Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
re: Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

I don't even remember who Bubba is and now I'm afraid to look him up and ruin my memory of Duck Tales.

Even if we can't agree about Rescue Rangers, I think we can all agree that Tailspin was the bottom of that barrel. Not bad, but not as good as the others. I never understood why they recycled Jungle Book characters like that.
Old 05-20-19, 09:32 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Tailspin is excellent. It was a pretty boldly unique move to take Jungle Book characters and shape them in to something else entirely. The relationship between Baloo and the young bear was effective. And the sky pirate aspect of it all was exciting.
Old 05-20-19, 10:44 AM
Banned

In his book Disney A to Z, Dave Smith gives a glowing review of Talespin. Furthermore, the thing had an exceptionally mature conception that borrowed on a lot of 1930’s archetypes. Art Deco, screwball comedy, serial adventure. The same stuff that fueled Raiders of the Lost Ark and Romancing the Stone and other stuff I loved at the time. And although I didn’t know it at the time it was influenced by the air piracy in Miyazaki’s Castle in the Sky.
Old 05-23-19, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will Gadget be in it? If not Numerous people including the cult from Russia will no doubt boycott the movie

Also I doubt this will be about the Rescue Rangers in the end. It will be just about Chip n Dale. An Alvin and the Chipmunks type movie
Old 05-28-19, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't even remember who Bubba is and now I'm afraid to look him up and ruin my memory of Duck Tales.

Even if we can't agree about Rescue Rangers, I think we can all agree that Tailspin was the bottom of that barrel. Not bad, but not as good as the others. I never understood why they recycled Jungle Book characters like that.
I'll give you that it was weird to humanize Jungle Book characters but I disagree in that it really worked well. The relationship between Baloo and Kit was an emotional grounding point. Also the stories were more mature and developed compared with Duck Tales or Rescue Rangers.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Tailspin is excellent. It was a pretty boldly unique move to take Jungle Book characters and shape them in to something else entirely. The relationship between Baloo and the young bear was effective. And the sky pirate aspect of it all was exciting.
Agreed.

In his book Disney A to Z, Dave Smith gives a glowing review of Talespin. Furthermore, the thing had an exceptionally mature conception that borrowed on a lot of 1930’s archetypes. Art Deco, screwball comedy, serial adventure. The same stuff that fueled Raiders of the Lost Ark and Romancing the Stone and other stuff I loved at the time. And although I didn’t know it at the time it was influenced by the air piracy in Miyazaki’s Castle in the Sky.
I never knew that about Castle in the Sky influencing Tailspin. Yeah the 1930's archetypes were played up in a really fun fashion. The world they created was fun too with airships of all kinds being really common. Plus they had a helicarrier way before SHIELD did
Old 05-29-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I never knew that about Castle in the Sky influencing Tailspin. Yeah the 1930's archetypes were played up in a really fun fashion. The world they created was fun too with airships of all kinds being really common. Plus they had a helicarrier way before SHIELD did
The SHIELD Helicarrier debuted in Marvel comics in 1965.
Old 05-30-19, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The SHIELD Helicarrier debuted in Marvel comics in 1965.
I KNEW I should have googled that before I wrote that
Old 05-30-19, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanman
I'll give you that it was weird to humanize Jungle Book characters but I disagree in that it really worked well. The relationship between Baloo and Kit was an emotional grounding point. Also the stories were more mature and developed compared with Duck Tales or Rescue Rangers.

Agreed.

I’m only presuming there was inspiration between that film and Talespin, but the similarities seem clear enough.

Castle in the Sky is today called steam punk. I did some googling and evidently Talespin and some other things are now considered “Diesel Punk”.
Old 07-22-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Since this became the "Disney Afternoon" thread with no new news of this Chip and Dale movie, figured I'd post this here (it's already in the Duck Tales show thread):
https://ew.com/comic-con/2019/07/19/...gers-talespin/

Rescue Rangers, Tail Spin, others are going to be in the next season of the rebooted Duck Tales cartoon. The link has the poster with all the characters, including a grown up Kit.
Old 07-22-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

SMDH... I jinxed it. Fucking Bubba is in the poster at fushishig's link.
Old 07-23-19, 12:03 PM
Banned

Damn it!
Old 07-26-19, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who there's a lot to process in the poster. I see Don Carnage, Kit has really gained weight and looks like Baloo. The three caballeros!! Is that Genie from the lost treasure movie? The rescue rangers are so tiny but look exactly like their 90's counterparts. Darkwing Duck was already on this show but cool he'll be in it for real instead of just as a TV show. I have mixed feelings about this reboot. It's not quite as bad as the Mickey Reimagining but I'm not a fan of the new art style and the method these new cartoons deliver lines. I don't know how to explain it. It's just very spastic and quick. Like they're just reading their lines and not acting.
Old 05-17-20, 02:19 PM
Banned

As a big fan of Ducktales, Gummy Bears, and Tailspin, I can affirm that Rescue Rangers was excruciating. Just terrible.

And kids today have zero idea what it is. They know Chip n Dale. They’re still marketed. But Rescue Rangers? No way.
Plot twist. The Rescue Rangers showed up in an inexplicable cameo in the new Ducktales. And all the old RR episodes are on Disney plus and my 12 year old loves it.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-20-20)
Old 05-17-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I was hoping the cameo would be more than it was. No lines or anything. It was more of a blink and you'll miss it type thing.
Old 05-20-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Plot details for Rangers are being squirreled away, but it will not be an origin story nor detective agency story. Rather, the take is being described as being meta, something self-referential and cool. Dan Gregor and Doug Mand wrote the script.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 12-10-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Old 12-10-20, 06:07 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Ok... The Lonely Island version of Chip N Dale is something I want to see.
Old 12-10-20, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Always loved the old show and the NES game was great, one of my most played games from that era.

Hope they don’t get too weird with a modern take - the original was basically Magnum PI and Indiana Jones as rodents.
Old 02-15-22, 09:15 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

Rescuing the world takes a pair.

A comeback 30 years in the making, the hybrid live-action/CG animated action-comedy catches up with the former Disney Afternoon television stars in modern-day Los Angeles. “Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers” premieres May 20, 2022, exclusively on Disney+.

“Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers” stars John Mulaney (“Saturday Night Live”) as Chip, Andy Samberg (“Palm Springs”) as Dale and KiKi Layne (“If Beale Street Could Talk”). Also joining the cast are Will Arnett (“Arrested Development”), Eric Bana (“Dirty John”), Flula Borg (“Pitch Perfect 2”), Dennis Haysbert (“24”), Keegan-Michael Key (“Schmigadoon!”), Tress MacNeille (“The Simpsons”), Tim Robinson (“I Think You Should Leave”), Seth Rogen (“Pam and Tommy”), J.K. Simmons (“Being the Ricardos”), Chris Parnell (“Saturday Night Live”). The film is directed by Akiva Schaffer (“Saturday Night Live”), written by Dan Gregor and Doug Mand (“Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”) and is produced by Todd Lieberman (“Wonder”) and David Hoberman (“Beauty and the Beast”), with Alexander Young (“Extinction”) and Tom Peitzman serving as executive producers.

In “Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers,” Chip and Dale are living amongst cartoons and humans in modern-day Los Angeles, but their lives are quite different now. It has been decades since their successful television series was canceled, and Chip (voice of Mulaney) has succumbed to a life of suburban domesticity as an insurance salesman. Dale (voice of Sandberg), meanwhile, has had CGI surgery and works the nostalgia convention circuit, desperate to relive his glory days. When a former cast mate mysteriously disappears, Chip and Dale must repair their broken friendship and take on their Rescue Rangers detective personas once again to save their friend’s life.
story (02-15-22)
Old 02-15-22, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts
Re: Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers (2022, D: Schaffer) S: Samberg, Mulaney - live action/CG hybrid

That looks better than it has any right to be. The movie may still suck but at least that trailer made it look decent.
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-15-22, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Not sure what to think about that. The self-aware aspect isn’t what I expected, but it looks like it could have some fun moments. Not sure if I like that Chip is classically animated and Dale is more of a CG animated character. Since it’s going to be on Disney+ I’ll check it out most likely.
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-15-22, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Whoa, an appearance by Roger Rabbit.
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-15-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I also saw Scrooge McDuck and My Little Ponies, there's probably others. Oh, also a few bars of the Indiana Jones theme.

But yeah, this looks fun, and a great way to settle the cel animation vs CGI debate by putting it as a plot point and calling it out.

I'm cautiously excited.
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-15-22, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
And Paula Abdul and MC Skat Kat

I pretty much hate Chip 'n Dale, but this looks twisted enough for me to view.
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)
Old 02-15-22, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Love the digs at Beowulf's animation style
John Pannozzi (02-17-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.