Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The Room)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The Room)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The R

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VOUJjYsU1NQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Hahahaha...perfect. This looks great.

I've only seen The Room once but it was at a midnight screening with a crowd, thrown spoons and everything. Definitely going to catch it again.
Old 07-18-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: The Disaster Artist (D: James Franco) S: Franco, Rogen (making of cult film The R

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
What is this?
A center for ants!?
Old 07-18-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

This looks awesome. Definitely in!
Old 07-19-17, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Weird that Wizzo shot that scene using a green screen when he probably could have just shot it on an actual rooftop and saved a buncha money in post production.

Then again, I guess if he was a sensible person, the movie wouldn't have turned out nearly as memorable as it did.
Old 07-19-17, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm not really sold on Franco as Wiseau after watching that. We'll see.
Old 07-19-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Weird that Wizzo shot that scene using a green screen when he probably could have just shot it on an actual rooftop and saved a buncha money in post production.

Then again, I guess if he was a sensible person, the movie wouldn't have turned out nearly as memorable as it did.
What's funny is that he apparently owned several San Francisco buildings where they could have easily shot these scenes, but nope, green screen.
Old 07-19-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Sold. I could see this being as big as the Franco/Rogen movies. The Room is going to become popular beyond us movie dorks.

Is Wiseau supporting this? He should.
Old 07-19-17, 09:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is this accurate? I find it hard to believe that Wiseau would meticulously write all those lines down AND forget his own lines. I always just assumed the whole thing was improved.
Old 07-19-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is this accurate? I find it hard to believe that Wiseau would meticulously write all those lines down AND forget his own lines. I always just assumed the whole thing was improved.
It's from the book about the making of the movie: The Disaster Artist, written by Greg Senestro.

I looked around, thinking, Props, because props always helped Tommy; they took his mind off trying to act. I saw a nearby water bottle and grabbed it. “Here,” I said, handing the bottle to Tommy. “Use this. You know what you’re supposed to do, right? So do it. What do you always tell me? Show some emotion.” Tommy smiled in pure, holy relief. “Why didn’t you tell me emotion? My God! That’s easy part! Now you see why I need you here? These other people don’t care.” He immediately started peeling off the water bottle’s sticker, because nothing scared Tommy more than having to pay someone for permission to use a logo. Tommy is probably the world’s single most copyright-obsessed human being who does not also have a law degree. Sandy joined us on the side of the Rooftop set. He looked for a long time at Tommy’s water bottle before speaking. “What’s this?” “Water bottle,” Tommy said. Sandy took in a lungful of deep, calming breath. “Yes,” he said. “I know. What are we doing with it?” “I need to throw something, dammit. During scene.” Sandy turned away, removed his glasses, sat down, and rubbed his eyes. Tommy headed back to the outhouse, his water bottle in hand and his script hidden in his breast pocket. I sat down. Sandy stood by the monitor. “Action!” The door flew open and there was Tommy holding his water bottle and stepping out of the outhouse and hitting his head on the doorjamb so hard that it took twenty minutes to ice the bump and conceal it with makeup. I heard one of the cameramen say, desperately, “How are we ever going to get this? It’s impossible. We’ll be here forever.”
Old 07-19-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is this accurate? I find it hard to believe that Wiseau would meticulously write all those lines down AND forget his own lines.
As someone who's written some stuff, it's fairly easy to write something down and then almost immediately forget it. It's how continuity errors occur, with characters changing names halfway through a story, etc. That's why books have editors, and authors re-read their works.

Writing something doesn't mean you have it memorized anymore than you can remember exactly everything you said yesterday.
Old 08-03-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Looks like this is premiering in TIFF's Midnight Madness program. Tempting . . .
Old 08-03-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^I'm gonna try for it but that midnight premiere is going to be one of the hottest tickets of the entire festival so I'm not holding out hope.
Old 08-03-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Movie looks amusing but gives off an Ed Wood vibe, as in one has to have seen the actual movie about which a movie is being made. I've only seen bits of the original Room, where is it available to stream?
Old 08-03-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Movie looks amusing but gives off an Ed Wood vibe, as in one has to have seen the actual movie about which a movie is being made. I've only seen bits of the original Room, where is it available to stream?
I've never seen any Ed Wood movies and thought Ed Wood was great
Old 08-03-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've never seen any Ed Wood movies and thought Ed Wood was great
I saw Plan 9 From Outer Space, but after I saw Ed Wood, and I enjoyed Ed Wood fine. The Room is far worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space.
Old 08-04-17, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah, I saw and enjoyed Ed Wood multiple times as a kid, years before seeing Plan 9.
Old 08-04-17, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't know if this can be funnier than the actual movie. But, I'll be there!

Oh, and this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dXlao2KNYjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-04-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^I'm gonna try for it but that midnight premiere is going to be one of the hottest tickets of the entire festival so I'm not holding out hope.
I'm sure it will be a hot ticket, but on the plus side, it's not the opening night MM film, so you might have a slightly better chance of getting a ticket. Then again, with the (long overdue) 20% reduction in the number of films at TIFF this year, we may see more "sold-out" shows than in previous years. Not that the vast majority of TIFF screenings ever really sold out in the past, but I guess we'll see if that changes this year . . .
Old 09-12-17, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So this DEFINITELY turned out to be a hot ticket. Completely sold out and even a few people standing at the back. I'm still tempted to attribute that, as mentioned, to TIFF's reduction in films this year, but then I had the misfortune of sitting through the derivative French "thriller" REVENGE last night in a theatre barely 2/3 full, so the cult of THE ROOM was most likely the catalyst for the spike in attendance.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Not sure how much this differs from the "work in progress" screened at SXSW back in March, but I'm confident Franco will at least get some kind of award nomination(s) for his performance. It's much more than just an empty mimickry of Wiseau, his accent and his mannerisms; it thoughtfully humanizes one of the most ridiculed would-be entertainers of the past 20 years while not shying away from the passive-aggression and other weirdness that earned him his outcast reputation. If nothing else, Franco's spot on portrayal should bring even more new fans into the cult of Tommy.

The movie's success to any individual will be defined largely by their familiarity with Wiseau, his film, Greg Sestero's book, the behind-the-scenes footage from the DVD and the various cult festival screening Q&A's plastered all over YouTube. Franco doesn't recreate any of the latter, but they're collectively invaluable for their insight into the Wiseau's almost child-like mindset and his ability to spin ridicule into adoration. To those going in cold, there will be plenty of amusement to be had -- much as there was in ED WOOD (except here we get to see the premiere!) -- but the more you bring to the table, the funnier it will inevitably be, so effectively do they translate many of the key moments from Sesteros' book and the film itself.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Sold. I could see this being as big as the Franco/Rogen movies. The Room is going to become popular beyond us movie dorks.

Is Wiseau supporting this? He should.
Tommy supports it. He got a prolonged standing ovation at the Midnight premiere and he's only in the film for a short post-credits scene (if you don't count the BRILLIANT side-by-side comparisons of scenes from THE ROOM with their uncanny recreations in this film that run during the closing credits). Such is the love, I guess. In fact, everyone remained standing for the entire Q&A, which is a rarity, but that could be because the lineup included both Francos, Sesteros, Alison Brie, Ari Graynor and Paul Scheer.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
What's funny is that he apparently owned several San Francisco buildings where they could have easily shot these scenes, but nope, green screen.
This is addressed in a funny scene in which Seth Rogen's director points out that the alley way set Tommy orders constructed virtually matches the one right outside the soundstage.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-12-17 at 03:02 AM.
Old 09-12-17, 08:42 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cMKX2tE5Luk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-12-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

James Franco is gonna win an oscar for this.
Old 09-12-17, 01:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I only hope when this comes out on blu, they include The Room with it. Maybe as a special edition with a shit ton of extras.

At any rate, I really want to see this.
Old 09-12-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Tommy W's review at http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...htmlstory.html
Old 09-12-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Seeing the picture in that article that's a pretty big screw up in casting Dave Franco since he is clearly much shorter than Greg Sestero. They should have cast someone the same height. I hope I get to see this with a double feature of The Room when it comes out this December.
Old 09-13-17, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes

I hereby retract this post. That trailer sold me bigtime.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.