DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/620224-rogue-one-star-wars-story-12-16-16-d-edwards-s-jones-luna-mendelsohn-yen.html)

DaveyJoe 12-29-14 02:10 PM

re: Rogue One - Star Wars spinoff (12/16/16) D: Gareth Edwards

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12346926)
I don't think he'd be that bad of a choice. He's a good young actor as proven on Breaking Bad. I wouldn't say that he's had the best film career to date but I think that's just the films he's been in haven't been the greatest not necessarily that he's bad in them. I could kind of see him as a young Solo.

He was great as Jesse Pinkman, but I haven't seen enough to know if he has any range. Has anybody seen him in Exodus?

joe_b 12-29-14 02:41 PM

Yeah, there's no way in hell Aaron Paul is playing Han. First, he looks nothing like Ford. Second, he's older than Harrison was in the first film. If we do see a Solo movie, I'm sure it will be a teenage version so the audience can actually buy that this is the same person at an earlier point in their life.

I really wish they would nix the idea of making prequel films for established characters, but it looks like that ain't happening.

TGM 12-29-14 02:47 PM

I want an 2-1B prequel movie. With him in medical school, residency, etc.

Mike86 12-29-14 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12346990)
He was great as Jesse Pinkman, but I haven't seen enough to know if he has any range. Has anybody seen him in Exodus?

His best film role is probably Smashed.

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12347031)
Yeah, there's no way in hell Aaron Paul is playing Han. First, he looks nothing like Ford. Second, he's older than Harrison was in the first film. If we do see a Solo movie, I'm sure it will be a teenage version so the audience can actually buy that this is the same person at an earlier point in their life.

Actually Aaron Paul is 35 which is the same age that Harrison Ford was when A New Hope came out. Paul looks younger than Ford even at that age did though so I think he could get away with playing a Han in his late twenties or early thirties. I don't think we'll see a Han in his teens, I'd imagine the film would focus more on his smuggling days before meeting up with Luke and Obi-Wan.

DaveyJoe 12-29-14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12347042)

What about a 'Scrubs' style sitcom?

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12347053)
His best film role is probably Smashed.

Never heard of it.

Mike86 12-29-14 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12347073)
Never heard of it.

It wasn't really a mainstream film and was more indie.

Shannon Nutt 12-29-14 05:00 PM

Given the reported fate of said character in Episode VIII, a prequel that comes either right before or right after that movie (depending on when they're going to release it) makes sense.

Although I'm unsure about someone else playing Han Solo...although it semi-worked for Indiana Jones.

Honestly, I'd rather see a movie about a lesser-known character...like Lando, perhaps.

At least they didn't go with Yoda or Ben Kenobi...I have no interest in seeing either - especially after all the Clone Wars stuff (sure, animated, but enough with the Jedi - I want to see stories from outside that realm).

Shannon Nutt 12-29-14 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12347031)

Maybe Paul will play the guy who gives Han his vest.

"You lost today, kid...but that doesn't mean you have to like it." ;)

windom 12-29-14 05:28 PM

I'd be up for that. I've been wondering how he first met FX-7 all these years.

Jason 12-31-14 08:41 AM

I want a Jar Jar movie, preferably marketed as a SAW sequel.

Abob Teff 12-31-14 09:31 PM

Star Wars: Grey Metal Anatomy

Abob Teff 12-31-14 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12346730)
Exactly, after 6 movies I'm sick of the Skywalker fucking family. Aaron Johnson was great in Breaking Bad, but I don't want to see him(or anybody else) imitating the iconic Ford role. I would think history would leave you folks very wary of prequel stories with this franchise. All we're hearing about these films makes it seem like Disney is just cashing in on the Star Wars name and doesn't bode well for having exciting new stories to tell.

Aaron Paul is nothing more than Nicolas Cage for a new age.

If they want to tell me a story about the Rebellion, the Clone Wars, the Sith, or any other "prequel" event I am OK with that. If they want to continue shoehorning in one family and one set of characters, I am out.

If you took this approach to real history it would entail George Washington's descendants continually crossing paths with the descendants of Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin as they lead the United States to victory in the Civil War, WWI, WW2, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Gulf War, and the War on Drugs. (Yes, that is intended to be as goofy as I wrote it.)

karoomba 01-02-15 01:26 PM

Clearly a Han Solo prequel film can only star Shia LaBeouf!

Shannon Nutt 01-02-15 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by karoomba (Post 12350407)
Clearly a Han Solo prequel film can only star Shia LaBeouf!

...and monkeys. Don't forget the monkeys.

Drexl 01-02-15 08:55 PM

I'd rather see Paul as Dash Rendar in a Shadows of the Empire movie.

Abob Teff 01-02-15 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 12350483)
...and monkeys. Don't forget the monkeys.

Those aren't monkeys ... they are baby Chewbaccas!

windom 01-02-15 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 12350738)
Those aren't monkeys ... they are baby Chewbaccas!

Maybe one of the spinoffs could feature Lumpawaroo. He should be fully grown at this point.

joe_b 01-10-15 12:56 AM

Gary Whitta has left the movie after finishing an initial draft. There's speculation a new screenwriter will be brought in:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...e-loses-762372

EDIT: Slash Film now has an unconfirmed report that Simon Kinberg is revising the script. So they're replacing the guy who wrote After Earth with the guy who wrote X-Men: The Last Stand? Talk about going from bad to worse. At this rate, I'm expecting Akiva Goldsman to be brought in to script the next spin-off (with revisions by Ehren Kruger, of course). :sarcasm:

dex14 01-20-15 09:49 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to Maslany.

The first Star Wars standalone could come under attack from a clone.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Tatiana Maslany, the Canadian actress who stars as multiple replicants in BBC America's hit series Orphan Black, is testing for the female lead in the Star Wars spinoff that is being directed by Gareth Edwards.

Rooney Mara, who starred in the David Fincher version of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, is also due to test this week among a handful of others, according to multiple sources.

Additionally Felicity Jones, who just received an Oscar nomination for best actress for her work in The Theory of Everything, is said to be on the want list, although there may be scheduling issues with Inferno, the Da Vinci Code sequel that Ron Howard is due to direct this spring and summer.

Plot and character details for the movie (will it focus on young Han Solo? Young Leia?) are being kept hidden deep in an R2 unit. Insiders say that reading and testing for the movie occurred in the U.K. in December and has now moved stateside.

At this stage, Lucasfilm has two Star Wars standalones in development, one with Edwards, the filmmaker behind last year's Godzilla movie, and Josh Trank. Only the Edwards one has a release date: Dec. 16, 2016.

Edwards' project is currently seeking writers after Garry Whitta completed a first draft and left the project.

In the aftermath, rumors surfaced that Simon Kinberg, who is already co-writing the Trank standalone with Lawrence Kasdan, would take over writing during. Sources, however, say that while Kinberg is creatively involved in Star Wars in an overall manner, there are no plans for him to take over. Kinberg is additionally crafting the X-Men universe, writing the X-Men: Apocalypse script for Fox and overseeing the upcoming Fantastic Four reshoots for which he did the rewrites.

Disney had no comment on the testing nor did the actress' reps.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...testing-764807

joe_b 01-20-15 10:07 PM

Ugh, I really don't care for Rooney Mara... so I'm sure she'll get the role. :lol:

Only seen Felicity Jones in bit parts on Doctor Who and in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (seemed like a poor choice for Black Cat if that's where they're heading), so it's hard to judge her. I do think Tatiana is a talented actress. Haven't watched Orphan Black yet, but she was great as Ghost in Ginger Snaps 2.

Mabuse 01-21-15 09:30 AM

The sexist in me doesn't really want a SW film centered on a female character. My daughters will probably love it.

Obi-Wanma 01-21-15 09:32 AM

It doesn't say that the film is centered on a female character. It says they are testing for the female lead. Presumably there could also be male leads. Carrie Fisher is the female lead of the OT.

Ranger 01-21-15 09:38 AM

I like the Orphan Black show.

Now I'm thinking maybe X-Wing spin-off with a female pilot as the lead. Would be strange if they leave out the Force users and light sabers but it could work.

Josh-da-man 01-21-15 12:33 PM

Star Wars needs more chicks. It's too much of a sausagefest as it stands now.

Michael Corvin 01-21-15 08:46 PM

Yeah, but Leia and Padme more than made up for the lack of other females.