Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Old 05-27-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm hearing Critics are complaining that.... (not a real plot spoiler)
Spoiler:
there are too many Monster fights

Not sure how I feel about that.
Old 05-27-19, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Spoiler:

Really....
Old 05-27-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

If you feel that those interminably long final battles in lots of otherwise perfectly fine films is something you can do without, or would prefer were trimmed by 10-15 minutes, then perhaps the critics have a point.

Having said this I still am eager to see this film on opening weekend.
Old 05-28-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:

is this a joke? for fuck sake. Friday cant come soon enough then.

Old 05-28-19, 05:58 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/god..._monsters_2019
Old 05-28-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is VERY evident so many of these critics have never seen a Godzilla film and/or find no joy in life.
Old 05-28-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, reading the few reviews out there, you sure can tell which ones are Kaiju fans, and which ones are not. It definitely sounds like I’m going to get my money’s worth....
Old 05-28-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Friend in San Diego is at the screening right now. He was looking for a +1 on his pass.
Old 05-29-19, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

from the Empire (*/****) review

...That’s because the staggeringly poor script merely has everyone standing around and explaining the plot and their personal motivations to one another in dialogue so clichéd that it goes far beyond winking B-movie pastiche. When characters aren’t spouting dramatically inert Monarch-centric exposition that only exists to establish Wikipedia-dump franchise lore, they’re somehow mysteriously guessing Godzilla’s own intentions. And yet what little character traits are established are inconsistent and routinely ignored — grieving father Mark is set up as monster-phobic one minute, but has everyone chase after Godzilla the next. There’s no human spark to any of them, nobody to truly root for.

All of which would be more forgivable if the monster mash-ups satisfied — but they too disappoint. For the most part the action sequences are lost in shaky cameras and jittery editing, with the first key set-piece taking place in a storm that renders everything genuinely incoherent.
Old 05-29-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

So people complained that the Gareth Edwards movie didn't have ENOUGH Godzilla, and now they're complaining that the new one has TOO MUCH Godzilla.
Old 05-29-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
It is VERY evident so many of these critics have never seen a Godzilla film and/or find no joy in life.
Bingo....with many or most of these so-called "Professional Critics, like everything else Political Correctness has gotten out of hand along with taking things way too seriously especially in the area of Sci-Fi/Fantasy IGN has their review up...7.8....with heaps of praise on the CGI, action, fights and Godzilla kicking serious booty.....but then does a slight put-down on the characters, their use, the plot.....which how many times have we seen that complaint in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Movies.... https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05...onsters-review.
Old 05-29-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
So people complained that the Gareth Edwards movie didn't have ENOUGH Godzilla, and now they're complaining that the new one has TOO MUCH Godzilla.
It's almost like saying Superman Returns didn't have enough action and getting Man of Steel in return.

Some people are going to love it, some people are going to hate it.
Old 05-29-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

No Godzilla movie needs to be more than 2 hours long. There, I said it.
Old 05-29-19, 09:12 AM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

It just sounds like it is a shitty script.
Old 05-29-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

If the fights are incoherent, like the BayFormers movies, I can see some complaints there. Both franchises should relish in showing the fights from a further out perspective, showing just how huge and destructive they are. The only time I remember it happening in Transformers was the Scorponok scene in the first one.
Old 05-29-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Looking at trailers and seeing just about every human and human interaction, I could already see that it was going to be shitty in that sense. I still cringe at the whole "It's Godzilla's world, we're just living it." Really? Yikes. I just want to see it because it promises more fights and we actually get to see them unlike we did with the 2014 version.
Old 05-29-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

I still want to see kaiju battles, script be damned.
Old 05-29-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Any critic that goes into a screening of a Godzilla movie and expects a great script with regards to the humans is a moron. As with any Godzilla movie I expect the human characters to be idiotic, shallow and complete window dressing for the action. I ain't going in expecting "A Room With A View", unless that rooms view is onto 500ft lizards beating the holy hell out of one another.
Old 05-29-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what the hell do you expect with a movie with gigantic animals... for fuck sake. what the hell do the critics want?
Old 05-29-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Any critic that goes into a screening of a Godzilla movie and expects a great script with regards to the humans is a moron. As with any Godzilla movie I expect the human characters to be idiotic, shallow and complete window dressing for the action. I ain't going in expecting "A Room With A View", unless that rooms view is onto 500ft lizards beating the holy hell out of one another.
I wouldn't go that far. That's like giving a pass to the godawful-atrocious Michael Bay transformers movies because they have "giant robots" and I shouldn't expect a halfway decent storyline.

Old 05-29-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Name any Godzilla movie dating back to when we first feel in love with him? I thought there was any real ground breaking storyline that was followed.... ever.

I decent side story is good enough for me. I am here for the giant monsters fighting with popcorn and hotdog in hand.
Old 05-29-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

The love story between American astronaut Nick Adams and alien spy Kumi Mizuno in GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO was a pretty substantial subplot.

"In defense of Earth we'll fight to the last man, baby."

Old 05-29-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I wouldn't go that far. That's like giving a pass to the godawful-atrocious Michael Bay transformers movies because they have "giant robots" and I shouldn't expect a halfway decent storyline.
This movie isn't that. Transformers to me is boring in terms of plot and characters AND action.

King of the Monsters, when the shit is going down is dope! I did find myself wishing they had characters and a plot I cared about in the least though. I like all of the actors in this, but I did not give a shit about them. Ok, fine, no big deal, we're here for the monsters, right? Absolutely, which is why I was annoyed that there was as much human story as there was. I'm ok with a plot being blah, but if the plot is going to be blah streamline that shit. This movie does not earn its 2 hour running time IMHO, and I wish they kept this at say an hour and 45 minutes to keep the focus all the way on the monsters.

While this has the best giant monster I've ever seen, I would have loved to care about the characters in this as much as I did in Pacific Rim, or if this movie had the balance of Skull Island that I enjoyed so much.

But again, when the monsters are on the screen, I was all the way into it, and unlike what some are saying, I wish there was more. During one fight, the camera sorta cuts away from the action, having it play out in the backroung (for a bit -- they focus on it again) and that was some bullshit.

Best characters -- Pacific Rim
Best action - King of the Monsters (these giants have a weight to them that I don't think have ever been put to screen in the same way)
Best combination of characters, plot, and action -- Skull Island.
Old 05-29-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
what the hell do you expect with a movie with gigantic animals... for fuck sake. what the hell do the critics want?
This is a textbook example of a movie where the Rotten Tomatoes rating has zero impact on me seeing it or not.

I am a little concerned about comments I've seen complaining about how the battles were shot in a way that made it difficult to tell what's going on. One comment compared it to the Battle of Winterfell episode of GoT. And the scenes and images I'm seeing are mostly at night. Crossing my fingers that doesn't turn out to be an issue for me.

With my schedule, it'll be hard for me to see this for the next couple of weeks. But I'll see it eventually. I'll probably miss the window to see it in 3D and IMAX though. I have a feeling the 3D won't be worth it. IMAX is nice but it's a pain in the butt for me to get to an IMAX theater even under the best circumstances.
Old 05-29-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee

I am a little concerned about comments I've seen complaining about how the battles were shot in a way that made it difficult to tell what's going on.
For whatever it is worth, I didn't have any issues with this at all.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.