Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Last of Us - news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 04:07 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
The Last of Us - news, rumors, etc.

I wonder if Ellen Page will star?

EXCLUSIVE: Screen Gems has signed on to distribute The Last Of Us, a live-action adaptation of the PlayStation 3 vidgame from Naughty Dog. Neil Druckmann, the Creative Director for the game, will write the script. The creative architects will be Naughty Dog co-presidents Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra, as well as Druckmann and Game Director Bruce Straley. They’ll team with Sam Raimi and his Ghost House Pictures banner.

The logline: Hardened survivor Joel teams with young and capable companion Ellie to journey through a radically transformed world some 20 years after an infectious pandemic ravages humanity. The game has won numerous awards and has been a big seller since its release last summer.

“Screen Gems’ Brian Dukes and Eric Ling brought this game to my attention insisting we go after it, and when I saw the quality of the storytelling, I knew the audience for this project was far greater than just the gaming community and that Neil Druckmann must write the screenplay,” Screen Gems president Clint Culpepper said. “I am thrilled that SCEA’s Riley Russell was able to get me in front of Neil and Evan Wells to plead my case. Sam and his team at Ghost House round out the perfect team to help realize Neil’s vision.”

Naughty Dog Co-president Wells called the combination of Screen Gems and Ghost House “a perfect fit. Since our game released last June, we’ve talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn’t have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards.”

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W01L70IGBgE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-06-14, 04:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Sam Raimi to produce adaptation of video game "The Last of Us" for Screen Gems

David O. Russell is reportedly interested in directing. What drew him to the project was "the themes of religious redemption" and the "witty patter".
Old 03-06-14, 04:18 PM

Re: Sam Raimi to produce adaptation of video game "The Last of Us" for Screen Gems

Originally Posted by Groucho
David O. Russell is reportedly interested in directing. What drew him to the project was "the themes of religious redemption" and the "witty patter".
Don't give them any ideas...

Next it will be Jennifer Lawrence with Joe Pesci.
Old 03-06-14, 04:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

DOR might be an odd choice for this, but then again he can branch out can't he?
Old 03-06-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
She bailed on Drag Me to Hell so there might be some bad blood there. Not that Raimi is actually directing this. And Raimi is one to get butthurt over stuff like that as Robert Downey Jr's rubber tree can attest.
Old 03-06-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

This sounds like a terrible idea since it would be the equivalent of paying to watch someone else's playthrough of the game.
Old 03-06-14, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
She bailed on Drag Me to Hell so there might be some bad blood there. Not that Raimi is actually directing this. And Raimi is one to get butthurt over stuff like that as Robert Downey Jr's rubber tree can attest.
What about a rubber tree?
Old 03-06-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Supposedly Raimi gave RDJ a rubber tree as a gift when they began working on Oz and when Raimi visited again weeks later and saw the tree wilting away...

JAMES FRANCO AS OZ!
Old 03-07-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Supposedly Raimi gave RDJ a rubber tree as a gift when they began working on Oz and when Raimi visited again weeks later and saw the tree wilting away...

JAMES FRANCO AS OZ!
Seriously?
Old 03-07-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

Originally Posted by Groucho
Old 03-08-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a case of 'Walking Dead is popular, what can we make to make $$ off its fame'.
Old 03-08-14, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

A Last of Us film adaptation is a no-brainer given the huge success of the Bioshock, Uncharted and Halo films.
Old 03-09-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the game was so vivid and well done, a movie seems unnecessary.
Old 03-09-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Looks like a case of 'Walking Dead is popular, what can we make to make $$ off its fame'.
have you played the game? the story on the game is pretty spectacular. so while zombies are popular right now, i don't think this has anything to do with how popular they are now.
Old 03-09-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I once applied to Screen Gems, those cocksuckers never wrote me back. Fuck 'em in the ear. I hope Raimi gives them some bland vanilla cookie for a movie and the company gets dismantled into some food dispensary for the homeless.
Old 03-09-14, 07:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This sounds like a terrible idea since it would be the equivalent of paying to watch someone else's playthrough of the game.
Given how tedious actually playing the game is, I wouldn't mind this at all.
Old 03-10-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Given how tedious actually playing the game is, I wouldn't mind this at all.
To each his own. I enjoyed how sparse ammunition was in the game, forcing you to decide on the fly whether to risk open combat, stealth kills, or simply sneak passed your enemies.
Old 03-10-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by duff beer
I once applied to Screen Gems, those cocksuckers never wrote me back. Fuck 'em in the ear. I hope Raimi gives them some bland vanilla cookie for a movie and the company gets dismantled into some food dispensary for the homeless.
Your "Shtick" is old, tired, and not amusing.
Old 03-10-14, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Old 03-10-14, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still don't know or get what his shtick is. Motherfucker needs to relax on making threads though. Too many Duff threads.
Old 03-10-14, 12:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having played the game twice, I'm not sure the character dynamics would be as effective condensed down to a 2 hour movie. Plot-wise, it would be pretty easy to pull off.. but for me the whole point was the interaction between the two leads, which worked because of the slow build a 10+ hour game allows.

Best way I can think to fit it in... game spoilers
Spoiler:
I would mash up the Bill's Town and Tommy sequences, cut out Sam and Henry (which sucks, but no way to build those characters effectively with everything else going on - and that's time needed for Joel/Ellie bonding), and rewrite everything from Pittsburgh to the University to focus more on the road trip than the stops.
Old 03-10-14, 12:55 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

This seems like it could be boring as hell. But then again, I'll watch about anything.
Old 03-10-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
??? Want to have a glass of water, sit down and tell me what's got you down?
Old 03-10-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They should just re-release and re-title The Road, dub any references to the boy being male, maybe add some CGI infected, and call it a day.
Old 03-10-14, 04:27 PM
Suspended

^ that could work, with how that kid acted like a little bitch for the whole movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.