Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
4.29%
8.57%
11.43%
17.14%
12.86%
18.57%
14.29%
4.29%
4.29%
0%
0%
Ah...No!
4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 05:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014, Webb) S: Foxx and Friends

Originally Posted by raven56706
i knew it... this was bad from the beginning. Hence the reason why i wanted Marvel to take back Spiderman and do justice. I will still watch but Sony is just screwing it up with tons of villians
Why, damn it?!
Old 05-01-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It sounds like this movie tries to cram too much into it so they can go off and have all their spin-off sequels...this is actually one of my worries about Superman vs. Batman, so hopefully Snyder, Affleck and Co. take a look at this new Spider-man film and say, "hey, let's make sure we don't do THAT."
Old 05-01-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Well, this is disappointing but not surprising. I wasn't a fan of ASM (for me it was at least more enjoyable than MOS) but being a Spider-man fan, I will still go see this. Mainly because my son really wants to see it and I have a 3 free tickets (two from other BD purchases).

And comparing one movie to another movie that you haven't seen is asinine. Your opinion means nothing.

Hopefully I can go into this with extremely low expectations and come away with some enjoyment. I went into ASM and MOS with high expectations and came away from both feeling miserable and irritated.
Old 05-01-14, 09:53 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'll reiterate.

The good:
Spoiler:
Fight sequences with Elektro and Harry (he does not call himself the Green Goblin)
Gwen dies. (People in the audience actually gasp, even if you seen it coming.)
Spidey swinging thru the city. Head over heels better than the Raimi films.
Acting still better than the Raimi films, too.

The bad:
Spoiler:

Overly bloated with unnecessary scenes. Most of Aunt May's scenes don't need to be in this.
Necessary scenes that don't pay off i.e. Richard and Mary Parker opening. But nothing happens after Peter finds their hidden lab.
Gwen and Peter go thru their relationship like Lana and Clark in Smallville. Where you had several seasons to be annoyed with it in Smallville, they do it in 2.5 hours. That's too much foreshadowing.
Pacing. The scenes with Gwen and Parker grind the film to a halt.
Too much Max Dillon, not enough Harry Osborn.
If Peter didn't want to give up his blood, they gave him a lame excuse. Had they recut it so that they place the hidden lab scene prior to his refusal, it may have made more sense.

And thinking back on it:
Spoiler:
I might be taking a stab at this, but I don't think Norman Osborn actually died. There's a scene during his eulogizing in which they show his large bed with some type of scanning going on and a nurse standing over the bed. Looks like there's a body there, but it's very secretive.

The test screening running time was about 2:40 and it's now down to 2:22. Could have easily been trimmed even more.
Just got back.

I agree with a lot of your points. I really don't know what else to say except this was just "meh". I didn't really find anything effective...even the major events in the movie.
Old 05-01-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Amazing Spider-Man 2" was remarkably bland, with a bloated middle act that lacked narrative tension, and character motivations of the antagonist(s) were sorely lacking or juvenile. I really have no idea how screenwriters Orci and Kurtz keep landing writing gigs, because they are so mediocre, totally made me appreciate David Koepp's effort in the Raimi-directed Spider-Man films.

But it's not as bad as "Batman and Robin", mainly because it has very little ambition than to just occupy 140 minutes per showing at the theaters.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C. (And I'm being charitable)
Old 05-01-14, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny that the Batman and Robin comparison keeps coming up (usually in "it's not as bad as..." kind of way). Most of the Electro stuff really struck me as very Schumacher Batman. If you remove Electro completely from the first 2/3rd's of the movie, it is instantly so much better.

Positive: Gwen/Peter chemistry, Garfield as Spiderman, DeHaan as Harry Osborne
Negative: Pretty much anything else

Spoiler:
I love that they had the balls to do the death of Gwen Stacy, but it comes at the end of a movie that is not worthy of that iconic story
Old 05-02-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Score was awful and ruined many scenes. There were parts that I liked, but they were few and far between. Almost everything with Electro was stupid beyond words.
Old 05-02-14, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Score was awful and ruined many scenes. There were parts that I liked, but they were few and far between. Almost everything with Electro was stupid beyond words.
The score is one of the best of the year so far.
Old 05-02-14, 01:21 AM
Suspended

A couple of my friends said to wait for cable, they said the left feeling like they watched a two hour movie trailer. No real story just a big set up for another movie. Paul Giamatti's really only in it for five minutes total?
Old 05-02-14, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Yeah Giamatti's not in it that much. Hell they even show the ending scene in the trailers for it which he's a part of.
Old 05-02-14, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got back from watching the movie and I really enjoyed it, and though it's not perfect it is a fun ride.
Old 05-02-14, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Spoiler:
When a giant mechanical Rhino is killing police officers with sub machine guns, I know what I like to do is stand behind a small barrier and watch with my 5 year old son.

Just like the 4 Spidermans before it, ASM2 was a colossal pile of shit.
Old 05-02-14, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Captain America 2 takes a shit all over this lousy movie.
Old 05-02-14, 06:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think SM2 is the best but that one had issues too. How I hate MJ in that one. Also the whole tentacles being influential on Ock was stupid. LOVED him when he was getting shit done though. It really has some amazing moments but it does get stupid.
Old 05-02-14, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
The score is one of the best of the year so far.
I felt there were many instances where it was completely incongruous to what was happening on the screen, so as to detract from the film rather than enhance it. My friend came to the same conclusion at the end of the film before I even mentioned it.
Old 05-02-14, 08:19 AM
Banned

So in other words the music didn't match the visual?
Old 05-02-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't mind the score but found it jarring in parts - I completely hated the electro song - hearing this horrible song in his head was idiotic (I honestly couldn't tell if it was diagetic or non-diagetic at first) and the Philip Phillips song did not fit the scene in which it was used at all. It is not often that music can completely take me out of a film but ASM2 managed to do that about 5 times.

I love Spider-Man in this movie - when Garfield is in the suit, he nails it. His chemistry with Emma Stone is undeniable....but everything with the parents was boring the first time, worse this time because they spend so much time on something that adds up to nothing. The Aunt May scenes were forgettable and all the setup of Electro feels like a bad sketch show with Foxx amping the nerd stereotypes up to 1000.

Very torn on this one. Some great scenes and fun action - but so many eye roll inducing moments. I still wake up with nightmares about the wasted potential of Raimi's Spider-Man 3 and how horrible it turned out - ASM2 didn't blow it on that grand a scale, so I'd still notch it about that abysmal turd.
Old 05-02-14, 08:50 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I thought the main score for the "hero" aspect was well done. Reminded me of a classic style, Superman type of score. The Electro stuff... I really didn't care for especially with the thoughts in his head. That was completely distracting. And then the EDM cues... ugh...
Old 05-02-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I enjoyed it more than ASM. I'm not sure what else people are expecting from a Spider-Man film. Also, I feel like it is a far more enjoyable than Man of Steel was.
Old 05-02-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Man of Steel was fine, not sure what you were expecting from a Superman film.
Old 05-02-14, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
So in other words the music didn't match the visual?
Yeah, music just felt goofy in parts and took me out of the scene.
Old 05-02-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

funny how Marvel really cant do no wrong... always bringing in Man of Steel as the comparison... compare this movie to another marvel movie and not man of steel

Last edited by raven56706; 05-02-14 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 10:01 AM
Banned

Huh?
Old 05-02-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

For the first time in a long while, I will skip seeing a comic film in theaters on opening weekend (the reviews on this film are brutal, especially compared to the well earned praise that was thrown at CA:TWS), however, I added the score to my google unlimited music library, and it was actually pretty good from start to finish. I think I may just listen to the soundtrack again while prepping things for eBay this weekend (a much more productive use of my time vs burning hard earned cash and 2 1/2 hours of my life at the theater).

I have a feeling this may genuinely bomb for Sony...meaning it will not even get to 92m this weekend, maybe 75-80m...which would be a disaster given how much this film cost (including P&A, I hear the true budget for this film may approach nearly 400m!...jinkies). I have a brother in law who is a special effects artist that works for Sony (he helped put together many of the trailers for this film), and he just survived the round of layoffs Sony went through...so I wish Sony no ill will and want them to make gobs of money to keep folks employed, but I think this film may not even gross as much as ASM worldwide gross (about 750m).

Edited to add: Deadline indicates it is still on track for 85-90m, so not a bomb for Sony, but not an overachiever, which Captain America:TWS proved to be.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 05-02-14 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The film's main problem are its one-note villains, especially Electro:

Part of what makes Spider-Man so interesting as a character are his enemies; and even with nearly two-and-a-half hours of breathing room, the story still sells them short, particularly Paul Giamatti's Aleksei/Rhino (who barely registers as a footnote in the film, serving more as comedic relief than genuine antagonist) and Jamie Foxx's Max/Electro (who isn't nearly as menacing as he ought to be, instead coming across as a bizarre amalgam of Jim Carrey's Edward Nygma and Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze). Fortunately, there's Dane DeHaan, who makes an impact as Harry/Green Goblin, even though his evolution from friend to foe manages to set a new land-speed record for a superhero film. The shadow of Willem Dafoe and James Franco's performances from Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy may loom over his portrayal, but DeHaan manages to make the role his own by delivering a meaner, nastier rendition than both Dafoe's Green Goblin and Franco's Hobgoblin combined.
But Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone do an excellent job conveying the dynamics of the Peter/Gwen relationship:

Depicting the story of Peter and Gwen is where The Amazing Spider-Man 2 really shines — and spectacularly so. Those who are familiar with the comics will know the pivotal role Gwen plays in Peter's arc, and the film doesn't treat their relationship lightly. Garfield's performance is as nuanced as ever, nailing the delicate balance between wise-cracking quipster and tortured soul, while Stone's portrayal of bold, headstrong Gwen runs circles around Kirsten Dunst's comparatively bland Mary Jane. Their chemistry together is palpable to the point of crackling right off the screen, and amid the visual spectacle of Spider-Man's confrontations with Electro and the Green Goblin, it brings some much needed emotional gravitas to the otherwise frenzied proceedings.
Overall, it's a 3 out of 5. It's a bold spectacle of a superhero film -- completely different in tone from the Marvel Cinematic Universe -- that can be shallow at times, but at least there's a human element worth rooting for.

My full review can be found here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.