Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Great actors you've never seen in a film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Great actors you've never seen in a film?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Great actors you've never seen in a film?

I'll make you guys a deal: you go see a John Wayne/Clark Gable/Charlie Chaplin/Burt Lancaster/Cary Grant/Katharine Hepburn, etc. movie...

...and I'll go see a couple of Jennifer Lawrence movies. And if you're really diligent about it, I'll throw in a Ryan Reynolds movie.

Fair enough?

(Hey, at least I've seen things with Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner.)
Old 03-08-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Still need to see this. Worth blind buying the BD?
I've only seen the Italian version. Good, but I thought it was a tad bit long. Still anxious to see the English version (The disc comes with both)

Even "Grindhouse Releasing" knows that Burt's the man.

^Saw it for the first time last fall. Blown away by it!
Old 03-08-14, 02:12 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Nothing against you, but are you gay? Once you see Jennifer Lawrence, you will want to see more. She is amazingly atttactive. She is a very good actress to boot.
Old 03-08-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Nothing against you, but are you gay? Once you see Jennifer Lawrence, you will want to see more. She is amazingly atttactive. She is a very good actress to boot.

Hey, I've been touting J-Law all over that ...vs. Amy Adams thread! I'm totally smitten with her from every interview and awards show appearance of hers I've seen. (The best thing from the Oscars was that shot of her in the front row eating pizza.) She just has yet to make a movie I want to see badly enough. My daughter keeps touting the Hunger Games movies to me.
Old 03-08-14, 05:10 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by creekdipper
The terms "great actor" and "Frank Sinatra" seem pretty incongruent.

Sinatra could be good in proper roles (From Here to Eternity, Manchurian Candidate, Von Ryan's Express) and could play a good villain when required. But he was more of a 'personality' who kind of slummed his way though most of his Rat Pack movies.

I think of Sinatra the actor like Elvis... lots of potential which was largely wasted.

(btw, I'd recommend all three of the movies mentioned above)
Well, never seen one of his movies so I wouldn't know, I just know of The Rat Pack and my grandma was a fan of his. In fact I don't think I've seen any movie starring anyone on The Rat Pack unless Jerry Lewis was in the Rat Pack then I've seen King of Comedy on AMC, decent movie.
Old 03-08-14, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Hey, I've been touting J-Law all over that ...vs. Amy Adams thread! I'm totally smitten with her from every interview and awards show appearance of hers I've seen. (The best thing from the Oscars was that shot of her in the front row eating pizza.) She just has yet to make a movie I want to see badly enough. My daughter keeps touting the Hunger Games movies to me.
...no. The hunger games is pretty mediocre. Watch Winter's Bone, American Hustle, The Burning Plains, and Silver Linings Playbook.

The latter film has a lot of cliche elements but it actually puts some unexpected things in there too. Cooper and Lawrence are what elevate that film or making it work mostly.

She was alright in X-Men: First Class but that movie is all about Fassbender and McAvoy being awesome.
Old 03-09-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I wouldn't call him a great actor. Legendary? Sure. But he's never impressed me with his acting. The man had great presence in anything he did for a role but on the acting scale he's no Toshiro Mifune or Tony Leung or Meryl Streep level of great.
I'm sure if you started listing the greatest actors in non-English movies, I'd run down pretty fast. A few French, a few Italian, a few Japanese, a couple Chinese . . . and then done.
Old 03-09-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
We're really stretching for new topics now aren't we.
Perhaps you can find a topical 12-year-old thread to bump instead.