Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So...doing a remake of the first one and then calling it a prequel? I honestly hoped I would never see Scott reach this kind of low.
Yeah... It looks like it's Alien mashed up with an Aliens prequel. Nothing looks new here, and it looks like it could be one of those forgettable Aliens comic books that Dark Horse was churning out in the 90s.

5/8 Alien + 1/8 Resurrection + (1/4 Aliens - Marines) = Covenant

I'd rather see what Blomkamp was trying to get made...
Old 02-28-17, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

So in addition to the writer of Transcendence (Jack Paglen), one of the writers of Green Lantern (Michael Green), and one of the writers of Gladiator (John Logan), there is yet another writer tied to this. The writer of the first draft of Edge of Tomorrow (Dante Harper). The Alien : Covenant writers of the first draft (Jack Paglen) and the first re-write (Michael Green) are being given "story by" credits instead of "screenplay by."

This gets better by the minute.

Last edited by inri222; 02-28-17 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Underwhelming trailer. I've still generally been supportive of the movie and project as well as Ridley Scott but it definitely doesn't seem to be much new here.

Prometheus at least seemed more interesting in concept, this feels like more of the same as far as Alien/s sequels go.
Old 02-28-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

While I did like this trailer so much more than the teaser, there really isn't anything new here. And.....really miss Noomi
Old 02-28-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

"It's not a rip-off of Alien! These creatures burst from the back not the chest! It's a totally fresh spin!"

I don't ever want to hear bashing of Alien 3 again...
Old 02-28-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks great. Can't wait to see this.
Old 03-01-17, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I'm ready to watch this. I'll always defend Ridley Scott.

I was a little let down that they again have people exploring an alien planet with little-to-no safety precautions. Maybe they'll explain that away this time.
The last shot of the alien breaking into the ship with it's head looked cool. It looked closer to Giger's design, looked someone spider-like, and I liked being able to see it in an open, overcast environment as opposed to always seeing the aliens in darkness.

I kind of want to see Michael Fassbender
Spoiler:
as a good guy here.

The rest though looked like "been there, done that" especially with the alien scrambling through a tight air duct/corridor.

There's so much they could explore with the Alien mythos, without having to go back to the same well. They could even do the allusion to Dante's Paradise Lost without having to be so heavy handed about it.

Then again, this is only a trailer, but they're doing nothing to convince me that this is going to be introducing new ideas that significantly expand the story.
Old 03-01-17, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Well they tried something new, and fans hated it. So they're going back to the well, and fans will probably hate it. I'm fine with slick looking B pictures featuring the xenomoprh, though I was excited to see what Neil Blonkamp could do with the franchise.
Old 03-01-17, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Well they tried something new, and fans hated it. So they're going back to the well, and fans will probably hate it. I'm fine with slick looking B pictures featuring the xenomoprh, though I was excited to see what Neil Blonkamp could do with the franchise.
The problem wasn't with trying something new, it was with how it was executed. Prometheus was extremely underwhelming, cliche'd, and a little insulting to the audience's intellect.

I agree with your description of "slick looking B picture." I like the majority of the actors I see in the trailer, and the ship/technology looks good too. But with all the films I still haven't seen on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu I can't see myself going out of my way to see this film.

If FOX insists on making new films in the ALIEN universe they gotta step up their game and not rely on the xenomorphs. They just don't pack the same punch.

and octopi and rattlesnakes were poor attempts at replacing them.
Old 03-01-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Fuck yeah, I am excited.
Old 03-01-17, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
I don't ever want to hear bashing of Alien 3 again...
That film definitely had atmosphere to it, it 'felt' like you were on another planet.... and that really hasn't been matched by any of these spinoffs, sequels, etc. All the films since have had a pretty generic look and feel. Obviously Scott's latest films 'look' very pretty...but the environments aren't that interesting...or scary.

Part of what made the first two so great was the inhospitable nature of LV-427....just hearing the storms and wind roaring outside in a simple shot added a ton of tension to them. (Alien 3 continued this technique as well - a matte painting and audio doing the work) You just don't have that with these characters walking around outside like they're on a day hike.

A CG alien in broad daylight just doesn't do much for me...and I'm guessing probably not for most movie-goers now. (thanks to the string of poor films the past two decades) The film doesn't feel 'Alien' to me...I wish it did. Still rooting for it of course, hope it does enough business for Scott to do another one.

Last edited by Artman; 03-01-17 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The trailer did enough for me to be interested. Like a lot of Scotts movies, it at least looks beautifully shot.

I have been trying to place the main actress in the movie and its just occurred to me, she was in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. That movie really underwhelmed me, but she came across as such a wet fish throughout and she aggravated the hell out of me. Judging by the trailer its gonna be more of the same in Covenant. Why is it that these Alien movies continually insist that the main character be a woman? Yeah i get the whole birthing analogies, but for fucks sake.....lets see a guy take a lead role for once. Noomi Rapace had a similar wet blanket character in Prometheus.
Old 03-01-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Odd design with the sort of spindly long legs.
Old 03-01-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

After Cameron made the Aliens basically space gymnasts it took some of the mystery away from the creatures. Sure it worked well for the movie Aliens, but the original monster from the first movie seemed to be more methodical and hunted rather than chased. I wish the creature would go back to being more like that.

I also liked the transparency of the head of the original Alien. Something else that seems to have been lost.
Old 03-01-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The characters are even paired off in couples. Ch-ch-ch-ah-ah-ah.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/fil...xenomorph-saga

Prometheus came in for criticism for trying to widen the Alien mythos via the introduction of a portentous backstory with pseudo-religious overtones. Scott has hinted that the Engineers created mankind billions of years ago, but turned against us about 2,000 years ago, when the naughty Romans killed Jesus (who, it turns out, was at least part-Engineer, so really bad move, guys!)
Alien: Covenant meant to return the saga to its slasher-flick-in-space roots, and the trailer certainly bodes well for those hoping to fill their boots with body horror futurism.
But we’ve seen bumbling space morons wandering blindly into xenomorph hell dozens of times in these films, and if the new movie is to succeed it will have to offer a fresh take on the well-worn template. Hey you, myopic astro-idiot, leave the mysterious space goo alone, stay away from the freaky, steaming giant eggs, and just take off and nuke the site from orbit already.
Old 03-01-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
The problem wasn't with trying something new, it was with how it was executed. Prometheus was extremely underwhelming, cliche'd, and a little insulting to the audience's intellect.
I agree, but the script had some major issues, so Prometheus probably ruined any chances of taking the franchise in a new direction. Scott or Cameron are the only ones who have any pull to do something bold with these movies, but what we need is a director who also gives a fuck about the story. It gets really difficult when a series has been going on this long, you want something new, but also the audience has certain expectations because of what came before, and the lack of xenomorphs will be an issue for a big portion of the audience. If not, the studio probably thinks it will be.
Old 03-01-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

...what we need is a director who also gives a fuck about the story.
Denis Villeneuve & David Fincher have better things to do.
Old 03-01-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
Denis Villeneuve & David Fincher have better things to do.
I was interested in Neil Blonkamp's Aliens sequel, but it seems like Scott took control of the franchise and killed that movie. Is that even still happening?
Old 03-01-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was interested in Neil Blomkamp's Aliens sequel, but it seems like Scott took control of the franchise and killed that movie. Is that even still happening?
I don't think the guy who made Elysium & Chappie could have done anything to save it. The last thing I heard is that the chances of Alien 5/Ali3n/Alien 3 Redux/Alienss (or whatever it's called) are "slim" because Scott still has to make Prometheus 3 & 4/Covenant 2 & 3 (or whatever they're going to be called). I'm getting a headache just thinking about the timelines, prequels, sequels, titles, etc... What a mess.
Old 03-01-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just about the only positive things I can say after watching that trailer are the film will undoubtedly look gorgeous, and Danny McBride is awesome.

Otherwise, underwhelming.
Old 03-01-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by islandclaws
...the film will undoubtedly look gorgeous.
RS should have been a cinematographer.
Old 03-01-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So...doing a remake of the first one and then calling it a prequel? I honestly hoped I would never see Scott reach this kind of low.
Goddamnit Doc, how many times do we have to go over this? It isn't a remake and it isn't a prequel. It is a sequel to the movie that was not a prequel of the original and its sequels because it had nothing to do with the original except for all the things that were actually directly tied to both films.

It's like cousins who like to have sex with each other. Nobody condones it, but they just make such a good couple.

Did I mention "fuck you Ridley"?
Old 03-01-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it looks pretty entertaining and a hell of a lot better than Prometheus which even if it weren't attached to the Alien franchise would be self important tripe. Not sure about the Xenomorph moving like a spider though.
Old 03-01-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the trailer for Prometheus better. It was more mysterious and seemed to hint at a lot of crazy things (that never happened btw).

The xenomorph at the end of the Alien: Covenant trailer has cool design but it clearly looks CGI, especially the way it moves. I re-watched the original ALIEN and the xenomorph looks so much better, and it enhances the scenes because you can tell it's really in the same space as the actors.
Old 03-01-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

At this point, I would be happy if this franchise would die and we get a graphic novel or sci-fi book written by a sci-fi author who respects the series to fill in the gap between Covenant and the first Alien movie. The only interesting thing that could come of another movie to complete the new series is that 20th Century Fox could find itself the distributor of not one but TWO lackluster prequel trilogies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.