Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
20.71%
42.14%
24.29%
6.43%
4.29%
1.43%
0.71%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Captain America: The Crimean Soldier
0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Old 04-04-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan

As a side note, curious what kind of easter eggs are there as far as the "targeted" people around the world.
I'm pretty sure Stark Tower was one of the targets. Beyond that it moved too fast. Can't wait for the BluRay for just this reason!

This will sound odd, but it did not feel like a superhero movie ... It was a political/spy thriller. While I didn't feel ANY of the plot twists were terribly surprising, none were ham-handed or made me groan.

One major plot point bugged me ... Throughout IM3 and Agents of SHIELD we are continually bombarded with the "Aftermath of New York" and how all defensive eyes are turned towards the stars. Yet in this movie there is no mention of aliens or any effort to defend against an other-worldly attack.

The action was top notch, although I had a hard time with the action and 3D during the opening sequence on the ship. It seemed like the 3D worsened the "shaky cam" effect. The 3D added depth to the world, but not to the point that I would say it is worth spending extra on. I will be seeing this again but will try to see it in 2D.

Anthony Mackie makes a better Will Smith than Will Smith.

I loved the Gary Shandling turn; hated the Agent Sitwell turn.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 04-05-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-05-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

I consider this Marvel's The Dark Knight... not just a great superhero movie, but a great movie period. It just amazes me how Marvel has been able to pull off all this continuity among the films, it must be a logistical nightmare. DC can't even pull off one film at a time.

Curious to see how Agents of SHIELD reacts to what happened.

It's obvious why Disney locked in the Russos so quickly for Cap 3.
Old 04-05-14, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I'm pretty sure Stark Tower was one of the targets. Beyond that it moved too fast. Can't wait for the BluRay for just this reason!
It was. Also Steve Strange was mentioned as a target.
Old 04-05-14, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Wow, that was spectacular. Loved it and I thought the 1st one was the worst of all the MCU movies so far. The action was fast and unrelenting, which was great. I too watch Shield, so i am really interested to see where they go now. I wonder of they will address Sitwells death in there. Even though he did literally nothing bit a few lines, it was good to see the Pudi "cameo."
Old 04-05-14, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Oh and the most hilarious thing is in the packed theater, during the bucky reveal, you could hear about 30 different people gasp in shock. Sort of chuckled at that.
Old 04-05-14, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I went and saw it tonight and thought it was an awesome film. I really didn't expect that much because I personally found Captain America: The First Avenger to be sort of dull but this one was a lot better. Great action sequences and I thought all the actors were good. Definitely some things in the film I wasn't fully expecting and some game changers for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I liked that the film was more of an espionage thriller and as has been mentioned by a few others in some ways it almost didn't feel fully like a superhero film but it worked out really well. Easily one of the best films Marvel has done to date.
Old 04-05-14, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Curious to see how Baron Von Strucker ended up Loki's scepter, and how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch got their powers. The dialogue implied they could be experiments
Old 04-05-14, 03:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. The experimentation bit kind of made me sad. I just love them being having powers via birth.

BVS' look was good. Man, I love that actor. Such an unreal and cool voice.
Old 04-05-14, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
Curious to see how Baron Von Strucker ended up Loki's scepter, and how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch got their powers. The dialogue implied they could be experiments
If they had the scepter in SHIELDs warehouse etc I don't think its that hard to assume that a SHIELD/HYDRA agent got it to them.
Old 04-05-14, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Yeah. The experimentation bit kind of made me sad. I just love them being having powers via birth.

BVS' look was good. Man, I love that actor. Such an unreal and cool voice.
Just wondering. Were they experimenting on them to give the powers or were they trying to see how they got them/take them from them?
Old 04-05-14, 04:41 AM
Banned

I dunno. Visually looked like Pietro and Wanda were getting used to their gifts. But maybe they're just guinea pigs and it has fucked them about.

From a preview of SHIELD before the movie, seems like we'll see wtf happens to the agents during Cap's bs. Which only makes me wonder wtf happens to Coulson.

The one scene that surprised me in Cap 2 was the shootout in that comms/center whatever. Kind of feared of it just stopping for the bad guy in that one but no. They fucking shot up the place.
Old 04-05-14, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I dunno. Visually looked like Pietro and Wanda were getting used to their gifts. But maybe they're just guinea pigs and it has fucked them about.

From a preview of SHIELD before the movie, seems like we'll see wtf happens to the agents during Cap's bs. Which only makes me wonder wtf happens to Coulson.

The one scene that surprised me in Cap 2 was the shootout in that comms/center whatever. Kind of feared of it just stopping for the bad guy in that one but no. They fucking shot up the place.
Agree about that scene. To be it was a lot more brutal this time around. Punches seem more forceful etc. In the Avengers it seemed that people in the street got hit my falling brickwork on the head and still got up and walked.
This time in the Fury car chase they were shooting through the bus!

They stepped up this film a lot.
Old 04-05-14, 06:07 AM
Banned

Yeah. This film felt like there were sacrifices made. And it obviously showed it. Shit got real in this one. Civilians were dead for sure. Agents were dead meat. Adding... A LOT of practical effects in this. And a really good mix of the digital and practical.

I do agree with TWS comparison to the T-800. Fucker kept going and it didn't feel ridiculous. Most of us knew who TWS was but it was still cool to see people not know and then the reveal.

Sooo Strange is a threat already? Makes wonder... how far is he in his Sorcerer Supreme career?

Out of everything Marvel, this one has the best control in being part of a world. It gave you details but didn't over emphasize them. It felt lived in. While always new it also felt like one could poke and prod it for more backstory. Which is always neat for a comic book fan.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-05-14 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-05-14, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One thing I thought of straight away and no one has raised here or anywhere else I have read is that no one seemed to know there was a huge shoot out in the streets in DC!
Everyone seemed oblivious to this fact. And when Fury was in surgery they were all wondering how this happened.
Fury was waiting in Caps apartment and he didn't know about it.
Old 04-05-14, 06:59 AM
Banned

This. That's the only glaring flaw for me. Was weird that nobody brought that up. Cuz... That'd be a big deal.
Old 04-05-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting interview with Kevin Fiege over on Comingsoon.net. The point was brought up that where was Hawkeye in all of this? Very much like here was Cap in IM3 I suppose.
He says that they don't want to turn it into cameo week.
It's a difficult line to tread.
In the real world you would probably put a call out (thats even if you could trust him in klight of certain things) for help.
In the movie world, he would turn up and as a viewer you would say "couldn't Cap do this without even more help. He is supposed to be the ultimate soldier!"
Old 04-05-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk God

I too thought about that. But then I realized with the Hydra infiltration, maybe they controlled the information so others didn't know about the initial Fury attack.
Old 04-05-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I too thought about that. But then I realized with the Hydra infiltration, maybe they controlled the information so others didn't know about the initial Fury attack.
Vaild point. But wouldnt you also have to control the media, Facebook and Twitter?
Old 04-05-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One other thought about this one. In The Avengers, through most of the movie I just kind of felt like Black Widow didn't really belong. I mean, you're a 100 lb woman, on a team with Thor, Hulk, Iron Man and Captain America, fighting an alien invasion, and your power is.....you shoot guns and know karate?

In this one, where there were a lot fewer characters with superpowers, I bought her role and action scenes a lot more.
Old 04-05-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Exactly. I'm telling you guys.

This movie isn't anywhere as good as some are suggesting and it is not going to stand the test of time*

Bringing Hydra back as the overall baddie was lazy writing (seriously couldn't come up with another idea fellas??? Oh Captain America is fighting against Hydra yet again...how original!). The good guys turn out to be the bad guys scenario has been done to death.

It's going to take some people multiple viewings to catch all the plot holes in this movie. I can't even recall them all, but I must have groaned, or been unimpressed at least 20 times during my viewing. I can also only assume that the scientist who had himself downloaded into all those old school computers was backed up on a thumb drive, or also being stored in another bunker. It wouldn't surprise me if that dude was downloaded into an android body and he's the next bad guy for Cap 3.

A far more interesting ending would have been if it never got out into the public that Cap was fighting against the Hydra infiltration of SHIELD, and Cap and his little gang were arrested and put in a hole for treason after causing all that destruction. Then when it's time for Avengers 2, Nick Fury and the other Avengers have to spring them to fight whatever baddie has popped up. That would have gotten a huge thumbs up for me.

*time being about one month from now.
Old 04-05-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Exactly. I'm telling you guys.

This movie isn't anywhere as good as some are suggesting and it is not going to stand the test of time*

Bringing Hydra back as the overall baddie was lazy writing (seriously couldn't come up with another idea fellas??? Oh Captain America is fighting against Hydra yet again...how original!). The good guys turn out to be the bad guys scenario has been done to death.

It's going to take some people multiple viewings to catch all the plot holes in this movie. I can't even recall them all, but I must have groaned, or been unimpressed at least 20 times during my viewing. I can also only assume that the scientist who had himself downloaded into all those old school computers was backed up on a thumb drive, or also being stored in another bunker. It wouldn't surprise me if that dude was downloaded into an android body and he's the next bad guy for Cap 3.

A far more interesting ending would have been if it never got out into the public that Cap was fighting against the Hydra infiltration of SHIELD, and Cap and his little gang were arrested and put in a hole for treason after causing all that destruction. Then when it's time for Avengers 2, Nick Fury and the other Avengers have to spring them to fight whatever baddie has popped up. That would have gotten a huge thumbs up for me.

*time being about one month from now.
you really know nothing about Marvel, specifically Captain America, do you? Hydra is one of the larger criminal organizations in the Marvel universe. Having them as the villains again, shows how deeply they penetrated Shield. It's not lazy to use them. It's called creating an overall arc for all the movies. Furthermore, it is a good way to to "shake up" the future movies, most specifically The Avengers, because it now appears there is no more Shield. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here as a result.
Old 04-05-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I thought the 1st one was the worst of all the MCU movies so far

I hated the first film, too.
Old 04-05-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't this also a story from the comics anyway?

If it is that raises 2 questions.
If it is a story fans could say that it is lazy writing and couldn't they have come up with a new story.
But for the fans who loved that storyline its nice for them to get that one the big screen.
Old 04-05-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by jdslater1
Isn't this also a story from the comics anyway?

If it is that raises 2 questions.
If it is a story fans could say that it is lazy writing and couldn't they have come up with a new story.
But for the fans who loved that storyline its nice for them to get that one the big screen.
The Winter Soldier is a story from the comics. Hydra infiltrating SHIELD, maybe from the beginning, is also from the comics. How it was all put together in this movie is entirely new.
Old 04-05-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I can also only assume that the scientist who had himself downloaded into all those old school computers was backed up on a thumb drive, or also being stored in another bunker. It wouldn't surprise me if that dude was downloaded into an android body and he's the next bad guy for Cap 3.
Arnim Zola in the comics:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.