Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The Room)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The Room)

Old 12-07-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The R

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
This would be great, as the current BD version of The Room is ridiculously overpriced for what it is.
If you buy it from the Tommy Wiseau website it comes with a pair of Tommy Wiseau boxers(seriously) and you're directly supporting the artist:

oh hai fashion
Old 12-07-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The R

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Will this movie work on its own for people without more than passing knowledge of The Room?
The movie definitely works better for those who've seen the original -- and even better for those who've read the book on which it's actually based -- but it stands well on it's own.

Regarding this possible reduced roll-out, if that's true I don't think it's a bad idea, partly for the reason stated above. Because this film is so tethered to wholly unique earlier works that a lot of "regular" moviegoers will not be familiar with, yet cast with faces they absolutely will be familiar with, completely uninformed viewers might come away with a sense that they're not in on some big joke. A slow build-up might be better, in part to let more people get familiar with the good reviews and award buzz -- and the reasons for them -- and perhaps to better understand the crazy real-life back story.
Old 12-07-17, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
This would be great, as the current BD version of The Room is ridiculously overpriced for what it is.
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
If you buy it from the Tommy Wiseau website it comes with a pair of Tommy Wiseau boxers(seriously) and you're directly supporting the artist:
Frankly, the DVD is good enough for viewing The Room. It's a hell of a lot cheaper (though the routine Amazon price drops to the $8.75 range have all but stopped as the release of The Disaster Artist has drawn near) and it does have some bonus features. The DVD doesn't come with free boxers, but the included postcard ad for them now has a portrait of Tommy on the back, which I think is a newer addition!
Old 12-07-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They're new boxers and not some worn by Wiseau?
Old 12-07-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this the other night, good movie. Seems like Chris R was probably the best actor in the actual movie. Going to read the book soon.
Old 12-07-17, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
They're new boxers and not some worn by Wiseau?
He's saving those up for the release of the 3-Disc Collector's Edition. Get those pre-orders in, folks!
Old 12-08-17, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is gonna land in the top 5 of the movies I've seen so far this year. Knowing about The Room makes it even better, but it stands on its own. James Franco has like 30+ credits as a director, I can't believe this is the first thing of his I've ever seen. Then again most of it never received any kind of release. I'd like to see his SNL doc.
Old 12-08-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Room is on YouTube but it has Spanish subtitles.
Old 12-09-17, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Room is on YouTube but it has Spanish subtitles.
If you're not watching The Room in a packed theater that serves alcohol, you're doing it wrong.
Old 12-09-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
If you're not watching The Room in a packed theater that serves alcohol, you're doing it wrong.
While that would be preferable, first time I watch a movie I like to be able to watch it without distractions. Plus the few places here that are showing it, only have it late at night, which I hate.
Old 12-09-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's about the worst way to watch that movie for the first time.
Old 12-09-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this today with moviepass. I never actually watched all of The Room but I know the stories behind it, I thought this was really well done and entertaining but brutally uncomfortable in spots. Pretty much spot lights and encourages eccentricity. This is a gargantuan leap forward for Franco as a director.

If there is any real downside, it's that every role is filled with a famous face which can be distracting, but they all did a pretty great job.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-09-17 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-09-17, 08:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Finally took the plunge and watched The Room today. Wow, that was uh, interesting.... Then used MoviePass and made it a double feature with The Disaster Artist, which will likely end up one of my favorite films of the year (Thelma is my pick so far). James Franco will likely get an Oscar nomination or two, no?
Old 12-09-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While that would be preferable, first time I watch a movie I like to be able to watch it without distractions. Plus the few places here that are showing it, only have it late at night, which I hate.
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I dunno, I've NEVER seen The Room without any kind of distractions, whether it's a boisterous (read: drunk) audience or the Rifftrax guys, and I don't think I'd want to. It's really that bad of a movie, and if I had to put up with just watching it, I'd have a gun in my mouth faster than Johnny does. Oops. Spoiler alert.

Seriously, it's not like Rocky Horror where audience participation can take attention away from the songs (although RHPS dialogue is not all that great and is dramatically improved with some of the audience bits). There's NOTHING in The Room worth watching. I mean, when even female nudity is repulsive, it's pretty bad.
Old 12-09-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Room can be watched by itself. Birdemic is something that needs a rifftrax to keep you from killing yourself.
Old 12-10-17, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
nah, its the only way.

Where's the fun in watching a so bad its good movie alone?
Old 12-10-17, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The distractions enhance The Room. This is the worst movie of all-time, what exactly are you hoping to soak in? It's not an Ingmar Bergman film with several layers to it for you to ponder for a few days.
Old 12-10-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The distractions enhance The Room. This is the worst movie of all-time, what exactly are you hoping to soak in? It's not an Ingmar Bergman film with several layers to it for you to ponder for a few days.
Watch what the co-author of the book, Tom Bissell, has to say. Go to 5:00 on the video to the exact point I'm talking about.

Old 12-10-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love The Room in all its badness, but in no way is it close to being the worst film ever made.
Old 12-11-17, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked this. I thought that Franco was pretty good as Tommy and while I never really liked Dave Franco much I thought he was pretty good as Mark. To a certain extent I could see this movie working better if you don't have much familiarity with The Room. The heart of the story is really the friendship between Tommy and Greg, but as a Room fan I really wanted them to just get to the part where they start making the movie.

I would give it 4/5. Franco is great as Tommy and I enjoyed this. But I never knew that Kevin Smith was a Room fan.
Old 12-11-17, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
I love The Room in all its badness, but in no way is it close to being the worst film ever made.
Couldn't agree more. Part of my own fascination with The Room is the fact that, in spite of the screenplay largely disconnected from reality, borderline alien characterizations and gratuitous Tommy, there IS a certain degree of technical craftsmanship that shows that many of the people Wiseau hired knew their way around a film set and the related tools. They were never going to "solve" the problem at the film's core -- Wiseau himself -- but in hindsight it was a wonderful problem to have!
Old 12-11-17, 09:16 PM

This was hilarious.
Old 12-12-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw this in a fairly packed theater... okay, it was one of their smaller screens at Alamo Drafthouse. It's also playing in one their bigger screens but I didn't want to wait.

Really liked the movie. It was kind of touching how the movie went nowhere but became a cult classic. Acting was pretty good. They sure amped up Denny's hair. I really liked the end title cards. The side-by-side comparisons of the real and recreated scenes was great.
Old 12-12-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's also a post credit sequence
Spoiler:
with Franco (as Tommy) having a conversation with the real Tommy Wiseau
Old 12-14-17, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was pretty great - funny and charming. Definitely one of the better films of the year.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.