Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

At what point in Star Wars Episode 1 were your hopes crushed?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

At what point in Star Wars Episode 1 were your hopes crushed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: At what point in Star Wars Episode 1 were your hopes crushed?

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
People have said this multiple times as a huge fuck up but it still bothers me that Padme was older in Anakin in the first one then in the second 2 they were the same age.
When did they say they were the same age in Episode II?

I always assumed that in Episode I, Anakin was about 10 and Padme was about 15 and in Episode II, Anakin was about 20 and Padme was about 25.
Old 03-02-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Between the voices of Jar Jar, Boss Nass, the Italian slave owner, and the race announcers, episode I must rank among the top for worst voiced film in history.
I was just going to post this---Lucas' tin ear was more than 75% of the problem with this movie. I thought Watto was more of a Jewish stereotype voice, you had the asian accents in the beginning, and don't forget "Roger Roger." And, for an amateur like Jake Lloyd, Lucas didn't have the ear to tell that his deliveries were lame and didn't say to him "umm, let's do another take, and try not sound like an over-precocious child actor". Instead, Lucas said "That's great Jake---print it!". I'm surprised Lucas didn't try to have John Williams throw some Looney Tunes sound effects into "Duel of the Fates".
Old 03-02-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

My date left to use the restroom and never came back. I went to go look for her and found her giving a blow job to some guy in a Boba Fett costume.
Old 03-02-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
When did they say they were the same age in Episode II?

I always assumed that in Episode I, Anakin was about 10 and Padme was about 15 and in Episode II, Anakin was about 20 and Padme was about 25.
Officially, I believe they were supposed to be 9 and 13 in the first film.
Old 03-02-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
My date left to use the restroom and never came back. I went to go look for her and found her giving a blow job to some guy in a Boba Fett costume.
Old 03-02-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the rebels were caught in the Ewok net, my heart sank, I knew Star Wars was not to be a great legend. So I had very low expectations for anything to follow. I don't hate Episode One as much as others.
Old 03-02-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

So, how far into the movie did your hopes sink that this was going to be a shitfest?
When I heard that Anakin Skywalker was going to be eight years old in TPM.

And the trailer did NOTHING to assuage my concerns.

I went into the movie with low expectations, and they were met.
Old 03-02-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I had no SW hopes. I think the only thing I hoped for at that age was growing my generic mexican Mustache like every other Mexican boy.
Heck that's STILL how i roll after a sexy gf told me i look good with one. Whiskers yes.
Old 03-02-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I was thirteen when I first saw it and while I remember not loving it on the same level as the original trilogy even then I was in full on Star Wars mode and basically enjoyed it. It wasn't until I watched it when I was older that I realized it pretty much sucks. I think the obvious things are Jar Jar and the senate stuff being pretty boring. Also the mystery behind Vader was what made him interesting in the original films and the prequels ruined that I think. Also I became a lot more jaded on Lucas and his never-ending revisions to the films as time went on and he tried to make things from the original trilogy line up with the prequel trilogy better.
Old 03-02-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

After the bad word of mouth, I didn't bother to see the movie until after the trilogy came out on DVD. I was aware Jar Jar and expected him to be bad.

I got a twinge when I saw C3PO and R2D2. I got a twinge when I saw the dishonest Jewish trader. But all hope died with the pod race.
Old 03-02-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

You were 13 when Ep.1 came out? Criminy.

I think I realized something was amiss when I fell asleep on opening night only to awaken when Anakin was accidentally piloting a ship in the hanger.
Old 03-02-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I had grown up with the OT and saw each of three films several times in the theater and many more on VHS. I think I finally knew it wasn't the same anymore when friends asked if I wanted to see Episode I again at the theater and I said no. Plus all the CGI defecating Lucas did to the OT just made me care even less about the current state of the franchise. I won't even bother with the Abrams films because I actually hate his Star Trek abominations more than what Lucas has done to Star Wars.

I hope that one day Disney/Fox release the versions of the OT that I saw in the theater on blu-ray so I can pretend the prequels and the new trilogy don't exist and fall in love with Star Wars all over again.

It is however fun to constantly bitch and moan about Star Wars though.
Old 03-02-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You were 13 when Ep.1 came out? Criminy.

I think I realized something was amiss when I fell asleep on opening night only to awaken when Anakin was accidentally piloting a ship in the hanger.
Yep the 86 in my username refers to my birth year (original name I know ).
Old 03-02-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

"icky poodoo"
Old 03-02-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I was so let down I walked out pretty early on. The only thing that saved the night was when I stopped by the rest room on the way out I got a blow job from a random skank who liked my Boba Fett costume.
Old 03-02-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-02-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
/\ What the fuck, no spoiler tags?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It sucks.
Old 03-02-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I was so let down I walked out pretty early on. The only thing that saved the night was when I stopped by the rest room on the way out I got a blow job from a random skank who liked my Boba Fett costume.
Slow

Bravo, sir. Bravo.
Old 03-02-14, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I realized that the internet has ruined the movie going experience for the rest of my life.
Old 03-02-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

My hopes were dashed seconds into the opening crawl when it mentioned taxation and trade routes and Congress of the Republic. I just said to myself "what the fuck?"
Old 03-02-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While I didn't much like the film and recognized its many flaws, I was willing to go with it because it fit into the mythology of the films which I'd loved previously and had a couple of interesting action sequences. Then the DVDs of the OT came out, and I realized that this movie, which I didn't like, but was willing to tolerate, was part of Lucas' mad scheme to rewrite history and erase the versions I loved. It was then that any remaining charity I had towards a film which was at very best flawed completely evaporated.
Old 03-02-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

You win the Internet, sir.
Old 03-03-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Aliens talking like Koreans started dashing my hopes...then HE came....So that was what, like 10 minutes into the movie?

You nailed it. I could never get over the Alien's accents.
Old 03-03-14, 08:23 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

with all of the tinkering of the SW franchise, it would be nice if they went back and redubbed the Korean alien accents, Jar Jar's voice, the entire Gungan accent, and the stupid voice/sayings of the battle droids. Get rid of the "roger, roger" shit, make their robot voices more menacing... something as simple as that would likely change the whole tone of the prequels.
Old 03-03-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I was one of the few people who never thought the Prequels would exceed the Originals and argued with many friends back in 1998 that they were setting themselves up for a big letdown. I am pretty much having that same argument about the Sequel Trilogy now with them, and this time they agree with me as none of them are hyped for the new Trilogy.

Now I never expected awful stuff like Jar Jar, Little Anakin, Anakin/Padme romance, I was looking more at a macro sense of the trilogy: The Characters.

What made the Originals great and any movie great is the characters that fans fall in love with. Star Wars had Luke, Han, and Leia, and a great bad guy like Darth Vader, along with great side characters like Yoda, Kenobi, Chewy, R2, etc.

The Prequels would NEVER be able to re-create those lovable characters, as Lucas was going to put in all NEW characters into an existing universe we have come to love. There was no way that Anakin/Padme/Obiwan would be able to recreate the great chemistry, the great humor, the magic that the Luke, Leia and Han created on screen, so the Prequels already had a strike against them.

Then Lucas makes Anakin (Episode II & III) an unlikeable teenage doucebag, along with Padme being a monotone bore who loses the will to live? He is essentially asking you to watch 3 movies about 2 characters I could give a rats ass about when it is all said and done!

People can complain about Jar Jar, CGI, and all the other host of problems in the Prequels, but the main characters are the real reason they suck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.