Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When did independent film become so mainstream?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

When did independent film become so mainstream?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: When did independent film become so mainstream?

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Shit, even Magic Mike was an independent film.
yep. Nobody wanted to finance "the male stripper movie". Then when Channing Tatum became a star, Warner decided 'what the hell' & picked it up & released it.

Even the Wolf of Wall Street is an indie. No studio would finance it due to the content of the script, so Red Granite Pictures ponied up the near 100 mil dollar budget
Old 03-03-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
yep. Nobody wanted to finance "the male stripper movie". Then when Channing Tatum became a star, Warner decided 'what the hell' & picked it up & released it.

Even the Wolf of Wall Street is an indie. No studio would finance it due to the content of the script, so Red Granite Pictures ponied up the near 100 mil dollar budget
Soderberg and Tatum financed the film themselves - 8 million a piece, I think, and they reaped all the profits. Passion of the Christ was the same. Gibson financed it himself for like 20-25 million of his own money, it made like a bajillion dollars and he cleared 300 million in profit. That's how it's done.
Old 03-03-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
it's called the Sundance Film Festival -
Back when it first started it was all about the independents. Now not so sure...
Old 03-03-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The rise of DVD and the Internet at nearly the same time drove Indie filmmaking to new heights.
Old 10-07-19, 06:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
When did indie movies become so popular?

When did indie movies become so popular?
Old 10-07-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts
Re: When did indie movies become so popular?

That’s a little vague. Which one? Not many are financial hits, Many don’t make any money even with high critics ratings.
Old 10-07-19, 06:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Reservoir Dogs ushered in the 90’s indies era. That lasted roughly 15 years or so.
Old 10-07-19, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
That’s a little vague. Which one? Not many are financial hits, Many don’t make any money even with high critics ratings.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for being unclear. What I meant was why do so many major award shows and professional critics now seem to prefer indie movies to many other types of Hollywood movies. Is this a new trend?
Old 10-07-19, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit
Reservoir Dogs ushered in the 90’s indies era. That lasted roughly 15 years or so.
Thank you for your reply and that information. I didn't know that.
Old 10-07-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Hmm, I’d suggest another Tarantino film. It seems like the indie movie craze went wild after Pulp Fiction.

It can also also be argued that the improved quality of digital cameras also helped usher in indies in the mid-90s.
Old 10-07-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for being unclear. What I meant was why do so many major award shows and professional critics now seem to prefer indie movies to many other types of Hollywood movies. Is this a new trend?
Because it's safer to spend less on making an 'indie' film for awards than it is to gamble on spending a big budget on a new IP?
Old 10-07-19, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It can also also be argued that the improved quality of digital cameras also helped usher in indies in the mid-90s.
I was thinking about that. Digital cameras certainly made things cheaper/easier for independent film makers. Not to mention that with 35mm, it used to be almost impossible to get screen time because the studios had complete control over the distribution of the cans. I remember reading a book about that a long time ago but I forgot the title.
Old 10-07-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Even though I never saw what the big deal was about the movie, Drugstore Cowboy was one of the first trailblazing Indies that the movie publications wouldn't shut up about.
Old 10-07-19, 09:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Hmm, I’d suggest another Tarantino film. It seems like the indie movie craze went wild after Pulp Fiction.

Reservoir Dogs has been widely credited for boosting indie movies. The screenplay itself is one of the most studied in screenwriting courses. There's a ton of books that credit RD for how screenplays are written, and boast of it breaking new ground when it comes to indie films. Pulp Fiction solidified Tarantino as one of the kings of the indie film. Google "Reservoir Dogs impact" and you'll get a slew of articles about its impact on indie and pop culture in general.

In regards to your comment about the quality of digital cameras, I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Film was still prevalent, and it was far cheaper to still process film than to buy digital cameras in their infancy.

Last edited by E Unit; 10-07-19 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

It started in the latter half of the 80s with critical darling films like Blue Velvet, Drugstore Cowboy, and Sex, Lies, and Videotape.

But it really exploded in the early 90s with Miramax Films -- Reservoir Dogs and Quentin Tarantino, Clerks and Kevin Smith, The Piano, The Crying Game. Miramax was able to push indie and foreign cinema into the mainstream and turn it into easy Oscarbait.

I mean, shit, look at The Crying Game. That should have been seen by about five thousand people in an art house run, but everyone and their grandmother was talking about it for about six months.
Old 10-07-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I remember indie films like SHE'S GOTTA HAVE IT, CHAN IS MISSING, STRANGER THAN PARADISE, etc. starting the indie bandwagon going and then solidifying with the one-two 1989 punch of Spike Lee's DO THE RIGHT THING and Steven Soderbergh's SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE. Tarantino added to it, of course, with his first two films. PULP FICTION had the impact and exposure of a mainstream Hollywood film.