Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Prior to Star Wars, I knew nothing of Obi-Wan Kenobi. There should have been a stand-alone film...
If anyone actually read my post and the post I was responding to they’d know that wasn’t my point but okay. I can’t have a point because I’m just a hater after all.
Old 10-29-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Good thing Hokeyboy didn’t say Darth Vader ... you’d need a whole trilogy to explain that shit.
Old 10-30-17, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The CW Flash show has given the character a lot of exposure. Since it's been on I've been surprised at the number of people i meet/know irl that watch it. People who are not even in to comics.

And Cyborg has plenty of exposure as well with the 2 Teen Titans cartoons, 1 currently airing. Kids watch that show, or at least the ones I know.
Old 10-30-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The CW shows are actually good so it’s not surprising that the characters have found some popularity there. I still think the exposure there is somewhat limited because of the demographic the CW aims for but it’s easy to believe that The Flash has gotten somewhat popular. There’s Teen Titans Go! for Cyborg but that’s also a much more kid oriented show as opposed to what the films are aiming for. So it’s got an even more limited appeal. Yes, I said something positive about DC. Shock and awe to all the people who think I hate anything they do.
Old 10-30-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Good thing Hokeyboy didn’t say Darth Vader ... you’d need a whole trilogy to explain that shit.
George Lucas: "Hey, that's a great idea! I'll get on it right away!"
Old 10-31-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Henry Cavill's thoughts on the DCEU
Old 10-31-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Wait, what? Gen-X didn't grow up with Cyborg? I started reading about that character when I was 10! (46 now)
Old 10-31-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Wait, what? Gen-X didn't grow up with Cyborg? I started reading about that character when I was 10! (46 now)
I believe the intent of that comment was about Cyborg not being in any other medium (outside of comics) until fairly recently (where he's been in Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go, Smallville, to name a few things).

I certainly haven't watched all the episodes, but i don't recall him ever making an appearance in JL cartoons...
Old 10-31-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. As far as comics of course he’s been around. That’s not mainstream exposure though for the casual person going to this film. Also at least Cavill is acknowledging that the films thus far haven’t been the best. Hopefully they are on track going forward.
Old 10-31-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I believe the intent of that comment was about Cyborg not being in any other medium (outside of comics) until fairly recently (where he's been in Teen Titans, Teen Titans Go, Smallville, to name a few things).

I certainly haven't watched all the episodes, but i don't recall him ever making an appearance in JL cartoons...
Correct. That's what I meant. There were never any Cyborg toys, Underoos, appearances in video games, etc. That seems like a recent push to make his as iconic as the big 5.
Old 10-31-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

You know what? So fuckin' what if you guys don't like Cyborg or haven't heard of him. Many have and to them he is as much a JL'er as anyone else. It's a fuckin' team.... There is room for many players. If it were up to some of you guys it'd just be all white guys with a woman as eye candy and nothing else.

Kudos to DC for trying to say, years ago...not just in this film..hey, we know this team has lots a Non-white dude fans and here is someone that can represent you. I hope they add a Latino, An Asian, An Arab, A Muslim, A Gay, A Lesbian, A Trans, etc. Fuck all this "FORCED" and "TOKEN" talk. You fanboy haters will always scream "forced" and "token" when you don't like change.
Old 10-31-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There were never any Cyborg toys, Underoos, appearances in video games, etc.
Both not true, Cyborg appeared on the Super Powers Team:Galactic Guardians cartoon in 1985-86 (the last version of Hanna Barbara's Super Friends series) and Kenner made an action figure of him as a part of their Super Powers line in 1986.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Su...ctic_Guardians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Powers_Collection

It's true that he wasn't known to the general public, but in the mid-80's, The New Teen Titans was DC's most popular title (their X-men if you will) and Cyborg was one of the most popular members in the team, so DC did try to push him somewhat outside of comics.

Last edited by cultshock; 10-31-17 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-31-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You know what? So fuckin' what if you guys don't like Cyborg or haven't heard of him. Many have and to them he is as much a JL'er as anyone else. It's a fuckin' team.... There is room for many players. If it were up to some of you guys it'd just be all white guys with a woman as eye candy and nothing else.

Kudos to DC for trying to say, years ago...not just in this film..hey, we know this team has lots a Non-white dude fans and here is someone that can represent you. I hope they add a Latino, An Asian, An Arab, A Muslim, A Gay, A Lesbian, A Trans, etc. Fuck all this "FORCED" and "TOKEN" talk. You fanboy haters will always scream "forced" and "token" when you don't like change.
I just went back a couple of pages just to be sure, but no one has associated the word “forced” or “token” to cyborg being a black person. So I don’t know what you’re talking about. So far the last few exchanges have been very civil with nary a mention of haters. Save for one: yours.
Old 10-31-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I just went back a couple of pages just to be sure, but no one has associated the word “forced” or “token” to cyborg being a black person. So I don’t know what you’re talking about. So far the last few exchanges have been very civil with nary a mention of haters. Save for one: yours.
Kal...If you don't know what I'm talking about then step out. Skip my post(s). The last few pages of Cyborg talk have been about people knowing him and no one said otherwise. I took the issue further, AFTER a quick mention of the long drawn out convo about whether or not people know him; and in an intentionally un-civil way, to cover convos about the character not only here but in other forums about the reason Cyborg is in the JL
Old 10-31-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I suspect that many of Generation X are familiar with Cyborg (and the other New Teen Titans) through this comic book that was handed out to school kids:

Old 10-31-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Kal...If you don't know what I'm talking about then step out. Skip my post(s). The last few pages of Cyborg talk have been about people knowing him and no one said otherwise. I took the issue further, AFTER a quick mention of the long drawn out convo about whether or not people know him; and in an intentionally un-civil way, to cover convos about the character not only here but in other forums about the reason Cyborg is in the JL
I prefer to stay, thank you very much. You seem to have a tendency to respond in a negative way whenever you get called out. (See RoboDad’s posts)
My point stands. Nobody has said “token” or “forced” in association with Cyborg being black and no one has certainly called anybody else a “hater” except for you.
And I find it funny that you would recommend “skipping posts” when weren’t you the one that said at one time you don’t mind other people’s posts since they’re as free to post them as you are?
So,
Old 10-31-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I prefer to stay, thank you very much. You seem to have a tendency to respond in a negative way whenever you get called out. (See RoboDad’s posts)
My point stands. Nobody has said “token” or “forced” in association with Cyborg being black and no one has certainly called anybody else a “hater” except for you.
And I find it funny that you would recommend “skipping posts” when weren’t you the one that said at one time you don’t mind other people’s posts since they’re as free to post them as you are?
So,
Again, the comment was not just about the last few posts. But keep pushing that story..

I didn't jump on anyone specifically. YOU, like RoboDad, came and commented on MY post... so Yeah, I came back.. Call it negative if you want. Makes no difference to me. I guess you THOUGHT you were calling me out. Ok, if you say so. Believe what you want.

And yes...if you don't like when I say something about a post, SKIP IT. And if you choose to come back at me I will come back at you. I go through the same thing here, I skip posts, then I find I posts I want to address, I get someone's response and sometimes it's pos or negative. So what, I'm not crying about it when it happens.

Also...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-31-17 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-31-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I was never interested in Cyborg as a character and I don't like his design in the movie.
But it him being featured in the movie isn't merely for racial diversity.
Geoff Johns has a lot of pull at DC as creative director/exec whatever. The reason why we got a Hal Jordan Green Lantern film and not Rayner or Stewart was because he made the Hal Jordan version a top selling comic again.
Cyborg is already known to a bunch of kids through all the various Titans cartoons. And Geoff Johns made JL a top selling comic again, with Cyborg as one of the members. So those are some additional reasons why he's in it, which are equally important, if not more important than the diversity aspect.

Who else were they going to put? Martian Manhunter? Way less people in the general public know about him and I doubt kids would be as enthused about him over Cyborg.
Hawkman? Not a top selling comic for a while, and not in any recent long running cartoons.
Old 10-31-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Correct. That's what I meant. There were never any Cyborg toys, Underoos, appearances in video games, etc. That seems like a recent push to make his as iconic as the big 5.
I most assuredly had one of these from 1984. I had the whole Super Powers collection, actually. Then it was stolen in 2002. I'm still heartbroken.

And lookee here! Saturday morning cartoons from 1985:

And the Teen Titans cartoon premiered 14 years ago. A 9 year old watching it back then has since graduated from college. An entire generation grew up with the character.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 10-31-17 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-31-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those Super Powers figures were great. I didn’t have many of them but I remember seeing them. I never said Cyborg had zero exposure just I don’t think he’s as well known in comparison to the big three. Same goes for The Flash and Aquaman.
Old 10-31-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My collection was stolen from the trunk of my car, after I brought it in to a local dealer to get appraised for insurance purposes. It was in magnificent condition. Many were from my original collection, some bought on eBay, but well taken care of. Ugh. I'm still pissed off.

And I'm almost entirely sure the dealer was in on it.
Old 10-31-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only ones I for sure remember having are Robin and Penguin. I probably still have both somewhere (both are loose though and I’m sure missing accessories). I might have had more but those are the ones I remember most.
Old 10-31-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I most assuredly had one of these from 1984. I had the whole Super Powers collection, actually. Then it was stolen in 2002. I'm still heartbroken.
Would this be a good time to mention that is either one of the rarest Super Powers figures in existence?

I was too young to get any of those toys but I've always been jealous and envious of anyone who got to grow up with them. All I had was the crappy Toy Biz knock offs.
Old 10-31-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Who else were they going to put? Martian Manhunter? Way less people in the general public know about him and I doubt kids would be as enthused about him over Cyborg.
Hawkman? Not a top selling comic for a while, and not in any recent long running cartoons.
I would have preferred Martian Manhunter or John Stewart Lantern. But mainly because my bias is for Victor Stone from Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, whose base membership is more diverse than JL.
Old 10-31-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Would this be a good time to mention that is either one of the rarest Super Powers figures in existence?

I was too young to get any of those toys but I've always been jealous and envious of anyone who got to grow up with them. All I had was the crappy Toy Biz knock offs.
It'd be a GREAT time to mention it. I never had Cyborg back in the day (1984-5). But I acquired him over a decade later. It was worth every penny I paid at the time to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.