Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sea of Trees (2016, D: Van Sant) S: McConaguhey, Watanabe, Watts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 07:14 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Fresh off his first Oscar nomination for his devastating performance in “Dallas Buyers Club,” Matthew McConaughey has signed on to star opposite Ken Watanabe in Gus Van Sant’s drama “Sea of Trees,” an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.

Chris Sparling (“Buried”) wrote the script, which was voted to the 2013 Black List.

Story follows an American man (McConaughey) who takes a journey into the infamous “Suicide Forest” at the foothills of Mount Fuji with the intention of taking his own life. When he is interrupted by a Japanese man (Watanabe) who has had second thoughts about his own suicide, and is trying to find his way out of the forest, the two begin a journey of reflection and survival.

Gil Netter (“Life of Pi”) is producing the movie, which is gearing up to start production shortly.

Both McConaughey and Watanabe are veterans of Christopher Nolan movies, as the former recently wrapped “Interstellar,” while the latter actor co-starred in “Inception.” Neither has worked with Van Sant before.

“Sea of Trees” will serve as Van Sant’s next film, as he last directed the Matt Damon-John Krasinski drama “Promised Land.”

McConaughey, who is currently earning rave reviews for his turn in HBO’s “True Detective,” can also be seen as hotshot stockbroker Mark Hanna in Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street.” The actor, who recently won a Golden Globe and a SAG Award for “Dallas Buyers Club,” is represented by CAA.
Old 02-04-14, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts
re: The Sea of Trees (2016, D: Van Sant) S: McConaguhey, Watanabe, Watts

I've read about that forest. Called Aokighara Jukai. Google it and you can see some pretty ghastly images.
Old 02-04-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This could be really good.
Old 02-04-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Story follows an American man (McConaughey) who takes a journey into the infamous “Suicide Forest” at the foothills of Mount Fuji with the intention of taking his own life. When he is interrupted by a Japanese man (Watanabe) who has had second thoughts about his own suicide, and is trying to find his way out of the forest, the two begin a journey of reflection and survival.
Great, McConaughey back to doing romantic comedies.
Old 02-04-14, 09:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This sounds amazing. I've been obsessed with that forest for years. A friend of mine went and said it was actually pretty disappointing, outside of some signs that implored people not to take their own lives.
Old 02-04-14, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good.
Old 02-05-14, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Matthew McConaughey's filmography from the past 3 years is better than the first 19 years of his career.
Old 06-04-14, 11:44 AM

This article is a few weeks old, but it seems Naomi Watts has joined the cast.

New info about the project as well.

CANNES – Naomi Watts is in talks to star in Gus Van Sant's Japan-set drama, Sea of Trees.

The news that Van Sant is planning to cast the Diana star came from the director himself, who showed up at the Cannes Film Festival Thursday with Matthew McConaughey, star of the film, to tout the project to foreign buyers. Sea of Trees, with a budget of $25 million to $28 million, is one of the biggest titles being shopped at the market this year.

Sea of Trees is the first title from Bloom, the new sales company launched May 13 by veteran foreign sales agent Alex Walton and Ken Kao. Bloom sought to further elevate the project's profile by flying in Van Sant and McConaughey (the actor arrived Wednesday night from Los Angeles, and will depart Friday).

McConaughey, fresh off his Oscar win for Dallas Buyers Club and who is next in theaters in Christopher Nolan's Interstellar, said the script for Sea of Trees was the best he's read in five years. He'll play an American who travels to Japan's famous "Suicide Forest" with the intention of taking his own life. Instead, he decides to help a Japanese man (Ken Watanabe) who has become lost, and the duo set off on a reflective, and sometimes dangerous, journey to find their way out.

"It's like [reading] a whole bunch of haikus back-to-back," McConaughey said. "I got the chills, which doesn't usually happen. And with Gus, I thought it was the perfect match."

Watts would play the wife of McConaughey's character. Their marriage is told through a series of flashbacks, Van Sant said.

"There are many different relationships in the film," the director said. "I can only hope that it will look fantastic."

Sea of Trees is McConaughey's next movie and begins production in July or August. Van Sant would like to shoot in Japan. If not, he's eyeing the Pacific Northwest (Van Sant lives in Portland).

Van Sant said he received Chris Sparling's script from producer Gil Netter (Life of Pi). CAA and WME arranged financing and are co-repping U.S. rights. Kao, heir to the Garmin fortune, is producing and financing Sea of Trees through his Waypoint Entertainment.

McConaughey gave foreign buyers a history lesson on the Suicide Forest, which lies at the foot of Mt. Fuji. "If you go online and look for the perfect place to die, this is the place that comes up. There are even signs that say, 'remember, you leave a family behind.'"

The actor said he is preparing for Sea of Trees by contemplating "the metaphors" provided by the script, and that the character's "visitation with death actually gives him life."

Watts, who received an Oscar nomination for 2012’s The Impossible, has three films in post-production: Noah Baumbach's While We're Young, comedy St. Vincent De Van Nuys and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's Birdman. She’s repped by CAA and Untitled Entertainment.
Old 09-12-14, 04:24 PM

Old 09-12-14, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

This is one of my most anticipated upcoming films. Oscar potential all around. Gus Van Sant has left me disappointed more times than not but I have faith that he'll create a wonderful movie this time out.
Old 05-13-15, 08:58 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YvDsX2uuNW0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-16-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes.

Former Palme d’Or winner Gus Van Sant’s Cannes competition entry, Sea Of Trees starring Matthew McConaughey and Naomi Watts, had the first of two press screenings tonight in advance of its red carpet premiere Saturday night – and it got audibly booed during the end credits by one portion of the audience.

In its 68 years, the Cannes Film Festival has a long history of audiences booing after a film some may not have thought is up to their “standards”. Of course it’s rude, but in my experience in 15 years of covering this festival, it has never occurred during an actual black tie premiere with the filmmakers and cast present. Never. Even for the worst films imaginable they usually stand and applaud politely. Press screenings, however, like the first one tonight for Sea Of Trees, can be a different animal altogether, but in the several I have been to this year so far, there’s been little audible reaction of any kind – pro or con to the films in the competition. Until now.

Sea Of Trees, which as Deadline exclusively reported was picked up for domestic distribution by Lionsgate/Roadside Attractions, seemed to be politely received during its entire running time. The boos (not sure from who or where – certainly not my section) came afterwards, giving critics here, many of whom follow the pack, license to kill and it’s already begun with some unmerciful pans from trades and tweets. With the Internet, it can just be deadly. I totally disagree and was moved by the film, so I am thankful there was no rude outburst during it to ruin it for me. People sat intently throughout the nearly two-hour running time and there were no walkouts that I noticed. Walkouts are a sure sign a film is in trouble with this crowd, so I have to admit I was surprised by the boos at the end. There is a jury box at these press screenings so it is entirely possible that members of the jury were present. The booers might be trying to influence that small group too. I hope not.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/cannes-c...es-1201427858/

twitter critical reaction, spoiler for length and vitriol...

Spoiler:

Gabriele Capolino ‏@gabrielecapo 3m3 minutes ago The Sea of Trees: from the same Van Sant who did Gerry? An unbearable, schematic, banal 'survival'. Quite offensive. I'm crying. #Cannes2015

Scott Foundas ‏@foundasonfilm 57s57 seconds ago If Gus Van Sant's filmography can be divided, Scorsese-style, into "one for me, one for them," SEA OF TREES is one for nobody. #Cannes

Scott Foundas ‏@foundasonfilm 2m2 minutes ago SEA OF TREES: Dimestore mysticism of a highly maudlin and unpleasant order, passionately and deservedly booed. #Cannes

Donald Clarke ‏@DonaldClarke63 2m2 minutes ago SEA OF TREES: If you're odd enough to want to see Gus Van Sant do Nicholas Sparks, you're time has come, fella. Awful. #Cannes2015

Magdalena Miedl ‏@mmiedl 4m4 minutes ago Gus van Sant's SEA OF TREES veers from the mystical to the kitschy to the ridiculous. Boos at press screening. #Cannes2015

Lieven Trio ‏@l_trio 5m5 minutes ago #SeaOfTrees is what Gerry would have looked like if Nicholas Sparks wrote the script. Naomi Watts is great though. #Cannes2015

Jason Gorber ‏@filmfest_ca 5m5 minutes ago SEA OF TREES does have moments of great beauty, not worth boos, but its metaphysics and melancholy lapses into being maudlin #Cannes2015

Jason Gorber ‏@filmfest_ca 25m25 minutes ago SEA OF TREES is manipulative & telegraphs its sentiments, but if same film Japanese it'd be lauded. In English w stars = boos #Cannes2015

Jonathan Romney ‏@JonathanRomney 6m6 minutes ago SEA OF TREES: two men wander directionless lay in a forest. Like trying to make sense of Gus van Sant's career. #Cannes201

Nigel M. Smith ‏@nigelmfs 6m6 minutes ago SEA OF TREES is the SAFE HAVEN of this year's #Cannes

Screen Comment ‏@SCREENCOMMENT 7m7 minutes ago Major boos at the end of #SeaOfTrees. it is a disappointing Gus Van Sant movie. When did he get in the sentimentality racket? #Cannes2015

Kaleem Aftab ‏@aftabamon 8m8 minutes ago And #MatthewMcConaughey run of form ends is spectacular car crash of movie #seaoftrees

Kaleem Aftab ‏@aftabamon 8m8 minutes ago So #seaoftrees is where #GusVanSant goes to commit cinema hari Kari - worst film in competition

Mike D'Angelo ‏@gemko 41s41 seconds ago The Sea of Trees (Van Sant): 37. Should be lower, but it’s so dumb that it’s kind of perversely touching. A “serious” Robin Williams film.

Emily Yoshida ‏@emilyyoshida 5m5 minutes ago Gus Van Sants SEA OF TREES wins for the first Cannes booing I've ever witnessed. It was magical! (The booing. The movie was very bad!)

olilyttelton ‏@olilyttelton 1m1 minute ago THE SEA OF TREES: I haven't seen every film that's played in competition at Cannes, so I can't definitively say this is the worst. #Cannes

olilyttelton @olilyttelton · 19m 19 minutes ago To clarify, I didn't mean this year, I meant ever. This makes RESTLESS look like DRUGSTORE COWBOY.

olilyttelton ‏@olilyttelton 16m16 minutes ago My favorite thing about SEA OF TREES is that it takes eight endings to get to the twist that you guess is coming fifteen minutes in.

John Bleasdale ‏@drjonty 2m2 minutes ago Sea of Trees: hard to hear the dialogue in Gus Van Sant's melodrama cos of the rattling sound of my eyes rolling #Cannes2015 @CineVue

John Bleasdale ‏@drjonty 4m4 minutes ago Gus Van Sant's Sea of Trees makes Hereafter look intellectually sharp #Cannes2015 @CineVue

Hang Lu ‏@torotvd 2m2 minutes ago Sea of trees is so BAD on so many levels #Cannes2015

David Jenkins ‏@daveyjenkins 12m12 minutes ago THE SEA OF TREES (Van Sant) Hallmark's Gerry. Van Sant has now transformed fully into Ron Howard's prank monkey.

gregoryellwood @HitFixGregory 16m 16 minutes ago Sea of Trees very messy. It feels like a movie Tom Hanks would have made in the Castaway era but...directed by art-y style Van Sant #cannes

David Poland ‏@DavidPoland The Van Sant should be retitled Yellow Snow. Clearly a job for money. Unfortunate. Acting is fine. But bad Nicholas Sparks.

Lee Marshall ‏@leenelmezzo Gus Van Sant has had some off days, but Sea of Trees beats them all. Sea of Trite more like. #Cannes2015
Old 05-16-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully the Natalie Dormer version will be better!
Old 05-16-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm still interested in seeing it. There have been a bunch of great films that were booed at Cannes so I don't necessarily put a lot of stock into those reviews.
Old 05-16-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't know who @HitFixGregory is, but his tweet is retarded.
Old 08-08-16, 09:59 AM

Old 08-26-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: The Sea of Trees (2016, D: Van Sant) S: McConaguhey, Watanabe, Watts

Now available via VOD to rent or own.
Old 08-26-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Guess that Cannes audience wasn't wrong. 10% on RT
Old 08-26-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Looks like 2 turds in a row for McConaguhey.

Gus Van Sant, what's the hell is going on?
Old 08-05-18, 04:37 PM

I finally got around to watching this. It wasn’t THAT bad. Based on the articles from years ago you’d think it is one of the worst movies ever made.
Old 08-05-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I finally got around to watching this. It wasn’t THAT bad. Based on the articles from years ago you’d think it is one of the worst movies ever made.
Agreed. I actually kind of liked it.
Old 04-19-20, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I have been trying to find the song that is playing at about the 23:00 minute mark in the movie. It's after the characters get home from the dinner with their friends, and Joan (Naomi Watts) is sitting at the table. It sounds almost like Alt-J, but I could not find the song in the soundtrack or anywhere else. My wife loves the song and it's bugging the heck out of us because we can't seem to find it.
Old 04-19-20, 02:47 PM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I've never heard of this movie, but could you try to Shazam the scene or check the soundtrack online?
Old 04-19-20, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by story
I've never heard of this movie, but could you try to Shazam the scene or check the soundtrack online?
Wow, thanks for the Shazam tip; I never even knew about that app. But I did just try it and the music is so faint in the background that it could not pick it up. I tried several times, but no luck. But I'm sure I will be using Shazam for other stuff in the future. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
story (04-19-20)
Old 04-19-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mtpoland
It sounds almost like Alt-J, but I could not find the song in the soundtrack or anywhere else. My wife loves the song and it's bugging the heck out of us because we can't seem to find it.
If you check IMDb's soundtrack page for this, there are three songs by Alt-J...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3450900...f_=tt_ql_trv_7