Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Old 03-30-11, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Justice League of America movie planned

I read that after Batman 3, they wanted to reboot the character for the JLA movie.
They really do need a good writer for this though. Someone who has written for the comics perhaps?
Old 06-07-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Justice League (2018, Snyder) S: Cavill, Affleck, et al

If teaming up worked for Iron Man, Thor and The Hulk, it has to work for Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman, right?

Warner Bros. Pictures seems to think so, as Variety reported yesterdaythat the studio has hired a new writer to bring DC Comics' "Justice League" to the big screen. Just as "The Avengers" assembled the biggest heroes from Marvel Comics, "Justice League" would see DC's iconic characters joining forces to save the world. (DC Comics is a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.) The fact that "The Avengers" is now the third highest-grossing film of all time with $1.3 billion worldwide seems to have reignited the fire to get the other legendary superhero team up on movie screens.

Variety's report states that Will Beall, who wrote the upcoming "Gangster Squad" (starring Ryan Gosling and Josh Brolin) for Warner Bros., has been hired to take on the screenplay. Beall previously wrote for TV's "Castle," but he has also been announced as the writer for new movie versions of "Logan's Run" and "Lethal Weapon 5."

While interest in a "Justice League" movie has certainly been rekindled by the record-breaking success of "The Avengers," the project has been in the works for several years. Director George Miller ("Mad Max," "Happy Feet") was hired for the film in the fall of 2007, with production scheduled to begin the next year for a planned 2009 release.

The original plan was to have a completely fresh cast of actors take on the comic book roles, separate from any existing franchise. Unlike "The Avengers," where the original stars returned, this would have a different cast (so no Christian Bale as Batman). At the time, Armie Hammer ("The Social Network") was attached to play Batman, with D.J. Cotrona as Superman, Adam Brody as the Flash, and Megan Gale as Wonder Woman.

[Related: Christian Bale's comment opens the door for another 'Batman' movie]

The Writer's Guild strike in late 2007 put a halt to the project, however. The production went into an indefinite hiatus, with George Miller moving on to a new "Mad Max" reboot, which is scheduled to start filming soon. In the intervening years, Warner Bros. released the disappointing "Green Lantern," with "The Dark Knight Rises" coming this summer and the new Superman film "The Man of Steel" slated for next June.

That wasn't the first time Warner Bros. tried and failed to get DC's heaviest hitters together in one movie. In the early 2000s, the studio developed "Batman Vs. Superman," which would have pitted the two heroes against each other (though in the end they would team up to take on Lex Luthor). Josh Hartnett was rumored for Superman, with Colin Farrell considered for Batman. But that was eventually shelved in favor of Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins."

Currently, there isn't a director, cast or release date for "Justice League," but summer of 2014 seems like it would be the earliest we could expect to see it. There are also a host of individual DC superhero movies in development, including the Flash, Wonder Woman, and Lobo.

It's also unclear if Warner Bros. still plans to keep the "Justice League" as a separate continuity from the standalone movies, or integrate them the way Marvel built up to "The Avengers." When Joss Whedon, the director of "The Avengers" was asked if he had any advice for the people making "Justice League," he jokingly answered, "Call me." He followed it by saying that it's harder to bring DC characters to the screen than Marvel since they are "from an old, bygone era" where heroes were less flawed and grounded. And Whedon would know, since he tried to bring "Wonder Woman" to the screen in another project that stalled out several years ago.

UPDATE: Mark Millar, the writer who created the comic books the inspired the movies "Wanted" and "Kick-Ass," posted on his official website MillarWorld.tvthat someone he knows is friends with screenwriter Will Beall and got a peek at the unfinished "Justice League" script. Millar reported that the new take on the movie is "Very real-world and not at all what you might expect." He said Beall began working on the script before "The Avengers" hit theaters, and that the "tidbits I heard sound quite dark and mature, which isn't what I expected."

Which DC Comics characters would you most like to see in a "Justice League" movie, and who would you want to play them? Tell us in the comments.
I mean it would work if it was the same build up of the Avengers but not sure if it would work now.... unless they bring in all the movie actors to play their individual parts.
Old 06-07-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Justice League Movie- Release date ?

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...203740882.html
Old 06-07-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

2014 sounds unrealistic as a premiere date. It would have to be 2015 or later, even if they started writing the script today.
Old 06-07-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know---a large part of the reason The Avengers worked for me is because Marvel did a great job of having the main actors flesh out their characters in quality solo movies. Not sure Justice League is likely to be as much of a success if they largely skip that part.
Old 06-07-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

They can do what they want as long as they have a stand-alone Batman franchise without all of the crossover bullshit.
Old 06-07-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll agree with Ky-Fi. I can't say a JL movie gets me excited anyway, but knowing they'll likely all be actors playing the roles for the first time will make it feel like far less an event than Avengers. And no way it'll be as satisfying.
Old 06-07-12, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I don't know---a large part of the reason The Avengers worked for me is because Marvel did a great job of having the main actors flesh out their characters in quality solo movies. Not sure Justice League is likely to be as much of a success if they largely skip that part.
there that part which worked so goddamn well...

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'll agree with Ky-Fi. I can't say a JL movie gets me excited anyway, but knowing they'll likely all be actors playing the roles for the first time will make it feel like far less an event than Avengers. And no way it'll be as satisfying.
and there is this too. The audience will have no attachment to them like we did w/ Marvel's guys. It'd have to be written so fucking well that we accept them adding whatever history they may have had in their own locations and that's fucking hard to do in movies...and I'd assume it'd be harder for a superhero movie cuz..well...we'd have to see what makes them so awesome.

Good luck to them but the most polarizing would be Batman. Bale ain't going to do it w/o Nolan. Also...is Snyder's Superman in this? He'd have to be cuz that'd just fuck people's brains more if they got a different guy.
Old 06-07-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thats what im saying... to have different people.... no way... it wont work... they have to have all the same actors...
Old 06-07-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

They need to have a creative vision guiding the process, rather than just soliciting scripts because they own the property. Because that worked WONDERS for Green Lantern.
Old 06-07-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iron Man: $585 million worldwide
The Incredible Hulk: $263 million worldwide
Iron Man 2: $624 million worldwide
Thor: $440 million worldwide
Captain America - The First Avenger: $369 million worldwide

Before The Avengers' theatrical release, Marvel was sitting on a "franchise" that had grossed already $2.3 billion in worldwide, theatrical revenue. That's not including TV sales, home video rentals and sales, merchandise sales, etc. That's a big reason why the film has already done $1.4 billion worldwide. It also helps that all of the films, except The Incredible Hulk, are all certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Not only were all the films hits with fans, but with the critics as well. At the end of the day, Marvel had a game plan to make quality films leading up to one of the biggest film events in years. They succeeded each step of the way and it paid off with fan-fucking-tastic results.

Just making a Justice League film with the hope that it'll do The Avengers-like numbers is fucking retarded because the movie is going to bomb. It also doesn't help that outside of the Nolan films, that most of DC Films' output has been shit. That's including fans and critics' perspectives.

I know Warner is jealous of all of Marvel's success (and now they've taken Alan Horn with them), but they might want to think this one through before spending $200 million plus on a film that is already guaranteed dead on arrival.
Old 06-07-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I'm skeptical on this. If Warner/DC are really wanting to do this they need to not rush it along. The reason why The Avengers worked so well as others have mentioned is that the characters were each built up in their own movies and we were teased with each movie with a scene relating to the eventual release of The Avengers. So when the final product finally was out people were pumped for it and it really did feel like a special event to see all these characters coming together.

In order for this to work out right Warner/DC has to reboot Batman because as great as the Nolan version is it wouldn't fit in with a Justice League movie. Also they have to hope to hell their Superman movie turns out right and make a start on Wonder Woman. Not only that but depending on who else they want to have on the team make a Green Lantern movie that doesn't suck and possibly start a Flash movie as well. Green Lantern's movie sucked balls so it's either a reboot for that as well or make a sequel that ignores the first one in my opinion.

Overall it could work out really cool like The Avengers did if they build it up but if they're planning to release it in the next few years or so (which I have a feeling they will to try and cash in on the comic popularity while it's still hot) I get the feeling it'll suck. I doubt it'll bomb totally if they do it that way but it won't be as good of a film and likely wouldn't make as much as The Avengers.
Old 06-07-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

< A DC Fan who wonders if they should even bother...
Old 06-07-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think just throwing them together is a horrible idea. They have pretty much failed at making standalone "character" movies, so making a movie out of the clear blue with seven of them should be a disaster. The only thing that has worked for them so far is a Batman who's universe just won't work with the other heroes ....

See how the new Superman does, work on Flash and WW for the following year or so, release a reboot for GL and Batman the following summer and then release a JL movie adding the rest of the characters. (probably MM and Aqua-Man)
Old 06-07-12, 05:12 PM
Banned

Martian Manhunter would be interesting for me personsally. I love the others but...he's so different. I always have it in my head that Fishburne would be a great voice for him.
Old 06-07-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Batman's cool and Superman is not bad but the rest of the DC universe sucks. A stand along Wonder Woman movie could be interesting though.
Old 06-07-12, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Martian Manhunter would be interesting for me personsally. I love the others but...he's so different. I always have it in my head that Fishburne would be a great voice for him.
Would they even use Martian Manhunter anymore? He isn't a founding member in the DCNU Justice League. He was replaced by Cyborg. DC wants to act like their old pre-Flashpoint universe no longer exists, so they would probably use Cyborg in the movie as well.

I agree that a standalone JLA movie would not work. The reason Marvel's Cinematic Universe works so well is because of how highly interconnected all the movies are. DC needs to copy that formula with solo hero movies first and a JLA team-up movie last.

Originally Posted by edstein
Batman's cool and Superman is not bad but the rest of the DC universe sucks.
Marvel troll.
Old 06-07-12, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The DC universe is awesome but WB has rarely been able to take advantage of it. In order to do this they would need to make a whole new set of solo movies, presumably starting with Snyder's Superman. Throwing together a Justice League movie with all new actors is going to fail.
Old 06-07-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I think it also helped that for 98% of the population, these were their only exposure to these characters. Robert Downey Jr is Iron Man, and people were invested in him. Batman and Superman are going to look recycled in any JLA movie because they've been covered so many times before.
Old 06-07-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The DC universe is awesome but WB has rarely been able to take advantage of it. In order to do this they would need to make a whole new set of solo movies, presumably starting with Snyder's Superman. Throwing together a Justice League movie with all new actors is going to fail.
All you have to do is look at how they've exploited their animated universe.
The bankroll behind these is peanuts compared to a $200+ million dollar tent pole movie- but they still have no enthusiasm for exploiting any characters beyond Batman and Superman, in that order, or a combination thereof.

Direct to video animated films are the medium they should be exploiting to increase awareness of the B-list characters. It also works as important R&D into how concepts will/can transition to live action and which need to be tweaked. Warner just wants to make a fast buck which is why slow sellers like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern put the kibosh on any further non Batman/Superman related properties that were in development.
Old 06-07-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I tend to think that lightning doesn't strike twice so soon. Using the Marvel strategy probably won't be successful the second time around, at least this soon after. Will audiences really care about the build-up to a Justice League movie when they'll have sequels to Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and the Avengers coming at them every 6 months? I would let Marvel have their moment now and just milk the Batman/Superman franchises until this wave of Marvel films die down, which will happen when Robert Downey Jr. says he doesn't want to play Iron Man anymore. Warner can then reboot everything and follow the Marvel formula. But I know they won't do that.
Old 06-07-12, 08:32 PM
Banned

I wonder how long Downey will last till he says he's done. He loves the character and I'm sure he's very fortunate for Marvel making him a full on star again.
Old 06-07-12, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I wonder how long Downey will last till he says he's done. He loves the character and I'm sure he's very fortunate for Marvel making him a full on star again.
He's already old as shit. He literally won't be able to continue doing Iron Man movies for more than 5-10 more years. That's 2 or 3 more movies max.
Old 06-07-12, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Will audiences really care about the build-up to a Justice League movie when they'll have sequels to Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, and the Avengers coming at them every 6 months?
Because people only watch one movie every six months...
Old 06-07-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
A stand along Wonder Woman movie could be interesting though.
Only if she is wearing a sexy bikini and got a nice little round butt.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.