Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Barbie (2023, D: Gerwig) -- S: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Barbie (2023, D: Gerwig) -- S: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 02:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Barbie Live Action (2015?) - News, Cast, Rumors

Originally Posted by Groucho
If they go with the tired old "Barbie somehow finds her way into OUR world" storyline, I'm out.
Wow, looks like I called it.
Old 12-02-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow, looks like I called it.
I'm more concerned you were ever "in" for this movie!
Old 12-02-16, 02:45 PM

re: Barbie (2023, D: Gerwig) -- S: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling

Old 12-02-16, 02:47 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 12-02-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that anyone would have expected this to be good, but Shumer? Christ, I can hear all of the low brow c unt/high horse feminism humor now.

And isn't Barbie supposed to be, y'know... hot?

Last edited by islandclaws; 12-02-16 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 03:20 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

For fuck's sake.
Old 03-23-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

Amy Schumer Exits 'Barbie' Movie
3:42 PM PDT 3/23/2017 by Rebecca Ford

The Sony project is currently without a director.

Amy Schumer won't play Barbie after all.

The actress has dropped out of Sony's Barbie, in which she was supposed to play the character that inspired the iconic doll.

“Sadly, I’m no longer able to commit to Barbie due to scheduling conflicts," said Schumer in a statement. "The film has so much promise, and Sony and Mattel have been great partners. I’m bummed, but look forward to seeing Barbie on the big screen.”

Schumer, who had joined the project in December, recently did a polish on the script by Hilary Winston. Schumer's schedule has become quite busy with her latest comedy Snatched coming out in May, and also joining Rebecca Miller’s She Came to Me with Steve Carell.

Mattel and producers Walter F. Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and Amy Pascal have teamed up for the project, which will try to put a contemporary spin on beauty, feminism and identity.

The project also is currently without a director. In December, Sony pushed its release from May 12, 2017 to June 29, 2018.

“We respect and support Amy’s decision," said a Sony spokesperson. "We look forward to bringing Barbie to the world and sharing updates on casting and filmmakers soon.”
Old 03-23-17, 06:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Sounds like a DC production.
Old 03-23-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scheduling conflicts?

I thought Sea World ended their whale shows.
Old 03-24-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Trying to think of who can replace her and the list is literally endless.
Old 07-24-17, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anne Hathaway in Talks to Replace Amy Schumer as ‘Barbie’
Justin Kroll Film Reporter @krolljvar
JULY 24, 2017 | 05:40PM PT

After losing Amy Schumer due to scheduling conflicts, Sony looks to have found its replacement for the upcoming live-action “Barbie” pic, with Anne Hathaway in talks for the lead role.

Australian “Fun Mom Dinner” director Alethea Jones is in talks to helm the comedy.

Studio reps said the casting is premature as scheduling arrangements have not been worked out and there is no deal as yet.

The big screen adaptation of Mattel’s iconic toy line was originally expected to start production on June 23, but Schumer’s busy schedule included a promotional tour for her new Fox comedy “Snatched,” as well as shooting for Rebecca Miller’s “She Came to Me” opposite Steve Carell.

Sony still intends to stick to its projected June 29, 2018 release date, though it’s not clear when production would start. Mattel already has merchandise and product cycles in motion, and shifting the production to accommodate Schumer would have put on a strain on other partners on the film, according to insiders.

The “Barbie” movie is said to be in the vein of “Splash,” “Enchanted” and “Big.” In it, the main character gets kicked out of Barbieland for not being perfect enough and lands in a real-world adventure.

Schumer recently did a polish of the script. It’s unknown whether the same tone will be kept for the Hathaway version.

Walter F. Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and Amy Pascal are producing the film. Richard Dickson, president and COO of Mattel, is executive producing.

Parkes and MacDonald initiated the original deal with Mattel in 2014.

While Hathaway doesn’t come from the stand-up comedian world like Schumer, she has shown a knack for comedic timing in films like “The Devil Wears Prada” and “Get Smart.” Hathaway is about to start shooting the “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” remake “Nasty Women” with Rebel Wilson and is co-starring in the “Ocean’s Eleven” spin-off “Ocean’s Eight.”

She is repped by CAA and Management 360.
Old 07-24-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

Well at least Anne Hathaway could pull off being Barbie, she kind of was In the Princess Diaries
Old 07-24-17, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Well at least Anne Hathaway could pull off being Barbie, she kind of was In the Princess Diaries
WTF? You're in one thread trashing Wonder Woman and the current state of Star Wars yet you come in to a thread about Barbie and spout off like you've actually watched The Princess Diaries?
Old 07-24-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

I came here only because I knew it was going to be the fat pig Barbie movie that would have happened with Amy Schumer. Its sounds like someone might have reigned in Amy Pascal after Ghostbusters, and Yes I have seen The Princess Diaries.
Old 07-24-17, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I came here only because I knew it was going to be the fat pig Barbie movie that would have happened with Amy Schumer. Its sounds like someone might have reigned in Amy Pascal after Ghostbusters, and Yes I have seen The Princess Diaries.
Maybe you should step away from the keyboard and get some help.
Old 07-24-17, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

I have no interest in a Barbie movie (I'm obviously not the demographic) and I like Amy Schumer, and even find her somewhat attractive but I'm glad she ended up leaving the project for no other reason than to avoid sexist asshole "jokes" like some of the above throughout production.
Old 01-23-18, 05:57 PM

This just in: Sony’s Anne Hathaway Barbie movie is moving from this summer, Aug. 8 to May 8, 2020.
Old 01-23-18, 06:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It’s defintiely a DC production.
Old 01-23-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony is shifting the fish-out-of-water tale from Aug. 8, 2018, to May 8, 2020.
Sony is moving its Anne Hathaway-starring, long-in-the-works Barbie project to 2020.

The fish-out-of-water tale, directed by Australian director Alethea Jones, will now premiere on May 8, 2020, kicking off the summer that year, after moving from its original launch date of Aug. 8, 2018, the studio announced Tuesday.

Amy Pascal, Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald are producing the project based on the classic Barbie mythology and putting a contemporary spin on the toy, with an emphasis on feminism and identity.

The script, now to receive more work, portrays a woman that slowly awakens to the fact that she doesn’t fit into the perfect land of Barbies and journeys to the real world, where she discovers that being unique is an asset.

Richard Dickson, president and COO of Mattel, is executive producing the pic.

Sony also announced Tuesday that it is giving Alex Tse's Superfly reboot a launch on June 15.
Old 01-23-18, 08:03 PM

If they go with the tired old "Barbie somehow finds her way into OUR world" storyline, I'm out.
Old 10-05-18, 02:35 PM

Oscar-nominated actress Margot Robbie is attached to star in “Barbie,” Mattel’s feature film based on its globally recognized doll.

Robbie is also on board to produce with Mattel president Robbie Brenner. The film was previously set up at Sony, but after the option passed, Mattel took back the rights. It’s now likely to head to Warner Bros., given Robbie’s first-look deal at the studio.

It is currently unknown if Mattel is sticking to the original script, which had set Amy Schumer to star, though she dropped out due to scheduling conflicts (Anne Hathaway was also attached to replace Schumer at one point). That first script had more of an adult comedy tone.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...el-1202970594/
Old 10-05-18, 02:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

From Schumer to Robbie. I think it’s safe to say there’s been a change in “vision” for this project.
Old 01-08-19, 02:24 PM

Robbie is official now:

Warner Bros. and Mattel have partnered to bring Barbie to the big screen. Margot Robbie is set to portray the live-action version of the iconic doll.

“This project is a great start to our partnership with Ynon and Mattel Films,” said Toby Emmerich, chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures Group. “And Margot is the ideal producer and actress to bring Barbie to life on screen in a fresh and relevant way for today’s audiences.”

Robbie will also co-produce the film under her LuckyChap Entertainment banner, alongside Tom Ackerley and Josey McNamara from LuckyChap Entertainment.

“Playing with Barbie promotes confidence, curiosity and communication throughout a child’s journey to self-discovery. Over the brand’s almost 60 years, Barbie has empowered kids to imagine themselves in aspirational roles from a princess to president,” Robbie said. “I’m so honored to take on this role and produce a film that I believe will have a tremendously positive impact on children and audiences worldwide. I can’t imagine better partners than Warner Bros and Mattel to bring this film to the big screen.”

The Barbie adaptation marks the first announced deal to come out of Mattel’s newly-established Mattel Films, led by producer Robbie Brenner, as well as the first collaboration between Mattel Films and Warner Bros. Pictures.

“Barbie is one of the most iconic franchises in the world and we are excited to partner with Warner Bros. Pictures and Margot Robbie to bring her to life on the big screen,” said Ynon Kreiz, chairman and CEO of Mattel. We look forward to building on this collaboration with Warner Bros. Pictures as we tell the stories of our beloved brands. Mattel Films is on a path to demonstrate the enormous potential of our brand portfolio, as we continue to execute on our strategy of transforming Mattel into an IP-driven, high performing toy company.”

Robbie, who is about to start filming Warner Bros.’ “Birds of Prey” next month, reprising her role of Harley Quinn, is represented by Management 360, CAA, Aran Michael Management, and attorney Jeff Bernstein. LuckyChap Entertainment is represented by Management 360, CAA, and attorney Jeff Bernstein..
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/w...ie-1203102234/
Old 01-08-19, 04:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

i can't even imagine what this is going to be about or anything. can't fathom live action about a doll with as far as i know has no story or any lore except Ken or whatever. let alone with Margot Robbie...
Old 07-15-19, 03:14 PM

Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach to Co-Write ‘Barbie’ Starring and Produced by Margot Robbie
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/g...ie-1203267621/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.