Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Unknown Weird Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Unknown Weird Movie

Old 02-18-14, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unknown Weird Movie

I was just on retrojunk and found this really weird description of a movie that I, myself, would really like to find.

A young boy visits a VHS store says that he wants something more crazy compared to the usual films he rents out. The store worker says he's got something crazy for him.. And gives him this really weird/metallic/crumpled foil looking VHS. He goes home and watches it and the film is really hypnotic. There are swirly/colourful animations and a man appears asking the boy to "Come closer, come closer" He then goes inside the VHS world. We think the man who called him is the master of this weird castle/world. He has to go through different levels to get to him. We think he was possibly trying to find his sister who went into the vhs too.. We remember one level where there is loads of popcorn he is trying to get through it all. One level where everything is in super slow motion and he is struggling to get through it.
We also remember there being a remote control device which somehow transported him through different channels/levels. This is about as much as we can remember.

More info - All the characters in the movie are real(not an animation) there were lots of basic special effects used such as swirling gradients etc used as a backdrop. It wasn't a super fun/action packed movie but quite dark/weird. If anyone has any idea about this movie is would be AMAZING!
Old 02-18-14, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Unknown Weird Movie

i, too would like to know what this is
Old 02-18-14, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

"Remote Control" with Kevin Dillon?
Old 02-18-14, 01:05 AM

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
"Remote Control" with Kevin Dillon?
Good call:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7obp1K6m3yQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QmMrSxCiSIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-18-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 575 Posts

Have they made any of those movies recently? The latest I can remember is Stay Tuned. It's always a fun concept.
Old 02-18-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember liking Remote Control. The part where Dillon has to come up with a fake name and comes up with... Robert.. McNutnee. Haha.
Old 02-18-14, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 228 Likes on 178 Posts

Sounds like Andy and the Airwave Rangers, which was later released on DVD under a different title I don't remember. I have the laserdisc, it was shot on video and produced by Roger Corman, and all the movies the kid enters are his, such as Battle Beyond the Stars.
Old 02-18-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Had to look that one up:

Andy Colby’s Incredible Adventure is a 1988 child’s science fiction film directed by Deborah Brock and written by Brock and Jed Horovitz about a boy who has to travel through several videos and static-filled channels in order to rescue his sister who was snatched into the television because she sat too close to it.

As it was thought the film's original release title would be confused with Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, the name was changed to Andy and the Airwave Rangers for 1989 video release. The film is referred to as a full-length "cheater" in that it takes advantage of film highlights gleaned from previous Roger Corman films Space Raiders, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, Deathsport, Chopping Mall and Wheels of Fire.
Old 02-19-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 228 Likes on 178 Posts

Interesting that "Andy Colby's Incredible Adventure" was the original title- the DVD was at Fry's for about a dollar, but I put it down after seeing it was the same movie I had on laserdisc.