Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whats your favorite Batman movie that received a theatrical release?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Your favorite Batman movie that received a theatrical release?
Batman: The Movie
4.81%
Batman
18.27%
Batman Returns
4.81%
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
3.85%
Batman Forever
0.96%
Batman & Robin
0.96%
Batman Begins
22.12%
The Dark Knight
43.27%
The Dark Knight Rises
0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Whats your favorite Batman movie that received a theatrical release?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I watched it on VHS as a kid, and I enjoyed it more than I should've. BR even when I was 8, I knew Batman: The Animated Series was better. And it's one of those rare cases where my opinion hasn't changed as I've gotten older.
Old 05-16-14, 11:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Whats your favorite Batman movie that received a theatrical release?

Originally Posted by Mike86
Pretty sure Knox is supposed to be somewhat intentionally obnoxious. Vale clearly isn't that interested in him but is doing her job. I think a lot of the stuff with The Joker holds up pretty well, even if I'm not the biggest fan of Nicholson's Joker. The museum scene (minus the Prince music) and the scene at the cathedral at the end are both awesome. Also sort of liked that we got to see Jack become The Joker. I do think the first film is flawed and has aged somewhat but overall it's an enjoyable experience I think.
The Prince music is the BEST part of that sequence.
Old 05-17-14, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I dislike Prince's music, so to me that's always been the worst part of Batman for me that stood out like a sore thumb. The movie still holds up well for me, largely because of the stylized Gotham.
Old 05-17-14, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Could not agree more. I recently rewatched this movie after several years, and wow, did it irritate me. The only scene that still holds up well is the initial Batman reveal on the rooftop with the two street thugs.

And am I the only one who wants to slap Knox every time he's on screen? The chemistry between him and Vale is non-existent. And the "witty" dialogue between him, Vale and Wayne in the armor room is cringe-inducing.

I will say someone could make an awesome drinking game out of every time Vicki Vale screams.
I don't think much of anything from the '89 Batman has held up very well except the visual design, which has set the tone for much of Batman's look since it first came out.
Old 05-17-14, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The Prince music is the BEST part of that sequence.
I'm not a fan of Prince in general to be honest.
Old 05-17-14, 02:20 AM
Banned by request

What's it like living in Bizarro world??
Old 05-17-14, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me am Batzarro, world's worst detective!

Old 05-18-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I've since decided to give ALL the movies a re-look this month. Plan to do 3 a day.
Mission completed. Of all the movies watched, Begins was clearly the most improved. This was only the 3rd time I've seen it and the last time was back in 2006. One thing's for sure, this film just seems to get a bit better and better everytime I see it.

One of my initial complaints about the movie was that it felt like I had watched a 2-hour movie that was edited down from a 5-hour miniseries. But I'm starting not to notice that anymore. The film's flow is definetly growing on me now.

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Nolan had so much story to cram in, but he still takes his time with setting up the back story and then dealing with three different villians. (four if you count Rutger's character)
^That was another of one of my initial problems. Given that it's an origin story, I originally thought that the movie was just way too overcrowded with targets for Batman to take out. But at least Ra, "Ducard" and "Decoy" all just felt like one character on this repeat viewing. Making things more simple this time around (I don't notice Rutger anymore)

BTW, I never noticed that Mr. Zsasz appears more than once in this.

And there was one thing that I didn't realize before which actually bothered me: The complete dismissal of Martha Wayne. All throughout the movie you hear nothing but "Thomas Wayne" this and "Your Father" that and "My Father" that.....And to hell with whoever that chick was that got smoked next to him

So yeah, some changes to my previous lineup now:
TDK
'89
Begins
Phantasm
Rises
Returns
Forever
'66
Robin

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-18-14 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Batman 89 is the first movie I got super hyped for. Saw the trailer in front of every movie I saw for months, waiting and waiting for the release date. I loved the movie when I finally saw it and had that shit memorized after buying the VHS.

Batman Returns was a little disappointing at first. A little darker than the first, some disturbing imagery at the time but after another watch, I appreciated it more. I like it better than Batman 89 now.

Batman Forever, I liked it at the time. It was different but kinda fun. A little less "stuffy". Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey are way too over the to for me now. But even though they are bad, I think I hate Chris O' Donnell way more. He's fucking awful.

Batman and Robin. Even though I don't think it's the worst movie ever made, it's bad.

Batman Begins was good. After a break from Batman in the movie world, they bring him back with a solid movie. I think this would be my favorite if not for...

The Dark Knight. Not just a great Batman movie but a great movie in general. Everything just pops in this movie.

The Dark Knight Rises is a lazy movie. It's well made but there's no spark in it like the previous two. Too bad because it sullies the Nolan trilogy a bit.

I've never seen Batman: The Movie so I'll have to change that. Mask of Phantasm I saw so long ago so I'll have to give it another look.
Old 05-20-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started laughing hysterically at TDK being "the dumbest movie ever made".
Old 05-21-14, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

With 94 votes in total it actually kind of blows my mind that the ONLY film with no votes is The Dark Knight Rises. The trilogy isn't great to begin with, but Dark Knight Rises was probably my favorite of the 3. That said I don't think a great Batman film has been made yet. Not a live action adaptation anyhow.
Old 05-21-14, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
With 94 votes in total it actually kind of blows my mind that the ONLY film with no votes is The Dark Knight Rises. The trilogy isn't great to begin with, but Dark Knight Rises was probably my favorite of the 3. That said I don't think a great Batman film has been made yet. Not a live action adaptation anyhow.

Batman Begins is the best Batman film.
Old 05-21-14, 01:30 AM
Banned by request

With 94 votes in total it actually kind of blows my mind that the ONLY film with no votes is The Dark Knight Rises.
Actually that makes me really happy.
Old 05-21-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
Batman 89 is the first movie I got super hyped for. Saw the trailer in front of every movie I saw for months, waiting and waiting for the release date. I loved the movie when I finally saw it and had that shit memorized after buying the VHS.

Batman Returns was a little disappointing at first. A little darker than the first, some disturbing imagery at the time but after another watch, I appreciated it more. I like it better than Batman 89 now.
I saw Batman 89 twice at the movie theater. I still remember when the thug asked Batman "Who are you?!?" and when Batman replied "I'm Batman" everyone at the theater started to applause.

Batman Returns was a huge circus act. I didn't give two shits for penguin, in fact I found him disgusting. It was a very pretty film and the beginning soundtrack was better than Batman 89.
Old 05-21-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I don't think that The Dark Knight Rises is the best film of the trilogy or the best Batman film made, but I do think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves.
Old 05-21-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Pretty sure Knox is supposed to be somewhat intentionally obnoxious.
Of course he is. But it's possible to write an obnoxious character who's also somewhat likeable. Knox isn't likeable at all. He's so full of himself I want to punch him in the throat every time he's on screen.

Vale clearly isn't that interested in him but is doing her job.
True, but as written, I think she's supposed to be romantically uninterested but still make quick friends with him. I don't even buy them as friends.
Old 05-21-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I don't think that The Dark Knight Rises is the best film of the trilogy or the best Batman film made, but I do think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves.
It suffers from Return of the Jedi syndrome. Expectations for it were so high after two stellar prior entries, anything short of Godfather 2 was going to disappoint for the third Nolan movie. It didn't help that Nolan cobbled together too much plot for a superhero movie and took Batman out of the equation for long stretches. He certainly wasn't trying to please fans with it.
Old 05-21-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-21-14, 02:52 PM
Banned by request

I think it gets a lot more praise than it deserves.
Old 05-21-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think it gets a lot more praise than it deserves.
Thought I remember you rating it pretty highly after initially seeing it.
Old 05-21-14, 02:59 PM
Banned by request

I did initially, then reconsidered.
Old 05-21-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It suffers from Return of the Jedi syndrome. Expectations for it were so high after two stellar prior entries, anything short of Godfather 2 was going to disappoint for the third Nolan movie. It didn't help that Nolan cobbled together too much plot for a superhero movie and took Batman out of the equation for long stretches. He certainly wasn't trying to please fans with it.
Even an Ewok wouldn't wait until they got 3000 feet in the air to take the hoods off of the terrorist who showed up all of a sudden.
Old 05-21-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

The Lego Movie
Old 05-21-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I did initially, then reconsidered.
Ah. I did the same upon my second screening, but obviously not to a point that ignored its positive attributes.
Old 05-21-14, 03:15 PM
Banned by request

It's a good looking movie with good actors playing dumb characters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.