Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I hope he gets the Scream treatment and dies first.

The cast is rather large. There's going to be carnage.
If anyone cares to read a leaked, detailed synopsis. Holy shit, does this sound terrible.

Spoiler:

"The spaceship Covenant is transporting frozen embryos to a human colony on a faraway planet when they receive a distress signal from Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace), from the Prometheus expedition, which disappeared 10 years prior. The crew is brought out of hypersleep to answer to the signal, which leads to the death of the Covenant's captain, Branson (James Franco). His wife, Daniels (Katherine Waterson), is deeply affected by the accident, while Branson's first officer Archer (Billy Crudup) is made captain. The Covenant is piloted by Daniels's friend Tennessee (Danny McBride) and the crew is aided by an android, Walter (Michael Fassbender).

The Covenant follows Shaw's signal to Paradise, an uncharted forest planet and homeworld of the Engineers, the ancient extraterrestrials that seeded life on Earth and then sought to the destroy it. The Engineers' secret weapon, the black ooze, has spread through Paradise, turning it into a wasteland. The Covenant's crew ventures outside their ship and some of its members are exposed to spores released by plants infected by the ooze. It is determined they've contracted an alien pathogen and Archer has them quarantined aboard the Covenant.

Monstrous creatures known as "Neomorphs" burst from the infected crewmen's bodies and begin slaughtering the crew, forcing the survivors to flee into the forest, where they are rescued from the Neomorphs by David (Michael Fassbender), the sole survivor of the Prometheus crew. He reveals that Shaw sacrificed herself to crash a spaceship against Paradise's surface, exposing the Engineers to the black ooze to prevent them from destroying Earth, leaving him stranded on Paradise.

David leads the survivors back to the Engineers' derelict citadel, where he's been living ever since. Walter mistrusts David, who is not behaving in accordance with their programming, and finds out that David in fact murdered Shaw. David's mind has been warped by the numerous modifications that his creator, Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce), made to his programming during the Prometheus's expedition, and is obsessed with creating the "perfect organism". He exposed numerous lifeforms on Paradise, including Shaw, to the black ooze and, after numerous failed attempts, has created an alien egg, which produces a facehugger that latches itself to Archer, leading to the birth of a Primal Xenomorph.

Daniels and Tennessee realize David is controlling the Neomorphs and escape back to the Covenant with Walter in order to leave Paradise. Together, Daniels and Tennessee manage to kill the Primal Xenomorph and the Neomorphs and detonate explosives to destroy David's laboratory, with David himself apparently perishing in the explosion.

After escaping, Daniels and Tennessee place themselves back in hypersleep to continue their voyage to the colony, unaware that David has killed Walter and stolen his identity to leave Paradise. David secretly plants two alien egg embryos among the human frozen embryos that the Covenant is transporting to proceed to the next phase of his experiment.

Possibly the next movie will show how engineers were not THE benevolant higher power beings we wanted them to be,they were just a race being pawns of another higher race or higher power but stronger and a lot more advanced within the same race.The engineers we see in lv 223 and 426 are not the same we will see in covenant. The covenant ones are not as advanced...they are like a "primal indigenous" version of the true engineers who mastered the black goo chemical,this engineers are evil and the next sequels will cover more about them and what the black goo is trully capable of,i heard the idea we will follow is that the xenomorph as we know it was never the ultimate organism just one of the variations of the very first "creature" the chemical was made off, at this moment we see the xeno as the big bad beast(queen mostly) but i believe we will have another one to worship as the true perfect organisms.
Old 02-23-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
If anyone cares to read a leaked, detailed synopsis. Holy shit, does this sound terrible.

Spoiler:

"The spaceship Covenant is transporting frozen embryos to a human colony on a faraway planet when they receive a distress signal from Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace), from the Prometheus expedition, which disappeared 10 years prior. The crew is brought out of hypersleep to answer to the signal, which leads to the death of the Covenant's captain, Branson (James Franco). His wife, Daniels (Katherine Waterson), is deeply affected by the accident, while Branson's first officer Archer (Billy Crudup) is made captain. The Covenant is piloted by Daniels's friend Tennessee (Danny McBride) and the crew is aided by an android, Walter (Michael Fassbender).

The Covenant follows Shaw's signal to Paradise, an uncharted forest planet and homeworld of the Engineers, the ancient extraterrestrials that seeded life on Earth and then sought to the destroy it. The Engineers' secret weapon, the black ooze, has spread through Paradise, turning it into a wasteland. The Covenant's crew ventures outside their ship and some of its members are exposed to spores released by plants infected by the ooze. It is determined they've contracted an alien pathogen and Archer has them quarantined aboard the Covenant.

Monstrous creatures known as "Neomorphs" burst from the infected crewmen's bodies and begin slaughtering the crew, forcing the survivors to flee into the forest, where they are rescued from the Neomorphs by David (Michael Fassbender), the sole survivor of the Prometheus crew. He reveals that Shaw sacrificed herself to crash a spaceship against Paradise's surface, exposing the Engineers to the black ooze to prevent them from destroying Earth, leaving him stranded on Paradise.

David leads the survivors back to the Engineers' derelict citadel, where he's been living ever since. Walter mistrusts David, who is not behaving in accordance with their programming, and finds out that David in fact murdered Shaw. David's mind has been warped by the numerous modifications that his creator, Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce), made to his programming during the Prometheus's expedition, and is obsessed with creating the "perfect organism". He exposed numerous lifeforms on Paradise, including Shaw, to the black ooze and, after numerous failed attempts, has created an alien egg, which produces a facehugger that latches itself to Archer, leading to the birth of a Primal Xenomorph.

Daniels and Tennessee realize David is controlling the Neomorphs and escape back to the Covenant with Walter in order to leave Paradise. Together, Daniels and Tennessee manage to kill the Primal Xenomorph and the Neomorphs and detonate explosives to destroy David's laboratory, with David himself apparently perishing in the explosion.

After escaping, Daniels and Tennessee place themselves back in hypersleep to continue their voyage to the colony, unaware that David has killed Walter and stolen his identity to leave Paradise. David secretly plants two alien egg embryos among the human frozen embryos that the Covenant is transporting to proceed to the next phase of his experiment.

Possibly the next movie will show how engineers were not THE benevolant higher power beings we wanted them to be,they were just a race being pawns of another higher race or higher power but stronger and a lot more advanced within the same race.The engineers we see in lv 223 and 426 are not the same we will see in covenant. The covenant ones are not as advanced...they are like a "primal indigenous" version of the true engineers who mastered the black goo chemical,this engineers are evil and the next sequels will cover more about them and what the black goo is trully capable of,i heard the idea we will follow is that the xenomorph as we know it was never the ultimate organism just one of the variations of the very first "creature" the chemical was made off, at this moment we see the xeno as the big bad beast(queen mostly) but i believe we will have another one to worship as the true perfect organisms.

Hmmmm, sounds about right to me.

Spoiler:
Poor Elizabeth Shaw.

Old 02-23-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Just saw the 4 minute Alien: Covenant "Last Supper" teaser and read the leak...

Spoiler:
Started off pretty solid actually. I like the actors, and like someone said already, has the original ALIEN vibe. Then they recreate the original chest burster scene with even some of the same dialogue ("the food's not that bad"), and right before xenomorph pops out of her chest...the android hits her across the back and we see she was just choking on her food!
Meta humor like that takes me right out the movie. I wonder if this scene will even be in the actual movie.

The new Ripley looks cool though. Has great a likability factor already.

But after seeing this, and reading the supposed leaked synopsis, it doesn't sound that great. The Christian allusions are way too heavy handed for a 2017 movie.

Oh snap, I just noticed this...Tennessee...Dallas. Trying to hit all the same notes from the first two "good" Alien movies. We even get a Bishop AND an Ashe!

Old 02-23-17, 09:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

really didn't impress. Hope I'm wrong and I liked Prometheus.
Old 02-23-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I thought that was a pretty nice little snippet. I don't think any new film in the franchise will ever live up to the 1-2 punch of Alien/Aliens but I still think there's room for some interesting stories.
Old 02-24-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Hmmm ... I dig the recapturing of the "truckers in space" vibe ... I actually liked the fake out ... but there just wasn't anything there to get me excited.
Old 02-24-17, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Hmmm ... I dig the recapturing of the "truckers in space" vibe ... I actually liked the fake out ... but there just wasn't anything there to get me excited.
That was kinda what it was about: both the space truckers vibe, and the fake out was a kind of meta joke from the filmmakers saying "we know what you want from these movies".
Old 02-24-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the prologue looked neat. Then I read the synopsis and that doesn't sound that great. Sounds better than Prometheus but still not great. Looks like they are trying to set up a trilogy to tell this story and I don't thin it's a story that can hold interest for a trilogy.
Old 02-24-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Hmm, yeah I hope the wink, wink references to the original are kept to a minimum. This clip didn't give me a great deal of confidence...but hopefully it's just a separate thing they filmed and not in the film itself. And looks like they've checked off most of the boxes for types of characters to have...
While watching this trailer, I kept thinking it was a parody and waiting for the punchline.

I was almost expecting one of the Wayans brothers to rip out of someone's chest.

Last edited by orangerunner; 02-24-17 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-24-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

So let's see

- Based on a script by the writer of Transcendence, then revised by one of the writers of Green Lantern, and then revised again by one of the writers of Gladiator
- Friday the 13th like first trailer (loved the shower scene )
- Uninteresting prologue
- A messy synopsis

Sounds like a winner to me.
Old 02-24-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
So let's see

- Based on a script by the writer of Transcendence, then revised by one of the writers of Green Lantern, and then revised again by one of the writers of Gladiator
- Friday the 13th like first trailer (loved the shower scene )
- Uninteresting prologue
- A messy synopsis

Sounds like a winner to me.
Not Transcendence....I'm out with that alone.
Old 02-24-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws

Spoiler:

So...the plan is to
Spoiler:

1) Try and do a "best of Alien" with the story with space truckers getting a distress call and going to investigate.
2) Do little or nothing to progress the story set up in Prometheus, flim flamming the audience again.

I read the credentials of the screenwriters they hired to write and re-write and that amazes me. Aside from Logan whose work is slightly above average at best, it looks like they just hired one hack to fix the work of another hack. Why not get some people who may actually see something in telling this story than getting a paycheck?

Also, why the f$%k would they go off onto an alien world with NO helmets? I don't care if the preliminary readouts say the atmosphere is safe, it's an alien world and your machine might not be fully 100% accurate with its readings!!!!
Old 02-24-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Now I know I have moved to the "don't give a fuc\
Old 02-25-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crazy as it may sound, I would now trust this franchise in the hands of Jordan Peele more than I would Ridley Scott.
Old 02-28-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New poster and a new trailer coming tomorrow.

Old 02-28-17, 12:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Good advice. Hide from going into all theaters showing this. My eagerness has dwindled fast for this one.
Old 02-28-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

New trailer tomorrow, I can't wait.
Old 02-28-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Is it just me or does the last trailer make this look like a carbon copy of Prometheus? I am still open to this as i don't hate that movie as much as many seem to, but cautiously optimistic.

Oh, and can someone please put to rest the fact that every captain of a spaceship is basically a cowboy and wears a stetson. Literally every single sci-fi movie does it.
Old 02-28-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Is it just me or does the last trailer make this look like a carbon copy of Prometheus? I am still open to this as i don't hate that movie as much as many seem to, but cautiously optimistic.

Oh, and can someone please put to rest the fact that every captain of a spaceship is basically a cowboy and wears a stetson. Literally every single sci-fi movie does it.
I think it's a coincidence. Shit like that also happens in regular military and action films. Look at Predator -- Jesse Ventura is the fucking cowboy of the bunch.
Old 02-28-17, 03:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yawn. I feel like I've seen the same lazy uninspired poster, a variation of the chest burster pod, for this and every fucking Alien related movie since the first movie came out.
Old 02-28-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TGM
yawn. I feel like I've seen the same lazy uninspired poster, a variation of the chest burster pod, for this and every fucking Alien related movie since the first movie came out.
It's trying to trick you into thinking that it will be just like the original.

Old 02-28-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

New trailer leaked if anyone here even cares ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntu276uo1u...0480P.mp4?dl=0
Old 02-28-17, 07:34 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TBUc4JVl2-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-28-17, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS?
New trailer leaked if anyone here even cares ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntu276uo1u...0480P.mp4?dl=0
So...doing a remake of the first one and then calling it a prequel? I honestly hoped I would never see Scott reach this kind of low.
Old 02-28-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm ready to watch this. I'll always defend Ridley Scott.

I was a little let down that they again have people exploring an alien planet with little-to-no safety precautions. Maybe they'll explain that away this time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.