Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Martian -- 2015, D: Ridley Scott; S: Damon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Martian -- 2015, D: Ridley Scott; S: Damon

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: The Martian -- D: Ridley Scott; S: Damon

This film looks like a mix of MISSION TO MARS, INTERSTELLAR and GRAVITY. And it's got at least two of the cast of INTERSTELLAR. Aren't you guys tired of this stuff by now?

My question is this: if Damon is stranded on Mars, why doesn't he do what Nolan had McConnaughey do in INTERSTELLAR? Go into a black hole, without a space ship, and communicate via Morse Code to his daughter in Texas. It's so easy!
Old 06-08-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Talking Spielberg and warmth. That ending to War of the Worlds. I was w/ that movie all the way to the end till that annoying piece of shit came back from what was undoubtedly impossible to survive but everyone takes it in and it's ok?
That's the single most scrutinized part of that movie, many people base their opinions of that movie (dislike) around that last minute addition.
Old 06-08-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. That's a fantastic trailer. I'll have the read the book now.
Old 06-08-15, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really thought it was a damn good movie and it would have even better if that last minute or two was changed. It just devalued so much of the film. I still really dig the movie but all it takes is that last bit and it just kills me like crazy.
Old 06-08-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Solid trailer. I'm interested.

On a character note, it looks like Wiig has the important role of constantly holding her hands together in front of her mouth and looking nervous.
Old 06-08-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
This film looks like a mix of MISSION TO MARS, INTERSTELLAR and GRAVITY. And it's got at least two of the cast of INTERSTELLAR. Aren't you guys tired of this stuff by now?
It's actually a combination of Apollo 13 meets Castaway. It's not so much about technology and technobabble but of human ingenuity and SCIENCE!!! in the face of a cold, hostile, alien environment.

Dave Bowman and the Podbay Doors: The Musical!! (without the music)

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 06-10-15 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm about 50 pages from finishing this book. It's excellent, and I'm genuinely looking forward to this movie.

The 'meet the crew' thing they did was a neat concept, but it was not executed very well. The trailer, on the other hand, was very, very good.
Old 06-08-15, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? I thought it was a good promo ad for the Ares.
Old 06-08-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

My question is this: if Damon is stranded on Mars, why doesn't he do what Nolan had McConnaughey do in INTERSTELLAR? Go into a black hole, without a space ship, and communicate via Morse Code to his daughter in Texas. It's so easy!
Spoiler:
So Matt Damon just tries to kill the crew that comes to save him, right?

But really, just 3 movies in space that aren't really similar at all would be enough to be "tired" of them?
Old 06-08-15, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
But really, just 3 movies in space that aren't really similar at all would be enough to be "tired" of them?
Especially since one of his three examples was made 15 years ago.
Old 06-08-15, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Solid trailer. I'm interested.

On a character note, it looks like Wiig has the important role of constantly holding her hands together in front of her mouth and looking nervous.
Interestingly, she has 3rd billing though (after Damon and Chastain), so it would appear her role is substantial.
Old 06-10-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Finally got around to seeing the trailer and it looks like Interstellar's "redheaded" cousin. I'll be there. A friend of mine read teh book and said it was awesome.

I did chuckle, because Kristen Wiig's sole purpose in that trailer is to hold her hands together over her mouth in despair.
Old 06-10-15, 02:54 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Is this the prequel to the John Cusack film?
Old 06-10-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Anyone honestly think this will be any good? You guys saw PROMETHEUS, right?

I wonder how many "general public" moviegoers will see this trailer and think, "Hey, didn't we already see this movie last Christmas?"
Old 06-10-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
From what I've been told Exodus : Gods & Kings makes Prometheus look like Citizen Kane.
Old 06-10-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It all depends on the quality of the script. Scott storyboards and puts exactly what was in the script on screen with just enough necessary subtext to glue it together.

The only things a Scott movie guarantees anymore, are the specific tone and visuals. Old age must have hit him hard though, he has kept himself heavily buried in work since he turned 62...and now he's 77.

I like Andy Weir's imdb credits page:

Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (Video Game) (programmer: installer)

Quite the career change

Last edited by RichC2; 06-10-15 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
It all depends on the quality of the script. Scott storyboards and puts exactly what was in the script on screen with just enough necessary subtext to glue it together.
The_Strangeler
» Thu May 1 2014 06:06:45 Flag ▼

| Reply |

IMDb member since April 2005

......Sir Ridley Scott is a cinematographer at heart. He is not much of a director, with -- as I said -- little interest or ability when it comes to story, writing, or actors and acting.
Scott's pictures are beautiful junk without those things, and it's no coincidence that his few good movies -- Alien, Blade Runner and The Duellists -- have all of them.
Old 06-10-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved the trailer. I just wished it wasn't the give-away-the-entire-movie variety.
Old 06-10-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
The_Strangeler
» Thu May 1 2014 06:06:45 Flag ▼

| Reply |

IMDb member since April 2005

......Sir Ridley Scott is a cinematographer at heart. He is not much of a director, with -- as I said -- little interest or ability when it comes to story, writing, or actors and acting.
Scott's pictures are beautiful junk without those things, and it's no coincidence that his few good movies -- Alien, Blade Runner and The Duellists -- have all of them.
Naw, he's actually quite good at telling the stories too, and he gets fairly solid performances out of most of his actors, we aren't talking Uwe Boll or George Lucas here.

He just doesn't care to put his own spin on any given story, nor does he particularly care to dig into it and explore concepts past a surface level. A point of view? I guess that's it. Other than the point of view that "this looks beautiful!"

I just wish somebody would throw him a solid script again. This might be one for all I know.
Old 06-10-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
Naw, he's actually quite good at telling the stories too, and he gets fairly solid performances out of most of his actors, we aren't talking Uwe Boll or George Lucas here.
It all depends on the script and how good the actors are. In Kingdom of Heaven Jeremy Irons, Edward Norton & Liam Neeson were good. Now Orlando Bloom, I wished that I could punch him through the tv screen. The acting in Prometheus was also a mixed bag.
Old 06-10-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The movie's been moved from a Thanksgiving release to an October 2nd release. I'm sure the studio will say its because it's so good they wanted to get it to audiences sooner, but we all know that's a bad signal about what the suits at Fox think about it.

It's switching places with the new Frankenstein movie, which won't be out until AFTER Halloween now, which probably tells you what Fox thinks of that movie, as well.
Old 06-10-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

The movie's been moved from a Thanksgiving release to an October 2nd release. I'm sure the studio will say its because it's so good they wanted to get it to audiences sooner, but we all know that's a bad signal about what the suits at Fox think about it.

It's switching places with the new Frankenstein movie, which won't be out until AFTER Halloween now, which probably tells you what Fox thinks of that movie, as well.
Nah, October is still a common month for award winning pictures to be released. In fact, the last 3 best picture winners came out in October (Argo, 12 Years A Slave, and last year's Birdman).
Old 06-12-15, 10:39 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TNu0Ei9y-Ko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Better source material, better screenwriter, better cast.

It means they're smart enough to not try to go up against "Mockingjay Part 2" on a holiday weekend when people are looking for something lighter.

If Fox had moved it to January or February, THAT would have been a bad sign.
Old 06-12-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it got moved to September or January/Feb that's a bad sign. October is fine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.