Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Recommendations From Friends/Family

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-09-14, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever had a friend or family member recommend a movie to you and they say "oh, it's the best movie ever" or "it's a classic" or "it's hilarious" or stuff like that. So, you think "I trust them/I've known them all my life/we usually like the same things" and you get the dvd or blu-ray of the movie and sit down and watch it. But you just don't get what they see in it? You just can't see the hype.
Old 04-09-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Movie Recommendations From Friends/Family

Yup.
Old 04-09-14, 11:17 AM
Banned

Or it could be a tv show. I have a friend that is really into those home shows. You know, the ones where they have a choice of three houses or keep the one that they already have? Or the shows where super rich people go to different countries and complain about the size of the bathroom? I just can't stand them. But they are pretty much all that my friend watches. The only home show that I've ever really liked is the old This Old House. I tried watching the newer ones, but it's just not the same without Bob Vila.

When I was little, my dad used to watch all these old scifi monster/alien invasion movies. Some of the time, they were a lot of fun. But most of the time, while he really enjoyed watching them over and over, I just didn't get it. The effects were just so hokey. There was the odd movie that was really good like The Day The Earth Stood Still or Forbidden Planet. But for every one of those, you get a mindnumber like Robot Monster or Invasion Of The Saucer Men.

I think we can all agree, though, that Joy Of Painting was great and Bob Ross was, and always will be, the man.

Last edited by HellTrack; 04-09-14 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-09-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, including people who post on this website
Old 04-09-14, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This should be moved to the proper forum.
Old 04-09-14, 11:40 AM
Banned

I thought about putting it in dvd, but wasn't sure since I was talking blu-rays as well. Someone can feel free to move it if I've made a mistake and put it in the wrong section. I couldn't move it myself, could I? Snake, who's in charge of moving topics?

Last edited by HellTrack; 04-09-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-09-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what else grinds my gears? When I can't find the droids I'm looking for.
Old 04-09-14, 11:51 AM
Banned

What about someone not telling you how to get to Sesame Street? That really gets on my nerves.
Old 04-09-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I won't see a movie in a theater based solely on someone's recommendation. I will do my own research first. Now movies out on video, I will take recommendations based on posts here. There are/were lots of movies that were under the radar that I love to read about from fellow members.
Old 04-09-14, 12:12 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Not in real life. Most people I know don't know what a good movie is. People on this forum do, but I also have to realize everyone has their own opinion, and should weigh that with my own inclination for wanting to see a particular film.
Old 04-09-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by HellTrack
Have you ever had a friend or family member recommend a movie to you and they say "oh, it's the best movie ever" or "it's a classic" or "it's hilarious" or stuff like that. So, you think "I trust them/I've known them all my life/we usually like the same things" and you get the dvd or blu-ray of the movie and sit down and watch it. But you just don't get what they see in it? You just can't see the hype.
and that movie was Gravity starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.
Old 04-09-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I never accept a recommendation from anyone unless I know & give thumbs up to their movie tastes. I can't tell you how many crappy movies have been recommended to me over the years.
Old 04-09-14, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I won't see a movie in a theater based solely on someone's recommendation. I will do my own research first. Now movies out on video, I will take recommendations based on posts here. There are/were lots of movies that were under the radar that I love to read about from fellow members.
If it's someone that I know, then I will definitely consider seeing the movie. Of course, I'll do my own research, as well.

Originally Posted by Brack
Not in real life. Most people I know don't know what a good movie is. People on this forum do, but I also have to realize everyone has their own opinion, and should weigh that with my own inclination for wanting to see a particular film.
Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
and that movie was Gravity starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.
You didn't like it either?

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I never accept a recommendation from anyone unless I know & give thumbs up to their movie tastes. I can't tell you how many crappy movies have been recommended to me over the years.
I loved Siskel & Ebert. I didn't always agree with them, but they did know what they were talking about. For the most part. Someone that I absolutely will not listen to is Armand White. It's simple. Whatever he says is suckish, that's the movies you should watch.
Old 04-09-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I've had friends before, who were into movies and were 'on the level' that many people are this forum are on. Only ever had one friend who I felt like was my equal.

Understand that a lot of people don't care about movies. And I'm fine with that. They don't care who directed. They don't care that it's a remake. They barely recognize or care who stars. It's meant to be 2 hours of entertainment and it's done. Taxi with Jimmy Fallon and Queen Latifa? Good flick! It doesn't matter. It's a couple hours.

There are movies that are terrible for everyone. Unentertaining, unengaging duds. Most of those end up direct to video. And then there's plenty of movies (just about everything released in mainstream theaters) that are perfectly acceptable on the surface, but lack any edge to make them appealing to us movie people. Then there's the real magic: movies that are great for both types (something like Captain America 2 is right now).
Old 04-09-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Most normal people only seem comfortable recommending mainstream Oscar nominated films. When shaping a recommendation, you have to know your audience. What interests a horror fan will completely turn off a casual viewer.
Old 04-09-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

I still don't get the appeal of the Boondock Saints after all these years. Or Man of Steel. Or American Hustle.
Old 04-09-14, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The last 2 are simple.

TBS is a piece of shit ripping off things that did it so much better.
Old 04-09-14, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I have had human interaction once or twice.