Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
6.30%
15.75%
32.28%
19.69%
11.02%
6.30%
3.15%
0%
2.36%
0.79%
1.57%
Go home Gojira!
0.79%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Old 05-28-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
He's fucked the occasional woman, used gadgets, had his drink, said his famous line, etc.

I hope they never go back to the (what eventually turned into) cheese of Bond.
Old 05-28-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People love their formula, man. No matter how much they bitch and whine about "there's no creativity left in Hollywood", the second you take it away... uproar.
Old 05-28-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah yes, that ageless paradox.
Old 05-31-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
I like your thinking on part of this. Definitely the part of the fact that the eggs probably absorbed a good or who knows almost all of the radiation that was in the bomb. However to suggest that Godzilla absorbed radiation from it and that is how he woke back up. That one is a stretch IMO. Especially when you use the example of the fact that the MUTO absorbed the radiation around the city of the nuclear reactor site. That happened over a period of years, well over a decade.
Earth's atmosphere allowed the face huggers to lay eggs and gestate quicker than they did for the last 40 years in space. Damnit, wrong movie.

How about this: Godzilla, being the alpha "predator" (still don't know why he didn't eat if he is a predator), is able to absorb radiation quicker because he has evolved the "plates" that run down his back and tail (like a dimetrodon's "sail" absorbed heat). This also explains why they light up before he does the fire-breath.
Old 05-31-14, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I don't get the love for "slow reveal" when it comes to a Godzilla film. We've been seeing Godzilla films (in the U.S. at least) for 58 years. We know what he looks like. We go to a Godzilla film because we want to see him do Godzilla stuff. If we don't see enough of it, we get upset. That's what's happening here. Or was the film made strictly for people who've never seen a Godzilla film before? That's the impression I got.

It's like rebooting Dracula and waiting till the end for Dracula to open his mouth to reveal his fangs and sink his teeth into someone's neck and expecting the audience to "ooh" and "ahhh" over the big "surprise." Or casting a new actor to play James Bond and waiting till the end before he announces himself as "Bond, James Bond," and expecting the audience to break out into applause. No, when Daniel Craig took the role, audiences expected him to do Bond stuff right from the start of the movie!
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I feel the exact opposite. We've seen Godzilla destroy cities, we've seen him do his radioactive breath, you show that early in the movie and keep showing it over and over and it gets boring and repetitive. This movie built up anticipation and suspense and I thought it really worked. When the money shot moments happened I was giddy because the movie treated them as something special. Godzilla's fighting the monsters and he starts to get his ass kicked, then his spine lit up blue I was like "he's about to do the radioactive breath!" and then he did and I wanted to cheer. The movie had several amazing moments for me where I felt like a kid, I'm glad the director approached the movie this way instead of just doing what we've seen before. There are 28 cheesy Godzilla movies that follow a strict formula, this was the first Godzilla movie that I would call a good film since the original.
I'm stuck between both extremes. The slow build up is good and does create anticipation. However, once Godzilla finally shows up, don't pull a Step Up Revolution and show me people watching what I paid to see. The moment Godzilla shows up, the humans are canon fodder and have become completely irrelevant. I don't give a damn about their reactions to huge monsters tearing shit up. I want to actually see huge monsters tearing shit up.
Old 05-31-14, 05:32 AM

I've seen this movie twice now and I love it. I grew up on 70s and 80s popcorn movies, and this feels like it belongs in that era. The monster, robot, alien, etc. was always teased for most of the movie, but seeing it in its full glory was a treat saved for the climax. Off the top of my head, there's Jaws, Alien, Aliens (the queen), Close Encounters, Terminator, The Howling, American Werewolf in London. But the reveal of Godzilla in this film most closely follows the pattern in Predator (one of my favorite movies). And yes, we've seen Godzilla before, but not this version of Godzilla.

As for those who say they like the 1998 version better, I rewatched it last night to try to remember why I hated it so much. The movie has tons of issues, but I hate it for one reason: I got bored of the endless shots of Godzilla's feet. All he does for two hours is chase things or run from them. They did nothing else with him. This movie has tons of Godzilla footage and every time I watch it, I start checking my watch about 40 minutes in.
Old 05-31-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the overall way the monsters were set up (Godzilla almost entirely being focused on destroying the Muto monsters) reminded me of the setup of the 1990s Gamera trilogy, in which Gamera was the defender of the Earth against monsters that arose and threatened it (those monsters were called "Gyaos" in the 1st Gamera film).

[ Link to the point in the 1st Gamera film where this was explained (dubbed version) ]
[just watch a couple of minutes of this scene to get the gist of the setup]

In both, Godzilla and Gamera did not care at all about humans, just defeating the other monsters. The main difference was that Gamera was genetically engineered as the Earth's defender by a long-gone ancient civilization and Godzilla seems to have arose on his own somehow.
Old 05-31-14, 01:31 PM
Cool New Member

Godzilla captures both the spirit of the original and the devastating scope of what happens when a pissed off, 350-foot tall, radioactive monster puts his foot down, literally and figuratively.

TOTALinformer.com - Godzilla >>
Old 06-02-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Saw this last night. Loved it!

I saw all the Godzilla flicks when I was younger, so I have a certain fondness for the cheesy ones. But this made Godzilla legitimate to a whole new generation.

The slow burn was totally worth it...I was on the edge of my seat wait for Godzilla to arrive. And when he did, I got sucked right in. Are there moments of cheese, yes. But overall, this is exactly what I wanted.

I also agree with my fellow commentators in the 3D, one of the better ones I have seen so far. Really look forward to watching this again at home in the not to distant future.
Old 06-03-14, 01:20 AM
Banned

Finally watched this tonight. The people claiming that they actually prefer the Matthew Broderick movie to this are so full of shit that it's forcing its way out their goddamn ear cavities.

--
Old 06-03-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw it again last night and loved it just as much as the other times. Yes I wish there was more Godzilla but it does not take the love I have for this movie. I love the build up every time a monster is on screen. Every time Edwards takes his time and introduces the monster into the scene wonderfully. I loved the whole Hawaii sequence. Such an awesome build up with some fantastic music.
Old 06-06-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Giant mural of Big G unveiled in Japan, with Gareth present.

http://xombiedirge.com/post/87902804...y-masao-hanawa

Old 06-06-14, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EctoCooler View Post
Finally watched this tonight. The people claiming that they actually prefer the Matthew Broderick movie to this are so full of shit that it's forcing its way out their goddamn ear cavities.

--
Not really. I wanted a movie where Godzilla was the main attraction rather than a special guest appearance.

And that's not to say that the Broderick version is classy or anything. It was pure cheese.
Old 06-06-14, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
Giant mural of Big G unveiled in Japan, with Gareth present.

http://xombiedirge.com/post/87902804...y-masao-hanawa

Love Heisei G.
Old 06-06-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EctoCooler View Post
Sadly, when all is said and done at the box office, I've read that the Broderick version will have actually sold more tickets than this new version - although this new version is already about to pass the Broderick one in worldwide box office.
Old 06-06-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Not really. I wanted a movie where Godzilla was the main attraction rather than a special guest appearance.
I have seen it twice and he still feels like the main attraction. There are many movies (Jaws, Alien, Nightmare on Elm Street) where the main attraction has little actual screentime but WHEN they are on the screen, their impact is the greatest and most memorable.
Old 06-06-14, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Sadly, when all is said and done at the box office, I've read that the Broderick version will have actually sold more tickets than this new version - although this new version is already about to pass the Broderick one in worldwide box office.
Tickets sold is a pretty meaningless statistic to any studio.
Old 06-06-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I have seen it twice and he still feels like the main attraction. There are many movies (Jaws, Alien, Nightmare on Elm Street) where the main attraction has little actual screentime but WHEN they are on the screen, their impact is the greatest and most memorable.
Old 06-06-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't have problems with Godzilla's screentime so much; it's just that when he was offscreen, there wasn't enough compelling content to make the wait worthwhile. The movie just went dramatically limp after the first act, and never recovered.

And yes, you can say "But all Godzilla movies are like that!!" and you'd be somewhat wrong, but letting go of that for a second here was an opportunity to make something BETTER, more substantial, more compelling while not sacrificing any of the classic Godzilla/kaiju/monster movie tropes... and they blew it.
Old 06-06-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
And "The Silence of the Lambs." Anthony Hopkins is only on screen for 15 minutes but he completely takes over the movie as Lecter. Some people pointed out at the time that he should be up for Best Supporting Actor, because that's what he was. Scott Glenn, as Jack Crawford, was the leading man, but he was blown off the screen by Hopkins.
Old 06-06-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And "The Silence of the Lambs." Anthony Hopkins is only on screen for 15 minutes but he completely takes over the movie as Lecter. Some people pointed out at the time that he should be up for Best Supporting Actor, because that's what he was. Scott Glenn, as Jack Crawford, was the leading man, but he was blown off the screen by Hopkins.
Yeah, but the parts where Lecter wasn't onscreen were still exciting and compelling, mostly carried by Foster as Starling, the film's protagonist. And there were plenty of other fine actors/characters on hand. You can't say that about GODZILLA.
Old 06-06-14, 10:57 AM

But in those 15 minutes, Hopkins delivers a lot of lines. No way I'd call him a supporting actor. Glenn wasn't a lead to me.
Old 06-06-14, 10:58 AM

Yeah, but the parts where Lecter wasn't onscreen were still exciting and compelling, mostly carried by Foster as Starling, the film's protagonist. And there were plenty of other fine actors/characters on hand. You can't say that about GODZILLA.
Or Pokιmon
Old 06-06-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I see you didn't give Godzilla a rating in the poll. I am curious what score you would give it.
Old 06-06-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The human element was above average for a disaster movie, it was better than most of the Godzilla movies, and a step up from Edwards' previous film: Monsters. It was fine.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.