Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walk (2015, D: Zemeckis) S: Joseph Gordon-Levitt --- Philippe Petit biopic

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-24-14, 08:16 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: I went out on a limb in January reporting how badly director Robert Zemeckis and TriStar head Tom Rothman sought out Joseph Gordon-Levitt to play the role of Man On Wire subject Philippe Petit for the 3D feature To Walk The Clouds, and now I can tell you that the young actor has committed to playing the French high wire artist who made a daring cross of the World Trade Center in 1974. Production will begin in May on this 3D experiential film that will be done with the spectacle of Avatar, Life Of Pi and Gravity, with a fun daring subplot that makes the film one part Ocean’s Eleven as Petit and his cohorts snuck to the top of the towers and managed to shoot a line across and get the rigging ready in time for Petit to shock the world in what is also a love letter to the Twin Towers and a simpler time gone by.

So this will be the first project to come from Rothman, who at Fox was smack in the middle of Avatar and Life Of Pi, and who really wanted to find something exceptional to brand the label he revived at Sony. This certainly fits the bill. It has also been a passion project for Zemeckis and his ImageMovers cohorts for several years. While Gordon-Levitt will have to adopt the accent, the fact that he was a gymnast in his teen years will help the cause in what will be a technically challenging film to pull off.

To Reach The Clouds is the title of Petit’s memoirs, and that is the working title of the film, and the director of Forrest Gump and Cast Away has already co-written the script with Christopher Browne. Zemeckis is producing with ImageMovers partners Jack Rapke and Steve Starkey. It’s one that Rothman grabbed onto after he watched Gravity in a theater and decided he wanted to launch with that level of difficulty, something that really had to be seen in a theater to fully appreciate the 3D. Rothman worked with Zemeckis on Cast Away and What Lies Beneath, so there is a long relationship there. Rothman’s lieutenant, David Beaubaire, ran point as an exec on the Zemeckis-directed Flight when he was at Paramount.

Here’s how I described the plot when I wrote about this last month. The actual tight rope walk, called the “artistic crime of the century”– doesn’t occur until the third act of a film, which is one part protagonist chasing a crazy impossible dream, and another part caper pic. After Cuaron’s accomplishment in Gravity, the prospect of seeing that famous tightrope walk orchestrated by Zemeckis in 3D seems to me like a recipe for spectacular film, particularly resonant in that it is framed around the iconic Twin Towers, shown in a simpler time in history. Much of the movie is about how Petit, guided by a mentor, managed with a small band of relatives and his girlfriend to carefully plan this, sneaking up to the top of the Towers at night. They hid until late evening when they strung a 450-pound cable from one building to the other. Petit then stepped off the South Tower for a 45-minute walk to the North Tower, using a custom made 26-foot long balancing pole. The feat was the subject of James Marsh’s 2008 Oscar-winning docu Man On Wire.

Gordon-Levitt will begin shooting this in May, and after that he will re-team with 50/50 cohorts Seth Rogen and director Jonathan Levine in the Christmas Eve comedy for Sony and Good Universe. After that, Gordon-Levitt will begin the second season of HITRECORD On TV, his open collaborative variety show for Pivot. In fact, knowing Gordon-Levitt and his love of social media, I believe he will be Tweeting this to make it official momentarily. He is repped by WME and Karl Austen.
Old 02-24-14, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: To Reach The Clouds (D: Zemekis) S: Joseph Gordon-Levitt --- Philippe Petit biopi

as much as i'd go out and see this... seems kind of redundant to watch a 3D re-enactment of what we saw really happen on the documentary. maybe it's just me?
Old 02-26-14, 01:21 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: To Reach The Clouds (D: Zemekis) S: Joseph Gordon-Levitt --- Philippe Petit biopi

There was no filmed footage of the walk up close. Only stills. And stuff filmed from the ground. So a reenActment might be worth doing.
Old 02-26-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

I like Zemeckis, I like Gordon-Levitt, so I'll certainly check this out.
Old 02-26-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, maybe at least we'll get a Region A Blu-ray release of Man on Wire.
Old 02-27-14, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
There was no filmed footage of the walk up close. Only stills. And stuff filmed from the ground. So a reenActment might be worth doing.
ohhh! you're right. for some reason i thought i remembered picturing shots from the rooftop. obviously been way too long since i saw it.
Old 07-14-14, 02:32 PM

Film is now called The Walk. What a generic title compared to the other.

Old 07-14-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: The Walk (2015, D: Zemekis) S: Joseph Gordon-Levitt --- Philippe Petit biopic

I guess JGL is going to be speaking with a French accent for this? Eh...
Old 07-14-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Walk (2015, D: Zemekis) S: Joseph Gordon-Levitt --- Philippe Petit biopic

I love how his girlfriend spends months helping him plan the walk and them immediately afterwards he fucks the first chick who hits on him while his girlfriend waits for him at the hotel.
Old 07-14-14, 02:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We're talking about JGL or Petit?
Old 07-14-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Derp
Old 12-09-14, 08:32 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zPReRDNyZUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-09-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

If done right, the 3D for this could be mindblowing and actually add a thrilling element not possible with standard 2D.
Old 05-23-15, 11:25 AM
Banned

Dunno about you guys but theaters have been showing this one a lot where I am. I'm honestly very tired of the trailer now.
Old 05-23-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JGL looks creepy with the blue contact lenses.
Old 06-04-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GR1EmTKAWIw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-04-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Looks like Zemekis studied David Fincher's Zen and the Art of making Buildings Interesting.

Not much interest in this movie though, the documentary wasn't my cup of tea either.
Old 06-04-15, 03:10 PM
Banned

Yeah. That looked kind of like a Fincher.
Old 06-04-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Cool. I want to see the depth of the 3D. Should be a great movie for 3D. I want to feel queasy while watching.
Old 06-04-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I enjoyed the doc enough that I don't feel like I need to see the film, but seeing this in IMAX 3D might be pretty damn cool.
Old 06-04-15, 03:54 PM
Banned

That is a quintessential Zemekis trailer. It showed absolutely everything.
Old 06-20-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw the trailer for this yesterday. When it first came on I thought it was another 9/11 based movie. Although the photography and spectacle looks amazing, I don't think I'll see this. It still bothers me seeing pictures of the twin towers. All I can picture are the jumpers and the crumbling buildings.
Old 06-20-15, 10:06 AM
Banned

For a time they stood proud. And one man used them to do something that transcended space, architecture, and urban conformity. The act was extraordinary. I'm not sure the film will be any good, but I'm glad it shines a light on the event.

Sadly it wasn't until after 9/11 that the guy's story began to be widely told. I first saw photographs published as a glossy coffee table book in 2002. From there was the doc and now the feature.
Old 09-29-15, 10:17 AM

Currently 83% on Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...contentReviews

Has a limited release this week. Opens wide 10/9.

Looking forward to this.
Old 09-29-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Was at a preview last night, the 3D was great, I am not so great with heights and I was getting nervous just sitting there. I had previously seen Man on a Wire so knew the story.

The story was "told" in a very unusual way. Not sure that I liked it.

Spoiler:
Was narrated my JGL standing on the Statue of Liberty torch

Spoiler:
I love how his girlfriend spends months helping him plan the walk and them immediately afterwards he fucks the first chick who hits on him while his girlfriend waits for him at the hotel.

Was not presented in this way. LOL

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.