Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Yen

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Not a single use of the word "fuck". Good job Snake!

And, yeah, that makes sense. Though we kind of know the ending, I think there will be more surprises than most anticipate.
Old 04-30-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16, D: Edwards) S: Jones, Luna, Mendelsohn, Y

Hey, I'm excited for this just to see Donnie Yen kicking ass in a Star Wars film.
Old 04-30-16, 08:31 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Are people not all that crazy about this coming out? I just figured there'd be more hype around here (and other places).

I'm absolutely excited about this and all the possibilities but I haven't seen much enthusiasm online. Maybe I've missed it.
Check when the trailer came out. We were all about that. But there hasn't been much else since then to talk about. The back of someone's wok helmet ain't gonna generate much buzz around here
Old 04-30-16, 08:32 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Super X
Hey, I'm excited for this just to see Donnie Yen kicking ass in a Star Wars film.
Hopefully more than what those guys from The Raid got in TFA
Old 04-30-16, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I think excitement (and business) overall will be about half of Ep7, so while I'm sure everyone here is excited for the movie, it's not to the degree of the last movie - which was the newest SW in 10yrs, and the first time seeing the returning cast in 32yrs.

Just today, we have more Ep8 behind the scenes footage, speculation than we had for all of Rogue One. (shots of the Falcon, a couple of sets at Pinewood) I am a little surprised that thread hasn't been updated yet.
Old 05-04-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone can give a brief list of the Rogue One toys that came out this week?

I might swing by a Disney store on Friday just to check them out.

Celebraiton 2017 will be in Orlando in next April. Wonder if Star Wars land would be finished by then.
Old 05-04-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Anyone can give a brief list of the Rogue One toys that came out this week?
The Rogue One stuff isn't out until September 30. Today is Star Wars day... you're thinking of Force Friday.
Old 05-04-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Aw, yeah, I guess it was jsut sales on other SW toys.
Old 05-17-16, 09:06 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Okay guys, we finally have a good amount of information on Star Wars: Rogue One, which hits theaters later this year. An official preview of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: The Official Visual Story Guide has been posted online, giving us an unprecedented amount of new images and new information for the upcoming Gareth Edwards stand-alone Star Wars film.

The new information contains character names and information on all the main characters, new vehicles from both the Rebellion and the Empire, and much more. Since this information is being released as a preview to promote a book six months before the release of the film, I’m pretty sure none of this information is considered spoilers (it certainly doesn’t seem spoiler-ish). Hit the jump to hyperspace!

Spoiler:
A 10-page preview of the Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: The Official Visual Story Guide was released in the Edelweiss catalog as part of a Macmillan Winter 2016 preview (discovered via: jedi-bibliothek.de thanks to /film reader Mike J). While the book doesn’t list an author, I’m hoping that Lucasfilm story group member Pablo Hidalgo is behind this as his work on the Force Awakens visual guide was fantastic. The 164 page book features 130 Full-Color Photos. Here is the official book description:

The official companion book to fall’s most anticipated release of Star Wars Rogue One. Never-before-seen interviews, images and teasers from this major motion picture. Detailed, in-depth character profiles, iconic vehicles, weaponry and droids. Lucas Films proudly presents the official companion book to this fall’s most anticipated release of Star Wars Rogue One. Featuring never-before-seen interviews, images and teasers from this major motion picture. Experience all the thrills with detailed, in-depth character profiles, iconic vehicles, weaponry and droids you’ve been looking for. Featuring 160 pages of action-packed photos and content, this official Lucasfilm collector’s book is a must-have for every Star Wars fan.

The book will be released on January 24th 2017 with a $24.99 msrp — you can pre-order now on Amazon. Now lets get to the new information.

Star Wars: Rogue One Character Names

The book gives us the names and some brief information about the rogue band of resistance fighters who unite to steal the Death Star plans. Note that most of the text on these pages is placeholder text and the page previews note that the layouts are not final. That said, it seems like most of the names at very least are correct as some of the new names line up with previous rumors.

Felicity Jones plays Jyn Erso , a highly skilled soldier and warrior.
Diego Luna plays Captain Cassian Andor , an officer in the Rebel Alliance.
Jiang Wen plays Baze , a freelance assassin
Riz Ahmed plays Bodhi, a rebel soldier.
??? plays Pao , an alien who is described as a “fierce warrior”. Looks like another computer generated character.
Donnie Yen plays Chirrut, who is described as “a spiritual warrior.”
???? plays Bistan, another CG-looking alien who is also described as “fierce warrior”.

I was surprised to learn about the alien members of this rebel group. You can see a glimpse of them in the pages spread above. While some of the first names have made appearances previously in obscure RPGs and books, none of the full character names have appeared before in Star Wars lore, canon or Legends.

Most interesting is we now know what computer generated character Alan Tudyk plays in the film, an imperial model K-250 enforcer droid. While most of the text on this page is filler, it does appear that the droid character was a former Empire security droid who somehow joins the film’s group of rebel fighters on this daring heist.

Another page reveals information on one of the Imperial villains: Ben Mendelsohn plays Director Krennic, a military director for the Empire. Yeah, not very much there but it appears that his job is to prevent the rebellion from getting the Death Star plans which should make him the main villain of the film even though a couple of these pages confirms that Darth Vader will make some kind of appearance.
http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-character-names/
Old 05-17-16, 10:03 AM

Bistan kinda looks like a hairy Sontaran from Doctor Who. Adorable.
Old 05-17-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

The droid looks like the fellow who helped Luke recover on Hoth.
Old 05-17-16, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
The droid looks like the fellow who helped Luke recover on Hoth.

Old 05-17-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Looks very PC for me. All it's missing is a redhead.
Old 05-17-16, 04:45 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looks very PC for me. All it's missing is a redhead.
Old 05-17-16, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo

Yep, the Laputa robots were the first thing that crossed my mind.
Old 05-17-16, 06:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine as well. Where is that statue? Japan I suppose.
Old 05-17-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
Well, there you go.
Old 05-17-16, 07:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Why do they keep fucking with Donnie Yens eyes in American made movies. In Blade II he had weird looking eyeballs. Now here. He's been typecasted.
Old 05-17-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Looks like Di$ney made them pull the pictures.

This stuff anywhere else?
Old 05-17-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Why do they keep fucking with Donnie Yens eyes in American made movies. In Blade II he had weird looking eyeballs. Now here. He's been typecasted.
At least in Blade II, he got to fight somebody.
Old 05-17-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Like everything shown! I think the full trailer and official Vader reveal will happen at SW Celebration in July...this seems like a leak, but nothing really devastating. Still, are these visual guides that popular? Maybe they could print them 6+months after the movie opens next time.

What I'm hoping is that this plays as a nice companion to ANH...something that you could actually start with, before going through the Episode films. Maybe seeing Vader here will actually enhance your view of him in 4-6. Edwards strikes me as a pretty conservative director....so the style of the shots, etc shouldn't be too stylistically different from the OT.
Old 05-17-16, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Hes of asian descent. They are supposed to look like that.
Old 05-30-16, 10:37 PM

Page Six is reporting that Disney is not pleased with the first cut of the movie and are planning expensive reshoots.

The much-anticipated “Rogue One” is due for release on Dec. 16, but we’re told bosses at Disney are not fully satisfied with the first cut from director Gareth Edwards.

One Hollywood source told us, “The execs at Disney are not happy with the movie, and ‘Rogue One’ will have to go back into four weeks of expensive reshoots in July.”

It was announced earlier this month that Edwards would not direct “Godzilla 2” later this year, and would instead “focus on smaller films.” But the movie insider told us, “Gareth’s work on the first ‘Godzilla’ [which came out in 2014] shows he can handle a big studio blockbuster. But ‘Rogue One’ has fallen short of what J.J. Abrams did with ‘Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens.’ So Disney has ordered reshoots.”

Edwards is well-known as a risk-taking director, but has also been reported to prefer to keep studio influence at a minimum. The source added, “Disney won’t take a back seat, and is demanding changes, as the movie isn’t testing well.”
Old 05-30-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't Page Six a gossip rag? Every major movie has "expensive reshoots". Not sure why this would be news unless they have major revelations, which is seems they do not.
Old 05-30-16, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I guess they weren't expecting Godzilla in the Hoth sequences.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.