Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elvis Presley’s ’68 Comeback Special to Hit Movie Theaters This Summer.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Elvis Presley‘s legendary television special Elvis, better known as the “’68 Comeback Special,” will be screened in movie theaters this summer to mark the 50th anniversary of its airing.

The screenings will take place on Presley’s death, August 16th, and again on August 20th.

The owner of Elvis Presley Enterprises, Authentic Brands Group–which also owns and manages branding for Marilyn Monroe and Shaquille O’Neal, among others–is arranging the screening with Fathom Events. The screenings will take place on Presley's death, August 16th, and again on August 20th.

“Seeing Elvis onscreen is one of the most memorable and influential brand experiences and we look forward to bringing this special and future events to audiences around the world,” ABG’s senior vice president of entertainment, Marc Rosen, said in a statement.

“ABG is recognized as a global leader in the brand space and the company’s commitment to creating immersive brand experiences aligns perfectly with Fathom’s dedication to providing our audiences with exclusive, interactive and memorable cinema events,” Fathom Events CEO Ray Nutt said.

“We look forward to working together on many exciting projects for cinema audiences worldwide, beginning with this rare concert experience for Elvis fans.”

Presley’s comeback special came at a time when the King had been appearing in movies rather than recording music or performing live.

It opened with footage of him dressed in a slick, black leather jumpsuit–curling his lip the way his fans remembered–and included a loose, “sit-down” set where he played his early hits with members from his backing band in the Fifties.

Elvis was hardly ever nervous–but he was then,” drummer D.J. Fontana told Rolling Stone in a feature about the special last year.

“We played a couple of songs, and it got loose after a while, and it turned out fine. He just had been out of the public eye for a long time.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...summer-628234/

I am hoping to go to the August 16th screening.
Old 08-02-18, 05:49 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Elvis Presley’s ’68 Comeback Special to Hit Movie Theaters This Summer.

I'm taking my mom to see Heartbreak Hotel in Chicago in a couple weeks. It's nice that the musical offers 2pm performances on weekends.

Many times, there are shows like this catered towards seniors but they only have performances/showings at 8pm which is much to late for their target audience.

I'll be curious when the showings for this movie concert will be.
Old 08-02-18, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

For a 50th anniversary Elvis screening, I'd prefer to see SPEEDWAY on the big screen.

Old 08-02-18, 10:39 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

What would be the benefit of watching this on a large screen? It was shot on video in 1968. Have they enhanced the sound? Of course not.
Old 08-03-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I'm taking my mom to see Heartbreak Hotel in Chicago in a couple weeks. It's nice that the musical offers 2pm performances on weekends.

Many times, there are shows like this catered towards seniors but they only have performances/showings at 8pm which is much to late for their target audience.

I'll be curious when the showings for this movie concert will be.
It's showing at 7:30 pm both days.
Old 08-04-18, 09:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What would be the benefit of watching this on a large screen? It was shot on video in 1968.
Unless there's a method for converting legacy videotape to high definition video/film/digital, it's gonna look terrible blown up for theatrical showings.