Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Saban’s Power Rangers (2017, D: Dean Israelite)

Old 09-29-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Lionsgate / Saban To Reboot Power Rangers As Movie Franchise

Too bad that article isn't legit. I actually think Chloe Grace Moretz would be a decent choice for the Pink Ranger. Michael B. Jordan would be cool as a ranger too.
Old 02-24-15, 09:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Here's a short (and very well done) film I just ran across. Very nice effects. And it has the Van Der Beek.

NSFW

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/120401488" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by dex14; 02-24-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 10:06 AM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts

That is pretty awesome. I like the approach to it. I guess I'm missing it...buy who was The Beek supposed to be?
Old 02-24-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Y,know, if you guys want to see some excellent Power Rangers action, the new season, Power Rangers Dino Charge, is currently running on Nickelodeon on Saturdays at 12 Noon (EST). Ep. #4 is airing this Saturday. It's based on the 2013 Japanese sentai series, "Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger," which is very good also.
Old 02-24-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Here's a short (and very well done) film I just ran across. Very nice effects. And it has the Van Der Beek.

NSFW

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/120401488" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
That was pretty cool!

I'm in.
Old 02-24-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a youtube version:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vw5vcUPyL90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-24-15, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that Katee Sackhoff in there? Damn. Nice casting.

Interesting that put in that Billy Cranston bit about his sexuality. Yellow Ranger's funeral.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-24-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In addition to Van Der Beek, this film stars Katee Sackhoff (rhymes with...) and features Will Yun Lee, who I last saw in THE WOLVERINE.

And it's got Carla Perez, who doubled as Rita Repulsa in later MMPR seasons after they ran out of Japanese footage of the character as originated by the great Machiko Soga.

Heavy on the KILL BILL VOL. 1 influence in the bride scene, no?

The end credits take about a quarter of the film's running time.

This short film is not listed on IMDB, though.

Questions:
Does Saban know about this film? And its use of Saban trademarked characters/names/costumes? And, more importantly, the music?

Is the director, Joseph Kahn, the same guy who directed TORQUE?
Old 02-24-15, 10:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Is that Katee Sackhoff in there?
As per the end credits, yep.

Thanks Dex14, missed calling out the video is NSFW. Not exactly for kids.
Old 02-24-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah.
Old 02-24-15, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In addition to Van Der Beek, this film stars Katee Sackhoff (rhymes with...) and features Will Yun Lee, who I last saw in THE WOLVERINE.

And it's got Carla Perez, who doubled as Rita Repulsa in later MMPR seasons after they ran out of Japanese footage of the character as originated by the great Machiko Soga.

Heavy on the KILL BILL VOL. 1 influence in the bride scene, no?

The end credits take about a quarter of the film's running time.

This short film is not listed on IMDB, though.

Questions:
Does Saban know about this film? And its use of Saban trademarked characters/names/costumes? And, more importantly, the music?

It's produced by Adi Shankar. He's part of Lionsgate. Saban knows about it for sure. If not, I'd be amazed.
Old 02-24-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt they do but I highly doubt they care. The short isn't being released commercially so they can't really do anything about it when the filmmakers aren't making money off of it.
Old 02-24-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is pretty awesome. I like the approach to it. I guess I'm missing it...buy who was The Beek supposed to be?
He was supposed to be Rocky, the Red Ranger after the original left. Just watched this and while it was shot interesting and was pretty cool, I'm just not feeling it. Unlike the similar one that was done for Mortal Kombat where you say "OK, I could sort of see this working" this was just too far out their for Power Rangers.
Old 02-24-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
He was supposed to be Rocky, the Red Ranger after the original left. Just watched this and while it was shot interesting and was pretty cool, I'm just not feeling it. Unlike the similar one that was done for Mortal Kombat where you say "OK, I could sort of see this working" this was just too far out there for Power Rangers.
The profanity and nudity were out of line, as was the wanton slaughter and bloodshed. The sacred Power Rangers ethos was trampled on. The only people who are supposed to die in Power Rangers are all those faceless masses trapped in office buildings knocked down by Zords in every episode.
Old 02-24-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's produced by Adi Shankar. He's part of Lionsgate. Saban knows about it for sure. If not, I'd be amazed.
He produced Dredd.
Old 02-24-15, 11:40 AM
Banned

I grew up with the Rangers to a point. Quitting a bit after they ran out the (first?) Ninja phase. So to me... the PR were always mediocre and I only stayed for so long cuz of the robot fighting. So looking at what I have looked at over... I don't see what "good" really is for the PR outside of what they are. It has a cool world and the whatnot but I've never seen great writing or action. Saying that... the world could be handled well and giving some type of depth or amount of grit to where shit is actually felt over having to handle melodrama to an nth degree would be good.
Old 02-24-15, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
He produced Dredd.
Oh, I know. Shankar has been part of some cool shit for me.
Old 02-24-15, 12:07 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
He was supposed to be Rocky, the Red Ranger after the original left. Just watched this and while it was shot interesting and was pretty cool, I'm just not feeling it. Unlike the similar one that was done for Mortal Kombat where you say "OK, I could sort of see this working" this was just too far out their for Power Rangers.
This was a spoof on reboots, and them having to be gritty. It was purposely too far out there with the drugs, sex, etc.
Old 02-24-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

I grew up with the Rangers to a point. Quitting a bit after they ran out the (first?) Ninja phase. So to me... the PR were always mediocre and I only stayed for so long cuz of the robot fighting. So looking at what I have looked at over... I don't see what "good" really is for the PR outside of what they are. It has a cool world and the whatnot but I've never seen great writing or action. Saying that... the world could be handled well and giving some type of depth or amount of grit to where shit is actually felt over having to handle melodrama to an nth degree would be good.
You realize these are teenagers dressing up as brightly colored superheroes fighting off an alien armada with their combining giant robot? Where the villains send in one main bad guy at a time with a bunch of troops, but never enough to overwhelm the good guys, and the good guys win with the same few moves/weapons every time? Heck, the good guys don't even protect their secret identities, and the bad guys don't seem to care. I just don't see how you turn this into something other than camp (and I'm a big Super Sentai fan; it's all camp, and it's all for grade schoolers for the sake of selling toys, just like it is here).

That having been said, I didn't know Dino Charge was already on, my daughter can't wait.
Old 02-24-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Here's a youtube version:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vw5vcUPyL90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That's pretty badass. I would gladly watch a feature length version of this.
Old 02-24-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its disheartening that this is an admitted spoof and so many people are saying "I'm in!" and that they like the approach.

Kahn is a noted Nolan hater (not that I'm stoked about falling on the same side as the guy who directed "Torque") so it doesn't surprise me that he'd make fun of gritty reboots.

In any case, I can't watch this until after work but I can't imagine its more hilarious than that Mortal Kombat webseries.
Old 02-24-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

if they make the New Rangers movie similar to Pacific Rim it'll be a hit.
Old 02-24-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Its disheartening that this is an admitted spoof and so many people are saying "I'm in!" and that they like the approach.
It's just so far out there that it works. A "correct" Power Rangers movie would be like the first one that stared Martin Freeman as Ivan Ooze. I still greatly enjoy that movie even if it is considered non-canon.

But this was so out of left field that it could definitely work as a DTV release.

My only disappointment was the fight the Black Ranger had with all of Will Yun Lee's henchmen. It was slow and plodding.
Old 02-24-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83
if they make the New Rangers movie similar to Pacific Rim it'll be a hit.
If it was made with the same genuine love for the source material, it would undoubtedly be a hit.
Old 02-24-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Kahn is a noted Nolan hater (not that I'm stoked about falling on the same side as the guy who directed "Torque") so it doesn't surprise me that he'd make fun of gritty reboots.
Had to get that jab in, of course.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.