Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
6.20%
15.50%
32.56%
20.16%
10.85%
6.20%
3.10%
0%
2.33%
0.78%
1.55%
Go home Gojira!
0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Traxan
GODZILLA & JURASSIC PARK TRAILERS COLLIDE

Do movie trailers for summer blockbuster movies featuring giant reptiles share a formula?

Judging by this glorious creation, which overlays the audio track from the latest Godzilla trailer atop footage audiences were once teased with for Jurassic Park, it ostensibly seems the case.

Everything from echoed thuds, nerve-grating roar, biological research and even the use of flares has been shrewdly matched by video editor Zach Prewitt, serving to highlight the eerily similar money shots the two blockbusters share.

If you've a cup of water nearby, you may want to turn your speakers down...

That doesn't quite work. Maybe if that same audio played over the SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE trailer?
Old 05-19-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
None of this is in 'Ghost in the Shell,' except maybe Aramaki in the Wise Old Man role.
But again, I said:

I swear, Japanese Sci Fi/Anime has followed this same stupid formula for 60 years with just minor variations on the theme.
So yeah, some will be different. But most are very close to that theme especially older stuff.
Old 05-19-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Someone on reddit used a stopwatch to determine Godzilla's total time seen on screen. It was 10 minutes and 46 seconds, give or take a minute. That's about on par with his time in Final Wars and some other entries.
Pretty much on what Gareth did on his first movie Monsters. Movie was pure crap. I feel I was watching a talkie/roadie movie instead of sci-fi flick. The monsters at the end wasn't real that great. Haven't seen Godzilla yet but I'm hoping it be much better than that Monsters turd flick.
Old 05-20-14, 09:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I didn't LOVE the movie, but I enjoyed it. I'm easy to please, though. Even though the fights and destruction scenes were short, I was entertained. They teased us a few too many times with doors closing, or power going out or whatever, but I kind of expected that going in.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not sure which version they used but I just now pulled out the Criterion Blu-ray of Godzilla and a stopwatch. I counted anytime that a body part showed up on screen as part of his total screen time. If all you saw was atomic breath, it did not count. Here's what I came up with:

First appearance occurs at the 22 min point.

At the 44 min point, total screen time is 10 seconds.
At the 54 min point, total screen time is 1 min 45 sec.
At the 1 hour point, total screen time is 4 min 13 sec.

Total movie time 1 hr 36 min. Total screen time 8 min 55 sec.
Thanks for this. I ended up buying the Criterion disc last night, so hopefully I can watch it soon.
Old 05-20-14, 09:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I didn't LOVE the movie, but I enjoyed it. I'm easy to please, though. Even though the fights and destruction scenes were short, I was entertained. They teased us a few too many times with doors closing, or power going out or whatever, but I kind of expected that going in.

Thanks for this. I ended up buying the Criterion disc last night, so hopefully I can watch it soon.
what isn't on the Criterion disc but worth trying to see if it's online somewhere is the 'The Making of the Godzilla Suit' on the DVD deluxe edition from Classic Media; as well as 'Bringing Godzilla Down to Size: The Art of Japanese Special Effects' on the Rodan DVD special edition.
Old 05-20-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
The movie looks great. It's nice that they included the American version. It's amusing to watch how they edited in Raymond Burr.
Old 05-20-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie looks great. It's nice that they included the American version. It's amusing to watch how they edited in Raymond Burr.
I've seen both versions many times over the years, but I found it very instructive to watch them back-to-back. It gave me new appreciation for the Raymond Burr version, which is how so many of us Baby Boomers first experienced Japan on film.
Old 05-20-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I love the Criterion disc as well and am glad that the Raymond Burr version was included and nicely remastered as well.
Old 05-20-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've always thought that as far as "Americanizations" go, GKM was definitely one of the better ones. It's handled in a very respectful and classy way, actually at least tries to logically incorporate Martin into the narrative in a way which makes sense, and tries to use as much of the original dialogue as possible. Yes, once you've seen the original, the changes definitely stick out, but compared to man other hack-jobs like what happened to KKVG, I think it's pretty good in its own right. Even the body doubles and stuff, though obvious, indicate that the whole thing was done fairly intelligently, IMO.
Old 05-20-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I still have to ask...other than G-54... when has the human story in a G-film ever been all that great? Even in G54 the story was standard generic Japanese Drama. It followed this typical formula:

-Dark Tortured Misunderstood Scientist with a huge secret
-Handsome Naive Young Hero
-Weak Virginal Emotional Female
-Wise Old Man

I swear, Japanese Sci Fi/Anime has followed this same stupid formula for 60 years with just minor variations on the theme. I've been complaining about this overused formula since the 80's when I figured it out as a teen.

I'm not saying the beefs some on you have with G2014's Human story isn't legit, but I do think it's a bit unfair.
Tekkonkinkreet says konnichiwa.
Old 05-20-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

A movie has to stand on its own somewhat, and not be compared to how the 1954 Godzilla did the exact same thing with not revealing Godzilla or that they're just setting up for a better sequel. This is where 2014 Godzilla fails - on its own it's a slow, inept tease of a movie, IMHO. The '54 Godzilla may have had a similar arc but it's a much better movie that stood the test of time.
Old 05-20-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So what happened to Akira Takarada's cameo?

Well, here's the answer:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ut-due-to-time
Old 05-20-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

How long was his scene? They could've easily cut the scene in the car when Cranston's character realizes it's his birthday and Binoche's gets goofy with him. It felt oddly overacted.That's disappointing he didn't make the cut. If they come out with a longer cut he better be in it.
Old 05-20-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

To use the excuse "What do you expect? It's a Godzilla movie!!" is basically acknowledging the movie's moments of ineptitude and then casually dismissing them. It'd be like accepting every crappy pre-X-Men or pre-Blade superhero flick by saying "What do you expect? It's a comic book movie!!" In other words, doing nothing to improve or evolve beyond formulaic mediocrity that's to be expected of them.

I still gave the movie 5.5 out of 10 because I enjoyed the monster scenes in spite of the film's numerous flaws, but in the end it's a Nothing Special movie. It restrained itself to the self-imposed limitations of the genre, instead of trying to branch out as something better. Imagine how comic book movies would have come along if the filmmakers behind the first X-Men movie took their creative cues from the Joel Schumacher Batman movies... because hey, "it's just comic books".

I guess my expectations were way too high, but I really believed Gareth Edwards was gonna knock this one out of the park.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-20-14 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went again last night.

Still really enjoyed the second time around. The first act and third act are quite solid - second act could have been improved on a little bit, not bad - just not quite as good as others. LOVE Desplat's score, especially the theme of the movie.

New nitpick.
Spoiler:
Why are all the cars just sitting on the Golden Gate bridge with no one moving for any reason? Looks like cops had over half the bridge closed off when they were trying to evacuate the city.
Old 05-20-14, 09:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

^^
They were trying to bring in the military from the other side. Tanks and such.
Old 05-20-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I kept thinking that either. Didn't realize she was a sister. She was the only redeeming quality of the movie other than the cool factor of Walter White.

I weep for humanity. This was such a turd. If this passes for entertainment, our species should just give up.

I assume the sign was placed in front of a movie theater as a warning to moviegoers.

No shit. They evolved it in case there was ever a day that electrical devices might be used to stop them. What a turd.
Deadline said this was done by WB.
Old 05-21-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning to cut out of work early today and go see this. 3 showing this afternoon i can make, the most convenient is an Imax 3d showing, but i generally stay away from 3D because it gives me a headache I did see Pacific Rim and Gravity in 3D, both didn't bother me, but When i saw the Hobbit in 3D I hated it and had a huge headache.

I know others have experienced the same type stuff, any recommendations for those who have seen either?
Old 05-21-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I'm planning to cut out of work early today and go see this. 3 showing this afternoon i can make, the most convenient is an Imax 3d showing, but i generally stay away from 3D because it gives me a headache I did see Pacific Rim and Gravity in 3D, both didn't bother me, but When i saw the Hobbit in 3D I hated it and had a huge headache.

I know others have experienced the same type stuff, any recommendations for those who have seen either?
You are in luck. You can see this in 2D and still get the same headache. It is that bad.
Old 05-21-14, 10:30 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

The Cinemark XD screen is saw it on used RealD 3D or whatever it's called. The 3D was actually pretty subtle and didn't bother me one bit
Old 05-21-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

To use the excuse "What do you expect? It's a Godzilla movie!!" is basically acknowledging the movie's moments of ineptitude and then casually dismissing them. It'd be like accepting every crappy pre-X-Men or pre-Blade superhero flick by saying "What do you expect? It's a comic book movie!!" In other words, doing nothing to improve or evolve beyond formulaic mediocrity that's to be expected of them.
Correctamundo!
Old 05-21-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They could've easily cut the scene in the car when Cranston's character realizes it's his birthday and Binoche's gets goofy with him. It felt oddly overacted..
Hey!!! My good Man, that was a thing called "Character Development". It makes the Humans more human so you can really hurt when they die.
Old 05-21-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ivelostr2

This film looks good in 3D but it's not one of those 3D films that has shit flying in your face as a deliberate gag. It also doesn't have a lot of thrill ride types of scenes that a 3 D film might do for effect. I would say the 3d style is similar to Pacific Rim but taken down a notch. You'll probably be ok.
Old 05-21-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Cow
^^
They were trying to bring in the military from the other side. Tanks and such.
Yeah plus having people jammed on a bridge as danger approaches is pretty standard fair these days. Pacific Rim, X3, and so on...
Old 05-21-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...o-heroine.html

Godzilla featured a heroine at its centre before the role was excised in favour of Aaron Taylor-Johnson’s brooding hero, the director has disclosed.

The action epic stars Taylor-Johnson as a bomb disposal expert out to save the world, and Bryan Cranston as his scientist father.

Women are notable by their absence from leading roles. Actresses Juliette Binoche and Elizabeth Olsen appear in the cast as either wives or assistants, and their portrayal has come in for criticism – Indiewire noted that “the most frustrating aspect of the uninspired cast is a strange neglect of the story’s female characters”.

Sally Hawkins, Oscar-nominated earlier this year for Blue Jasmine, is required to “express worry when the camera calls for it” and little more.

The Hollywood Reporter referred to Olsen’s “thankless role” as Taylor-Johnson’s wife, while Empire’s critic wrote that “a criminally under-utilised Elizabeth Olsen is a wife-mother-nurse permanently stuck on the end of a phone”.

It could all have been different, according to director Gareth Edwards, who conceded that women play secondary roles in the film.

“We had a version of the screenplay that had a heroine in the film,” Edwards disclosed at a press conference in London.

“But you’ve got to pick a hero and we ended up with a male, and then everything supports the hero in some way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.