Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars ...is the franchise a joke now?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars ...is it a joke now?
Yes
40.00%
No
37.14%
What are you high?
22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars ...is the franchise a joke now?

Old 01-28-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Re: Star Wars ...is the franchise a joke now?

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
The moment the franchise became a joke for me was Star Wars Angry Birds. I'll never lose my love for the original trilogy and admire bits of the prequels, but man, Angry Birds Han Solo? Screw THAT noise.
I hope you're not a big fan of transformers, because if Hasbro's 2014 catalog is true...
Old 01-29-14, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Be esoteric and make a Shannon Doherty reference.

Two-for-one deal.

Originally Posted by Jason
With the exception of one really bad secondary character, they're not the horrible train wrecks everyone makes them out to be.
I never thought Episode 1 was a terrible movie, it just wasn't a good one.

And what made it a terrible was the fans. Nothing was worse than seeing "grown men" pick on a 10yr old boy for his acting ability.
Old 01-29-14, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE

And what made it a terrible was the fans. Nothing was worse than seeing "grown men" pick on a 10yr old boy for his acting ability.
Sure there were people who burying Jake Lloyd's acting, as stuff like that is just going to happen when you have such a big and diverse fanbase as SW fans.
I think the overriding beef with Jake Lloyd is that Lucas chose to introduce Anakin as a 10 year old in Episode I, and then the floodgates of criticism opened from there. If Lucas would have had Anakin in his early 20's (played by the same actor for 3 movies), then I think it would have resonated better with the fanbase because you didn't have this jarring 10 year jump when we goto Episode II and with a whole new actor.

As for your statement Episode was made terrible because of the fans, this happens with EVERY sequel/prequel these days! Heck you are seeing it before movies are even being released, as think of all the hysteria about Ben Affleck playing Batman last summer! I am not a big XMen fan, but I know the diehards hated XMen: The Last Stand. Remember Superman:Returns and all the criticism that movie got as many older fans compared it to the Christopher Reeve movies? Heck, I could go on and on about movie franchise sequels and the fanbases criticisms of them all day....
Old 01-29-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
Wait, what?
DOH!! I meant ST, not PT...
Old 01-29-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcnabb
I am not a big XMen fan, but I know the diehards hated XMen: The Last Stand. Remember Superman:Returns and all the criticism that movie got as many older fans compared it to the Christopher Reeve movies? Heck, I could go on and on about movie franchise sequels and the fanbases criticisms of them all day....
X3 and SR were both criticized because they were thought to be bad films by many people who saw them though, that has more to do with it than anything else.
Old 01-29-14, 04:10 PM

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don't know why, but for some reason your post inspired this (some liberties taken with spelling)...

Are(2-D2) you seriously asking this question? If you click on any Star Wars thread, you land(o Calrissian) in the middle another discussion which is beating the topic to death(Star). This is another shit-storm(Trooper). Can't you see(3-PO) this is just redundant(Beru)?

Even if we have all the right answers, you will just argue we have Alderaan answers. It is just another screw job(ba the Hutt).
And here I've been looking for Han in Alderaan places.
Old 01-29-14, 04:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don't know why, but for some reason your post inspired this (some liberties taken with spelling)...

Are(2-D2) you seriously asking this question? If you click on any Star Wars thread, you land(o Calrissian) in the middle another discussion which is beating the topic to death(Star). This is another shit-storm(Trooper). Can't you see(3-PO) this is just redundant(Beru)?

Even if we have all the right answers, you will just argue we have Alderaan answers. It is just another screw job(ba the Hutt).
this is fucking brilliant!!
Old 01-29-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

I dareth(Vader) say that it was a modest piece of work. While I chew(bacca) on writing another one, I cannot help but be a bit salacious(crumb). These things are so many (princess)layers that it takes time. If I think for a while, I may be able to (Boba)fit another one into my schedule.

I have to go now. I have to give my neighbor a ride to work. Most days (ewoks) because he received a DUI after having too much (Qui Gon) gin.
Old 01-31-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Sure there were people who burying Jake Lloyd's acting, as stuff like that is just going to happen when you have such a big and diverse fanbase as SW fans.
I think the overriding beef with Jake Lloyd is that Lucas chose to introduce Anakin as a 10 year old in Episode I, and then the floodgates of criticism opened from there. If Lucas would have had Anakin in his early 20's (played by the same actor for 3 movies), then I think it would have resonated better with the fanbase because you didn't have this jarring 10 year jump when we goto Episode II and with a whole new actor.
There were many a thing that irked me about fans reactions to the movie. Fans blasting this kid, and his acting ability, was the one that seemed the most overly pathetic. Had all the gripes been worded how you worded it, I don't think I would feel the way I do today. The character was too young for the movie...he should have been at least mid-teens, but that was a Lucas issue.

The point I'm trying to make is that listening to the fans pretty made me think less of the movies, and I'm not particularly happy they had the power to do that. Which is why after that point I stopped caring about what "fans" say.

As for your statement Episode was made terrible because of the fans, this happens with EVERY sequel/prequel these days! Heck you are seeing it before movies are even being released, as think of all the hysteria about Ben Affleck playing Batman last summer!
That Affleck debacle was one of the stupidest nerd rages I've seen in awhile. I understand feeling passionate about movies and characters, I do that myself. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. But listening to a bunch of people gripe about something without even seeing the outcome just screams to me "Star Wars prequels" all over again.