Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Singer, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: X-Men: Days of Future Past (Singer, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
11.97%
24.79%
41.88%
12.82%
5.13%
1.71%
0%
0%
0%
0%
1.71%
X-Men 4: A New Hope
0%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Singer, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 12:46 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past (Singer, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Here is a shot of Ms. Lawrence and Mr. Hoult playing basketball. You know he had to tap that.

brings a whole new meaning to the term "blue balls".
Old 05-25-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Loved it, much better than X Men first class. Quicksilver worked out alot better than I thought he would.

Also, I loved the 70's era video quality during the Paris scenes.

The post credits scene with Apocalypse was really interesting, wonder how that is going to play out in the next movie.
Old 05-25-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I saw Chris Clairemont in the movie, but does anyone know if John Byrne had a cameo?
No to Byrne, but I think IGN said Len Wein cameo'd too.

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Also, I loved the 70's era video quality during the Paris scenes.
Yeah, it was nice looking at "Found footage" via non-digital sources. Speaking of Paris, hearing "Stop in the name of love" in french was a doozy. Really nice soundtrack here overall.
Old 05-25-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Weren't two the bystanders in the Beast-Magneto fight Claremont and Singer himself? And yeah, those 8mm newsreel-style shots were awesome, especially against the really rich digit the rest of the movie was shot on. Analog-nostalgia head that I am, it was also cool seeing all of the old equipment. I know Siegel was an amazing DP, but after seeing his work with Refn on Drive, I got an idea just HOW good, and this only confirmed it.
Old 05-25-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

I saw DOFP today and I really liked it.

It was dark, grim, and occasionally unpleasant (which isn't bad if it fits the story, and it did), but it also had the occasional bits of humor and fun that the X-Men movies have been known for. It was a fairly epic X-Men story.

But where do I put it among the rest of the X-Movies?

X2
X1
The Wolverine
X3
DOFP
First Class
Origins Wolverine

I'll never understand the hate that X3 gets. It's got some great characterization going on and the issue of the, "Cure," really resonated as a social issue that would have been extremely controversial in the real world. I thought that Rogue's personal dilemma was handled extremely well, and I thought that the Wolverine/Jean arc was handled really well. And then there was Magneto, who really seemed to be a well rounded character. He wanted to let Jean be Jean, but at the same time you could tell that he had his own concerns and was really afraid of her. I thought it was well written and the actors did a great job. The only thing I can really see criticizing the movie for was cramming two movies worth of stuff into one movie, but even then I thought they did a better job of it than Sam Raimi did with Spider-Man 3.

And the reason why I put X3 just above DOFP is that it's just more fun. It's more pure entertainment, where DOFP is really dark and grim. I'd say that DOFP is a better written and better directed movie, but I just enjoy X3 more because it is more fun (and, truth be told, I think the actors did a better job overall in X3 than they did in DOFP).

In the end, I'm a huge fan of the X-Men series, and I'm really happy with this one. I would have never guessed 30+ years ago when I first bought X-Men issues 141 and 142 that we'd see an adaptation of it on the big screen.
Old 05-25-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

B5ERik....you are soooooooooooooooo off on your assessment of this series. X3 was simply awful. What character development are you referring to? It had zero. Rogue was mishandled in the first 2 movies and here she was just a complete waste of time. As for being well written....well each to their own, but i found it garbage of the worst kind. It took characters like Angel and Juggernaut that should have been awesome on screen and destroyed their coolness. And putting First Class and DoFP below this and X1 is just way off base. X1 was a good movie for the time, but its not aged too well and the action scenes are really underwhelming.

I saw DoFP yesterday and i have mixed feelings about it. I felt it was certainly a big step back in the right direction, but i was not sure how i felt about it as an overall movie. Mystique is cool, but at times i got a little sick of seeing her onscreen. I know that Lawrence is hot property now and that the original comic arc concentrated a lot on her, but i wanted to spend a little more time with other characters.

Quicksilver was certainly the highlight of the movie, and the one scene really was cool. However, i am now even more interested to see Quicksilver in the Avengers. The character was left hanging too soon in the movie. Seemed weird.

The future scenes in the movie were well handled and i really enjoyed those. It did feel weird that Wolverine really didn't help much other than being a messenger in this movie. Felt he got short changed.

After First Class i was much more interested to keep going with that gang than the original X-men from the first series. Looks like we might get a good reboot with some old characters coming back with younger actors. That would be very interesting.

Be cool to see how they handle Apocalypse. So they will get their big blue Demi-god to the screen before a full on movie with Thanos. Fox is really trying to steal the Avengers thunder. Doubt that will happen, but glad to see the X-men franchise back on track. I am sure on second viewing i will enjoy the movie more.
Old 05-25-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I agree with B5Erik, I personally don't think X3 is that bad either. I feel it's one of those movies that it's been "declared" to suck by some sort of mass fan consensus and have no redeeming value but it's got its good points. The cure stuff is good, Phoenix storyline was quite different than the comics but it works on its own terms, mostly ... IMHO anyway. Personally I rank it well above BOTH the Wolverine movies which were terrible. (I may be alone in thinking The Wolverine was worse than Origins, personally)

If we're grading the series, my rank at now would be

X2
DOFP
First Class
X3
X-Men
Wolverine: origins
The Wolverine
Old 05-25-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

This was Fassbender's movie. This and First Class do not work at all without him. He was really inspired casting compared to the low energy that McKellan brought to the to the role.
Old 05-25-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just got back from seeing it.

Something about this movie just felt hollow. Felt like they were going through motions with no story to tell and no characters to explore. Also, the continuity was all wonky. It kinda fit with First Class, but not at all with the other X-Men films or the last Wolverine.

Also, it felt like they were just pulling powers out of their ass whenever it suited the script. The only real fun superhero stuff I enjoyed, was all the stuff with Quicksilver - they hit just the right tone with everything involving him, and I wish the rest of the movie had that same fun tone, instead of the dower, boring thing it ended up being.
Old 05-25-14, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

The Last Stand is fucking awful all around. The one I think gets more hate than it deserves is X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's not a perfect film by any means but I think the actual origin story of Logan/Wolverine is decent. There's some crap in it like what the film did to Deadpool and the Sabertooth story was just so-so. Other than that though I think it's okay and has some good action.

My rankings would probably be:
Days of Future Past
First Class
X2: X-Men United
The Wolverine
X-Men
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The Last Stand
Old 05-25-14, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X3 was fucking horrid. What do you expect from
a KISS fanboy?
Old 05-25-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a
B5ERik....you are soooooooooooooooo off on your assessment of this series. X3 was simply awful. What character development are you referring to? It had zero.
Zero? I would have to take serious issue with that assessment. First, you've got Scott struggling to deal with Jean's death. Then you've got Logan's conflicted feelings about Jean. She jumps on him and will give him what he wants, but he can tell that something is wrong. He can have what he has wanted for years, but he knows that it wouldn't be real because there is something seriously wrong with Jean. You've got Magneto showing concern for his fellow mutants, including Jean, but also showing some fear when it comes to her. Then, of course, you've got Rogue, who desperately wants to connect with her boyfriend, but she can't because it will kill him - and when the, "Cure," comes about she can have what she wants, but at a very high price so she is appropriately conflicted.

That's just part of what's going on. Zero character development? There's a ton here. You're falling into groupthink. The accepted wisdom is that X3 sucks. Well, this is a case of groupthink without the thinking. The cure subplot alone is worth the price of admission. What if they could cure dwarfism or homosexuality? Would those things be acceptable? This is serious social commentary going on and it is handled very well.

It took characters like Angel and Juggernaut that should have been awesome on screen and destroyed their coolness.
"Destroyed their coolness?" How old are you? 16? The Juggernaut was appropriately portrayed. He was tough, he was practically unstoppable. He was marginally funny, too, in his arrogance. The only issue with him was the same as with Angel - not enough screen time. Yes, they did try to cram too much into this movie, but as I said it's handled better than Raimi handled the same thing in Spider-Man 3.

And putting First Class and DoFP below this and X1 is just way off base. X1 was a good movie for the time, but its not aged too well and the action scenes are really underwhelming.
Good for it's time? That time wasn't very long ago. Practically the blink of an eye. How old are you? Seriously, that's not meant as a put down, but just a realization that age gives us very different perspectives.

Let me put it to you this way - I was reading X-Men comics when Jean Grey was the Dark Phoenix for the first time in print. As a long time fan I've been very happy with the X-Men movies.

But I stopped reading comics in the mid 90's and I don't really care about the comics after that point. Marvel turned me off from buying comics at that point, and I just stopped. So if you're coming at it from that angle or perspective (a post mid 90's comics perspective) then we just see the franchise differently based on what comics we read.
Old 05-25-14, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I agree with B5Erik, I personally don't think X3 is that bad either.
same, just as I don't get the love for First Class
haven't seen DOFP yet but look forward to doing so on Wed ... hopefully it comes close to my fave X2
Old 05-25-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I think a large part of the unfair X3 hate is the fact that Brett Ratner directed it. There are a lot of people who hate most of his movies so I think those feelings carry over to X3, even though it is a good movie with a lot of good stuff going on.

I'm no Ratner fan, but I think he did a fairly good job with X3. The producers had most of that stuff (script, cast, crew) in place before he took over, so it may be a case of being good in spite of him.
Old 05-25-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

X3 is garbage. Ratner almost neutered the franchise. He can go fuck himself.

Glad this film gives him the finger.
Old 05-25-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

How can anyone defend X3? They fucking killed off Cyclops! Was
Spoiler:
so happy when i saw him at the end of this

Last edited by redrum; 05-25-14 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-25-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
same, just as I don't get the love for First Class
haven't seen DOFP yet but look forward to doing so on Wed ... hopefully it comes close to my fave X2
Right, which is why I don't get the love for X3.

Same shit, different drink.
Old 05-25-14, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like all the X-Men movies and both Wolverine movies. Nitpicking movies to death is dumb. Deal with it.
Old 05-25-14, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Normally I'd agree but The Last Stand is genuinely bad and there are reasons to hate it. The Phoenix storyline was horribly handled and killing off Cyclops are among some of the worst choices made in the franchise.
Old 05-25-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm confused as to why people in here are questioning why Wolverine has adamantium claws at the end of the film? Either I missed something or we really never know, as he never reveals them in the "new" current time. He just walks around the school for a minute or two. For all we know, they are still bone from the 70's.

He wasn't really in First Class, and they were bone in this film. Every other film is basically obsolete now, so they may still be bone. I'm not getting peoples confusion over this.
Old 05-26-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

In the future scenes, his claws were covered with adamantium. That's what people here are questioning.
Old 05-26-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that's one problem I had with this film. The gap between the end of The Wolverine and this film was non-existent and I think there could have been a short scene bridging the end of that film to the start of Days of Future Past. Especially since the end of The Wolverine was a lead in to this film.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-26-14 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-26-14, 01:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I agree with B5Erik, I personally don't think X3 is that bad either. I feel it's one of those movies that it's been "declared" to suck by some sort of mass fan consensus and have no redeeming value but it's got its good points.
The Last Stand has exactly two good points. The dialogue between Logan and Charles when Jean is first recovered and Kelsey Grammer as Beast. The rest of the movie is garbage. Within the first five minutes it's painfully obvious how horrid and a step down from the previous films the writing is.
Old 05-26-14, 01:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber
This was Fassbender's movie.
No, it was McAvoy's.
Old 05-26-14, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
Felt like they were going through motions with no story to tell and no characters to explore.
Are you sure you didn't unknowingly stumble into a screening of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 instead?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.