacting, and visuals of rallying speeches and tactical meetings related to stealing an enemy's war plans and you cannot see how someone could interpret that as them playing up the politcal aspect rather than the pulp adventure stuff that most previous trailers have shown and the movies themselves have been?

Again I point to Winter Soldier, if someone saw a trailer for that movie showing the stuff with Robert Redford would you call someone who notice the political aspects of the movie stupid?

Just put me on your ignore list please, I have no use for people denigrating other points of view or interpretations. I explained how I felt when I saw this trailer and you respond by first implying I am imagining it, then calling what I said stupid.

I am done with you and this subject.
I'm just wondering what unique trailer you were privy to that focuses on the political side of this movie? You're getting a tad worked up over something so stupid... relax.
Rob V is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 11:54 AM
  #915  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,432
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'm just wondering what unique trailer you were privy to that focuses on the political side of this movie? You're getting a tad worked up over something so stupid... relax.
Rob V, just leave it alone please, and stop poking the hornet's nest!
Unclejosh obviously got upset about you using the word stupid to describe his opinion, and then you use the word again in responding to him.
Everyone does not have to agree with one another.
clappj is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 12:37 PM
  #916  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,721
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

There's a Rogue One TV special later this month (25th?).

Think they will have Episode VIII teaser/title there? Still too early?
Ranger is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 03:06 PM
  #917  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,457
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
Rob V, just leave it alone please, and stop poking the hornet's nest!
Unclejosh obviously got upset about you using the word stupid to describe his opinion, and then you use the word again in responding to him.
Everyone does not have to agree with one another.
Ok, well to clarify, I wasn't calling his opinion stupid. If it appeared that way, my apologies.

Sorry unclejosh, wasn't trying to be a dick.
Rob V is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 03:07 PM
  #918  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,457
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
There's a Rogue One TV special later this month (25th?).

Think they will have Episode VIII teaser/title there? Still too early?
I hope so, but I think the trailer may be tied to the R1 release in theaters at first.
Rob V is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 06:52 PM
  #919  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,341
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
My guess is the Tantive IV is involved somehow in the final scene.
I'm guessing we'll have a sense of jubilation as the Tantive IV takes off, or goes on it's way (after being boarded in mid flight to pass the data). Probably after some battle that the rebels are able to triumph (or at least some of the rebels that we care about).

But the very last shot is going to be an ominous shadow or hint of the Star Destroyer trailing them at a distance.

The point being that the dramatic arc of the film can end on a cathartic up beat, while still being able to segue seamlessly into the next chapter.

Seems kind of obvious, but maybe too obvious for them to actually go there.
we'll see.

Just hope the studio interference hasn't done too much damage.
Paul_SD is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 08:11 PM
  #920  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,645
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
There's a Rogue One TV special later this month (25th?).

Think they will have Episode VIII teaser/title there? Still too early?
Channel?
OldBoy is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 08:14 PM
  #921  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

I'm going to guess ABC... cuz... you know... it's owned by Disney.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 11-16-16, 09:10 PM
  #922  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,645
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
I'm going to guess ABC... cuz... you know... it's owned by Disney.
Figured. Checked and no special shows up on 25th...
OldBoy is offline  
Old 11-17-16, 06:40 PM
  #923  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,448
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

devilshalo is offline  
Old 11-17-16, 07:28 PM
  #924  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,676
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

dammit this just looks so fucking good to me...
TGM is offline  
Old 11-17-16, 08:03 PM
  #925  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,608
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
dammit this just looks so fucking good to me...
Me too. I am PUMPED for this. Trying to to let my expectations get too high.
kefrank is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.