Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-n-dale-676161

Chip ‘n’ Dale, Disney’s classic cartoon chipmunk duo, is being revived with the goal of becoming a big-screen feature.

The studio has picked up a pitch from Robert Rugan, an award-winning commercials director, who is writing an updated take on the characters in what is being envisioned as a live-action/CG hybrid.

Mandeville Films/TV, the Disney-based production shingle run by David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman that is also behind the studio’s Muppets franchise, is producing.

Chip ‘n’ Dale first appeared in a 1943 animated short starring Pluto, and went on to appear in 22 reels stretching into the mid-1950s where the duo either annoyed Mickey’s faithful four-legged friend or squared off against Donald Duck.

They popped up in various Disney cartoons and comics but got a makeover in in 1989 with Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers. The show saw Chip, the brains behind the pair, and Dale, the goofball, running a detective agency and helping animal clients. Disney made three seasons' worth of shows that then ran in syndication for the next decade on The Disney Channel.

It is from Rescue Rangers that the new project would spring as it tells an origin story of sorts.

Mandeville's Alexander Young is overseeing for the shingle and will exec produce.

Live-action/CG hybrids have proven to be quite successful. Fox is in the process of making a fourth Alvin and the Chipmunks picture while Sony Pictures Animation made two Smurfs movie.

Mandeville's Muppets Most Wanted hits theaters March 21.

Rugan has done spots for companies such as Visa, IFC, HBO, Kodak, Nikon and Durex, winning two CLIO Awards and the CyberLion at Cannes. He was also behind popular video Wiley vs Rhodes, a live-action spoof of a Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoon.

Rugen is attached to direct Genies (aka Children of the Lamp) at Paramount with Color Force (The Hunger Games) attached to produced. He is currently adapting the book series The Genius Files for Warners and wrote an original script titled Beauregard Thibodeau to which he is attached to direct while Logan Pictures is on board to produce.

He is repped by Verve, Kaplan/Perrone and Hirsch Wallerstein.
I was too old when the original show came out but I know many of you are fans of it around here. So what do you think?

Here some other press links:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/re...ie-1201080563/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/...ers-flavoured/

The bleeding cool article has some links of the stuff done by the writer/director Robert Rugan.
Old 01-31-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

I grew up with the show and it was one of my favorites but it's predictable how it's most likely going to turn out. See basically any cartoon turned live action/CG (Alvin and the Chipmunks, Garfield, Scooby Doo, The Smurfs). It'll probably be something that's fine for the little kids but it won't be anything great.
Old 01-31-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts
re: Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Yep, I loved Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers when I was a kid but this movie will be a Smurfs/ Alvin and the Chipmunks level stinker

Now where's my Darkwing Duck feature length animated film?!
Old 01-31-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Now where's my Darkwing Duck feature length animated film?!
They're still figuring out how to properly sideline him in favor of unnecessary human protagonists.
Old 01-31-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Must have Coo-Koo cola!
Old 02-01-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Must have Coo-Koo cola!
I doubt we'll ever get such an awesome reference in the movie.
Old 02-01-14, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
They're still figuring out how to properly sideline him in favor of unnecessary human protagonists.
They did an episode where some device "tuned in" to his dimension, and someone from "our" dimension used his exploits for the basis for a cartoon (!!). Somehow he got sucked into our dimension, and some kids (fans of the cartoon show) helped him get back to his.

Now here is where we come full circle to the topic

The device ends up getting damaged and gets tuned to another dimension, the one that the Rescue Rangers exist in.

A bit of internet research shows that the name of the episode is called "Twitching Channels"

I still don't know if the writers of that episode were bat-shit insane, or fucking genius.
Old 02-01-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a fan of any of the live action/CGI mixed stuff
Old 02-01-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Chip N Dale: Rescue Rangers movie?

Live action + CG?
Old 02-01-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would love to live in the alternate reality where Disney actually took care of this property. The fact that this is being done by the team handling the new Muppets movie gives me some hope.
Old 02-02-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone actually read the quoted text? It announces a Chip/Dale movie. Nothing about Rescue Rangers except for a mention buried further down when the history of the characters is discussed.
Old 02-02-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Did anyone actually read the quoted text? It announces a Chip/Dale movie. Nothing about Rescue Rangers except for a mention buried further down when the history of the characters is discussed.
Did you?

It is from Rescue Rangers that the new project would spring as it tells an origin story of sorts.
Says that the new project comes from Rescue Rangers, right there in the OP.
Old 02-02-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I only read two and a half words from the title and assumed it was some sort of Magic Mike sequel.
Old 05-17-19, 06:10 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Disney’s feature film reimagining of Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers has found its director.

Akiva Schaffer, one-third of Lonely Island along with Andy Samberg and Jorma Taccone's, has closed a deal to direct the studio’s live-action/CG hybrid take on Rescue Rangers, featuring the classic chipmunk duo.

David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman, who produced The Muppets as well as Beauty and the Beast for the studio, are producing the project, whose distribution path is unclear. It may end up a theatrical release or could head to Disney+, the company’s upcoming streaming service that launches later this year.

Chip ‘n Dale have been tormenting various Disney characters since 1943 but got a makeover in in 1989 with Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers. The show saw Chip, the brains behind the pair, and Dale, the goofball, running a detective agency and helping animal clients. Disney made three seasons' worth of shows that then ran in syndication for the next decade on The Disney Channel.

Plot details for Rangers are being squirreled away, but it will not be an origin story nor detective agency story. Rather, the take is being described as being meta, something self-referential and cool. Dan Gregor and Doug Mand wrote the script.

That meta take could prove to be perfect match in the hands of Schaffer, who with his Lonely Island cohorts made classic digital shorts for Saturday Night Live, both as writer and director. He also co-directed the mockumentary Popstar: Never Stop Stopping, acclaimed Hulu comedy Pen15, and off-the-wall sketch comedy series I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson. Schaffer is repped by UTA and Ziffren Brittenham.

Execs Louie Provost and Jessica Virtue are overseeing for the studio, Alex Young is shepherding for Mandeville Films/TV.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...er_heat_vision
Old 05-17-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

It makes some sense because this was basically the Rescuers: the tv show with chip n dale instead. IIRC, unlike Duck Tales or even Tail Spin, this took place in the "real" world with humans and they used human things to build their stuff.

That being said, if they were going to do a live action version of one of the Disney Afternoon cartoons they should have resurrected Gargoyles.
Old 05-17-19, 07:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

As a big fan of Ducktales, Gummy Bears, and Tailspin, I can affirm that Rescue Rangers was excruciating. Just terrible.

And kids today have zero idea what it is. They know Chip n Dale. They’re still marketed. But Rescue Rangers? No way.
Old 05-17-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chip n Dale is all kids need to know. As far as they know or care, Rescue Rangers is a new thing.

The writer is apparently recycling his own articles(both from above):
They popped up in various Disney cartoons and comics but got a makeover in in 1989 with Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers. The show saw Chip, the brains behind the pair, and Dale, the goofball, running a detective agency and helping animal clients. Disney made three seasons' worth of shows that then ran in syndication for the next decade on The Disney Channel.
Chip ‘n Dale have been tormenting various Disney characters since 1943 but got a makeover in in 1989 with Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers. The show saw Chip, the brains behind the pair, and Dale, the goofball, running a detective agency and helping animal clients. Disney made three seasons' worth of shows that then ran in syndication for the next decade on The Disney Channel.
Old 05-18-19, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
As a big fan of Ducktales, Gummy Bears, and Tailspin, I can affirm that Rescue Rangers was excruciating. Just terrible.

And kids today have zero idea what it is. They know Chip n Dale. They’re still marketed. But Rescue Rangers? No way.
With all due respect, screw you.

Rescue Rangers was always one of the best of the Disney Afternoon.
IMHO
Tailspin>Rescue Rangers>Ducktails>Gummy Bears>>Darkwing Duck>>>>the rest
That being said I'm pretty worried about this. I can't see this being anything but a formulaic/cheesy live action CGI kids movie. I'd much rather see a straight up cartoon. Then again judging from the reboot of Ducktails maybe I'd rather just watch the old episodes.
Old 05-18-19, 10:13 AM
Banned

Rescue Ranger better than Ducktales? No way. Although Ducktales absolutely shit the bed in season 3 when Gizmoduck and Bubba showed up.

RR was like Scooby-Doo. Every episode was the same plot and the characters always behaved in a prescribed manner.
Old 05-18-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was borderline too old for RR, but DuckTales was my absolute favorite show growing up. I was 12 when it premiered, so even at that young age I knew the show went to shit when they introduced Bubba. Worst character ever. I'm currently watching/enjoying the new DuckTales with my daughter who is, ironically, 12 years old. I dread them introducing Bubba and ruining this show too.

I did enjoy Gizmo Duck though, he was like a Transformers/Inspector Gadget hybrid and was easy enough to like as a kid.

I remember watching Rescue Rangers but don't recall much about it. I remember liking Gadget & Zipper, and I loved the NES game.
Old 05-18-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rescue Ranger better than Ducktales? No way. Although Ducktales absolutely shit the bed in season 3 when Gizmoduck and Bubba showed up.

RR was like Scooby-Doo. Every episode was the same plot and the characters always behaved in a prescribed manner.
To be perfectly frank a lot of it I'm sure if due to nostalgia. I was 7 when it came out and looking back I think I was at the prime age for imaginary friends and since the RR took place in the real world it's easy for a kid to put themselves in the world with them.

But watching them again I still love them. They're not terrible even as an adult and my kid loves them too so something to watch together is nice.
Old 05-18-19, 10:28 PM
Banned

That’s cool. Gizmoduck isn’t inherently bad. His two-part intro episode is a great episode. But season three just stinks. He’s not given enough to do. Or what he does is stupid. He and Bubba were terrible because the show already had a lot of characters. Two more and it was too many.
Old 05-19-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
They did an episode where some device "tuned in" to his dimension, and someone from "our" dimension used his exploits for the basis for a cartoon (!!). Somehow he got sucked into our dimension, and some kids (fans of the cartoon show) helped him get back to his.

Now here is where we come full circle to the topic

The device ends up getting damaged and gets tuned to another dimension, the one that the Rescue Rangers exist in.

A bit of internet research shows that the name of the episode is called "Twitching Channels"

I still don't know if the writers of that episode were bat-shit insane, or fucking genius.
​​​​​​Remember the episode with the potato vampires? Just say potato backwards!
Also loved the Dark Knight Returns spoof episode. Never really cared for Recur Rangers. It was always too predictable.
Old 05-19-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

My 5 year old daughter loves Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers. They just remastered it with an HD release a few years back for iTunes and Amazon and it looks stunning.

She's watched it repeatedly for several years and hasn't gotten tired of it.
Old 05-20-19, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Koby
My 5 year old daughter loves Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers. They just remastered it with an HD release a few years back for iTunes and Amazon and it looks stunning.

She's watched it repeatedly for several years and hasn't gotten tired of it.
What? They did? I never knew it was remastered. I wonder why they never made a physical release. Maybe it will be on Disney+

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.