Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Philip Seymour Hoffman has died

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Philip Seymour Hoffman has died

Old 02-03-14, 02:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman has died

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Wow...just saw this news on Yahoo's front page. I am stunned. I'm not crying, but just shocked that someone of his caliber and youth has died.
well I'm glad someone considers 46 'youth' - speak to teenagers today and they think anyone older than 35 is in need of an old folks home.
Old 02-03-14, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in checking imdb on awards & nominations, i was surprised that Hoffman's first oscar nod was for Capote.
Old 02-03-14, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 835 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
in checking imdb on awards & nominations, i was surprised that Hoffman's first oscar nod was for Capote.
Yea, he deserved a best actor nomination for Owning Mahowny and supporting actor for Magnolia.
Old 02-03-14, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm really feeling awful about this. I doubt I'll watch the Hunger Games stuff, but what does anyone know about his other completed projects?
Old 02-03-14, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coral
Yea, he deserved a best actor nomination for Owning Mahowny and supporting actor for Magnolia.
Don't forget Love Liza. This man deserved a nomination for all of his works.
Old 02-03-14, 08:54 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Philip Seymour Hoffman's death appears to be heroin-related ... and law enforcement is looking at a deadly strain of the drug as one of the operating theories ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... they do NOT know specifics about the heroin found in the NYC apartment where Seymour died. There were 10 bags found -- 2 of them empty.

Authorities have been tracking a strain of heroin that has killed dozens of people on the East Coast -- just last month. The heroin is laced with fentanyl, an extremely potent drug prescribed for terminal cancer patients. The strain is 100 times more powerful than morphine ... it sometimes shuts down the respiratory system.

The drug -- sometimes called "Theraflu," "Bud Ice" and "24K" -- has been linked to 5 deaths on Long Island, 22 deaths in Pennsylvania and 19 on Rhode Island -- all in January.

Cops do NOT know if this strain caused Hoffman's death, but they tell us "everything's in play" until they get results from toxicology.
Old 02-03-14, 09:03 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

if only he stuck to the "safe" heroin.
Old 02-03-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I am still stunned by the news. So hard to see such a great talent cut down in his prime. I will be watching many of his films again over the next few days.
Old 02-03-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

I heard on the radio that he was supposed to pick up his kids not long after he died. So even if he lived, he was shooting up heroin before picking up his young children. Tragic loss but I can't really have much respect for him, knowing that.
Old 02-03-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I heard on the radio that he was supposed to pick up his kids not long after he died. So even if he lived, he was shooting up heroin before picking up his young children. Tragic loss but I can't really have much respect for him, knowing that.
Yeah, I was shocked and saddened when I heard he died but when I read he had three young children I just shook my head in disgust. He was one of my favorite actors but knowing he was that selfish made me lose respect for him.
Old 02-03-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Spoilers for Doubt
Old 02-03-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addiction

Addiction - The state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
Old 02-03-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yeah, I was shocked and saddened when I heard he died but when I read he had three young children I just shook my head in disgust. He was one of my favorite actors but knowing he was that selfish made me lose respect for him.

Yeah, that's my emotion coming out of this:

Disappointment.

I'm disappointed in him. Flushed a career down the toilet.

Now, do we honor him like we do Cory Monteith and glorify all drug addicts who end their lives?
Old 02-03-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

According to CNN

Authorities investigating the death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found close to 50 bags containing what is believed to be heroin in his apartment, two law enforcement sources familiar with the probe said Monday. Investigators also found several bottles of prescription drugs, and more than 20 used syringes in a plastic cup, the sources said.
Old 02-03-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jim Carrey ✔ @JimCarrey Follow

Dear Philip, a beautiful beautiful soul.
For the most sensitive among us the noise can be too much.
Bless your heart. ;^{
Old 02-03-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Yeah, that's my emotion coming out of this:

Disappointment.

I'm disappointed in him. Flushed a career down the toilet.

Now, do we honor him like we do Cory Monteith and glorify all drug addicts who end their lives?
Who's glorifying it? The dude was clean for over two decades before relapsing. Show some compassion. Once you become a drug addict you are always a drug addict.
Old 02-03-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Who's glorifying it? The dude was clean for over two decades before relapsing. Show some compassion. Once you become a drug addict you are always a drug addict.
Exactly. Addicts need something to keep them occupied or they 100% will relapse. The reason so many of them accidentally overdose after being clean is because they have had their system flushed for a while, and attempt to do the levels they were at their zenith. This typically results in death.
Old 02-03-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
According to CNN

Authorities investigating the death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found close to 50 bags containing what is believed to be heroin in his apartment, two law enforcement sources familiar with the probe said Monday. Investigators also found several bottles of prescription drugs, and more than 20 used syringes in a plastic cup, the sources said.
So depressing. If this is true, it really seems that he had no intention of making it out of his apartment alive.

Old 02-03-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

I don't want my post to turn this thread into a debate about addiction but the guy was clean for 20+ years. His relapse had nothing to do with addiction; it was his lack of willpower and selfishness. The only victims here are his kids.
Old 02-03-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hoffman and Gandolfini both in less than a year.
Yup and yet no one bitched out Gandolfini for his high intake of fatty foods.

Originally Posted by Dukemstr
Ahh crap

And then you have people wanting to legalize drugs because it's harmless. Yep
If it was legal the dosage quantities would be controlled and not tainted with Fentanyl or other substances. This would prevent hot doses or overdosing.
Old 02-03-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I am curious if he was going to be driving or if it was a driver from the movie production or someone else driving. Not that it really matters but I was wondering how functional he was.
Old 02-03-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

I am as shocked as every one else. I mean a heroin addict died of a heroin overdose. What are the odds?
Old 02-03-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I am curious if he was going to be driving or if it was a driver from the movie production or someone else driving. Not that it really matters but I was wondering how functional he was.
I doubt he was driving, he was supposed to pick them up from their mother at a playground that was 1 block away.
Old 02-03-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
According to CNN

Fuck, he was on a bender.
Old 02-03-14, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shame. He was a great actor. He won a well deserved Oscar for Capote and he was especially great in P.T. Anderson films. He was even good as a heavy(no pun intended) in Mission: Impossible 3. I have to admit he was really annoying in Twister, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.