Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Space Jam 2 (D: Malcolm D. Lee, P: Coogler) -- S: LeBron James

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Space Jam 2 (D: Malcolm D. Lee, P: Coogler) -- S: LeBron James

Old 09-19-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

re: Space Jam 2 (D: Malcolm D. Lee, P: Coogler) -- S: LeBron James

A little surprised Coogler is on board, but his work has been so good that it certainly makes me more intrigued about this then i would be otherwise (even if just in a producer role).
Old 09-19-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder when LeBron is going to film this. The season is coming up very soon. But, I suppose for this kind of movie, he just needs to drive up to the studio and act in front of the green screen for a few hours during his off days.
Old 09-19-18, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I wonder when LeBron is going to film this. The season is coming up very soon. But, I suppose for this kind of movie, he just needs to drive up to the studio and act in front of the green screen for a few hours during his off days.
Per the article: Production on the Warner Bros. film is tentatively slated for 2019, during the NBA offseason.
Old 09-19-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Okay I overlooked that. So looks like the soonest this may begin production would be around next May. Depending on how far the Lakers go on the playoffs.
Old 09-20-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When Jordan filmed Space Jam, it was the year after his 95 "comeback" season where he wasn't quite himself--and he wasn't happy about it. Part of his movie deal was that he would have access to a full basketball court, where other NBA players would fly in and they'd play pickup games. My understanding is they were incredible games.
Old 09-20-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is such a mistake. Kids donít care about the looney toons and even if Iím underestimating LeBronís popularity itís not half of what Michael was in the mid 90s . Not even getting into better player or person. There are just so many entertainment options now a days id be surprised if any us sports star reaches the worldwide celebrity of Jordan in the 90s.
Old 09-20-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I really donít know how well this is going to do. Looney Tunes are still recognizable characters but I donít think theyíre shown as widely as they used to be. Iím pretty sure Boomerang is the main station to show them which is more of a specialty channel.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-24-19 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-20-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember taking my daughter and her friends to SPACE JAM in '96 and they were all familiar with Looney Tunes and Michael Jordan was pretty damned famous. Now my nephews have children that they could take to this new film and I'm wondering if they'll even bother. I'll wait till the film comes out to ask them. (That's if I remember...nine months from now.)
Old 02-21-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FEBRUARY 21, 2019 5:23pm PT by Pamela McClintock, Aaron Couch

'Space Jam 2' Sets 2021 Release Date

Space Jam 2 has a date to bounce into theaters.

Warner Bros. has dated the film for July 16, 2021 for the Lebron James film.
Old 02-22-19, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...is this going to tank. Didn't 2003's "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" prove that no one was interested in a big-budget Looney Tunes movie again?
Old 02-22-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The fact that it stars LeBron James of all people means this will likely be a hard pass from me.
Old 02-23-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
The fact that it stars LeBron James of all people means this will likely be a hard pass from me.
Yeah it's crazy that it stars the most popular basketball player of the last ten years. Jodie Meeks would have been a better choice.
Old 02-23-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

LeBron says they're filming this summer after the Lakers season is over. So it's going to take over 1 year for the animation and post production? By the time this comes out LeBron will be finished with his 3rd year with the Lakers.

So I guess the extent of his filming this summer will be green screens and motion capture suits.
Old 02-23-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least we know that shooting won't have to be delayed until June.
Old 02-23-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Yeah it's crazy that it stars the most popular basketball player of the last ten years. Jodie Meeks would have been a better choice.
Despite being popular in the world of basketball I still donít think he has the charisma to carry a film. Maybe Iíll be proven wrong though.
Old 02-24-19, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

Despite being popular in the world of basketball I still donít think he has the charisma to carry a film. Maybe Iíll be proven wrong though.
He was great in Trainwreck I couldnít see MJ doing that well Iím apart like that.
Old 03-27-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MARCH 27, 2019 12:46pm PT by Borys Kit
'Star Trek: Discovery' Star Sonequa Martin-Green in Talks to Join LeBron James in 'Space Jam 2'

Ryan Coogler is one of the producers to the long-awaited sequel to the 1996 live-action/animation hybrid.

Star Trek: Discovery star Sonequa Martin-Green is going boldly where few have gone before: Space Jam 2.

The actress is in negotiations to star opposite LeBron James in the CG animation/live-action hybrid sequel to the popular 1996 movie.

Terence Nance is directing the feature project that once again combines Warners’ Looney Tunes and NBA stars. Plot details are being kept off the court and it is unclear who Martin-Green would play but it is understood to be the female lead.

Warners and the producers tested actresses earlier in the month with those on the shortlist traveling to the L.A. Lakers’ training facility in El Segundo for the final round, according to sources.

Ryan Coogler is producing Space Jam 2 with Charles Ebersol and Maverick Carter. James is exec producing with Justin Lin.

Martin-Green plays science officer Michael Burnham on Discovery, which streams on CBS All-Access, and is the fist black woman to lead a Star Trek series. Before landing that role, Martin-Green was a long-time supporting actress on AMC’s The Walking Dead, playing fan-favorite character Sasha Williams.

She is repped by Gersh.
Old 04-11-19, 11:36 AM

For the first time since 2005, LeBron James won't be heading to the NBA playoffs — and even off the court the L.A. Lakers star's bid for Hollywood domination appears to be hitting a small roadblock.

On April 5, CBS yanked his competition TV series Million Dollar Mile from its prime Wednesday slot after just two episodes and mediocre ratings at 3.6 million average viewers. And a day earlier, ESPN reported that basketball's biggest draw was having trouble recruiting fellow NBA stars for his Space Jam 2.

It's more complicated than it seems. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that fellow All-Stars Stephen Curry, James Harden and Kevin Durant likely won't join James on the celluloid court. But that has more to do with sneaker contracts and the film's script — the latest version is being penned by Black Panther's Ryan Coogler and Searching's Sev Ohanian — and less to do with James' ability to enlist high-profile ballers. In fact, Warner Bros. is responsible for roping in talent, not James.

As to why shoes matter, Nike is essential to the Space Jam franchise. The 1996 first film was based on the "Hare Jordan" commercial directed by Joe Pytka, who also helmed the feature. That makes the involvement of Curry (Under Armour contract through 2024) and Harden (Adidas) nearly impossible, sources say. Durant, though a key member of Team Nike, is pursuing his own Hollywood efforts, including an Apple series, Swagger, based on his life.

Those familiar with the script say Space Jam 2 will rely less heavily on a Dream Team of hoops luminaries than the Michael Jordan-led film, which saw more than a dozen real-life NBA stars cameo and grossed $231 million worldwide, not adjusted for inflation. Instead, LeBron's family arc is key, with a yet-to-be-cast teen character named Dom as the second lead, sources say.

Star Trek: Discovery's Sonequa Martin-Green already has been cast as LeBron's wife. (A best friend character named Malik, modeled after Maverick Carter, LeBron's childhood buddy and producing partner in SpringHill, also will play a significant role.) And Oscar-nominated cinematographer Bradford Young (Arrival) has signed on, signaling the film's quality mandate.

Meanwhile, Million Dollar Mile may still find a fan base, even though it has been jettisoned to a less-than-ideal Saturday night slot. And a Warners source says Space Jam 2 will continue on schedule with a July start date for director Terence Nance, just weeks after the NBA Finals end, leaving the door open for a champ to suit up.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ot-set-1200696
Old 05-17-19, 01:15 PM

Bugs Bunny Explains How LeBron Helped Him Get Sober For Role In ‘Space Jam’ Sequel

BURBANK, CA—Saying he wanted to thank the four-time NBA MVP for encouraging him to put his dangerous party days behind him, famed Looney Tunes star Bugs Bunny described Thursday how his friend LeBron James helped him get sober for their appearance together in the forthcoming Space Jam sequel.

Speaking candidly about his troubled past, the now-recovering rabbit told reporters he owed his life to James, who he said supported him through the darkest moments of his addiction, including multiple incidents in which the All-Star small forward found him passed out and barely breathing in his rabbit hole, surrounded by a pile of half-eaten carrots and a dozen empty jugs labeled “XXX.”

“After all those decades of drugs, women, and alcohol, I had definitely hit rock bottom,” said a noticeably emotional Bugs Bunny, who, after taking a long drag on a cigarette and letting the smoke puff out of his ears, confirmed he was three weeks sober. “One time when LeBron found me, I was as good as dead. All I remember is him shaking me and yelling my name, ‘Bugs, Bugs!’ Then my eyes popped open, spun like slot machines, and landed on three bottles, at which point I vomited coins all over him.”

“No one else wanted to stand up to me because I was a big celebrity,” the Looney Tunes star added. “But LeBron looked me right in the eyes and asked, ‘What’s up, doc?’—and I could tell he meant it.”

The newly clean Hollywood Walk of Fame inductee, who credits James with getting him into rehab, admitted he frequently lashed out on the set of Space Jam 2, at times going so far as to shoot cannons, guns, and rockets at his co-stars, including Blake Griffin, Porky Pig, and Rosario Dawson. According to sources, Bugs Bunny would often storm off the Warner Bros. lot by drunkenly digging underground and tunneling away, only to zigzag out of control and hit lamp posts or mailboxes.

Though he ignored the three-time NBA champion’s initial offers of help, Bugs Bunny said James finally got through to him with “a bit of tough love,” telling him, “You need to shape up,” and then proceeding to compress him into the shape of a ball, jump 10 feet through the air, and dunk him through a basketball hoop.

“That was a wake-up call I’d been waiting for my whole life,” the rabbit said of the incident, adding that the force of James’ dunk sent him crashing down through several sets of floors below and somehow lit his tail on fire. “When I came to, I had a huge lump on my head and there were all these tiny Bugs Bunnies flapping around my head in a circle. Then they stopped, looked at me, and said, ‘Bugs, you need help.’ And they were right.”

“Everyone else had given up on me, but LeBron, he peeled my flattened body off the floor, stuck a basketball pump in my mouth, and inflated me back to my normal self,” he continued. “He knew how to get through to me. The last conversation we had before he intervened, I was so hopped up on cocaine that my heart was beating three feet out of my chest and hitting him in the face.”

Witnesses on set told reporters the iconic hare suffered multiple relapses during production, straining the relationship of Space Jam 2’s top-billed pair. The final straw reportedly came when James threatened to quit the film after Bugs Bunny stumbled onto some railroad tracks while under the influence, stole a handcar, and crashed it into a wall that clearly just had a tunnel painted onto it.

“I wouldn’t have blamed him for walking away, but he gave me one more shot,” said the former addict, mentioning that Michael Jordan and Foghorn Leghorn haven’t spoken to him since the filming of the first Space Jam, when he was known to shoot up in his trailer with several female rabbits who looked exactly like him but wore makeup and women’s clothes. “Now, for the first time, I’m sober during rabbit season. And I no longer wake up hungover in strange beds, having no idea where I am because I got drunk and forgot to take a left at Albuquerque.”

“When I was at my lowest, I swear I heard the end-credit music of my life start to play and saw those big, red, concentric circles closing in on me,” he added. “Thanks to LeBron, though, I didn’t hear ‘Th-th-th-th-that’s all folks’ or see those words written out in a cursive script. And hopefully, I won’t have to for a long, long time.”
https://entertainment.theonion.com/bugs-bunny-explains-how-lebron-helped-him-get-sober-for-1834816124
Old 05-18-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still don't get the appeal of this. Do I want to see Bugs and the gang on the big screen again? Absolutely. With Lebron James? Meh. He may be a great guy off the court and an amazing philanthropist but he just comes across with the personality of a rock.
Old 05-19-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you believe Jordan has a great personality?
Old 06-19-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know no one cares, but this was just posted

Old 06-19-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if Anthony Davis will get paid $4M for his role if he waves his trade kicker
Old 06-19-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure I can say I'm excited about this one. Throwing a smorgasbord of players in there doesn't really make it more appealing.
Old 06-21-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They should bring Jordan and other legends into the mix as animated versions of themselves living in Tune World.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.