Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
20.71%
42.14%
24.29%
6.43%
4.29%
1.43%
0.71%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Captain America: The Crimean Soldier
0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Oh he/she knows what disco is. He/she is trolling again. Best is not to respond at all to him/her.
Old 04-06-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dan30oly
In what world is that "p" a "D" ?????

Furthermore, if that really is meant to say "disco" why the hell would someone suggest to him to look into a dance crazy that lasted for a couple of years in the 70's????
In a world where handwriting isn't 100% perfect and it might take exactly 1 second of thought to figure out what someone wrote?

I'd respond to the second part but I think you are being intentionally obtuse about this extremely brief joke from a movie you hated. Probably better to just drop it and move on.
Old 04-06-14, 09:48 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'm just amazed that they managed to make that Secret Warriors story make fucking sense. Man, that was confusing in the comics.

Over all, I loved it. I really can't wait for James to show up again. He was such a great part of this and I'm all for him taking up the shield when Chris Evans decides to retire.
It possible. His contract is for 9 films, over Evans' 6 (Age of Ultron, Cap 3, Avengers 3)
Old 04-06-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Oh he/she knows what disco is. He/she is trolling again. Best is not to respond at all to him/her.
I never said I didn't know what disco is.

The handwriting displayed is absolutely atrocious and seriously, who would suggest to CAPTAIN AMERICA to look into disco?
Old 04-06-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

saw it last night. absolutely loved it. 4 stars. the story, pacing, and action was great. winter soldier was bad ass!
Old 04-06-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Best Marvel movie, hands down. Easily better than Avengers and than Iron Man 1. This just fired on all cylinders. No cutesie-poo dialogue. No embarrassingly trite Kat Dennings shtick. Just a great movie all around.

Curious about something: Widow was born in 1984... exactly when was she involved in the KGB? When she was 7? I suppose Marvel Universe's history might differ a bit from out ("splinter/rogue KGB that existed after the fall of the Soviet Union etc.")
Old 04-06-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

wtf is pisco?
(not googling)

And, Nirvana is only "good" if you have a frame of reference to what was going on with music at the time.
Why look into Steve Jobs???

Thanks for posting your picture. Pretty sure we all figured this anyway.
Old 04-06-14, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And we're all assuming Avengers 3 deals with taking down Thanos. And Thanos did kill Cap once. I could go with Cap going down by Thanos.

I really liked those Infinity Gem stories. Gauntlet, War, and Crusade. That was my major massive Marvel superhero team up moments. That was also when I was introduced to the more cosmic side of the 616.

Talking about the IG. we've been introduced to two of them. Could we still be introduced to the next 4 by Avengers 3?
Old 04-06-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Pretty much damn near perfect as many have said. Easily one of the best of the Marvel films. I don't watch the TV show so I have no idea what the crossover is. I wasn't sure what the first credit scene was and after reading on here I still am not really sure. I guess it ties to something.
Spoiler:
I know that was Loki's axe or whatever but the kids in the cage I have no reference for.

Anyway great movie.
Old 04-06-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

the kids in the cage are Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. They are going to be in the next Avengers movie.
Old 04-06-14, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Pretty much damn near perfect as many have said. Easily one of the best of the Marvel films. I don't watch the TV show so I have no idea what the crossover is. I wasn't sure what the first credit scene was and after reading on here I still am not really sure. I guess it ties to something.
Spoiler:
I know that was Loki's axe or whatever but the kids in the cage I have no reference for.

Anyway great movie.
It was a staff.

The kids are Pietro and Wanda Maximoff aka Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch. The former is a speedster ie he thinks and moves at an enormously high rate. The latter has the ability to affect probability, I like to think of it as her making some of the impossible... Possible. She is also one who dabbles in magic.

So far though? The gloves are off to how the MCU makes them.

Children of Magneto too. Who will have no relation to him in these films cuz Fox has Magneto. And via interesting movie rights both Fox and Marvel can use them. Quicksilver is in the new X-Men film, possibly his sister too from a photo of him with a little girl.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-06-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-06-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Best Marvel movie, hands down. Easily better than Avengers and than Iron Man 1. This just fired on all cylinders. No cutesie-poo dialogue. No embarrassingly trite Kat Dennings shtick. Just a great movie all around.
I think Iron Man still slightly edges this one out for me in terms of my favorite Marvel film. Good origin story and a fun film that's held up pretty well. I'd say this one is a close second though for being badass and I liked the spy thriller feel to it and that it takes itself seriously but not overly so. Honestly to me The Avengers is overrated as hell. I liked it but I don't quite think it's what everyone makes it out to be at all. It starts off really slowly and for me it doesn't really pick up until the last forty-five minutes or so.
Old 04-06-14, 11:23 AM
Banned

I dunno. Iron Monger was not that interesting. Loved Bridges when he was onscreen though.
Old 04-06-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I dunno. Iron Monger was not that interesting. Loved Bridges when he was onscreen though.
Iron Monger didn't get enough time if you ask me but I loved Bridges as Obadiah. He was a great villain if you ask me. I also liked Tony's ingenuity at work when he was being held captive and made the Mark I. To me that's when Tony Stark is at his best, which is why upon more viewings I've grown to like Iron Man 3 more. I generally like origin films if they're well done which the original Iron Man film definitely was.
Old 04-06-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Just an odd thought I had concerning Cap's notebook (since it was brought up) ...

He had to write down "Star Wars/Trek" but he had already seen Wargames?
Old 04-06-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iron Man was a strong movie, but for me, it didn't have quite enough Iron Man-at-full-power action. That was not a problem with Winter Soldier.
Old 04-06-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw it last night, and I think it beats all the other Marvel movies. Can't wait to see this again. It has the most action even more than Avengers, an intriguing political plot with lots of twists and turns, and some great villains. Wasn't expecting Redford to be so good in this.

The only thing that could have made it better for me would have been an Iron Man cameo.
Old 04-06-14, 11:58 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

not that i am saying it is a bad thing, but was there a reason Joe Johnston didn't return for 2nd?
Old 04-06-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Deadline is saying between $95.8 - $96.2 million opening here. Not shabby at all.
Old 04-06-14, 01:03 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I never said I didn't know what disco is.

The handwriting displayed is absolutely atrocious and seriously, who would suggest to CAPTAIN AMERICA to look into disco?
You know what, now that you raise these excellent points I have to revise my opinion of this movie. It absolutely sucks. No one with handwriting as bad as that would be able to save us from Hydra.
Old 04-06-14, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OldBoy
not that i am saying it is a bad thing, but was there a reason Joe Johnston didn't return for 2nd?
I'm pretty sure it was Marvel doing their thing. Though I approved of him doing Cap 1.

I'm glad he wasn't on Cap 2 though. Cuz he wouldn't be able to do this type of action and pace.
Old 04-06-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Just got back. I liked it. The tombstone was a nice joke.
A bunch of references during the targeting scene. I recognized a few of them but probably missed a lot as I've never read any of the comics that tie into these movies.

I think there was a bit of retconning going on. Glasses hydra guy was captured during the mission Bucky was lost on, so how was he the one experimenting on Bucky after that point? Did the US hand him over to the Soviets during the heart of the cold war?

When hydra guy said you cut off one head and two more pop up he was obviously talking about Shandling, who currently has enough head for two or three heads

I give the theater staff credit, they let people know that started leaving after the first credit scene that there was a second. That said, the first credits scene was worth it, but the second one wasn't.

I think I sat too close for 3D though. I was in the 4th row but it's the new AMC recliner seats so it was the equivalent of row 7 or 8 for normal seats and most of the hand to hand fight scenes were hard to watch
Old 04-06-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I think there was a bit of retconning going on. Glasses hydra guy was captured during the mission Bucky was lost on, so how was he the one experimenting on Bucky after that point? Did the US hand him over to the Soviets during the heart of the cold war?
He was talking about the condition he found Bucky in when he rescued the Howling Commandos himself. Bucky was apart from the rest, strapped to a table, and they had obviously been doing things to him. The idea is that whatever they did helped him survive the fall, and Hydra later recovered him.
Old 04-06-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my favorite Marvel films. Fantastic action and pace. Only love Scar Jo more and more. Please let her know, I'm sure she'll be relieved. Cap really learned some martial arts since waking up.
Old 04-06-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
One of my favorite Marvel films. Fantastic action and pace. Only love Scar Jo more and more. Please let her know, I'm sure she'll be relieved. Cap really learned some martial arts since waking up.
He also adapted well to technology

But I did enjoy the movie immensely. Very fun, lots of action and lots more ScarJo. Not sure if it's my favorite Marvel film but it's way up there. Who knew that Chris Evans would be heading up such a franchise back when he did "Not Just Another Teen Movie."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.