Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) The Reviews Thread
4.29%
8.57%
11.43%
17.14%
12.86%
18.57%
14.29%
4.29%
4.29%
0%
0%
Ah...No!
4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) The Reviews Thread

Old 05-11-14, 07:21 PM
Banned

Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Webb, 2014) The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
The crazy thing is ASM2's total budget was a whopping $330 million, and I read most of it was marketing costs.
Budget breakdown:

40% goes to marketing.
30% goes to CGI.
0.00001% goes to Electro's birthday cake.
0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% goes to the script.
Old 05-11-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the biggest problem is that this just isn't a very good movie regardless of Gwen Stacy's death. I remember people saying that The Dark Knight might not make much money because it's a downer picture but we all remember how that turned out. The simply matter is that TDK was a much better movie that made people want to re-watch it
Old 05-11-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Yeah I wonder if Sony is giving pause to the Sinister Six movie now. If the audience is dwindling for Spidey, who is going to turn out for his villains in a redemption movie?
They'll still make the movie, they'll just cut the budget.
Old 05-11-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish they would just pull the plug on all of these stupid projects and try something original, but that would be unheard of nowadays.
Old 05-11-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Spoiler:
That's not very surprising. I'm a fan and knew it was coming and I found her death to be a downer so I can see how a casual viewer might be sort of turned off by that.
I don't think that death could have been any more foreshadowed if she was taking a ride in a cab from the Live Forever Cab Company and she had just left her retirement party in which she cut open a huge cake filled with doves while the band played The Rains of Castamere in the background.
Old 05-11-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently supervillains with unlimited power will simply stop for a moment and let you banter like sitcom characters.

Originally Posted by bellevuecoug View Post
Now down to 58% and just 38% among top critics. This has all the makings of a giant turd. Raimi is the man - and rebooting after just 5 years was a selfish disaster move by Sony. Time to give it a rest (but they won't).
Raimi was doing fantastic, the upgrade from the first movie to the second was phenomenal. Then the studio decided to stick their nose in and Raimi wisely said bye. At least Singer is coming back to try to fix X-Men.

Originally Posted by Super X View Post
This hits a lot of the problems I had with the film. To elaborate on one, though

Spoiler:
Let's put aside the why of Richard Parker building his secret lab in a subway car at an abandoned platform, just how did he do it? He not only fully outfitted the car with electronics and all the analysis equipment he'd need, but he managed to do major construction work on the platform to create a hidden elevator to take the car down into a hidden alcove underneath the tracks, with the tracks parting to allow the car to come up, plus he wired it to the token machine. What, how wealthy was this guy? And how's he do it with nobody noticing, especially since workers walked through that area just before Peter arrived? Clearly, someone would have noticed this major construction effort occuring.
Spoiler:
What's more interesting is that he had equipment which was full compatible with 2014 technology.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 05-11-14 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never got the love for Spider-Man 2. There was far too much forced drama and it rehashes way too much from the first movie. And Harry going nuts at the end, having visions of his father in the same mirror that Norman would talk to himself, and chancing upon the entire Green Goblin arsenal during his very first psychotic break was all beyond stupid.

Old 05-11-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With Marvel Studios currently firing on all thrusters with their megabucks franchise and Fox bringing back the one director who ever made the X-Men franchise worth a damn in a desperate attempt to dig it out of of the hole it's buried itself in the last decade, Sony tosses its hat back into the superhero ring with The Amazing Spider-Man 2. And all I can say is, wow, do I miss Sam Raimi. The film picks up after its predecessor, with Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy graduating from high school while Peter continues his work as New York City's web-swinging hero. Clearly intent on starting a franchise, the film leaves way too many ideas open while failing to bring satisfying resolution to many of the ones it does. But through it all, they're machinations in a much larger plan. I think. The film's narrative is so confused, full of plot threads left dangling for sequels, and overloaded with information and exposition, that even when it's possible to keep track of it, it's still nonsensical.

Webb's first film, though a step up from the mess Arad made of Raimi's last outing, still hardly felt like a franchise reboot that reinvented the wheel or even did much you couldn't see anywhere else. In spite of a promising new cast, the whole film felt stale, frequently silly, and didn't even feel promising. Subscribing firmly to the "more is better" approach, the second film is jammed with enough plot for three films, and it shows. Garfield and Stone make for a cute, highly likeable central couple, with the real-life romance bleeding into the film for a terrific chemistry and their attempts to make the central characters worth caring about. Elsewhere, Jamie Foxx does what he can with his poorly-written role, Sally Field continues to impress with her strong chops, Chris Cooper makes the most of a creepy cameo, and Dane DeHaan is disappointing as the new scheming Harry Osbourne. Occasionally they're successful, but unfortunately, they're stuck in such a massive crossfire that it's hard to find the film's beating heart, as the film overloads with too many climaxes and chaos.

Webb proves himself a capable enough director of actors, handling the film's teen angst elements and the sitcom-style banter with a nice zip. Garfield himself adds the quips and sarcasm which were missing from Raimi's films, but it's the action sequences where he stumbles. Overloading on CG that looks disappointingly like a video game and feels weightless and without impact, the films set pieces, though hugely expensive looking, rarely feel like much is at stake. Conceptually, the idea of a flesh-and-blood hero facing off a disembodied villain is a fascinating idea. But it would take a director with the sensibility to find some way of making the idea cinematically innovative, and sadly, Webb isn't up to the task. The result are many set pieces which, in spite of a degree of investment because of the talented cast, simply feel like sound and fury and little else, rarely suspenseful or exciting. And Spider-Man ability absorb and extraordinary amount of punishment seem to really stretch credibility. Webb's frequent use of Matrix-style bullet-time effects, outdated by at lest 2001, also frequently grow tiresome. It's one thing not to reinvent the wheel with set pieces, but most of these feel by-the-numbers and sometimes even dull. When endangering a key character, Webb finally manages to milk suspense out of the scene, but even here, too many CG pieces in motion make a scene with a clear emotional center feel cluttered and frantic.

Foxx is a fine actor, but TV-bred scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci do little to invest in the character, giving him a wholly inane backstory, and overloading the film with illogical plot twists. His character doesn't come across as sympathetic so much as nonsensical, not so much caricatured as frankly perplexing. Perhaps there's a way to execute a supervillain inverse of the hero with an inferiority complex who's ultimate power drives him megalomaniacal, but frankly, Chronicle did a much better job in much less time. As the movie finally reaches what feels like a narrative climax after the exhausting power-plant showdown, there's still more to go. The personal stakes for the characters aren't enough for the screenwriters, so the film endangers not only the entire city, but a whole sky full of airplanes as well. Is our emotional investment in the characters not enough to fuel an action scene? Apparently not. At this point, when the film drops into the territory of a notorious comic-book plot beat, the sequence, well-performed by the cast, has enough emotional heft to work, but doesn't feel enough like the culmination of the film's jumbled thematic arcs. Espionage subplots involving Peter's father and their implications likely to shockwave into future installments serve to do little besides further complicate an already convoluted plot, proving once again that the surest way to sink a superhero film is the dreaded "too many villains" syndrome. Add to this boardroom drama at Oscorp, a secret underground lair full of superweapons, an evil facility to experiment on supervillains run by a mad scientist who's Nazi caricature was outdated before I was born, and some soap-opera style "will-they-won't-they" from Peter and Gwen, which too often feels like teenage angst rather than genuine concern for her safety, and you're left with a film which flails around, never sure of what it wants to be about or how to tell a story. It opens up a handful interesting character arcs, but disappointingly, much like its predecessor, the film doesn't even have the strength of its convictions to wait for the sequel to explore them and let the film end on a not that's at least somewhat thematically satisfying. The coda afterwards, which could've formed the narrative nucleus of the entire third film, further adds to an already overstuffed narrative making the movie feel even more overlong.

In the end, there isn't a good film struggling to get out of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, there are individual elements which would work much better in other hands. Webb is competent, but doesn't have Raimi's kinetic flair, the screenplay is jammed with plot holes and overwrought, hysterical-pitch action which eventually grows wearing, and the film's cast feel like they belong in a much better film. The film, in the end, feels like a placeholder at best, a movie with a psychotically huge budget which ultimately does little that's new or even surprising, feeling at best like a second-tier superhero movie, and its loftier retentions make it feel all the more bloated. Ambition is admirable, but start with a story worth telling and built the franchise off of that, not vice-avers. If Sony want to compete with Marvel Studios, they're going to have to step up their game. Hell, if they want to improve upon the excellent first two film, they're still going in the wrong direction. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is way too much of mediocre thing, and if this is how one of pop culture's most iconic characters is going to be handled, then Sony either need to bring back Raimi, return the franchise to its owners, or simply walk away. I'd say better luck next time, but the omens aren't good.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 05-11-14 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I don't think that death could have been any more foreshadowed if she was taking a ride in a cab from the Live Forever Cab Company and she had just left her retirement party in which she cut open a huge cake filled with doves while the band played The Rains of Castamere in the background.
I think the fact her death is predictable may make it worse for people who aren't familiar with the comic story though. A lot of people probably figured that the film was throwing that possibility out there but that when it came down to it Spidey would be the hero and swoop in to save her at the last minute. I think the fact that didn't happen and that she dies in a pretty brutal manner may have shocked some casual viewers. Especially given that Gwen was a big part of both films in the series so far.
Old 05-12-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Super X View Post
This hits a lot of the problems I had with the film. To elaborate on one, though

Spoiler:
Let's put aside the why of Richard Parker building his secret lab in a subway car at an abandoned platform, just how did he do it? He not only fully outfitted the car with electronics and all the analysis equipment he'd need, but he managed to do major construction work on the platform to create a hidden elevator to take the car down into a hidden alcove underneath the tracks, with the tracks parting to allow the car to come up, plus he wired it to the token machine. What, how wealthy was this guy? And how's he do it with nobody noticing, especially since workers walked through that area just before Peter arrived? Clearly, someone would have noticed this major construction effort occuring.
Spoiler:
Not only that, but during his downtime, he also learned to fight well enough to go toe-to-toe with a hired assassin!
Old 05-12-14, 12:55 AM

I don't care for the Raimi films at all and I actually enjoyed the first Amazing Spider-Man quite a bit.

I guess I should have paid more attention to the Orci and Kurtzman writing credit because, holy shit, did I hate this movie. The opening scene with the parents was bad and then the first Spidey scene was nearly just as terrible. I thought it slightly picked up from there, as the Peter/Gwen stuff was mostly good. The only parts I remotely enjoyed were the parts without any costumes or supervillians.

Emma Stone was fantastic and was easily the best thing about the movie. I thought Garfield was mostly good, too, and I thought the Gwen death scene was done pretty well.

I nearly left roughly 90 minutes in, but I stuck around because I either hate myself or thought it was going to get better.
Old 05-12-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
I know the X-Men title was abysmal and about to be canceled until Claremont came on board and turned the title completely around with the "All New All Different" X-Men and saved it from cancellation, but I still wouldn't elevate him to the level of Jesus.
Damned iPhone .

I do agree that much of the Silver Age stuff hasn't aged well at all and is a chore to read nowadays. Some people complain about story decompression in comics today, but I think they forget how incredibly repetitive all that Silver Age dialogue and text actually was.
Hey, there's a grade-A possibility that 40+ years from now a lot of the comics from our generation might read the same way too. LIke Obi Wan said, a lot of the concepts and characters are pretty timeless (And some of the artists were amazing visionaries), but I find some of the writing a bit of a slog to get through sometimes.
Old 05-12-14, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Hey, there's a grade-A possibility that 40+ years from now a lot of the comics from our generation might read the same way too.
Of course. Nothing is immune to the passing of time. Heck, it doesn't even take 40 years. The Ultimates, for example, is only slightly more than a decade old and already showing its age with some really dated pop culture references like Tony Stark dating Shannon Elizabeth and Hulk wanting to smash Freddie Prinze Jr.

LIke Obi Wan said, a lot of the concepts and characters are pretty timeless (And some of the artists were amazing visionaries), but I find some of the writing a bit of a slog to get through sometimes.
Yes, the concepts are great, and Stan Lee had many great ideas, but the writing is just a chore to read now. I love Stan Lee, but it's just painful trying to read those comics now. Just like the Adam West Batman series. It's completely unwatchable now, although I used to really love watching it when I was younger.

Last edited by taffer; 05-12-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-12-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If anything, I find the Adam West Batman series even MORE watchable, precisely because it has a clear idea of what it is without any pretensions of higher aspirations. It still remains my favorite iteration of the character ever.
Old 05-12-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Of course. Nothing is immune to the passing of time. Heck, it doesn't even take 40 years. The Ultimates, for example, is only slightly more than a decade old and already showing its age with some really dated pop culture references like Tony Stark dating Shannon Elizabeth and Hulk wanting to smash Freddie Prinze Jr.
Might also have to do with Mark Millar's frankly poor writing too. I think that how well something stands the test of time is a real test of it too. I've seen so many films, and I'm surprised by how the great ones really hold up, for a variety of reasons.

Yes, the concepts are great, and Stan Lee had many great ideas, but the writing is just a chore to read now. I love Stan Lee, but it's just painful trying to read those comics now. Just like the Adam West Batman series. It's completely unwatchable now, although I used to really love watching it when I was younger.
I kind of wish I'd come across Silver Age Marvel stuff when I was a kid, I'd have a much stronger and more forgiving nostalgic attachment to it, and I'm sure it would've appealed to me strongly during such years. Of course, I grew up on Power Rangers, and I'm willing to give it a lot of slack because of fond memories, so I'm in a very glass house . Lee of course eventually influenced the next wave of writers after him too-Thomas, Claremont. Mostly, when I try to read through older comics, it's out of interest in the art. Its a shame that guys like Kirby, Ditko, Colan, Romita, etc. all came up at a time when the industry did things in the fashion they did, largely for financial reasons. Imagine them today, it'd be incredible with today's technology. Not that it's not still amazing, but even so.
Old 05-12-14, 11:56 PM
Banned

I kind of wish I'd come across Silver Age Marvel stuff when I was a kid, I'd have a much stronger and more forgiving nostalgic attachment to it.
I did grow up reading collections of Silver Age comics like those Marvel Masterworks collections. I loved reading them as a kid, but not anymore.

I also grew up watching re-runs of the Adam West Batman show. I actually watched that show for a year or two before I ever even heard of such a thing as a comic book. I loved that show as a kid as well, but not anymore.

Despite growing up with them both, I have no nostalgia for them at all.
Old 05-13-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw this last night - Garfield and stone are great (although some of their scenes do drag a little), but as expected, the villains were the worst part.

Goblin was actually OK, although his transformation happened way too fast.

Electro was a cartoon (even his alter ego was cartoony), and the "music" that played in the background of the time square scene was so hilariously bad.

And good god - Giamatti. One of the weirdest/worst casting decisions ever.

All that being said, I give it a solid "meh". Garfield and stone were good (as we're scenes with aunt may), action was pretty good (especially all of the swinging action). Villains bad, Richard Parker stuff ultimately just unneeded and kind of dumb.
Old 05-19-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw this last night. Big disappointment and a big mess. The writing was horrible and the villains were lame.
Old 05-20-14, 07:39 AM
RIP

Just saw it. It was okay, not great.
Old 05-20-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This article really sums up exactly how i felt about the movie. Action great, performances good for the most part, Story dreadful.
Old 05-20-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw this tonight and enjoyed it for the most part.

I gave it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

One issue I had was the length. This did not need to be 2 hours and 21 minutes. Way too long. I can see why Sony decided to cut out Shailene Woodley's MJ scenes. I honestly don't know how it would have fit in the context of this film.

Second, Jamie Foxx's Electro was a little too campy of a villain. I would have preferred more focus on the Harry/Green Goblin story. Electro's scenes IMO was a little too over the top.

Peter did come across in this movie as more of an annoying douche bag than the last film.

Wasn't too suprised about Gwen's death. It was expected from what I've heard about the character. Stone did have good chemistry with Garfield and was a more more fun female lead than Kirsten Dunst in the Raimi movies.

One question, did Gwen die because of the speed over her fall and Spidey's web that caught her essentially broke her body and neck? He caught her before she hit the ground, but I assume the speed and height of her fall killed her despite being caught by Spidey.

I liked the flashbacks with Richard Parker & the mystery surrounding his death. Obviously it wasn't enough material to make a full movie, but I think they should have gone a little more in that direction instead of bringing in Electro.

Overall, I've enjoyed Garfield's work as Spidey. I hope the script for #3 is better and not as campy.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-20-14 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-21-14, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

One question, did Gwen die because of the speed over her fall and Spidey's web that caught her essentially broke her body and neck? He caught her before she hit the ground, but I assume the speed and height of her fall killed her despite being caught by Spidey.
Yes, and that's exactly what happened in the comics. Peter obsessed over it forever about if there was anything he could have done differently to save her.
Old 05-21-14, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Yes, and that's exactly what happened in the comics. Peter obsessed over it forever about if there was anything he could have done differently to save her.
Yep. Peter is supposedly a scientific genius and doesn't know the most basic laws of physics. A body in motion tends to stay in motion. Oh snap.

Spider-Man was snapping necks long before the Man of Steel was.

Old 05-21-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I never got the love for Spider-Man 2. There was far too much forced drama and it rehashes way too much from the first movie. And Harry going nuts at the end, having visions of his father in the same mirror that Norman would talk to himself, and chancing upon the entire Green Goblin arsenal during his very first psychotic break was all beyond stupid.
It also had real character development based on what they established in the first movie and actual story arcs for multiple characters. Doc Ock was also pretty awesome.

The Harry stuff was only there as franchise fodder.
Old 05-21-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Peter did come across in this movie as more of an annoying douche bag than the last film.
Really? I thought Garfield was a lot more likable in this film as Peter than he was in the first one. Spidey is supposed to be a smartass but his Peter in this one was a lot better.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.