Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Deliver Us From Evil (2014) - S: Bana, Ramirez, D: Scott Derrickson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Saw this trailer last night in front of Sabotage and nearly shit myself. In fact everyone shit themselves. It looks creepy and scary as fuck. I'm digging the cast. THIS is how you make an effective horror trailer. Also, looks like Bruckhiemer is getting into the "low budget" horror business now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F1KY_pMBVXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-28-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Deliver Us From Evil (2014) - S: Bana, Ramirez, D: Scott Derrickson

Dig Eric Bana is in this but the trailer didn't do much for me - I'm not a fan of the "spooky thing in the mirror while a loud noise plays" trick. After watching The Conjuring, I'm not sure anything will scare me as much as that did.
Old 03-28-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

FKA Beware the Night

Neither of which make any sense for a possession story.
Old 03-28-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks pretty good to me.
Old 06-06-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw the new trailer in front of Edge of Tomorrow and it looks like Exorcism of Emily Rose's cousin. It was really intense and freaked a lot of people at our screening out. That goddamn stuffed owl toy rolling FORWARD is a nice touch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2RR42oZX3-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-06-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I need to see the finished film. Saw a preview last year and was able to give feedback directly to Derrickson and Bruckheimer. The rough cut was trying to find its identity. There were a lot of stupid moments and moments that could have been deleted.

Spoiler:
The film starts off in Iraq, where 3 soldiers find the chamber with the demon. Problem is they could cut this scene as I was half expecting Bana's character to have been there, but no, it's about the soldiers. I commented that it held nothing revelatory. That all of it was explained throughout the film since there's no tie to the main characters.

And the poor kid is freaked out all the time, yet they never have her sleep with the mother (Munn) in another part of the house. You'd think after a couple of times, they would do keep her out of that room.

And the largest problem most had was the scene between Bana and Edgar Ramirez. I understood they needed to help bridge the connection for those two characters, but in a time of urgency, having these two share a drink and a game of billiards wasn't the proper way they could have had it. Think of it as the moment Merrick explains things to Karras.

The exorcism itself was long and gruesome.

I'd be somewhat interested to see the tape of the actual incident. Not sure how Derrickson got a hold of it, but he's shown it to Bana and Munn and they were highly affected by it. I doubt it makes it to any extras when the dvd/blu comes out.
Old 06-30-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This opens on Wednesday. No reviews up yet, but hopefully we'll get some tomorrow.
Old 06-30-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite aspect was Joel McHale's character, whereas Olivia Munn was terrible. I think I'll avoid screenings of work-in-progress cuts in the future, because while I like the genre, the cut I saw left me pretty meh. Perhaps the released version is better.
Old 06-30-14, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I don't think she was terrible, but she wasn't really given anything to do other than be a concerned mother. At least McHale was cool as his partner.
Old 06-30-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

in the first trailer when Eric Bana looks in the mirror and freaks out, the scene would play better if what he saw in the reflection was Mark Ruffalo at the bank cashing a paycheck.
Old 06-30-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm seeing it this Wednesday. Keep a lid on the spoilers or wait until the review thread pops up.

Thx
Old 06-30-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
^ I don't think she was terrible, but she wasn't really given anything to do other than be a concerned mother. At least McHale was cool as his partner.
You can't defend Munn's...
Spoiler:
Brooklyn accent.
Old 07-01-14, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by filmerp
You can't defend Munn's...
Spoiler:
Brooklyn accent.
Well, yea. That was almost as bad as Jolie's French accent in A Mighty Heart or Foster's French accent in Elysium.
Old 07-01-14, 03:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Foster rocked it in A Very Long Engagement though.
Old 07-03-14, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just came back from my screening and I was entertained. Edgar Ramirez should be cast as Doctor Strange ASAP. Joel McHale was an absolute badass in it, too.
It's a gory flick for sure and for some reason I totally forgot it was rated R. I think Derrickson did a fine job and it buries Sinister.
Old 07-03-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just came back from my screening and I was entertained. Edgar Ramirez should be cast as Doctor Strange ASAP. Joel McHale was an absolute badass in it, too.
It's a gory flick for sure and for some reason I totally forgot it was rated R. I think Derrickson did a fine job and it buries Sinister.
Damn. And I loved Sinister.

I usually stay away from seeing horror movies in the theater but I might have to make an exception on this one. Critics reviews are terrible over at Rotten Tomatoes but it seems to be getting decent reviews from the public.
Old 07-03-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Will agree that it was better than Sinister and that Ramirez was really good in his role. All the fake Brooklyn accents annoyed me, and while she is smoking hot, Olivia Munn should not be attempting anything that requires real acting.

The exorcism scene was really good, but everything else just seemed meh. In fact, pretty much all horror movies of the past decade or so have left me feeling such. I didn't even find The Conjuring scary, and that was supposed be a good one. I am really tired of horror movies that promise something and then serve up nothing but cheap scares (cats in a closet, loud unexpected noises, etc.) or just gross out imagery (Saw movies).
Old 07-03-14, 09:05 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. Will agree that it was better than Sinister and that Ramirez was really good in his role. All the fake Brooklyn accents annoyed me, and while she is smoking hot, Olivia Munn should not be attempting anything that requires real acting.

The exorcism scene was really good, but everything else just seemed meh. In fact, pretty much all horror movies of the past decade or so have left me feeling such. I didn't even find The Conjuring scary, and that was supposed be a good one. I am really tired of horror movies that promise something and then serve up nothing but cheap scares (cats in a closet, loud unexpected noises, etc.) or just gross out imagery (Saw movies).
I would disagree... haven't seen this... she may be awful in it... but she is (surprisingly) one of the best things about The Newsroom.
Old 07-03-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, Im sorry but the bashing on Olivia Munn's acting I think is uncalled for... since to me at least she has been really damn good in The Newsroom.

I thought the movie was pretty good and with a few exceptions could've been better. heh
Old 07-03-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

FWIW, if you have yet to see this movie, tonight would be a good night. It's the anniversary of the death of Jim Morrison. Trust me, it fits with the movie.
Old 07-04-14, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Saw this tonight. Loved it. Thought the actor who played Santino was excellent. I'll likely pick up the Blu.
Old 07-04-14, 10:33 AM
Banned

Seeing it in a bit. Previews are about to start.
Old 07-04-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Snake theater hopping?
Old 07-04-14, 06:48 PM
Banned

I really liked it. Not sure why the weak reviews. This is a film that could've been tightened to some degree and also further developed in its scripting. Either way the pacing kept rolling for me. I dug how little CGI there was. But it did slightly depress me when they'd add some cgi to something that would have gone fine without it.

Seeing that Derrickson is now doing Dr. Strange I also studied his visual a lot. I'm digging what he does.
Old 07-05-14, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I really liked it. Not sure why the weak reviews. This is a film that could've been tightened to some degree and also further developed in its scripting. Either way the pacing kept rolling for me. I dug how little CGI there was. But it did slightly depress me when they'd add some cgi to something that would have gone fine without it.

Seeing that Derrickson is now doing Dr. Strange I also studied his visual a lot. I'm digging what he does.
Edgar Ramirez as Doctor Strange, amirite?!

I watched Exorcism of Emily Rose and he will definitely rock Doctor Strange. Dat palette, yo!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.