Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The Room)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The Room)

Old 12-14-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The R

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Watch what the co-author of the book, Tom Bissell, has to say. Go to 5:00 on the video to the exact point I'm talking about.

At first I had no interest but after watching that clip I am almost tempted to give it a spin. That "you're tearing me apart" delivery is horrid and how much does that tube television weigh?
Old 12-14-17, 09:10 PM

Re: The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The R

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
At first I had no interest but after watching that clip I am almost tempted to give it a spin. That "you're tearing me apart" delivery is horrid and how much does that tube television weigh?
It's worth watching once. And it makes The Disaster Artist even more hysterical.
Old 12-15-17, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw this last night. I liked it, although it took a little time to actually get to the making of The Room. I know they needed to set it up, why they had to self-produce the movie, etc, but the opening blurbs even have someone (JJ Abrams, I think?) say how he'd like to go back in time just to be on set. Clearly the most interesting thing about Tommy Wiseau is The Room, and if you're making what is essentially a Wiseau bio-pic, it had better be all about The Room.

Do you need to see The Room to enjoy The Disaster Artist? Absolutely not. If you know a little about the movie, and have caught a few clips on YouTube to see Wiseau's style and delivery, you'll be fine. Only a few scenes of The Room are dissected, and the ones that are have someone on screen explain why they're so infamous. Examples, in the sex scene DP Seth Rogen points out that Tommy appears to be having sex with his co-star's belly button, and the Claudette actress asks if her breast cancer plot will be addressed at all again in the film. I don't know if anyone on set actually asked these questions like they do here, but it's pretty obvious that they're doing it for those unacquainted with the absurdities of The Room.

And despite what the guy in Tom Opus' video says (and I think he's being totally tongue-in-cheek there), I'd still recommend a boisterous venue for a first viewing of The Room. Believe me, you're not gonna miss out on the plot. As pointed out on IMDb, absolutely nothing that happens between the second Johnny/Lisa sex scene and the birthday party much later in the movie has any bearing on the plot at all. And at a midnight screening, you'll be there with Room "veterans" who can point out the absurdities that you might miss on a solo viewing. Like, who would notice the framed spoon photo just watching the movie for the first time? But when you are subjected to a rain of plastic spoons, you'll know exactly why, and also be armed for the next appearance of the photo. Or why Mark asks about the music and candles when there is no music playing nor candles in the scene.

If anything, I think The Disaster Artist will whet one's appetite to see The Room, and it might be even better to see The Disaster Artist first
Old 12-15-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It pretty much goes without saying, now, that anyone seeing the room from just about this point forward will do so because they've seen The Disaster Artist first. But having sat through one of those "boisterous" viewings of The Room here, while thankfully having already seen the original, I can confidently say I'm glad I saw the original first, and alone, and long before The Disaster Artist was even a thing. People DO miss things in those screenings, and not everyone has someone there to point out all the weird shit for them, or put the audience reaction into context every few seconds. It's still a grand experience, but I don't think the guy in the video was being entirely tongue-in-cheek about seeing it in a quiet setting first (alone or with others) even though he's clearly mocking the film quite a bit. Seeing The Room first in its entirety, without the audience camping it up, has never been about savoring its plot -- which as the post above notes, is threadbare and very incoherent in spots -- it's just about experiencing every otherworldly nook and cranny on your own terms without a hip crowd signalling that it's time to point and laugh or throw things.

Now, as for whether to see The Disaster Artist or The Room first, I'm not sure it matters anymore, since they're both flipsides of the same coin, and each should make you want to see the other even more!

Last edited by Brian T; 12-15-17 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed,some of the audience reactions get a bit irritating in that they try to make every little thing “a thing”. It’s one thing to throw spoons, but to yell out/cheer for the trolley whenever it appears in an establishing shot? Stop trying so hard.
Old 01-12-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
James Franco is gonna win an oscar for this.
I would agree because he's fantastic, but with the recent allegations out from 5 women, and his no-show at Critics Choice awards, he's not winning anything.

Hopefully, he will at least be nominated.
Old 01-12-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They gave an Oscar to a rapist and pedophile. He should win no problem.
Old 03-10-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
They gave an Oscar to a rapist and pedophile. He should win no problem.
Um.

Just watched this and very fascinating, lol. Franco was great and should've been nominated but understandable why he wasn't, fair or not.

3.75/5, (B+, 7.8/10, 3/4)
Old 03-17-18, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Besides knowing some of the more popular lines of The Room, I found this to very funny and surprisingly heartfelt. Well done, Franco!
Old 04-22-18, 03:34 PM

Just watched The Disaster Artist. Great film! I've always been interested in what goes on "behind the scenes" of Hollywood, and this was a fascinating look at the process - while also having a great story & solid cast.

I had never heard of The Room prior to this film, which is not surprising - given that it showed at only one theater back in 2003, and has never been well-known. I know it's supposed to have some kind of cult status, but even so I've still never heard of it - LOL. It's funny that more people have probably seen TDA than have seen The Room

The film also really illustrated how incredibly expensive it is to make movies, and how they rarely (if ever) turn a profit.

TW reminds me a lot of various B.S. artists I've run into in my life, i.e. people who are extremely secretive about their past & when they do let some info."slip through", these details end up being questionably & far-fetched. With these people, you never really know what to believe - or not believe. And, after a while you stop trying to find out more about them because you don't trust that what they're telling you has any element of truth. However, the difference between TW & these people I've run into is that he had the cash to support/back up his unlikely dream - i.e. make a movie.

I also thought the ending was interesting, i.e. TW showing the movie to an actual audience, and everyone laughing their heads off - which increased as the film progressed. Obviously, he intended the film to be a drama, but it had the opposite effect on the audience. However, the audience reaction was very true to life. I.e., I have seen numerous films that try to be too serious & end up being unintentionally hilarious.

Several questions, which I know don't have answers:

1) Where the he$$ did Tommy W. get his $? He was obviously independently wealthy re: financing a 6 million dollar film himself (amazing!), having two nice & separate apartments in L.A. and San Francisco, having all of the free time he needed/wanted to take acting classes, produce a film, etc...however, he didn't appear to have a regular job. So, did he clean up on the stock market?! Patent an invention that made him a boat-load of $? Was he being bank-rolled by his wealthy family?! I guess we'll never know.

2) Where is TW originally from?! I've read that he's supposedly from Poland, but not sure if that's true.

In any case, I plan on seeing The Room next...but I suspect I will still think TDA is the better film

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
If anything, I think The Disaster Artist will whet one's appetite to see The Room, and it might be even better to see The Disaster Artist first
Agree with this. I only just now saw TDA, and haven't seen The Room yet. However, I don't know if I would have had an interest in seeing TR if not for first seeing this "behind the scenes" story re: the making of the film.

Last edited by TheDude; 04-22-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
1) Where the he$$ did Tommy W. get his $? He was obviously independently wealthy re: financing a 6 million dollar film himself (amazing!), having two nice & separate apartments in L.A. and San Francisco, having all of the free time he needed/wanted to take acting classes, produce a film, etc...however, he didn't appear to have a regular job. So, did he clean up on the stock market?! Patent an invention that made him a boat-load of $? Was he being bank-rolled by his wealthy family?! I guess we'll never know.
"Textiles" seems to be the most common answer to this one. His Room DVDs come with a postcard insert (with a portrait of Tommy on one side) peddling his line of branded underwear. Behold:

And then behold some more:

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
In any case, I plan on seeing The Room next...but I suspect I will still think TDA is the better film
The Disaster Artist is obviously a better film. Better made, better acted, better better. Lots of those around. But The Room is a more fascinating experience. And whatever reaction you have to it, you're not alone. And regardless of which film one see's first, both are very much worth seeing. There's plenty of other oddness in The Room that couldn't be squeezed into TDA.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-23-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not as good as I thought it would be, but still entertaining.

3.5/5