Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ballad Of Richard Jewell (D: Eastwood) -- '96 Olympic Bombing

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ballad Of Richard Jewell (D: Eastwood) -- '96 Olympic Bombing

Old 04-01-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: The Ballad Of Richard Jewell (D: Eastwood) -- '96 Olympic Bombing

I hope Eastwood takes this...sounds like a perfect project for him.

I remember the way Richard Jewell got railroaded, and I was one of the few that believed him from the get-go. I remember arguing with my parents that he didn't seem like the type that would do anything so nefarious. This story is perfect for today's world, where more than ever we find people guilty before they've been fairly judged.
Old 04-01-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I remember the way Richard Jewell got railroaded, and I was one of the few that believed him from the get-go. I remember arguing with my parents that he didn't seem like the type that would do anything so nefarious. This story is perfect for today's world, where more than ever we find people guilty before they've been fairly judged.
Imagine what this would have been like in the age of social media.
Old 04-02-15, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Imagine what this would have been like in the age of social media.
You mean like what happened to Sunil Tripathi?
Old 11-16-16, 07:55 AM

“O.J.: Made in America” director Ezra Edelman is in talks with Fox to direct Jonah Hill in the studio’s Richard Jewell biopic.

Hill, who has been attached since 2014, is producing the project — based on the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing — with Leonardo DiCaprio. DiCaprio’s partner, Jennifer Davisson Killoran, and Kevin Misher are also producing. “Captain Phillips” screenwriter Billy Ray is writing the script, based on Marie Brenner’s article in Vanity Fair.

The Vanity Fair story follows a security guard who reported on the knapsack bomb at the 1996 Summer Games and helped clear bystanders — only to find himself vilified and suspected of being involved in the terrorism plot. Jewell was cleared as a suspect three months later and died in 2007 of a heart attack at the age of 44.

Mike Ireland is overseeing the project for Fox.

The movie would mark Edelman’s narrative feature directorial debut. His documentary on Simpson explored the rise and fall of the infamous football star, who was acquitted of killing his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and then imprisoned for another crime 13 years later. “O.J.: Made in America,” produced by ESPN’s “30 for 30” series, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January.

Edelman also directed the HBO Sports documentaries “Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals,” “The Curious Case of Curt Flood,” and the Emmy Award-winning “Brooklyn Dodgers: Ghosts of Flatbush.” He’s repped by CAA.

The news was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jo...or-1201918740/
Old 04-18-19, 03:53 PM

4 years after he was first circling...

EXCLUSIVE: Clint Eastwood is circling to next direct The Ballad Of Richard Jewell, and has been in discussions with Disney/Fox drama based on the life of a security guard whose life was turned upside down in a moment after it was leaked by law enforcement to a reporter that Jewell was a possible suspect in the Olympic Park bombing during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. From the moment he was outed by an article written by an overzealous reporter at the Atlanta Journal Constitution , Jewell went from hero to one of the most hated men in America.

The script is by Billy Ray (Captain Phillips). Eastwood flirted with the project once before.

Jewell discovered a suspicious backpack in the Olympics compound, cleared the area and saved lives that day, but after he was falsely accused he became a pariah. The project, based on the Vanity Fair article The Ballad Of Richard Jewell was originally set at 20th Century Fox.

Jonah Hill was once attached to play Jewell, and Leonardo DiCaprio once circled the role as Jewell’s lawyer who was a family friend who mostly did real estate closings before being enveloped by a case that had international media attention. I’m told no one is attached right now and Eastwood will assemble his own cast with hopes of shooting in the summer.

Even though the FBI cleared Jewell as a suspect three months later, the true American hero never fully got his reputation back or his confidence in himself, and his health was forever damaged. Jewell, who later became a police officer, died in 2007 of a heart attack at the age of 44.

The film will be produced by Appian Way’s DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson, Hill and Kevin Misher, the latter of whom brought in the article. Misher Films’ Andy Berman also will have a producing role. Mike Ireland is overseeing for Fox.

Eastwood last directed The Mule.
https://deadline.com/2019/04/clint-eastwood-the-ballad-of-richard-jewell-movie-disney-fox-1202598528/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=exacttarget&utm_campaign=breakingnews&utm_content=146446_04-18-2019_clint-eastwood-circling-ballad-of-&utm_term=165097
Old 04-19-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What an American tragedy this story is.
This poor guy went thru pure hell.
I hope he is RIP...if anyone deserves it, it's him.
Old 04-19-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of wish Eastwood would direct a fictional story again, but this is what interests him and they tend to be successful more often than not, so good for him. I'm just happy to see him still working.
Old 04-21-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Me too ... I remember the story breaking but never knew he was cleared. I'll admit, if done right I think this sounds very interesting. I figured it was going to be a run-of-the-mill crime procedural. A cautionary tale which may vilify the media -- I'm in!
Son of a bitch ... even after I didn’t know this, then I knew it, and now I don’t know it again. I started to comment that I didn’t know he was cleared ...

Eastwood is very hot or miss with me. Still looking forward to the movie though.
Old 05-24-19, 04:44 PM

Warner Bros. and Clint Eastwood are teaming up once again, as the studio has closed a deal to acquire the rights to “The Ballad of Richard Jewell” from Fox-Disney with Eastwood set to direct.

Eastwood has had his eye on “The Ballad of Richard Jewell” for some time, and was in talks to take on the project several years ago when it was at Fox before he eventually shifted his focus to another property. Following the success of his most recent drama, “The Mule,” the director began looking again for his next project and came back to “Richard Jewell,” which was now a part of Fox-Disney following the recent merger of the two studios.

There was a chance that the movie could have stayed at Fox-Disney, marking a reunion between Eastwood and Alan Horn, the current Disney Studios chief who worked with the filmmaker when he was the head of Warner Bros.’ motion picture division. Sources say that all parties involved, however, thought it best that the film make its way to Warners, the studio that Eastwood has called home for years.

Susan Rovner, Brett Paul Named Presidents of Warner Bros. Television
The film tells the true story of Richard Jewell, a security guard whose life is turned upside-down after media reports identified him as a possible suspect in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing. Jewell reported on the knapsack bomb at the 1996 Summer Games and helped clear bystanders — only to find himself vilified and suspected of being involved in the terrorism plot. Jewell was cleared as a suspect three months later and died in 2007 of a heart attack at the age of 44.

Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio had originally been attached to star, but they will no longer appear in the movie. Their involvement will be limited to producing the film. DiCaprio’s partners Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Kevin Misher are also producing, as are Tim Moore and Jessica Meier. Billy Ray is writing the script, which will be based on a Marie Brenner article in Vanity Fair.

Eastwood’s “The Mule” bowed in December and earned $172 million at the worldwide box office, including $103 million domestically.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/t...od-1203225488/
Old 05-25-19, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Ballad Of Richard Jewell (D: Eastwood) -- '96 Olympic Bombing

"Eastwood’s “The Mule” bowed in December and earned $172 million at the worldwide box office, including $103 million domestically."
Wow, I had no idea it made this kind of money.
Old 05-27-19, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
"Eastwood’s “The Mule” bowed in December and earned $172 million at the worldwide box office, including $103 million domestically."
Wow, I had no idea it made this kind of money.
It's a good film. It should of gotten some Oscar nods (if not outright wins), but such is Hollywood these days.
Old 05-27-19, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
It's a good film. It should of gotten some Oscar nods (if not outright wins), but such is Hollywood these days.
It was fine, but did not deserve any recognition.
Old 05-28-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

It was fine, but did not deserve any recognition.
It was better reviewed (per RT) than Bohemian Rhapsody and Vice.
Old 05-29-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And Vice and Bohemian Rhapsody were nothing special either.
Old 05-29-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clint turns 89 on Friday.

Poor guy still has to work because he has 9 kids.
Old 06-10-19, 05:21 PM

Deadline has confirmed that Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Oscar winner Sam Rockwell is in final talks for Clint Eastwood’s The Ballad of Richard Jewell at Warner Bros.

Pic follows Jewell, the security guard whose life was turned upside down after it was leaked by law enforcement to a reporter that he was a possible suspect in the Olympic Park bombing during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Rockwell will play the attorney who reps Jewell after he is wrongly accused. The part of Jewell has yet to be cast. Eastwood is directing and producing the movie through his Malpaso label.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/sam-roc...G3aaomwoTFQ9x4
Old 06-10-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too bad PSH died. He would have been PERFECT for Jewell

Old 06-12-19, 03:14 PM

In what has the potential to be a star-making turn, Paul Walter Hauser will star as Richard Jewell in Clint Eastwood’s feature telling of the security guard who went from hero to suspect at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

Originally set up in 2014 at Fox, the project, titled Richard Jewell, has moved studios and is now at Eastwood’s longtime home, Warner Bros.

Jonah Hill was initially attached to play Jewell with Leonardo DiCaprio attached to play his attorney. The two remain connected to the project as producers. Kevin Misher and Jennifer Davisson, DiCaprio’s partner at Appian Way, are also producing as are Tim Moore and Jessica Meier.

Sam Rockwell is already in negotiations to portray Jewell's attorney.

Jewell was working as a security guard at the 1996 Summer Games when he discovered a backpack containing pipe bombs, subsequently sounding the alarm and helping to clear the area. However, the bomb did detonate, killing one person and injuring dozens of others.

Initially hailed as a hero, Jewell was soon the prime suspect, as the FBI searched his home twice. A media frenzy painted him as an overweight failed cop and mama's boy, and he became the punchline for late-night jokes.

After being raked over the coals by the media, Jewell was cleared, but the damage had been done. Lawsuits followed (against NBC and CNN, among several others), and the FBI and other government agencies were forced to make public apologies.

Jewell, who did work as a police officer and a sheriff's deputy, died in 2007 at the age of 44 due to health issues linked to his weight.

The script, penned by Billy Ray, is based on the Vanity Fair article "The Ballad of Richard Jewell" written by Marie Brenner.

Hauser played one of the racist lunkheads in Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman and next appears opposite Mindy Kaling in Late Night. He is also currently stealing scenes in YouTube’s streaming cult hit Cobra Kai. He had a standout role as Nancy Kerrigan's attacker in I , Tonya and recently wrapped Netflix's Da 5 Bloods, which reunited him with Lee. And on a career that's on a fast-moving roll right now, Hauser also just booked a gig on true crime movie Silk Road opposite Jason Clarke and Nick Robinson.

Hauser is repped by CAA, Artists First and Schreck Rose.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...8IBqzroAw0u_qE
Old 06-13-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good casting. I liked Hauser in both I, TONYA and COBRA KAI.
Old 06-13-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't seen Cobra Kai but thought he was good in I Tonya and in BlackkKlansman. Not a guy you would think to cast as a lead, but an inspired choice.
Old 06-17-19, 10:50 PM

Olivia Wilde, Jon Hamm Join Clint Eastwood’s ‘Richard Jewell’
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/o...od-1203245570/
Old 06-17-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder what the tone of this will be : serious, satirical, cynical?
Old 06-17-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has Eastwood directed anything satirical or cynical?
Old 06-17-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gran Torino, Bronco Billy. Maybe Trouble With The Curve? Not a lot