Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Old 02-17-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I am trying to think off the top of my head of any major stars that are gay that have been in a leading role in a big-time romantic comedy or drama? Can anyone think of any?
Jodie Foster.
Old 02-17-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Anne Heche in Six Days Seven Nights.
Old 02-17-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Ian McKellan comes to mind.
I can think of examples of him being in "big-time" movies, and I can think of examples of him having the leading role in movies, but I can't think of a time when the two things happened simultaneously.

Also, a lot of people in this thread apparently didn't watch Page's (excellent) speech where she describes some of her own experiences and reasons for coming out. It's very heartfelt and genuine.
Old 02-17-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can congratulate her for deciding to let the world know this about her, but this really doesn't affect my thoughts on her one way or another.
Old 02-17-14, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
No, but I think creekdipper is implying that people in the entertainment industry aren't Christians. I think he's wrong, and that's my example as to why I think that.

In fact, I'd argue that a Christian is more likely to publicly thank God.
Not wanting to get too side-tracked (after all, I did try to steer the talk back from John Wayne impersonators to Ellen Page) but I'm not all that convinced by your example. If that's all it takes to "be Christian", then a whole bunch of rock stars, actors, athletes, rappers, etc. who are domestic abusers, drug addicts, temperamental divas who abuse their employees, serial adulterers, etc. are "Christian" (or, as someone pointed out, believe that God exists). I caught a bit of Woodstock the other night (came in during The Who) and the stage announcer said "God bless you" to the crowd just before the rain storm hit...probably the same announcer that advised the people how to distinguish between the good & bad drugs (Wavy Gravy?). And we've seen concerts in which well-known hedonists signed off at the end of the show the same way (without any sense of irony) right before retiring to the booze and groupies hand-picked for them by loyal roadies (according to journalists who were on tour with them).

I'd also point out that many celebrities get involved in an assortment of charities, so I'm not saying that all of the big names in the industry are terrible, completely selfish people. However, considering how the bigger names are scrutinized by the media, captured by paparazzi every time they go to the mailbox, have "biographies" published about them, etc., that those professing belief and doing traditional things (you know, like...attending church) would have that known.

There might be lists of very well-known Christian actors/actresses. I do know that there are lists of well-known celebrity atheists/agnostics (and I think Page is on that list). Considering that practically every movie beyond a G rating has copious amounts of swearing (and many cable shows have that), one might think that any sizable amount of Christian artists would suggest dialogue changes in the way they 'collaborate' in changing dialogue which they feel more appropriate.

Again, not wanting to start a big debate over this, especially since I really think that objective evidence weighs heavily toward my premise and away from yours. By the way, I also didn't say that nobody in the industry were Christians...I'm sure there are some who are Christians in the classic sense (as opposed to the very common statement that "I'm not religious, but I'm a very spiritual person"), but how many major stars can you name who are well-known for their Christian beliefs? You don't have to look far to name a whole host who are Jewish (culturally, at least).

Just saying that it's hard to put a lot of stock in a brief phrase when so their lives offer evidence to the contrary. In fact, it's hard to find even a one-page interview with a celebrity these days in which the person doesn't utter some obscenity or swearing...done in a completely casual, conversational manner.

Case in point: Mel Gibson was known as a prominent Christian, yet his actions didn't measure up (not just the drunken rant, talking more about leaving his wife & kids & fathering a child with his mistress).

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-17-14 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 03:47 PM
Banned

^ ^ ^

Posting this an edit since the other post was getting too long. Found a few lists of those identified as "Christian" in Hollywood, although it includes both 'traditional' Christian beliefs (Jesus Christ as savior) and those with more, let's say, "esoteric" beliefs.

Not a lot of power players: Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Tyler Perry, Chuck Norris.

Carrie Underwood was included due to her acting roles, as was Selena Gomez (of course, that list also included Justin Bieber).

Lower-tier: Stephen Baldwin, Evangeline Lilly, Patricia Heaton, Kirk Cameron, Angus T. Jones. Seems that I read that Jim Cavizel (however you spell his name) is a Catholic around the time that Passion came out.

Curious entries: Jane Fonda, Jay Mohr, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen. The latter three are professing Roman Catholics. Oh, and Alice Cooper claims to believe that every word in the Bible is literally true.

Anyway, Page is on the 'atheist' list, which is a stark contrast in terms of notoriety to the "Christian" list.

And I still like Juno.
Old 02-17-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I remember after X3 and around Juno, Page was getting the kind of buzz and press the Jennifer Lawrence after Winter's Bone- as an young and attractive (in a girl next door way) while extremely competent as a thesp. In retrospect, I surprised her career hasn't been more substantial.

One of the reasons I've always gone easy on X3 was how much I liked seeing Page as Kitty Pryde. That bit of casting was right up there with Jackman as Logan. The fact they shifted the focus of the DoFP storyline from Kitty to Logan for the new film, is a big reason I've had no enthusiasm for it.

As far as coming out- yeah this hasn't been that big a secret. In her SNL appearance a couple years back they had a gay-centric sketch with her, which I read as her being able to have fun with the issue without the full on baggage of coming out
Old 02-17-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a little more to it than that actually. Google John Palermo and his longtime "business partnership" with Hugh. Also you might want to look a little closer at HJ's Marriage to Deborah Furness. My understanding is that it's a not so hidden secret in the business that there's perhaps some bearding going on in that relationship. They have adopted two children.

Either way, rumors have been circulating a long time, and Hugh is supposedly a very sweet man, a true professional, very nice to everyone, and is quite the multi talented performer... so people don't like to dig too deep.

There's a lot of other stuff out there too in regards to Hugh's proclivities its just how far you want to dig. Make of it what you will
That happens with every good looking male actor. In the past 20 years Brad Pitt, Leonardo Dicaprio, Tom Cruise, Jackman, and Will Smith were rumored to be gay. I don't really think any of them are. Plus Jackman not too long ago went off on someone because he said he was tired of people claiming he was gay.
Old 02-17-14, 04:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by robin2099
That happens with every good looking male actor. In the past 20 years Brad Pitt, Leonardo Dicaprio, Tom Cruise, Jackman, and Will Smith were rumored to be gay. I don't really think any of them are. Plus Jackman not too long ago went off on someone because he said he was tired of people claiming he was gay.
Aaron Rodgers would approve your message!

I will say this about Page...she hasn't felt the need to have chest enhancement done to boost her popularity.
Old 02-17-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
how many major stars can you name who are well-known for their Christian beliefs?
Denzel Washington
Martin Sheen
Chris Tucker
Chuck Norris
Old 02-17-14, 05:40 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Mod note: Please stay on topic. This is not a religious or political thread. If it continues I will close.
Old 02-17-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Not wanting to get too side-tracked
That's exactly what you wanted.
Old 02-17-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Can't we stop all this religious BS and acknowledge the fact that Ellen Page only came out so Bryan Singer would look like an uber dick if he cuts her out of X-Men: Days of Future Past? You know he's dying to prune the female cast even more.
Old 02-17-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Can't we stop all this religious BS and acknowledge the fact that Ellen Page only came out so Bryan Singer would look like an uber dick if he cuts her out of X-Men: Days of Future Past? You know he's dying to prune the female cast even more.
But since Singer is gay too, she can't really claim he did it for homophobic reasons.
Old 02-17-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But since Singer is gay too, she can't really claim he did it for homophobic reasons.
No but he'd choose to spare her out of solidarity.
Old 02-17-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
No but he'd choose to spare her out of solidarity.
Ana Paquin is openly bi, and he already cut her out of the movie.
Old 02-17-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Ana Paquin is openly bi, and he already cut her out of the movie.
Obviously her being bi doesn't make her gay enough in his eyes. That made her exendable.
Old 02-17-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
Jodie Foster.
I always wonder if John Hinckley feels really, really silly now.
Old 02-17-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

I re-watched EP's speech and I have to say that it's very well written. Not sure if she wrote it herself or had someone write it for her, but I was even more impressed with how she delivered it.
Old 02-18-14, 02:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
That's exactly what you wanted.
Pardon me...I think you're looking for your Grey Poupon.

Respectfully submitting that I don't presume to read any other poster's mind and also to point that the two pages immediately before my first post were almost exclusively devoted to speculation about Travolta, Spacey, Jackman, & John Wayne...i.e., Ellen Page was only mentioned perhaps 3 times in those pages. Also, I was responding to several comments that had previously been posted...and, in addition to posting my views on those comments, I also continued to discuss Page and any possible effect her announcement might have on her career.

I honestly fail to see why you see a difference in intent in my replying to previous comments made in this thread which were evidently fair game, and how actually discussing Ellen Page in an Ellen Page thread is somehow considered more off-topic than discussing rumors about Hugh Jackman in an Ellen Page thread.

Not the least bit offended, mind you. Just wanting to point out that objective criteria in evaluating posts is a good thing and that perhaps posts would be better judged that way rather than projecting the author's intent based upon our own biases. For instance, I could say that you weren't objectively expressing an original thought but were just merely wanting to pick a fight. However, that wouldn't be fair since I don't know that. Does that sound reasonable?

I also was very complimentary of Page's work as an actress and stated how I enjoyed her movies. I'm not sure what intent came through there...I dunno, maybe that I like her work as an actress?

Anyway, now we can all get back on-topic and discuss Nathan Lane's impersonation of John Wayne!
Old 02-19-14, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I always wonder if John Hinckley feels really, really silly now.
He should she looks really great for her age.
Old 02-19-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I remember after X3 and around Juno, Page was getting the kind of buzz and press the Jennifer Lawrence after Winter's Bone- as an young and attractive (in a girl next door way) while extremely competent as a thesp. In retrospect, I surprised her career hasn't been more substantial.

One of the reasons I've always gone easy on X3 was how much I liked seeing Page as Kitty Pryde. That bit of casting was right up there with Jackman as Logan. The fact they shifted the focus of the DoFP storyline from Kitty to Logan for the new film, is a big reason I've had no enthusiasm for it.

As far as coming out- yeah this hasn't been that big a secret. In her SNL appearance a couple years back they had a gay-centric sketch with her, which I read as her being able to have fun with the issue without the full on baggage of coming out

Page is more of a character actress and will have a long career if she chooses to follow that route. Lawrence is more of a star...or at least it seems that way for now. I suspect that the bloom will eventually fade from the rose in her case and casting directors will soon be looking for the next Jennifer Lawrence. At some point, she'll star in a sitcom or ensemble drama series and make a comfortable living but without the outsized attention she's getting now. Ellen Page is unique and will always be well-suited for certain kinds of roles (think Parker Posey).

Having said all that, I still want to see Lawrence and Page star in a western together. (A competent remake of BAD GIRLS, maybe?)
Old 02-19-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Jennifer Lawrence already did the sitcom thing, though she will probably be back to it.

They're both really good actresses, so hopefully they make their right choices. It's funny seeing all of Jennifer Lawrence's old roles getting released now that she's famous (House at the End of the Street, The Devil You Know).
Old 02-19-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Jennifer Lawrence already did the sitcom thing, though she will probably be back to it.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Lawrence is more of a star...or at least it seems that way for now. I suspect that the bloom will eventually fade from the rose in her case and casting directors will soon be looking for the next Jennifer Lawrence. At some point, she'll star in a sitcom or ensemble drama series and make a comfortable living but without the outsized attention she's getting now.
I just want to understand the thinking here.

Jennifer Lawrence is a 23 year old movie star and sex symbol. She has three Oscar nominations, and has already won the Best Actress award. She is the star of a franchise that will probably end up earning close to 3 Billion dollars at the box office. She has proven her ability in drama, action, and (dark) comedic roles.

She's going to end up on a sitcom?

Are either of you familiar with the careers of Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock?
Old 02-19-14, 02:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Julia "Friends" Roberts and Sandra "George Lopez" Bullock?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.