Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats your favorite Batman movie that received a theatrical release?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Your favorite Batman movie that received a theatrical release?
Batman: The Movie
4.81%
Batman
18.27%
Batman Returns
4.81%
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
3.85%
Batman Forever
0.96%
Batman & Robin
0.96%
Batman Begins
22.12%
The Dark Knight
43.27%
The Dark Knight Rises
0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Whats your favorite Batman movie that received a theatrical release?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Whats your favorite Batman movie that received a theatrical release?

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
The police were being delivered supplies, and I'd cry foul louder if they emerged with weapons that the terrorists didn't apprehend.
Bingo. The cops were trapped and it seems logical that they would tell them to turn in their weapons in order to get food and other supplies.
Old 05-22-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
Yeah. For me, it wasn't a case of picking apart a movie I didn't like. The pacing and illogic is why I didn't like the film.
But you liked The Dark Knight?
Old 05-22-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Also, how the heck did this guy get up into that tower?

Is he "The Other" mentioned by Yoda? Did he do a massive Force jump to get up there?

That tower probably has a hydraulic lift.
Old 05-22-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
The police were being delivered supplies, and I'd cry foul louder if they emerged with weapons that the terrorists didn't apprehend.
Shame that the film was too busy showing Michael Caine sobbing to adress little things like that.

I think that whole subplot would have worked better if Bane had gotten Matthew Modine to order the police to surrender after a couple of days. Give up their badges and guns and slink home in defeat. It would have been truer to Bane's supposed "break Gotham" agenda, and it would have provided a reason for Modine to be needed to be seen at the insurrection in full dress blues.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Sure. The rest of the movie was entertaining enough that I wasn't distracted by any plot holes or illogic.

When I say pacing, by the way, I mean a sense of time passing within the film. As I said, the whole thing flows like a fever dream, and bits like the cops turning up fully coiffed and pressed after supposedly spending three months in a hole adds to that effect.
Old 05-22-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think lousy is an overstatement. To me it's ridiculous that people hate that film so much and act like Batman Begins or The Dark Knight are so much better. All the films have their flaws but for some reason more people are willing to overlook the flaws of the first two films but when it comes to The Dark Knight Rises people just pick it apart for all its worth.
I think the biggest problem with DKR is that it didn't live up to it's own ambitions. There are a lot of weighty ideas at play in that movie and I just don't think the film delivered on most of them. It's perfectly entertaining, but mostly feels like a missed opportunity to me.

It's been a while since I've watched it, but here's a couple of things that stuck with me:

- I loved the idea of a physically broken down Bruce Wayne. There are so many interesting directions they could have gone with that, but instead the whole issue is solved and then forgotten about in the course of a single scene.

- Did Bane/Talia really occupy the city for months just so that Bruce would be forced to watch the news while he was in that prison? If their goal was to blow up the city, then just blow up the city. Again, there were some interesting ideas raised with regards to the "people" taking power and making an example out of the city and the greedy politicians/1%, but really all it amounted to was a bunch of criminals looting the city.

Those are just a couple of examples, but the point is that my issues with the film go way beyond nit-picky sort of stuff. Any film can be nit-picked to death, but where DKR was lacking was in the bigger picture stuff. The potential for an all-time epic is there, but it just sort of collapses under it's own weight. That makes it much more disappointing, to me, than some piece of disposable crap like Batman and Robin, even if it's still a way better movie.
Old 05-22-14, 02:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Are you suggesting that TDKR is as good as TDK, or that people should be as up in arms over the problems with TDK as they are with TDKR? The fact is, TDK is a better movie. It's not a perfect movie, but the flaws aren't anywhere near as apparent as in TDKR. The flaws take me out of TDKR, they didn't with TDK. Simple as that.
Old 05-22-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did Bane/Talia really occupy the city for months just so that Bruce would be forced to watch the news while he was in that prison? If their goal was to blow up the city, then just blow up the city. Again, there were some interesting ideas raised with regards to the "people" taking power and making an example out of the city and the greedy politicians/1%, but really all it amounted to was a bunch of criminals looting the city.
Their goal was to have Bruce gradually watch helpless from his bed and torture him with the knowledge that he can't do anything. Taking him to the prison and blowing up the city didn't torture him enough.
Old 05-22-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by robin2099
Their goal was to have Bruce gradually watch helpless from his bed and torture him with the knowledge that he can't do anything. Taking him to the prison and blowing up the city didn't torture him enough.
I get all that. I just think it's absurd. It's in direct conflict with their other main goal, which was to raze Gotham. It also completely takes the air out any of the interesting political/philosophical ideas raised by Bane's "revolution" and Gotham's isolation from the rest of the world. In fact, everything about Bane was rendered meaningless by the twist in the last act. There were so many rich possibilities with that storyline and it ended up going nowhere.
Old 05-22-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Bane's goal is pretty absurd but still not as dumb as the Joker's.
Old 05-22-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
It's been a while since I've watched it, but here's a couple of things that stuck with me:

- I loved the idea of a physically broken down Bruce Wayne. There are so many interesting directions they could have gone with that, but instead the whole issue is solved and then forgotten about in the course of a single scene.

- Did Bane/Talia really occupy the city for months just so that Bruce would be forced to watch the news while he was in that prison? If their goal was to blow up the city, then just blow up the city. Again, there were some interesting ideas raised with regards to the "people" taking power and making an example out of the city and the greedy politicians/1%, but really all it amounted to was a bunch of criminals looting the city.
I guess I don't agree. There's only so much that can be done in a two and a half hour film and I feel like what was shown was enough to get the point across. We saw him make his return, watched him fall, watched him struggle to get back to fighting shape, and eventually get back to Gotham to take down Bane. The main points for me worked well enough in regards to a "broken" Batman within the constraints of the film.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I get all that. I just think it's absurd. It's in direct conflict with their other main goal, which was to raze Gotham. It also completely takes the air out any of the interesting political/philosophical ideas raised by Bane's "revolution" and Gotham's isolation from the rest of the world. In fact, everything about Bane was rendered meaningless by the twist in the last act. There were so many rich possibilities with that storyline and it ended up going nowhere.
I don't really think Bane was rendered meaningless. He was still a powerful force to be reckoned with and the voice that Talia needed to get her message across. Even if it wasn't exactly him leading the revolution or whatever it doesn't matter all that much as he obviously had some beliefs in what Talia was trying to accomplish and was an integral part of her plan.
Old 05-22-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Are you suggesting that TDKR is as good as TDK, or that people should be as up in arms over the problems with TDK as they are with TDKR? The fact is, TDK is a better movie. It's not a perfect movie, but the flaws aren't anywhere near as apparent as in TDKR. The flaws take me out of TDKR, they didn't with TDK. Simple as that.
Yeah I agree with everyone critiques on TDKR it's plot holes are on a much bigger scale than in the previous films. But luckily for me I was not taken out of the film because of it's shortcomings.
Old 05-23-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't really think Bane was rendered meaningless. He was still a powerful force to be reckoned with and the voice that Talia needed to get her message across. Even if it wasn't exactly him leading the revolution or whatever it doesn't matter all that much as he obviously had some beliefs in what Talia was trying to accomplish and was an integral part of her plan.
Yah, but my point is that it turned out that Talia's primary objective was really just revenge on Batman. In a lot of ways, Bane and all of his political posturing and grandstanding were just a red herring. All of these issues were brought up, yet never dealt with in any meaningful way. You mention that they did what they could within the confines of a 2.5 hour movie. My response to that would be don't write what could or should be a 4 hour epic and they try to squeeze it into 2.5 hours. Like I mentioned before, I think the whole thing ended up collapsing under the weight of it's own ambition. The Dark Knight had similar issues, but its scope was much smaller, and the film was able to support its own weight more successfully.