Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Justice League Movie- Release date ?

Originally Posted by raven56706
in regards to who would play batman, would you guys welcome back kilmer or keaton to play the parts? yes i know they are older and kilmer is pushing more than 200lbs but still, would you take them back?
Kilmer was terrible in B:Forever and Keaton is old, so no.
Old 08-09-12, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yet Kane thought Kilmer was great for it. lol.
Old 08-09-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I've got two words for Warners:

Richard. Donner.

Thank you.
Old 08-09-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Yet Kane thought Kilmer was great for it. lol.

If you're talking about Bob Kane, then he doesn't know a thing about Batman!
Old 08-09-12, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Richard. Donner.

Thank you.

Donner made some good Silver Age Superman movies, but I don't know if he could do a more modern Superman or JLA.

Keaton might work in a Dark Knight Returns or Batman Beyond adaption, but anything else no way.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
If you're talking about Bob Kane, then he doesn't know a thing about Batman!
Kane spelled it Bat-Man. Who the hell hyphenates Batman???
Old 08-09-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just write Bale a blank check. The movie is going to need a big star to rally around like Downey in Avengers. Superman and Batman are the leads, and I dont think Cavill can do it on his own, so the choice of Batman better be a good one.
Old 08-09-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Affleck as a director, but I'm not surprised he passed. I think he'll stick to dramas mostly and avoid any major blockbuster films.

Assuming Man of Steel turns out well, why not Zack Snyder? I think he's got the visual eye to put together a pretty kick ass film.

I think Duncan Jones would be an interesting choice, but he appears to be involved in an Ian Fleming biopic.
Old 08-09-12, 12:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Michael. Bay.

Old 08-09-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

I'm surprised WB doesn't give Guy Ritchie a look since his Sherlock Holmes films have brought in some nice boxoffice for them and I liked the look and feel of both. Plus he's capable of handling ensemble casts.
Old 08-09-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

bay is a ridiculous choice but at least we'd get some awesome action scenes with explosions and whatnot.
Old 08-09-12, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
bay is a ridiculous choice but at least we'd get some awesome action scenes with explosions and whatnot.
...this can be debated. *cough*

Originally Posted by stingermck
Just write Bale a blank check. The movie is going to need a big star to rally around like Downey in Avengers. Superman and Batman are the leads, and I dont think Cavill can do it on his own, so the choice of Batman better be a good one.
Problem w/ that is that Wayne isn't as likeable or as enjoyable as Stark. Stark has all this personality and flare that you just follow that so easily as a viewer. Wayne/Batman is a character you observe never really getting that close to their core, if you know what I mean. Beyond that...I think as a storied character in these films...it'd be kind of mean to get Bale's Wayne back. Cuz you know...he finally has his peace. Also...it'd kind of kill Alfred's wish of Wayne.

This is all besides that I think Bale is very loyal to Nolan. Guess they hit it off really well. 4 films together, granted...3 Batman films. I'd love to see something from Nolan that is as thematically interesting as The Prestige. Fucking love that film. So morally and ethically twisted those characters were in a way. Fascinated me so much.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-09-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

The more I think of it Affleck's reasoning probably makes some sense. He seems to want to do films that have a good story behind them now and doesn't just want something that's thrown together, which let's be honest is what this Justice League film is feeling like. Warner is simply looking to ride on Marvel's coattails and hoping for a smash hit like The Avengers was.

Richard. Donner.

Thank you.
Ugh..no. Don't get me wrong Donner did a good Superman film but it was 34 years ago. DC needs to look to fresh directors and not rely on nostalgia to try and fuel their new movies.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
...this can be debated. *cough*

Problem w/ that is that Wayne isn't as likeable or as enjoyable as Stark. Stark has all this personality and flare that you just follow that so easily as a viewer. Wayne/Batman is a character you observe never really getting that close to their core, if you know what I mean. Beyond that...I think as a storied character in these films...it'd be kind of mean to get Bale's Wayne back. Cuz you know...he finally has his peace. Also...it'd kind of kill Alfred's wish of Wayne.

This is all besides that I think Bale is very loyal to Nolan. Guess they hit it off really well. 4 films together, granted...3 Batman films. I'd love to see something from Nolan that is as thematically interesting as The Prestige. Fucking love that film. So morally and ethically twisted those characters were in a way. Fascinated me so much.
Yeah, I loved Bale as Bruce Wayne and Batman both. Easily my favorite actor who's played him to date, but I can't see him coming back without Nolan's involvement and I don't know that I'd want him to either. They really gelled well together and created some great films. Plus as Snake mentioned the way The Dark Knight Rises ends bringing him back would kind of put a damper on it in my opinion.

The whole problem is I have absolutely no idea who a good candidate for a new Bruce Wayne/Batman is at the moment. I will say Nolan's films are going to be tough to recast in my opinion. Every actor basically owned their roles. The one person who's been floating around my mind for a part though is Bryan Cranston. Either as Dr. Hugo Strange or possibly Commissioner Gordon.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-09-12 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Richard. Donner.

Thank you.
He's 800 years old by now, and hasn't made a half-decent movie in decades.

No thank you.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 08-09-12 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
He's 800 years old by now, and hasn't made a half-decent movie in decades.

No thank you.
I will say though even though it's not a great film I do sort of enjoy 16 Blocks as kind of a guilty pleasure film. No way in hell do I want him near a new DC movie though.
Old 08-09-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lethal Weapon was 25 years ago. Everything since has been swill.
Old 08-09-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm surprised WB doesn't give Guy Ritchie a look since his Sherlock Holmes films have brought in some nice boxoffice for them and I liked the look and feel of both. Plus he's capable of handling ensemble casts.
Another good choice. Sherlock 2 had some really nifty camerawork.
Old 08-09-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

At this point, all I really want from DC/WB is a really top-notch animated JLA feature. Something along the lines of the "New Frontiers" DTV feature from a few years ago, only with theatrical-quality 2-D animation.
Old 08-09-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think Affleck has passed at least fully. If had passed, why would he waste his and WB's time and having meetings over JL?
Old 08-09-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bleedingcool:

eadline‘s report on Ben Affleck‘s involvement with Warner Bros. Justice League film is less a piece of reportage than a bit of flag waving.

The gist is this: they say that they didn’t scoop Variety on the big Justice League story “days ago” because Ben Affleck’s people have already told them we won’t take the gig.

“Several sources” have apparently said to Deadline that Affleck might take a meeting with the studio about the film, but he certainly won’t direct it.

Which is to say, Deadline are saying that Affleck’s people are saying that he’s about to waste both his and the studio’s time on a meeting about a film he certainly isn’t going to direct.

Assuming that this can be believe, I can only read it as playing hard to get by Affleck and team, if filtered through a bit of Variety-trashing by Nikki Finke and Deadline.

Which probably goes some way to convincing me Affleck might actually be wanting the gig.
Old 08-09-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's why the film won't work: there's no backstory. The Avengers worked because it had five prior films to explain the team's actions and motivations allowing Whedon to go full tilt with the story of them coming together and defeating evil. Marvel's plan was risky, but it paid off.

Film audiences won't know (or care) about Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, and whatever other superheroes that they decide to throw in there.

While Ben Affleck is a great and inspired choice, I'd rather see him focus on something that actually has the potential to be great.
Old 08-09-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Film audiences won't know (or care) about Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Shazam, and whatever other superheroes that they decide to throw in there.
maybe, just maybe that's the reason why it will be successful. people don't care about the backstories. they just want to see a good movie.
Old 08-09-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
maybe, just maybe that's the reason why it will be successful. people don't care about the backstories. they just want to see a good movie.
The Avengers audience was already involved with the characters for 4 years leading up to the movie. We knew who these people were (mostly) and were invested in their development, i.e. wanting to see Steve Rogers interact with the modern world, Thor's duty to protect Earth, Tony Stark become more responsible and altruistic, Black Widow whip out some titty, Hulk become more self-controlling, Hawkeye develop a personality, etc. Without all that sense of character arc, Avengers could have been just another Michael Bay-styled shitfest.
Old 08-09-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Plus as Snake mentioned the way The Dark Knight Rises ends bringing him back would kind of put a damper on it in my opinion.
And given the way The Dark Knight Rises ends,
Spoiler:
I wonder if they would consider using Joseph Gordon-Levitt? I don't think he would make a good Batman, but it would be interesting if they went that route.
Old 08-09-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The Avengers audience was already involved with the characters for 4 years leading up to the movie. We knew who these people were (mostly) and were invested in their development, i.e. wanting to see Steve Rogers interact with the modern world, Thor's duty to protect Earth, Tony Stark become more responsible and altruistic, Black Widow whip out some titty, Hulk become more self-controlling, Hawkeye develop a personality, etc. Without all that sense of character arc, Avengers could have been just another Michael Bay-styled shitfest.
Nolan verse Batman doesn't exist for this film. We will have to see how Cavill as Superman works. Green Lantern didn't do all that great.

You have the mythos of Superman and Batman (who would most likely be in costume for most, if not all the film) to carry the other heroes through their introduction. They (WB) don't have the time to wait to build up their other heroes as the Marvel film making machine keeps steamrolling.

The biggest problem is finding a reason for all of them to get together in the first place other then using Darkseid, which people will compare to
Spoiler:
Thanos
and accuse DC/WB of being a copy cat.
Old 08-09-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thinking about it... the one big thing that DC/WB has in its back pocket to explain away the diffferent media variations of Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Legion of Super Heroes.

Crisis.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.