Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
6.20%
15.50%
32.56%
20.16%
10.85%
6.20%
3.10%
0%
2.33%
0.78%
1.55%
Go home Gojira!
0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

fucking awesome movie... i mean this movie is about a monster fighting other monsters based off a movie franchise with a guy playing the lead character in a rubber suit...

with that said, the only thing i will be upset with is a sequel.... this should be it. I mean if this is meant to be how modern time godzilla would be in a real world setting, than there should be king ghidoroh or any other monsters come in. it would be really cheesy.

still awesome movie and great special effects
Old 05-19-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of my problems with the flick have already been stated, so I'll throw out a dumb complaint. So these monsters are ancient, right? Then why is the MUTO's Eff-off move an EMP? Did I miss something?
Old 05-19-14, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think more fan favorite Kaiju could work in a more naturalistic setting.
Old 05-19-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

This hasn't really been brought up yet, but did anyone else have a problem with the complete lack of 'joy' this movie has...there's no humor and virtually no sense of fun throughout. It's as if the filmmakers were so afraid of coming off as 'campy' that they didn't allow any jokes at all in their movie.

However, when you look back at really great 'monster' movies like JURASSIC PARK or JAWS or even ALIEN (which is pretty 'dark'), those movies are filled with great one-liners and jokes. They serve to connect the audience with the characters and the story - there's no such thing in GODZILLA, which is one of the reason the humans come off as 'flat'.
Old 05-19-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This hasn't really been brought up yet, but did anyone else have a problem with the complete lack of 'joy' this movie has...there's no humor and virtually no sense of fun throughout. It's as if the filmmakers were so afraid of coming off as 'campy' that they didn't allow any jokes at all in their movie.

However, when you look back at really great 'monster' movies like JURASSIC PARK or JAWS, those movies are filled with great one-liners and jokes. They serve to connect the audience with the characters and the story - there's no such thing in GODZILLA, which is one of the reason the humans come off as 'flat'.
This is why the Transformers films worked so well (at least #1 & #3)--because of their sense of humor. You need laughs to break up the tension.
Old 05-19-14, 12:24 PM
Banned

Have you seen this yet, Ash?

There was some humor in it but it was a serious film. I liked that.
Old 05-19-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I've read elsewhere he got about 17 minutes of screen time in the original 1954 film (and that movie is a half-hour shorter than the new one), so 60 years of special effects advancements later, he gets about half as much screen time.
Not sure which version they used but I just now pulled out the Criterion Blu-ray of Godzilla and a stopwatch. I counted anytime that a body part showed up on screen as part of his total screen time. If all you saw was atomic breath, it did not count. Here's what I came up with:

First appearance occurs at the 22 min point.

At the 44 min point, total screen time is 10 seconds.
At the 54 min point, total screen time is 1 min 45 sec.
At the 1 hour point, total screen time is 4 min 13 sec.

Total movie time 1 hr 36 min. Total screen time 8 min 55 sec.
Old 05-19-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

WTF is this, why are my posts being deleted?
Old 05-19-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

However, when you look back at really great 'monster' movies like JURASSIC PARK or JAWS or even ALIEN (which is pretty 'dark'), those movies are filled with great one-liners and jokes. They serve to connect the audience with the characters and the story - there's no such thing in GODZILLA, which is one of the reason the humans come off as 'flat'.
Since I enjoyed the human story, I didn't have a problem with it but I do agree that some lighter moments might have made the film better. Not necessarily jokes but moments like in Jaws where Brody's son is mimicking him or Quint telling the story of the USS Indianapolis. Having read the prequel novel, I would have liked Serizawa to tell the story of his father, who played a big part in the story back in 1954.
Old 05-19-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
The first time I saw Elizabeth Olsen appear in a movie a few years ago, I was wondering if she was somehow related to the Olsen twins because she looked a lot like them. I had no idea they had a younger sister because she kind of came out of nowhere and is a lot better at acting than the both of them combined.
I kept thinking that either. Didn't realize she was a sister. She was the only redeeming quality of the movie other than the cool factor of Walter White.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Who woulda thought Dave would be all alone giving the movie 0 stars.
I weep for humanity. This was such a turd. If this passes for entertainment, our species should just give up.
Originally Posted by Traxan
Hahahaha!

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...dzilla-attack/

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A prankster is getting points for creativity after hacking an electronic traffic sign in San Francisco warning of a “Godzilla Attack.”

The sign was spotted on Van Ness Avenue Wednesday night, reading ‘Godzilla Attack – Turn Back.”

The mobile sign was supposed to be warning drivers about traffic delays during Sunday’s Bay to Breakers foot race.

The sign has since been fixed.

I assume the sign was placed in front of a movie theater as a warning to moviegoers.

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Most of my problems with the flick have already been stated, so I'll throw out a dumb complaint. So these monsters are ancient, right? Then why is the MUTO's Eff-off move an EMP? Did I miss something?
No shit. They evolved it in case there was ever a day that electrical devices might be used to stop them. What a turd.
Old 05-19-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
This is why the Transformers films worked so well (at least #1 & #3)--because of their sense of humor. You need laughs to break up the tension.
The horrid humor in those Transformers are a big reason why they suck!
Old 05-19-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

What? Jive-talkin' ghetto-fabulous gold-toothed ramrod-schwartzing transforming robots aren't hip and what the young kids enjoy these days, what with their Beatle wigs and pet rocks and parachute pants?
Old 05-19-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought this film was hugely dissapointing. Once Walter was gone, it did not recover, and the title monster was literally a cameo in its own film. It was cinematically non-compelling.

Last edited by mike7162; 05-19-14 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mike7162
I thought this film was hugely dissapointing. Once Walter was gone, it did not recover, and the title monster was literally a cameo in its own film.
Not exactly.

Not sure which version they used but I just now pulled out the Criterion Blu-ray of Godzilla and a stopwatch. I counted anytime that a body part showed up on screen as part of his total screen time. If all you saw was atomic breath, it did not count. Here's what I came up with:

First appearance occurs at the 22 min point.

At the 44 min point, total screen time is 10 seconds.
At the 54 min point, total screen time is 1 min 45 sec.
At the 1 hour point, total screen time is 4 min 13 sec.

Total movie time 1 hr 36 min. Total screen time 8 min 55 sec.
Old 05-19-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. Now, if the EMP would scramble a living thing's electrical system...say, give heart attacks...then I could see it. In Pacific Rim, the creatures were created by modern "aliens" so EMP's made sense.

Unless....these MUTO's were created by Aliens too.
Old 05-19-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe to them it's like burping. Or coughing. To us it's an EMP.
Old 05-19-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still have to ask...other than G-54... when has the human story in a G-film ever been all that great? Even in G54 the story was standard generic Japanese Drama. It followed this typical formula:

-Dark Tortured Misunderstood Scientist with a huge secret
-Handsome Naive Young Hero
-Weak Virginal Emotional Female
-Wise Old Man

I swear, Japanese Sci Fi/Anime has followed this same stupid formula for 60 years with just minor variations on the theme. I've been complaining about this overused formula since the 80's when I figured it out as a teen.

I'm not saying the beefs some on you have with G2014's Human story isn't legit, but I do think it's a bit unfair.
Old 05-19-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

EMP's make as much sense as blue atomic breathe.
Old 05-19-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I kept thinking that either. Didn't realize she was a sister. She was the only redeeming quality of the movie other than the cool factor of Walter White.

I weep for humanity. This was such a turd. If this passes for entertainment, our species should just give up.
Oh stop. People have been enjoying marginally well done G-films for 60 years. Everyone is just fine. Plus this is actually better than most of them...especially when you factor in the better done/acted Human Factor in G14.

No shit. They evolved it in case there was ever a day that electrical devices might be used to stop them.
On this we agree. Made no sense.
Old 05-19-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Maybe to them it's like burping. Or coughing. To us it's an EMP.
I'd hate to see the result if he eats a Taco Bell.
Old 05-19-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GODZILLA & JURASSIC PARK TRAILERS COLLIDE

Do movie trailers for summer blockbuster movies featuring giant reptiles share a formula?

Judging by this glorious creation, which overlays the audio track from the latest Godzilla trailer atop footage audiences were once teased with for Jurassic Park, it ostensibly seems the case.

Everything from echoed thuds, nerve-grating roar, biological research and even the use of flares has been shrewdly matched by video editor Zach Prewitt, serving to highlight the eerily similar money shots the two blockbusters share.

If you've a cup of water nearby, you may want to turn your speakers down...

Old 05-19-14, 03:11 PM
Banned

Meh.
Old 05-19-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
The horrid humor in those Transformers are a big reason why they suck!
It would help of the jokes were actually funny.
Old 05-19-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I'd hate to see the result if he eats a Taco Bell.
It would resemble the Death Star exploding.
Old 05-19-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I still have to ask...other than G-54... when has the human story in a G-film ever been all that great? Even in G54 the story was standard generic Japanese Drama. It followed this typical formula:

-Dark Tortured Misunderstood Scientist with a huge secret
-Handsome Naive Young Hero
-Weak Virginal Emotional Female
-Wise Old Man

I swear, Japanese Sci Fi/Anime has followed this same stupid formula for 60 years with just minor variations on the theme. I've been complaining about this overused formula since the 80's when I figured it out as a teen.
None of this is in 'Ghost in the Shell,' except maybe Aramaki in the Wise Old Man role.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.